PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Block 7mm,safe with modern ammo?

madcaster
10-15-2008, 02:52 PM
7X57mm of course,is it safe with current factory ammo?:coffee:
Thanks,
Jeff

Cactus Farmer
10-15-2008, 04:20 PM
YES!!!

The 7mm RBs were the strongest ever made. And rimless extractors too. :coffeecom

The Double D
10-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Just be forwarned becasue of the flex of the action brass won't last very long. You can prolong the life by indexing the brass and only resizing enough for the brass to fit back in the chamber so the hamer will drop with interference.

mazo kid
10-15-2008, 05:47 PM
And also be aware that the modern brass may not properly head space in the rifle. If this is the case, seat a boollit out in a lightly loaded round until the breech block will just close on the round and then fire it. This should bump the shoulder ahead so the headspace will be OK. This has worked for me.

Buckshot
10-16-2008, 02:24 AM
..............I have an 1897 in 7x57 and have fired generic green and yellow box R-P factory ammo in it. I would NOT shoot any European ammo, nor any of the 'Special' 7x57. That is any of the sort of "Lite Mag" or similar.

My RB uses neck sized brass only. Upon firing, the caseneck opens enough to allow a 30 cal slug drop through! While it IS accurate with bost Boolits and Bullets, it is tough on brass without annealing every 4-5 reloads.

................Buckshot

4060MAY
10-16-2008, 09:20 AM
There has been two articles about this subject.
one in the Fouling Shot, and one in Garbe's magazine, Black Powder Cartridge News.

It was determined the Rolling Blocks were NOT 7x57 but 7mm Spanish/Mexican IIRC

longhorn
10-16-2008, 08:23 PM
I own 2 rollers, one a Pedersoli from 15 or so years ago, one a modern re-barrel of an ancient Remington. I wouldn't shoot a smokeless load in either one, but then I'm rather fond of all my body parts. It's a black powder design, IMHO pushed past it's design limits with the 7mm smokeless chambering. If I were you, I'd research this thoroughly, not just ask an opinionated internet bunch like us. The articles referenced above are a good place to start. Oh, and look up some pictures of RB failures-verrrry interesting!

MtGun44
10-16-2008, 09:35 PM
I have a 7mm RB that I shoot regularly with factory equiv handloads with
the 175 Hornady Rn. I shoot Fed 175 RN in it occasionally and carry it for
hunting as it is extremely accurate in this rifle.

Load to "normal" 7x57 pressurs only and you will be fine. DO NOT hotrod
this rifle in this caliber. I load well above the 45,000 psi loads for my
Ruger 77 in 7x57, but NEVER for the much beloved RB.

Try 36 gr 4064 under the Horn 175 Rn crimped lightly in the cannelure. VERY
accurate in mine and mild. Max is around 42 gr with a jacketed 175gr.
This one is on my 'to do' list for fitting a boolit to the old and worn bore.

+1 on neck size to extend brass life.

Bill