PDA

View Full Version : 30 cal 180 gr flat point weights

R Hoskin
03-02-2019, 11:07 PM
Several years ago I came into possession of a 3lb peanut butter container of ,I believe, 30 cal cast bullets cast from a lyman 180 grain flat point gas check mould. I have put Lee's alox bullet lube and the Hornady .30 cal gas checks on 50 bullets. I weighed about 5 and they ranged between 172.2 to 183. something. I want to load some up for use in my 30.06. Should I weigh up several and group them according to weight then load? Any ideas will help. Thanks, Rod.

army_doc
03-03-2019, 02:21 AM
With the weights varying that much I would weight 15 or so and use the heaviest weight for the load data that you choose I.E. 185 Gr was the heaviest I would use data for 185 grain.

I guess I really should be asking, are you just loading these as plinking ammo or are you wanting to load for accuracy?

R Hoskin
03-06-2019, 10:05 PM
These will be plinking only. I should weigh them with lube and gas checks installed then I presume? Would there be any loads in the differant manuals for this weight? Thanks, Rod.

GhostHawk
03-06-2019, 10:12 PM
For plinking I stopped weighing boolits 4 years ago. Just never could see enough difference to make it worth while.

Now if I was shooting competition, those I would weigh. And I would cast about 5 x as many as I wanted. And sort into groups all that were within say half a grain of each other.

army_doc
03-06-2019, 11:31 PM
For plinking I stopped weighing boolits 4 years ago. Just never could see enough difference to make it worth while.

Now if I was shooting competition, those I would weigh. And I would cast about 5 x as many as I wanted. And sort into groups all that were within say half a grain of each other.

That is great advice I don't weigh bullets either for plinking

army_doc
03-06-2019, 11:31 PM
Yeah I would weigh them Lubed and checked and what powder do you intend on using maybe I can find you some load data

R Hoskin
03-08-2019, 07:31 PM
I'l get a list. 3031 for sure. We'll my list of rifle powders consist of. IMR 3031/4895/4320/4250/4064. Alliant Reloader 22 and H4831.

Lloyd Smale
03-10-2019, 09:10 AM
even competitive handgun shooting (most of it anyway) its a waste of time to get that anal. Maybe if your shooting in a serious bullseye league. With rifles if anything the difference between a grain or two of bullet weight is even less noticeable unless your trying to shoot the tiniest group possible at 200 yards. Show you how much more anal were are then we need to be. Back years ago I was on a 280 kick. Had 6 of them. My favorite was a push feed Winchester featherweight that shot lights out with many loads. My buddy owned a guns shop and one day I was in there and he gave me 7 boxes of 165 corelocks. Had no use for the ammo but figured it was free brass anyway. Went home and pulled 4 boxes down and threw the powder away and tossed the bullets in a box. Some time later I noticed the other 3 boxes of shells and figure what the heck im going to shoot them in the featherweight and see how they did. 3 5 shot groups averaged just under an inch. Not the best that gun ever did but not the worse either. I got home and was wondering what the used for powder. So I pulled 5 down and powder charges were all over the place. I pulled down the whole box and measured each one and the powder charges varied as much as 5 grains from the highest to lowest. Now im not talking .5 of a grain im talking 5 full grains! and they still shot moa. You think a couple grain of bullet weight would have made more difference. My guess is less if anything.