PDA

View Full Version : A quick questions about Lead.

Pilgrimboy
03-02-2019, 05:17 PM
Hi Folk,
I have done a quick search on "Window weights" and it seems very few find them made of lead. I have come across some (2"X14" @ 10#'s) for sale in my neck of the woods. $10 a weight would be a buck a pound but I don't know if this stuff has enough lead in it to be worth buying.237201

Froogal
03-02-2019, 05:50 PM
I have seen many window weights. I even have several of them in the scrap pile. I've never seen one that wasn't made of solid cast iron.

Winger Ed.
03-02-2019, 06:23 PM
I've only seen them in cast iron.
But at $1 pound, I don't think that's much of a bargain,
unless you needed them to go in old wood frame windows.

Mitch
03-02-2019, 06:58 PM
magnet is your friend I agree a bit hi on the price if they are lead.i have never seen any that were not cast iron either.

rancher1913
03-02-2019, 07:30 PM
for a buck a pound you can get lead delivered to your door already in ingot form by several of the sponsors on here.

poppy42
03-02-2019, 07:35 PM
I have seen many window weights. I even have several of them in the scrap pile. I've never seen one that wasn't made of solid cast iron.

I also have never seen one that was Anything but cast-iron! And as for the $1.00 a pound, I just sold clip on wheel weights cast into ingots for a dollar a pound! So a dollar a pound for window sash weights is in no way any kind of bargain! Even if they did have lead in them which I seriously doubt that they do!

Hossfly
03-02-2019, 07:41 PM
Pilgrimboy that pic looks like lead, if were iron would be rusty color, unless its lead covered iron. I would check with magnet, if it not ferrous, i would offer $1.00 per piece. Although it could be zinc.
Then you would need some muritic acid to test for fiz.

RED BEAR
03-02-2019, 10:09 PM
A dollar a pound i believe i would pass. Check here a dollar a pound or close seems to be the going rate. I have bought lead from scrap yard that wasn't exactly lead . After fluxing a dozen or so times i ended up with something i could use.

lightman
03-02-2019, 11:27 PM
I've never seen window weights that were lead but those in your picture sure look like it. You should be able to tell for sure if they are lead. A dollar a pound sounds kind of high to me. As the others have said, you can buy ingots for a dollar a pound plus shipping that are ready to go.