PDA

View Full Version : Taurus brings back life time warranty. Just got an email from them.

BigAlofPa.
03-01-2019, 01:24 PM
We are excited to announce the implementation of the new Taurus® Limited Lifetime Warranty. In developing this policy, we incorporated feedback received from our dedicated handgun owners and enthusiasts, based on what they wanted to see in a handgun warranty. Our customers will be pleased to learn the following Taurus handguns, previously covered under a one-year warranty, will now be covered under a Limited Lifetime Warranty:

Taurus® G2c, G2s, TH series, Taurus TX22, 1911 Commander, 1911 Officer, Taurus Spectrum®, Raging Hunter®, 856, and 692 revolvers.

The new Taurus Limited Lifetime Warranty policy warrants to the original purchaser that the firearm was made free of defects in material, function, and workmanship, and promises that Taurus will remedy any defect in material, function, or workmanship for the entire time the original purchaser owns the firearm. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the firearm upon successful and timely warranty activation and is not transferable to subsequent firearm owners. To activate this warranty, original purchasers must complete the warranty registration process online at https://warranty.taurususa.com or call Taurus at (800) 327-3776 within thirty (30) days of the purchase date. If activation of the Limited Lifetime Warranty does not take place, a one-year warranty will be in effect.

JBinMN
03-01-2019, 01:29 PM
Thanks for sharing!

While this is great for some, it appears that the full sized Taurus 1911 Govt. 45ACP that I own is not covered, based on the list posted.
Not really a concern, since I am aware of their "voiding" the warranty rules, and shooting cast applies apparently, but it makes me wonder, "Why" the other Taurus firearms they produce/sell were "not" included in that lifetime deal....

BigAlofPa.
03-01-2019, 01:34 PM
I don't think they can tell if you shoot cast and reload or not. Especially if you give the gun a through cleaning before sending it in. I had to send my 10mm back to RIA. I broke the barrel link. I was shooting some hot loads in it. They fixed it. Replaced the barrel and link and fitted everything. No questions asked.

JBinMN
03-01-2019, 02:02 PM
I don't think they can tell if you shoot cast and reload or not. Especially if you give the gun a through cleaning before sending it in. I had to send my 10mm back to RIA. I broke the barrel link. I was shooting some hot loads in it. They fixed it. Replaced the barrel and link and fitted everything. No questions asked.

I agree. That is likely the case about their not knowing, with a well cleaned firearm.

I was wondering more about the lack of other Taurus firearms on the list that what I saw, than I was about voiding a warranty thru using cast, or any reloads even, lifetime or not. I may have not been clear on that when I posted earlier.

I may even get around to emailing them about that lifetime list, but I will ponder on it more first before I do.

I have found that many/some times, thinking something out, before opening ones mouth, prevents some issues. Not all the time, but sometimes.
;)

Thanks again for the info shared!
:)

FergusonTO35
03-02-2019, 11:53 AM
From what I can tell, Taurus has had both a warranty and a "lifetime service policy". My understanding is, if they call it a warranty then certain legal obligations come into play. Apparently, calling it a policy or guarantee allows them to advertise a de facto warranty without the legal obligations of an actual warranty, more like a promise that they can adjust or back out of as needed. I believe S&W's Lifetime Service Guarantee is the same thing.

To their credit, I purchased a gently used Braztech Rossi 461 and discovered it had a yawning .013 barrel to cylinder gap. As I remember, that revolver was covered by a one year warranty to the original purchaser. I sent it to the Taurus warranty place in Florida with a note explaining what was wrong. Made no mention of whether or not I was the original owner, figured that if they wanted to enforce that rule they could just ask me. Taurus installed a new barrel and cylinder with no drama or questions asked, and it has been a great little wheelgun ever since.

lefty o
03-02-2019, 06:17 PM
doesnt much matter what they call it, as they have a reputation of not standing behind it.

JBinMN
03-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Earlier post Edited... & saved in case I need to post it again later......

I hope the earlier post went thru notifications & got to those who needed it...

d4xycrq
03-02-2019, 08:45 PM
I sent a Taurus revolver back for flaking finish. (was a electroless nickel plate like finish) Taurus told me to pound sand. Lifetime warranty didn't cover the finish. Lifetime Taurus hater after that. Being the 'gun guy' in my circles, I got asked now and again about Taurus products. Absolutely not.

No change. Life's too short for crappy guns.

Ray

JBinMN
03-02-2019, 08:51 PM
I sent a Taurus revolver back for flaking finish. (was a electroless nickel plate like finish) Taurus told me to pound sand. Lifetime warranty didn't cover the finish. Lifetime Taurus hater after that. Being the 'gun guy' in my circles, I got asked now and again about Taurus products. Absolutely not.

No change. Life's too short for crappy guns.

Ray
Well, at least ya take the time to say, "why", ya don't like Taurus.

Some folks don't...

My experience with them, since the mid 80's is just the opposite. They have taken care of everything I asked them to do.

I guess everyone gets a "lemon" on occasion, no matter who is the mnfr...

Bigslug
03-02-2019, 09:01 PM
doesnt much matter what they call it, as they have a reputation of not standing behind it.

Yep. At gun shop I worked in during the early 2000's, we decided to no longer order any more of the product in after we had a couple instances of "Well. . .the lifetime warranty only applies when it's a problem we can fix. Since we can't fix this one (minor problems), we'll be perfectly happy to sell your customer a new one at a discounted rate. . .". Imagine the customer's joy when they were informed that this would also require along a new background check fee, waiting period, notification of no longer being in possession of the original SN#, etc. . .

Consequently, I now consider purchasing a Taurus a gamble akin to picking up the soap in prison.

Boogieman
03-02-2019, 09:21 PM
I had a TAURUS 1911 the slide stop quit working at less than 200 rounds. Called them they said they would send a new one next week . one month later I called again it's on it's way, 11 months later it showed up. I had installed an Ed Brown stop and traded the Taurus for a Colt 1991A1.

JBinMN
03-02-2019, 09:33 PM
It appears my earlier post that I edited made it thru the forum grapevine.

GOOD!

About **** time!

If ya gonna complain, at least say, "WHY.". Otherwise, I just call it, "bitchin' & whinin'!".

While I disagree due to my own experiences, Thanks! to those "bold" enough to take the time to explain their opinions.
At least, they become, "complaints", & not the above B&W "drive by" posts...

bruce drake
03-02-2019, 10:05 PM
My Model 65 doesn't come up on their serial tracker but it still shoots well enough for 50 and 25 yrd lines of fire when I do NRA Bullseye Pistol Matches so I'm happy with it.

Bruce

nun2kute
03-02-2019, 10:44 PM
" I have found that many/some times, thinking something out, before opening ones mouth, prevents some issues. Not all the time, but sometimes."

No disrespect to you, or Taurus but ...
Well ... ummm ... I think I will just "HighJack" myself over to the Political forum and leave that here. I'll just laugh by myself on that one.

T_McD
03-02-2019, 11:11 PM
Well considering the price point of the Taurus line, what kind of service do you expect? People spend thousands of dollars on cars and don’t expect Chevy to fix every issue but by god my $200 gun better run like a champ!!

I’m no Taurus fan cuz I think there are better options at similar price points for several offerings, but some of y’all need to set realistic expectations.