PDA

View Full Version : A little shop time

Bret4207
10-15-2008, 09:19 AM
On my final vacation before retirement these last 2 weeks. Beautiful weather! Got to spend a few hours out in the shop cleaning, sorting, fixing and generally enjoying myself. I took the 12 boxes of clothes to the Salvation Army (good people!!!), put my kids dirt bike back together (10 months for a valve job!), made up a few gizmos, gadgets and thingamabobs, rewired some stuff and found a lot of things I forget I even owned. Got some lathe time in boring out some manure spreader drive sprockets to convert an old M-D 200 spreader from type "S" chain to the more common "67H". Doing that convinced me I need a bigger lathe, again. Sharpened up all my woods tools, made blade guards and managed to slice my hand open on a double bit ax while fitting the guard, OUCH! Took the time to paint all those woods tools up in red/yellow so I can find them easier. Found out my portable battery charger has gone belly up. Also found I have at least 5 dead tractor/spare batteries, several dead alternators, 2 chainsaws I forget I had and 800 rounds of surplus 303 Brit ammo. Got some painting and odds and ends done, moved a bunch of manure which required fixing the Bobcat twice. My Cockshutt 30 died! Got to be electrical. Also set my Case 811B on fire when the ammeter shorted out. Luckily I got the fire out quickly as I had just gassed her up. Wiring is fairly easy when you can get her close to the shop.

More fun to be had today. I did find that having a 5 and 6 year as helpers has it's ups and downs. The good thing is they LOVE to help and fit into small places where things fall. The bad thing is they LOVE to help and fit into small places that require me getting them out- feet first!:mrgreen:

fishhawk
10-15-2008, 09:23 AM
get all that stuff done before you retire cause you won't have time after you do!

corvette8n
10-15-2008, 09:18 PM
800 rounds of .303 Brit, I hope you got something to shoot it in, ought to take a while to shoot that up at the range.

MtGun44
10-16-2008, 02:50 AM
Congratulations on your impending retirement! Sounds like you are
already getting into the fun of doing whatever YOU want to do - with
permission from the Chief. [smilie=1:

Bill

Bret4207
10-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Retirement for me just means going from one job to another. With luck I'll be back into small engine/farm repair and maybe a bit of gun trading by this time next year.