PDA

View Full Version : Lead weights banned by 2011?

Goldstar225
10-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Just received the November edition of Motorcycle Consumer News yesterday. On page six (MC bulletins) they report that the EPA has struck an agreement with "several big box stores and tire manufacturers" to end the use of lead wheel weights by 2011. In addition, allegedly, the Center for Environmental Health has reached an agreement with Chrysler and the three largest manufacturersof lead weights to ban the weights in California by the end of 2009.

If true, aside from hurting our efforts to scrouge used wheelweights, do you think that this will drop lead prices further due to reduced demand?

Old Ironsights
10-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Maybe. There is always China...

But then, if they really succeed in making WWs illegal because they are "hazardous" - what kind of permitting procedure/rectal exam demanded by the Envirodemocraps will you have to undergo to BUY such ebil stuff?

docone31
10-15-2008, 10:05 AM
I have posted a few threads on using zinc with paper patching.
I read back then an article by Ross Seyfreid on using paper to bump smaller caliber jacketeds to bore size with paper when supplies got low for a particular caliber.
Why not with zinc?
If your .30cal bores at .301, or then wrap to .309, or .308. Casting design would be different, and it would not be just like reaching into a box and loading them up, but at least we could continue.
Just a thought.

44Magnum
10-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Am I the only one that is sick of all this feel-good banning? Lead can be recycled.

Bullshop
10-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I have to laugh when I read "the epa has struck an agreement" with these businesses.
I talked with a recycling yard in fairbanks that I get my lead from. I noticed there was a lot of clean up work going on with his lead. Things being palatised then put in steel containers. I asked why and he said epa is makeing him do it due to the hazmat status.
I told him that epa has not listed lead as a hazmat and I dont think they will. Its in too many places and things and a hazmat status with the atendant hazmat transport fee would raise the cost of anything with lead so high no one could afford it. Think about how many times any consumer product gets shipped before it reaches the ultimat consumer.
He said he knew that but said if I dont do as they ask do you know how miserable they can make my life. So in the long run it is cheaper to accept thier will forced upon you than to defy them and go by the law. Is that extortion? In the USA? By a government entity? My but how differant we are from what we are supposed to be. Lord have mercy!
Blessings
BIC/BS

JesterGrin_1
10-15-2008, 11:47 AM
By George I think he has it lol. Yes it is extortion. And they do this with many agencies not just the EPA. It goes down from the gov down to your local city. But they know there is nothing that a person can really do as it is far cheaper to comply than to fight it and in the end probably loose since it is by them.

I am not happy with it on many levels but that is just how things are now. :(

Here is a one that is local. I was working on a friends 66 Corvette but the registration was out of date since it was not running and it was in my drive way since at the time I did not have room in my garage since I was working on something else lol. A City Code Compliance person came by and said since it does not have current plates and is in sight I would have 3 days to comply or it would be hauled off as a junk vehicle. He did offer to purchase it from me for $1000.oo lol. So I had to get into a hurry to make room in the garage and put it inside which only took me a couple of days. But yes he was back on the 3rd day and said so where did it go. I said I sold it for $500.oo lol.

To this end they make new laws all of the time to generate money. And since they make it a law it is legal to steal. :(

dwtim
10-15-2008, 07:29 PM
"Just received the November edition of Motorcycle Consumer News yesterday. On page six (MC bulletins) they report that the EPA has struck an agreement with 'several big box stores and tire manufacturers' to end the use of lead wheel weights by 2011."

Struck a deal? Is that a code for: power not granted, but exercising it anyway?

targetshootr
10-15-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm worried that my city may decide you can't keep lead of any kind on your property which is why I try to keep a low profile. Heck, if I called I bet they'd say it's already a law so I won't open that can of worms. Time to move toward the hills I guess.

357maximum
10-15-2008, 07:59 PM
With the pooled assets of all like minds you would thing we could afford a rather nice island somewhere outside of any juristictions of any sorts. the only problem we would have is fist fights over mining rights at the range....I can live with that:-D

crazy mark
10-15-2008, 11:59 PM
By George I think he has it lol. Yes it is extortion. And they do this with many agencies not just the EPA. It goes down from the gov down to your local city. But they know there is nothing that a person can really do as it is far cheaper to comply than to fight it and in the end probably loose since it is by them.

I am not happy with it on many levels but that is just how things are now. :(

Here is a one that is local. I was working on a friends 66 Corvette but the registration was out of date since it was not running and it was in my drive way since at the time I did not have room in my garage since I was working on something else lol. A City Code Compliance person came by and said since it does not have current plates and is in sight I would have 3 days to comply or it would be hauled off as a junk vehicle. He did offer to purchase it from me for $1000.oo lol. So I had to get into a hurry to make room in the garage and put it inside which only took me a couple of days. But yes he was back on the 3rd day and said so where did it go. I said I sold it for $500.oo lol.

To this end they make new laws all of the time to generate money. And since they make it a law it is legal to steal. :(

About 20 years ago I was restoring a '64 Comet caliente and it was in my back yard with the engine and tranny out of it and the hood where it should have been. I got a ticket for having a hazard in my yard because a neighbor complained. I got the ticket reversed because I went a talked with the Chief of Police and told him he better have plenty of ticket books handy because on the next Monday he would have a list of all the junk cars and a formal complaint. I told him I had the engine and tranny in my garage and was rebuilding them and worked for a living so I didn't have all day to work on them and I'd be done in about another week. They never bothered me again, even when I had 2 cars doing a engine transplant from one to the other.
We could drive the EPA crazy making complaints about everything but wheel weights.

pps
10-16-2008, 12:20 AM
"We could drive the EPA crazy making complaints about everything but wheel weights."

:mrgreen: