PDA

View Full Version : I kick myself (Bullseye can)

richj
02-28-2019, 02:19 PM
I don't remember when, but I threw this out years ago.

http://home.pipeline.com/~shootzn/bullseye-1.jpg

TNsailorman
02-28-2019, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I have thrown away a few of those cans (several different powders) in the distant past. Unfortunately not just these can but other items that would really make nice displays today. Oh well, james

redriverhunter
02-28-2019, 05:02 PM
I got an older powder can not even open. I keep wondering if I should open it or leave it?

oneofsix
02-28-2019, 11:09 PM
I have a similar can, but Red Dot. It shoots just fine. I'll keep it when it's empty unless it turns out to be right valuable.

Silvercreek Farmer
02-28-2019, 11:25 PM
So did most other normal people. That is why they are worth something today!

Bazoo
03-01-2019, 03:38 AM
What is a can like that worth?

Went2kck
03-01-2019, 07:04 AM
I have a Hercules 11 can that is full and unopened. No load data on it that I can find. I even called accurate and they have nothing said it hasn't ben made for some time we got nothing. Not sure what its worth but it interesting to have just the same

rando71
10-12-2019, 05:07 PM
I'm still loading from 2 cans of that.

Slugster
10-12-2019, 05:14 PM
I had an old Alcan AL-5 can that I got tired of dragging around back in the 80's and tossed it out. Still bothers me.

abunaitoo
10-20-2019, 05:10 PM
I have a few of those cans.
Some still with powder.
On a few of them, I cut the top off, and use them to hold stuff on the desk/work bench.

KCSO
10-21-2019, 01:59 PM
Gee I have a closet full of those old things left over from my Father in Law, I am still using AL 8 from a couple of them. I may just post the empties if someone wants them.

farmerjim
10-21-2019, 02:30 PM
I have a full unopened can of AL-5 with the $ 1.18 price tag from globe discount city on my desk now. I have another one, and a can of AL-8 in my reloading room. I would have bought more, but it was too expensive for my 12 gauge loads. I was getting Herco for $6 for a 4 lb metal keg. I still have some of it in the keg, and am using it for pistol loads. I have a bunch of the old (unopened) IMR metal cans from the 60's that I paid $ 1.65 each from Herters.

beemer
10-29-2019, 02:03 PM
I have one with the tag, Charlies Bait Shop, Conover, NC., price was $2.65. That was the go to place till the early 80's. Someone gave me that unopened can a couple years ago, still does fine.

robbyPGP2014
01-12-2020, 09:31 PM
I waked into a small town gun shop in western K y Fri. afternoon and saw two 1lb cans of BE, one of them was identical the 1 in the OP, the other almost the same. The owner told method were there when the previous owner retired and he bought the shop. I couldn't help myself and bought them both for 20$.

Outpost75
01-12-2020, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I had several of those cans. REALLY got people buzzed up when I reported 37 grs. of RL9 in my .308 Hunter Bench gun after I explained that I had a half can of RL7 and another of RL11 AND mixed them after I won the match...

These days I am using RL13-1/2 mixing RL12 and RL15.... go figure.....

trebor44
01-14-2020, 12:17 PM
I have a Hercules 11 can that is full and unopened. No load data on it that I can find. I even called accurate and they have nothing said it hasn't ben made for some time we got nothing. Not sure what its worth but it interesting to have just the same

Just saw this on the site and wanted to note the "Lyman 45th edition" has data for RX11. I have used it for 25-06 loads on several bullets. The data is out there.

Dufferin
03-31-2020, 05:30 PM
A friend of mine was cleaning up an old "crawl" space in his Dad's house and found a bunch of "flat fifty" cigarette tins. His father had keep them for putting old photos and such in as the mice could not nibble them. Those old tins were worth quite a few dollars to collectors.

dartem
04-07-2020, 02:33 PM
I recently came into unopened cans of Reloder 12, a one lb'er and an eight lb'er...smells good and works fine. Using for .30/06 to start with.
Was able to purchase some vintage Hercules and Reliant Reloaders Guides.
Regards.

Airman Basic
04-07-2020, 03:23 PM
My avatar is empty, I'm afraid.

TNsailorman
04-07-2020, 03:45 PM
I would like to find one or two of those old bullseye cans in really good condition. I still use bullseye in my pistols and revolvers and I am not a great big fan of the new plastic cans (even though I know they are probably better).

308w
04-07-2020, 04:28 PM
I have a couple cans of 5066 pistol powder.
One is unopened.
You can find old and I mean old data for it.
Far as I can tell it is fine.
I should load a few from the opened can just to say I done it.

Airman Basic
04-07-2020, 04:31 PM
I would like to find one or two of those old bullseye cans in really good condition. I still use bullseye in my pistols and revolvers and I am not a great big fan of the new plastic cans (even though I know they are probably better).
Don't know why exactly, but don't think I've seen one without a little rust inside. Don't know if the nitro percentage of the old powder, or just age or both.

nikonuser
04-07-2020, 04:35 PM
for those of you with this antique powder,

feel like doing some scientific experimenting with your chronograph and compare the period load data versus the newest load data for it?

shaggybull
04-07-2020, 05:19 PM
I have a few with Unique and Bullseye

Got-R-Did
04-26-2020, 12:13 AM
Bought this from my Mentor when he decided to get out of Handloading about 15 years ago.
It was still sealed, and I have loaded thousands of rounds from it. It is now empty, but I keep it around as a reminder of good times past in the company of one of the finest men I have ever known. Spencer passed away in Jan of 2011.

Got-R-Did.

slim1836
04-29-2020, 11:38 PM
I too keep things of friends and family members that have passed. They may not be of value to others, but to me they are special. They will stay with me until I pass and then what my wife does is up to her.

Slim

RogerDat
04-30-2020, 03:10 PM
Plastic bottles for powder offer one distinct advantage they would soften (if not melt) in a fire well before the powder inside would be likely to ignite. Melting uses heat so it might even hold the contents at a little cooler point for longer. The plastic bottles are not strong enough to act as a "case" that allows pressure from ignition to build to detonation levels in a fire. Will burn, not likely to explode.

The modern plastic bottles also are sort of anonymous, just a plastic bottle with a label on it. The old tins being painted are much more works of art. However the price stickers on those bottles will be good conversation starters someday I'm sure. I have a box of Laser Cast with a price sticker of $28 and change. Cabela's has the same item today for over $60 so those plastic bottles may never be super collectable but "you only paid how much for that 8# jug?" will be a perfect launch point into discussion of the good old days of WW's and cheap powder. :-)

fatelk
05-07-2020, 06:23 PM
for those of you with this antique powder,

feel like doing some scientific experimenting with your chronograph and compare the period load data versus the newest load data for it?

I did just that (sort of anyhow) a couple years ago. It was 100 year old Bullseye, nicely sealed in tiny little brass canisters. :) Actually I can't guarantee the loose rounds were for sure Bullseye, but a sealed box of vintage 45 acp rounds listed Bullseye powder, and velocity at 800 fps, if I remember correctly. I shot 7 rounds dated 1917. The one that went over the chronograph clocked 803 fps, as I recall. I was impressed.

1hole
05-08-2020, 11:10 AM
I have one with the tag, Charlies Bait Shop, Conover, NC., price was $2.65. That was the go to place till the early 80's. Someone gave me that unopened can a couple years ago, still does fine.

Conover is a two hour drive east of me but I used to stop at Charly's when I was going that way. It was a well stocked store and reasonable prices for the 70s. In fact, I bought a set of Savage Arms Co. dies (.243) from Charley. (They are the only bad die set I've ever seen, both the sizer and seater, so I know why Savage didn't last long.)

Ah well ... all that was in another life, long ago and far away before political "liberals" had the power to make everything "better". All "for the children", you know ...

root
05-13-2020, 10:40 AM
Here is my bullseye

I also have unopend boxes of 1908 colt 32's and primes and well just a bunch of stuff no one sees anymore.

Boxes and boxes of the old gun stuff.

https://i.ibb.co/gwDRPWK/powder.jpg (https://ibb.co/82j7dxZ)

Customers bring it in just to get rid of it. I bring it home and stick on the shelf to look at or put it up on the the display shelf at the shop for display.

Picked up 3 boxes of 8mm NIB on strippers with the waffen amp ( eagle swastika ) head stamp back in Feb. 1942 date
Opened one box to verify it was what it was all three boxes same lot number.

imashooter2
05-13-2020, 03:56 PM
They have TV shows about interventions on people who don’t throw stuff like that away.

root
05-13-2020, 05:21 PM
They have TV shows about interventions on people who don’t throw stuff like that away.

never saw it threw my TV out to make room for stuff like that !

My buddy owns a bait shop and guys are always bringing in gun stuff LOL

Just the free coffee makes hanging around the place worth it. Never mind the old cans.

OH mine are all full they guy brought in a whole box of it and the cardboard blue dot cans too!

So no sense tossing them till I use the powder. Or what ever else is in the boxes.

Rich

IHuntDragons
05-14-2020, 02:54 PM
Beautiful can, wish I had few.

shaggybull
05-30-2020, 11:00 AM
I just opened a can of 2400 it's shooting fine

Crowley
05-30-2020, 12:37 PM
I got an older powder can not even open. I keep wondering if I should open it or leave it?
I picked up some old powder cans that were full and unopened. Including a 2400 tin exactly like that bullseye tin. After dilemmaing for a while I opened it so I wouldn’t have to worry about the powder deteriorating.
I’m actually loading up a few test rounds as the powder smelled completely fine. Mild loads and will watch velocities for erratic speeds. Probably should have just left it clos3d. Probably would have kept for another 50 years safely. Then my kids could deal with the bomb squad after I’m gone. :grin:

hoodat
06-07-2020, 10:59 AM
I've got a couple of these that I've picked up at gun shows. Don't know the year/vintage. They were both full, unopened cans, and are now empty.:sad: jd

groovy mike
06-12-2020, 10:57 AM
I have some 2400 cans like that. Are they worth anything?

Pepe Ray
07-16-2020, 11:54 AM
I've got a bunch of old M.T. powder cans in my shed that I would LOVE to give to anyone who wants them but I can't believe anyone would be crazy enough to pay the shipping costs. "Chesterfield's smoke rings and smoke dreams". (^8

Martin Luber
07-16-2020, 12:14 PM
Those powders keep just fine, it's rifle stuff you have to keep an eye on.

I have been using BE and Unique as you show, almost identical velocity, so enjoy it.

Anyone know the difference between Norma 203 and 203b?

ELFEGO BACA
09-29-2020, 11:48 AM
268534picked this up last year from Steve at the range last year.
I’ve been using the contents for charging my 38/55 Marlin.
It seems to work!

alamogunr
09-29-2020, 12:47 PM
I haven't been reloading long enough to have any "vintage" powder cans. I've accumulated enough 8 lb jugs that I did not want to drag out every time I set up to use a particular powder, so I bought a single 1 lb can of each so I could keep out a smaller quantity of the powder I was using.

I did this mostly to avoid being tempted to use any old container with sharpie markings. Figured that would come back to bite me someday.

Any suggestions for those 8 pounders of surplus powders?

monkey wrangler
10-02-2020, 03:27 AM
Plastic bottles for powder offer one distinct advantage they would soften (if not melt) in a fire well before the powder inside would be likely to ignite. Melting uses heat so it might even hold the contents at a little cooler point for longer. The plastic bottles are not strong enough to act as a "case" that allows pressure from ignition to build to detonation levels in a fire. Will burn, not likely to explode.

The modern plastic bottles also are sort of anonymous, just a plastic bottle with a label on it. The old tins being painted are much more works of art. However the price stickers on those bottles will be good conversation starters someday I'm sure. I have a box of Laser Cast with a price sticker of $28 and change. Cabela's has the same item today for over $60 so those plastic bottles may never be super collectable but "you only paid how much for that 8# jug?" will be a perfect launch point into discussion of the good old days of WW's and cheap powder. :-)

I ran across a brick of 22LR the other day that has a Kmart sticker on it for 9.86. I wish I would have bought more then.