PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 410 problem

upnorthwis
02-28-2019, 01:03 PM
Had this interesting problem while loading 410 on a MEC Grabber. Thought I had seen everything but this is a first for me. In the foreground is the powder drop funnel with a primer pressed in the end. Apparently funnel went right through the base of the hull and captured the primer. Didn't notice a lack of primer in hull until I was putting it in the box. The shells behind it didn't have any powder due to it being backed up in the drop tube. The fun part will be getting the primer out without setting it off.

W.R.Buchanan
02-28-2019, 02:18 PM
Air Hose.

Randy

upnorthwis
02-28-2019, 02:25 PM
Was able to get it out with a 1/4" brass rod. Only took a light tap with hammer. Still have all fingers and eyes. Air would have been a better option.

rking22
02-28-2019, 05:59 PM
I keep my hulls in a box to the left of my 9000. Once when I spilled primers one went undetected into a hull. Found it he same way you did, in the powder tube! Did not feel right and discovered the issue when I slid the primed and “charged” case out to check. Took a few to figger out why it didn’t have powder. Now I move the hull box before loading primers, live and learn.

upnorthwis
03-01-2019, 01:22 PM
rking22, I think you've hit on what actually happened to me. But I'm thinking the primer went into the hull from the primer drop tube since I hadn't loaded primers in the tray in several weeks. After giving it more thought, there is no way the powder tube went through the base to get that primer. Watching the primer drop is one of the things I always look for. But take my eye off it for one cycle and that's when bad things happen.