PDA

View Full Version : Gen 5 Glock shallow throats; why?

Idaho45guy
02-27-2019, 11:53 PM
Bought a new Glock G19 Gen 5 in December and soon discovered that most of my handloads I had left over from my Gen 4 G19 wouldn't function in the new pistol.

Went on the internet and discovered that Glock shortened the throat of the Gen 5 barrels and as a result, people were having issues with some 147gr loads.

Unfortunately, my favorite bullet maker, RMR, uses a bullet profile that will not work with the new Glocks unless it is seated very deep. This makes me nervous.

So, why would Glock go and screw things up? Better accuracy for lighter bullets? I know my pistol is much more accurate with 115gr than 147gr.

And, my aftermarket Storm Lake barrel that I had on hand plunks everything just fine, as does my KKM barrel.

FergusonTO35
02-27-2019, 11:57 PM
Mebbe Glock be like, "This'll really teach 'em not to use boolits!" I'll hang on to my aftermarket tube in case I ever get a gen. 5.

35remington
02-28-2019, 12:43 AM
It has been noted that throats are increasingly a lost cause these days. Run into it myself.

DougGuy
02-28-2019, 12:47 AM
I can no longer get any carbide throating reamers made either so the remedy is indeed an aftermarket barrel. Those I can throat where if it cycles through the magazine, it will plunk in the barrel regardless of boolit.

Idaho45guy
02-28-2019, 02:20 AM
So what would be the purpose of the shallower throats? I do know that my Gen 5 is definitely more accurate than my Gen 4.

dragon813gt
02-28-2019, 07:17 AM
It’s a 9mm. That’s why it has no throat. Your can ask the same question of every manufacturer. They make barrels to shoot factory jacketed ammo. They don’t care about reloads or cast bullets.

Petrol & Powder
02-28-2019, 07:19 AM
I'm not sure there's "a purpose" to a shallow throat which is to say the shallow throat may just be the result of some engineering change and not the goal of that engineering change.

Glock did change the rifling used for the gen 5 models and the short throat may simply be a result of that change rather than the intended goal of that change.

Forrest r
02-28-2019, 09:57 AM
IMHO:
It's nothing more than cost savings, 1 less step for the mfg's to do in the bbl making process. Less time spent working on a bbl ='s less $$$ spent. Time is money.

On another website there was a post about the same thing/lack of throat in a bbl. The firearm in question was a Taurus g2 millennium. I bought 1 when they 1st came out, it had a throated bbl.
https://i.imgur.com/wQbJ5p1.jpg

The poster on the other website just bought 1 and his bbl in the newly made g2 was not throated. Don't know if they missed it while making the bbl or if it's the new "normal" for those bbl.'s. I really like the fact that the g2 (I checked before buying it) was throated and would be able to use any load. And I have yet to find a bullet it will not chamber. If it fits in the mag, it fits in the bbl.

Just another opinion

FergusonTO35
02-28-2019, 05:35 PM
I remember Ranch Dog bought a bunch of new Taurus pistols, and most had to go back to have chamber and throat problems fixed. Once that was done, he reported they worked really well.

Idaho45guy
02-28-2019, 08:12 PM
I talked to my bullet maker and they advised that many people are contacting Glock and getting new barrels. They said either that or load shorter and adjust powder levels accordingly.

NWPilgrim
03-01-2019, 12:00 AM
They are probably just machining closer to SAAMI spec for the 9mm Luger which seems designed for the pointy FMJ. I have older Hi-Powers are are very sensitive to blunter or rounder ogives and I have to seat substantially shorter with those bullets (like the Laser-Cast). Probably not shorter, just gets more narrow. I think Glock claims the G5 has a more accurate barrel.

Originally they probably machined the throat out more for reliability with various ammo. Maybe they got tired of having a reputation of great reliability and want to be like everyone else.

dkf
03-01-2019, 01:33 AM
Common issue. The barrels are hammer forged on a carbide mandrel.(like the previous gens) The mandrel is what determines the internal dimensions of the barrel. They completely changed the inside of the barrel. With the Gen5, Glock basically changed most of the gun because they could.

gwpercle
03-01-2019, 04:58 PM
A cost savings of $0.015 .... times all the guns manufactured = a fat raise for some CEO .
Large companies never do anything that will cost them money....never .

DougGuy
03-05-2019, 11:30 PM
They are probably just machining closer to SAAMI spec for the 9mm Luger which seems designed for the pointy FMJ.

SAAMI calls for a nice long freebore with 1 degree of taper into the lands. Afaik, NO mfgr is throating barrels to SAAMI specs cause that takes time and tooling.

Tackleberry41
03-06-2019, 08:56 AM
They cut a corner, pure and simple. Im sure they would mumble some sort of answer if asked. But comes down to one less step in the process, one less tool to buy. And few will even notice, just reloaders. And Glock will say....never use reloads. So why would they care if we noticed?