PDA

View Full Version : Tang/action differences between straight and PG stocks on Sharps?

Cookieman
02-27-2019, 09:55 PM
I have a straight stock on my Quigley-type Sharps rifle and would MUCH rather have a pistol grip with a higher comb...WAY too much drop for my long arms and I have a scope on it. Is the only difference in the ACTION part of that gun just the bottom 'tang'? Has anyone ever replaced that bottom part, or has anyone ever heated and reshaped it, or cut and re-welded it and then installed a pistol grip stock? From the pics that I can find it appears that the bottom part is just bent downward to the shape of the pistol grip....I do not have one handy to compare.... I can get an aftermarket stock inletted for the straight stock but with a lot of wood left proud on the comb but fear it will look like an old Shuetzen stock if I go that way....Sorta hate to sell it just to buy another one....

Don McDowell
02-27-2019, 10:41 PM
Does that rifle have a shotgun butt or the military butt plate.
If it's a shotgun butt, you can add on a pistol grip. If it's the military butt, you're best bet would be to send it back to Shiloh and have them fit it with a #1 or LRE stock

Bent Ramrod
02-28-2019, 01:10 AM
There is an ebony add-on that converts a straight grip to a pistol grip. Shiloh shows it in their catalog.

You can get a leather riser pad that clips on the stock with Velcro, that will bring your eye up to scope level. Shiloh, Buffalo Arms and other outfits have these.

Not cheap, but much cheaper than converting the tang to pistol grip and having a custom stock made. The downside is the additions do nothing for the looks of the rifle.

Cookieman
02-28-2019, 01:09 PM
I have seen the add-on ' pistol grips ' and in addition to looking like a big wart on a nose, the will do nothing to reduce the excessive drop at heel on the stock. And I already have the lace on leather cheek piece type of thing. The BEST thing I had for a while was an adjustable Morgan Pad off of a trap gun. Looked like condensed **** but I could get the whole butt on my shoulder and lay my chin, basically, on top of the comb and could shoot it fine. But figured it would be frowned upon at Alliance and the Q. It appears that there is a piece of steel under the receiver that could be replaced with a curved one that would allow a LR pistol grip stock to be used, but I doubt that Shiloh would sell that bottom piece...And where would a guy find one otherwise? This gun was bought at an auction in NE in '12 and wasn't a special order. I just wanted one right away.....

Don McDowell
02-28-2019, 01:49 PM
You might call Shiloh and visit with them about your options. They're good folks to deal with and will give you the best word
As to all the add on stuff on the stock, that won't be a problem at any of the gong shoots. It wouldn't be a problem in target rifle, and shouldn't be a problem with silhouette matches either.
So maybe just go back to using that stuff and shoot well, and in the meantime keep an eye on the gun inventory page on Shiloh's web page.

BrentD
02-28-2019, 02:53 PM
Calling Shiloh is the real solution. You want a Creedmoor or #1 Long Range stock. It sounds like you have a #3 Sporter which has greater drop. I don't recall where the other models fall with regards to stock drop.

As for warts, it ain't hard to pretty up a Sharps. Even a wart is an improvement, and I rather like my warty Sharps'

https://i.imgur.com/IAU3G3w.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/F0PZEqg.jpg

Lead pot
02-28-2019, 03:36 PM
I think the add-on is a better option, for me anyway. The pistol grip on a sharps is back too far for me anyway to do much good. The add on actually is far enough ahead so the hand rests on it. Yes the #3 does have a lot of drop more so than the #1 or the rough rider.
By the time you change the trigger shoe and wood, butt plate you might just as well order a new rifle.
Call Kirk at Shiloh and talk it over to get right the options. Phone call is cheep :)

indian joe
02-28-2019, 05:08 PM
I had a little carbine style sharps (IAB :groner:) didnt cost me much, dont shoot it that often, but it shoots quite nice, usta kick the cr@p outa me prone (8.25lb + 535 grain slug) figured I might restock it one day but better get things sorted dimensionally first .
The add on pistol grip was already in place - I added a 2 lb lead buttplate - then a soft pine comb extension till I had the thing comfortable - then .......... I am not gonna be seen dead in public with THAT so covered the whole lot with a leather lace on cover - it needs some stain to darken the cover - doesnt look too horrible from the near side .......it works as a shooter . 237048

Don McDowell
02-28-2019, 07:34 PM
Something else for you to think about. As what you're going to be using that rifle for is the gong matches, those are all shot sitting, so why not just ditch the scope , go with a good quality tang sight. MVA, Baldwin, or Hoke, and a Baldwin front sight and then some point in the future get a rifle that is more user friendly than this one?

Cookieman
03-01-2019, 09:21 PM
'Cause I can't see......At least not clearly at arm's length and farther.....Mono vision, but it is backwards...Rt eye is really close vision and left is long...

Cookieman
03-01-2019, 09:31 PM
Indian Joe....I ran a few things thru my mind as you did....I have a piece of dense foam covered with a short lace-on leather cover. When I had that Morgan adjustable trap pad on mine I was trying to come up with a way to add height to the top of the comb, and could cut the bottom on straight, and thought about having it dipped in a wood grain type of finish...200 will get me a stock from Treebone, it has the flat buttplate now. Not sure what a new trigger bar would cost....I can deal with it for a while. I hired on tough......

country gent
03-01-2019, 09:48 PM
If you make the "bolt on" pistol grip yourself then you can position it where the trigger is most comfortable for your hand size and shape. Don't know if treebone or one of the custom makers would make a blank with no hole to be set by user. As to the comb a lace on could be formed and made from leather or a matching addition made and glued and pinned on. Done right it wouldnt show much and be an improvement but you still have the butt plate and narrow stock to deal with. A new stock carved to your action fitted and just what you want may be the way to go.

indian joe
03-01-2019, 11:00 PM
If you make the "bolt on" pistol grip yourself then you can position it where the trigger is most comfortable for your hand size and shape. Don't know if treebone or one of the custom makers would make a blank with no hole to be set by user. As to the comb a lace on could be formed and made from leather or a matching addition made and glued and pinned on. Done right it wouldnt show much and be an improvement but you still have the butt plate and narrow stock to deal with.
That lead buttplate was a horrible idea and ugly as sin - BUT 1) I already had the chunk of flat lead cast 2) it got me 2 pounds of reduced recoil 3) the surface area of the buttplate is now almost twice what it was before -----downside (apart from ugly) is that sharps balance point shifted two inches or better to the rear - If we had a decent weight barrel that gun would be 12 pound and balance nicely - but as is its kinda tail heavy - not such a problem really.

EDG
03-02-2019, 12:27 AM
The only metal part on a Pedersoli straight grip stocked rifle that needs to be be changed appears to be the trigger plate. The trigger plate is an expensive $200 part. After replacing that you need a new butt stock.
All things considered you are better of to sell or trade off your rifle and pay the difference on a factory rifle with the shotgun butt and pistol grip.

rfd
03-02-2019, 07:23 AM
shouldn't be a big deal to make a hardwood add-on pistol grip for a #3 sharps that can be drilled right into the trigger plate and screw anchored.

Cookieman
03-02-2019, 11:02 PM
Newest brainstorm is to go back to the Morgan Trap pad and then install and adjustable cheek piece, again, like a trap gun.... When shoot is over I can lower the comb, drop the Morgan pad back down and it will look good again, with only the adjustable comb showing a little bit.....I think for this poor boy that is the route I am going, and it should get me thru this summer. Hell, with all of the winnings I am liable to get, plus royalties on my good stock ideas, I will just buy another one in the fall.......

Lead pot
03-02-2019, 11:34 PM
I have a leather strap on but I don't use it. I get along better with my hand over the comb and lay my cheek on the knuckles. That makes it adjustable for any distance :)

Cookieman
03-03-2019, 11:31 AM
There you go Lead pot...making perfect sense....I HAVE to get this gun to shoot so I can learn to shoot the gun........