PDA

View Full Version : Primer pocket reamer

just bill
02-27-2019, 07:41 PM
Years ago I bought a RCBS primer pocket trimmer and brush kit. I never used it any military cases because I didn't use any, however since I've started to wildcat .223/5.56 cases and there is a lot of talk about removing the crimp from the cases. My question is will the primer pocket trimmer do the job or do I have to use one of the pocket swagers on the military cases. I've started to use it and i don't seem to get much resistance or brass shavings. I just don't want to have to re ream the pockets once I start reloading.
Thanks,
Bill

Winger Ed.
02-27-2019, 08:01 PM
If its that inside & outside tool about the size of your thumb- it'll do fine.

I put mine in a drill press set to go slow. Touch the pocket against it for a quick instant, and it does a great job.
Midway might still sell a adapter for them to fit a smaller chuck than 1/2".

It also does great to de-burr the mouth after trimming.

country gent
02-27-2019, 08:21 PM
If its the uniformer tool used to flatten and cut the pockets to the same depth then it wont do as good as the actual reamer. the reamer does it by actually cutting the crimp out. THe uniformer only cuts on the face to uniform depth and surface of pocket. I prefer a swage over the reamers and deburring tools. The swager doesn't remove material, it presses it back into where it was pushed from around the pocket. The Dillon super swage is one of the best available.

Many tools have been used for this chamfering tools both reloading and commercial ( Countersinks), reamers, a sharp knife point will peel it out, rotary burrs. All work some better some faster than others. There's several swage set ups for use some are self contained, like the Dilllon and some are press mounted.

Lloyd Smale
02-28-2019, 11:12 AM
Dillon works just fine for me. there may be more precise ways to do it but when im doing crimped cases like 556 im doing LOTs of them and nothing other then a 1050 is any handier or faster.

mdi
02-28-2019, 12:40 PM
Have you tried it? Run your tool in a few primer pockets and look at the results. Then seat a primer or two.

A primer crimp is just a few thousandths deep, and having several counter sinks in my tool box, I tried one; 1/2"x60 degree (lifelong machinist/mechanic). I have been "decrimping" military brass now for 25+ years and have never had a problem just using a plain ole high speed steel countersink. Easy, quick, and inexpensive... https://www.mcmaster.com/countersinks

Der Gebirgsjager
02-28-2019, 12:55 PM
Bill -- to answer your specific question, yes they will cut out the crimp. I bought one many years ago. They came in a plastic tube and had a wooden handle. The tip of the tool has longitudinal teeth that look like a reamer. But, fair warning, you'll find it very tedious to do .223 rounds as .223 shooters tend to use so many cases. Far better to buy an RCBS primer pocket swaging tool to use in your press instead of hand reaming all of those cases. The hand reamers are just fine for a dozen or so cases. They came in two sizes for large and small primer pockets.

Wayne Smith
02-28-2019, 01:19 PM
If it is the one with a swivel at the bottom to use with both large and small primers no it won't cut. It is a cleaner only. RCBS has made both.

I purchased the Lyman set that fit into a power screwdriver - large and small reamers, large and small cleaners, and also got the 60degree chamfer tool.

cwlongshot
02-28-2019, 01:25 PM
I have a few of these, but by and large the Dillon 600 swager is the tool I use for the job as its much better you not remove material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMQd2UBrXos

As mentioned above:

A Pocket uniformer in three sized, Small, LG Pistol and LG Rifle. Is for depth not crimp. (Does immediately show if a primer will fir, but cant help with that fact.)

Many just use a "Space Ship" deburring tool. It works and I have used myself for the one occasional case that slips thru the Mil/Com culling. A simple 45 chamfer tool chucked in a 'lectric drill also works and with practice you cab remove "just enough".

The toothed tools that are supposed to cut only the crimp out I have found hit or miss, probably just dull tools but they work to some degree.

Most companies now offer a swager and I would recommend you look into these should you begin to use more Military cases.

Good luck,
CW

Conditor22
02-28-2019, 02:58 PM
I recently traded for a Dillon 600 swager and simply love the tool. It has cut my military brass prep time down immensely.

David2011
02-28-2019, 03:18 PM
After preparing about 5000 5.56 cases I have developed some opinions. I have the RCBS press mounted tool, the Dillon Super Swage, the Lyman primer pocket reamer that came with their prep center and the Hornady primer pocket reamer that I use on the Lyman prep center. The RCBS press tool works well but is very slow. The Hornady is my favorite way to remove primer crimps. I like that the Dillon doesn't remove any metal but I also like that the primers slide into the pocket smoothly when cut with the Hornady cutter. It is not possible for the Hornady to make the pocket deeper so that's a nice feature. The end of the tool has no cutting surfaces so it bottoms out and stops the cut.

The Hornady cutter can be operated by hand when put in a handle or it can be used in a power drill. I let it cut until I don't feel any drag from it continuing to cut. It only takes a few cases to develop the feel.

rbt5050
02-28-2019, 04:53 PM
After preparing about 5000 5.56 cases I have developed some opinions. I have the RCBS press mounted tool, the Dillon Super Swage, the Lyman primer pocket reamer that came with their prep center and the Hornady primer pocket reamer that I use on the Lyman prep center. The RCBS press tool works well but is very slow. The Hornady is my favorite way to remove primer crimps. I like that the Dillon doesn't remove any metal but I also like that the primers slide into the pocket smoothly when cut with the Hornady cutter. It is not possible for the Hornady to make the pocket deeper so that's a nice feature. The end of the tool has no cutting surfaces so it bottoms out and stops the cut.

The Hornady cutter can be operated by hand when pit in a handle or it can be used in a power drill. I let it cut until I don't feel any drag from it continuing to cut. It only takes a few cases to develop the feel.

I have the swager from Hornady that is used on the Hornady lock and load press. if you have a lot of cases that is the way to go.

largom
02-28-2019, 06:17 PM
Have you tried it? Run your tool in a few primer pockets and look at the results. Then seat a primer or two.

A primer crimp is just a few thousandths deep, and having several counter sinks in my tool box, I tried one; 1/2"x60 degree (lifelong machinist/mechanic). I have been "decrimping" military brass now for 25+ years and have never had a problem just using a plain ole high speed steel countersink. Easy, quick, and inexpensive... https://www.mcmaster.com/countersinks

Same here. Works better in my mind.

trapper9260
02-28-2019, 07:55 PM
I had got a primer pocket reamer for large and small primer pockets ,it take care of the cases that have the crimp in primers. After the first time I do it and then do not need to do it again for a normal .

BigAlofPa.
02-28-2019, 08:13 PM
T-25 torx bit is what i use on small crimps if i have a lot to do. I put it in my cordless drill. I also have some old lyman reamers with wood handles for small and large pockets.

wildwilly501
02-28-2019, 08:42 PM
A primer pocket uniformer won't remove the crimp.This is the one I have https://www.callister.it/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1200x900/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/4/8/4890386.jpg Never tried a countersink everyone says they work fine.The tool above you can't cut too deep.I had a Hornady reamer it didn't work as well as this RCBS one.I only do hundreds of cases if I did thousands might try something else.I run it with a adapter in a cordless screwdriver.

David2011
02-28-2019, 09:30 PM
I have the swager from Hornady that is used on the Hornady lock and load press. if you have a lot of cases that is the way to go.

Hornady has a video on their site showing the operation. That is really slick for people that have a Hornady press. My metallic progressives are all blue.

Lloyd Smale
03-01-2019, 09:05 AM
I looked at it. I do have a couple lnls but I know when I use my Dillon you will ocasionsaly have to tweak the adjustment if your using mixed brass. Its kind of easy to feel it once you get some expenience. I wonder if the press could possibly give you that feel. I does look like it would be faster. One big advantage to the Dillon I see is it will do any brass be it 556 308 or handgun. The Hornady is dedicated to only the one round.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-01-2019, 10:57 AM
I've used the Lee chamfer tool, RCBS crimp remover on their case prep tool, Lyman primer pocket reamer, primer pocket uniformers by K&M, swagers by Herter's and RCBS. The little Lee case chamfer tool may be the simplest and quickest to just get rid of the crimp.

SvenLindquist
03-01-2019, 09:40 PM
RCBS swaging die is great.

mdi
03-02-2019, 12:39 PM
I was going through my library and picked up "Handloading for Handgunners" by Nonte and skimming through it I found how Nonte chamfered the cases he used; a pocket knife. I also read of some known "expert" reloaders removed primer crimps with a pocket knife. Gee, I wonder how they could possible assemble any shootable handloads without super duper, expensive, single use, dedicated handloading only tools? :bigsmyl2:

dragon813gt
03-02-2019, 01:14 PM
I was going through my library and picked up "Handloading for Handgunners" by Nonte and skimming through it I found how Nonte chamfered the cases he used; a pocket knife. I also read of some known "expert" reloaders removed primer crimps with a pocket knife. Gee, I wonder how they could possible assemble any shootable handloads without super duper, expensive, single use, dedicated handloading only tools? :bigsmyl2:

There’s nothing special about removing primer crimps. What you gain w/ better tooling than a pocket knife is speed and repeatability. One of the main reasons I bought a Dillon Super Swage is speed. Buying thousands of 223 and 308 LC cases shines a light on process speed.

David2011
03-02-2019, 09:25 PM
There’s nothing special about removing primer crimps. What you gain w/ better tooling than a pocket knife is speed and repeatability. One of the main reasons I bought a Dillon Super Swage is speed. Buying thousands of 223 and 308 LC cases shines a light on process speed.

Isn't that the truth! When I bought a few thousand 5.56 military cases I tried every type of primer pocket tool and every type of trimmer on the market short of the Giraud.

mdi
03-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot the more, more, faster, faster reloaders out there...:kidding:

just bill
03-05-2019, 09:40 AM
Thanks to all, lots of good info.
Bill