PDA

View Full Version : Ideal mold marked "wax"???

midnight
02-26-2019, 04:08 PM
I was watching an auction of an old Ideal single cavity mold with integral handles because it seemed to command a very high price. It appeared to be an Ideal but operated like a Hoch nose pour with the sprue plate and bottom plate. The bullet was .397 dia., 1.24 long, weighing 358 gr. and had multiple lube grooves. The only markings on the mold were "wax". It sold for $720 so does anyone know what gives with this mold.

Bob

Bent Ramrod
02-27-2019, 10:39 AM
Harry Pope made nose-pour moulds out of Ideal integral handle blanks and typically marked “WAX” at the hinge lubricant hole. It’s probably one of his.

I’d like to know how he made that squared dual top-and-bottom sprue cutter with the tab at the top end for sprue removal. Are there rolled T-shaped metal strips that could be forged or bent around a form? The pictures I’ve seen show no trace of welding at any juncture. The modern types, like Hoch’s use two flat pieces held together with spacers and screws, a lot more mass to heat up. Pope’s sprue plates were a much neater job, but the spacing between top and bottom flats would have to be more precise than a normal session of torch-and-hammer heating and bending would offer.

NoZombies
02-27-2019, 01:32 PM
Harry Pope made nose-pour moulds out of Ideal integral handle blanks and typically marked “WAX” at the hinge lubricant hole. It’s probably one of his.

I’d like to know how he made that squared dual top-and-bottom sprue cutter with the tab at the top end for sprue removal. Are there rolled T-shaped metal strips that could be forged or bent around a form? The pictures I’ve seen show no trace of welding at any juncture. The modern types, like Hoch’s use two flat pieces held together with spacers and screws, a lot more mass to heat up. Pope’s sprue plates were a much neater job, but the spacing between top and bottom flats would have to be more precise than a normal session of torch-and-hammer heating and bending would offer.

Back then it wasn't uncommon to have a real blacksmith working in a local shop. A bending and forging jig when used properly can produce results consistent and accurate to within a small enough margin that a little file work would bring them to virtual perfection. I've only handled one of the Pope molds, but I've seen good photos of several others. Based on those, I would assume the sprues were jig forged and file finished.

midnight
02-27-2019, 06:20 PM
Evidently someone with more knowledge than me bid that mold up to $720. I started watching it when it was at around $320 and figured there must be something special about it that escaped me. I tried to copy & paste some pics but couldn't get it to work.

Bob

Hickory
02-27-2019, 06:41 PM
P T Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute."

GARD72977
02-27-2019, 07:08 PM
I would think people that know more than us we're bidding on this. It took two people to drive this price.

stubshaft
02-27-2019, 07:26 PM
I would think people that know more than us we're bidding on this. It took two people to drive this price.

A shill and a buyer...