PDA

View Full Version : TC 54 black mountain magnum?

dk17hmr
02-26-2019, 02:44 PM
Anyone have any experience with one? The local gunshop has a "used" TC on the rack for a pretty reasonable price. Tag says used but doesnt look used much if at all.

I don't need it but don't not need it either.

shaggybull
02-26-2019, 02:55 PM
I have one in 50 cal. The black mountain magnum side lock was designed to shoot pellets. I use loose powder with mine. My first hunting trip it was rainy/snow mix blowing day, I didn't protect the nipple as well as I should, but when it was needed fired off without a problem. My buddy told me IF I ever wanted to sell it he wanted first shot. Shoots a nice group with pyrodex. Would recommend buying.

arcticap
02-26-2019, 05:49 PM
From the reports that I've read, the .54 cal. has a 1 in 38" twist while the .50 has a 1 in 28" twist.
They're basically made for shooting bore size conicals or sabots.
They came with either wood or composite stocks, and with both a musket and #11 nipple, and some had the QLA muzzle.
They're able to be loaded with up to 150 grains of powder [probably only in pellet form].
But everyone reports shooting them using loose powder and obtaining good accuracy.
There could be some felt recoil if shooting the heavier bullet weights like 400 -500 - 600 grains.
I'd keep the bullets weights reasonable unless you really need the extra power.
But at least it has a rubber butt pad.

dk17hmr
02-26-2019, 07:52 PM
This one is wood stocked. I found a digital copy of the owners manual and they show 150gr of loose FFG with 435gr maxi hunter which sounds painful. I might go have a better look at it. I'd like to have a TC big bore 58 caliber but I don't want to pay what they are going for now.

Hardcast416taylor
02-27-2019, 04:49 PM
I got one when they first came out in .50. Tried using pellets as it was promoted to use, never could get that thing to ever fire 2 times in a row. I finally went back to 3F and never had a problem again. The other problem I had with it is the fragile front sight plastic day glo rod, it seemed to break by just looking at it. I used magnum caps with the pellets and it made no difference, I went back to standard caps once I switched to loose powder. A nice rifle - but finicky.Robert

koger
02-27-2019, 09:27 PM
Doug you cant go wrong with this gun, drop a light down the bore to see if it is ok. If the barrel is good and a price is under $250, go for it. I hunted with one for several years here in KY, and used the musket caps because that was the nipple on it when I got it. Never had a misfire, I used 110 grains of 2ff g, black powder, and took deer cleanly with it out to 200 yds. Now to do that you had to know your bullet drop. I hunted with a 450 grn Lyman plains slug, made for ML's and it would cloverleaf at 100 yds. I did glass bed the barrel the whole length, and had a Redfield 2x7 in TC steel mounts. I worked the load up over a spring, tried Pyrodex, pellets, the whole nine yards, but nothing shot as good as black powder. I also used a vegetable fiber wad on top of the powder, to protect the base of the slug, minor differences in accuracy, but enough I used them. I had very few deer take over a step or two when hit in the shoulder with this big slug, usually took them off their feet.

dk17hmr
03-03-2019, 09:04 PM
Dropped a lighted arrow nock down the barrel, it was a bit dusty but didn't look bad. Price was right at $200 out the door so I brought it home and cleaned it up.

I don't have a 54 mold yet but picked up a box of Hornady great plains 425gr bullets. It doesn't have the musket cap nipple on it and didn't come with one so I just used the #11 caps.

I just shot it at 35 yards off hand with 110gr of RS, the Hornady conical, and some random caps I have......it looks like it wants to shoot.....I was having a bit of a hangfire but the caps I have are probably older than I am.

4 shot group before I messed with the sights looks promising. I'll probably order a musket cap nipple just to try it.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg542/dkrusk01/KIMG0543_zps4mb2oxku.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/dkrusk01/media/KIMG0543_zps4mb2oxku.jpg.html)

Odinbreaker
03-04-2019, 06:46 PM
I have a 54 maxi mouldworks well. I like 50 cal hornady bullet in sabot also shoot good in my 1x48 twist lyman deerstalker.

arcticap
03-05-2019, 12:31 PM
In this video, Dustin Winegar reviews the 300 grain .54 Lee REAL bullet:--->>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25tG88iV0pI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3kKyFZf1XZspXi2-GmdeQ5_EF4Rbxl9ZHvGk2_Lto9RBorgkk0qzdgsOo&app=desktop

His video description lists where you can buy some (and maybe other bullets too):--->>> Backwoods Lead Works email: oldgravelys@icloud.com

Lee makes the .54 REAL molds in 300 grain and 380 grain sizes if you want to cast them yourself.--->>> https://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/black-powder-molds/black-powder-real-bullet-combo-molds/

Also, Buffalo Bullets moved to Nevada and used to make a lot of .54 conicals including .54 Ball-ets.
Not sure if they have resumed production yet.
They can be contacted through their webpage to find out what may be available either now or in the future:--->>> https://buffalobulletindustries.com

Sometimes Pyrodex P [pistol powder] provides better ignition than the RS but the P loads should be reduced by 10% volume.

Many folks complain about the newer CCI musket caps not being as powerful as the old ones and only being made for re-enactment.
RWS probably makes the best musket caps.

That's a very nice rifle that you bought for a very good price.

Buzzard II
03-06-2019, 09:15 AM
If you get tired of it, contact me. I'm sure we can reach an agreement. In the mean time, enjoy it.
Bob