PDA

View Full Version : getting back into casting - 7.62x40wt

sven556
02-25-2019, 11:18 PM
I haven't cast much in the last 5-6 years (haven't shot a lot either). I've been shooting more lately and want to try cast bullets again. This time in a 7.62x40wt ar15 rifle. This caliber never really caught on but I am enjoying it. Now I am not really sure how to size a bullet to a particular chamber/throat. Can anyone help me choose a mold to use with this rifle? I am looking for something from 130-150 grains that will feed through m4 feed ramps. Maybe a pointed bullet or small meplat. This will be mostly for target shooting, but if it works for hunting that would be nice as well!

Has anyone had success with this caliber? I am thinking about a 140 gr bullet traveling around 2100-2200 fps would be a nice load.

I was going to post a link to the chamber dimensions but I can't seem to find it right now.

Dragonheart
02-27-2019, 10:58 AM
I would suggest you look into the Coatings forum for a post by Bama "Accuracy at 350 Yards". It has gotten quite lengthy, but if you take the time to read the posts it will probably answer a lot of your questions.