PDA

View Full Version : Newbee questions

firewalkerd1
10-14-2008, 09:20 PM
First of all, great site. I’m new to this hope this is the right spot. Due to the cost of the cast bullets I was buy tripling in price has enticed me to try my hand at casting. I have read several casting sites and articles which has left me a little confused, so I have some questions. Please be patient if they seem simple. It sounds like that WW are the best for a supply of lead. I have a several hundred pounds of telephone shielding I would like use. Is this too soft? If so can I mix WW to improve the mix? What is a good inexpensive mould. At least a 4 gang 358-158gr RNFP 38 spl. I shoot cowboy so not worried about shooting hole in hole at this stage.

kodiak1
10-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Lee Moulds are the cheapest and a fairly decent quality.
The shielding might be a bit on the soft side but you will get more in put on that from the other guys here.
Ken.

wills
10-14-2008, 10:56 PM
If the shielding is pure lead, you can alloy it, or possibly trade it.

firewalkerd1
10-14-2008, 10:59 PM
How would or could a man know if it is pure lead? Has any one used this type of scrap before?

AZ-Stew
10-14-2008, 11:37 PM
If you can easily dent it or scrape chunks off it with your thumbnail, it's probably pretty soft lead. In addition, most cable sheathing is pure lead. If you know any other casters amongst your Cowboy shooting group, one may have a hardness tester and can give you some idea of your metal's composition.

If you're shooting .38 Spl at Cowboy velocities (under 900 fps) a properly lubricated and sized pure lead boolit will work just fine and will be plenty accurate, without leading up your revolver. Just keep the speed down.

Regards,

Stew

Buckshot
10-16-2008, 12:32 AM
................I shoot pure lead WC's in my K38, 38 Special with 2.7grs of Bullseye. Works a peach :-)

................Buckshot