PDA

View Full Version : 35winchester Ackley improved?

moodyholler
10-14-2008, 07:58 PM
A friend of mine wants to barrel his Krag rifle to 35 Winchester Ackley Improved. There is no official version of this that I can find. A factory round cycles fine through my un-barrelled action. I can have the reamer made. My question is how do I determine what CUP or PSI this thing is capable of? 28,000 psi is listed for a factory round from an internet source. By having very little taper and 35-40 dfegree shoulders, pressure will go down. I am conviced that 28K is a black powder number and smokelss is going to make 40K +. How do I dtermine what pressure it is capable of? Thanks in advance, moodyholler

lar45
10-15-2008, 03:28 AM
Hi Moody, I think you could look at the 30-40 Krag for a reasonable pressure limit for the action, which is around 40,000 psi(COTW).
An alternative to the 35 Win AI might be the 358 JDJ. The case capacity of the JDJ is just a little less than the regular 35 Win(about 1-2 gns H2O)
There are dies and reamers availible for the JDJ. You would just have to load lighter than the established data(which has a max around 51,000 psi) Quickload would come in handy here.

FWIW

stocker
10-16-2008, 12:05 PM
I always considered the factory 35 Win to be an excellent cartridge as is. Perhaps the very best and most useful that those rifles were ever chambered in. The 95's in that chambering were considered serious moose and grizzly bear medicine among the old timers where I grew up. Having used several for those purposes myself they must have been right as I'm still walking. I would not bother playing with the case design. Due to the limitations of the Krag you aren't going to make a Whelen out of it and I have never noticed a practical killing difference between the two other than a bit of range advantage with the Whelen. If it was being built on a P14 you might get some good results but on a Krag I think it would be just a waste and nuisance.

runfiverun
10-18-2008, 02:40 PM
isn't that what the 358 win was designed for?
a higher pressure 35 win....