PDA

View Full Version : Chamfering and deburring case mouths

country gent
02-25-2019, 01:24 PM
Have a bunch of cases Im prepping to load 38-55 and 45-70. I modified the trimmer pilots to a crowned or parabolic form and cut much smoother better cuts. ( made a full set of these pilots the first ones work so good).

In the Wilson style deburring tools with 45 caliber cases I have a hard time keeping case between those 3 fingers to deburr mouths. And the twisting motion get old fast.
O have a lyman tool that has each tool on a 8-32 thread so I made an adapter to mount them in my redding trimmer. 3/8 24 male with the angled shoulder and a 8-32 female thread for the tools. Better but still tricky getting case aligned. Yesterday turned up a pilot to fit the existing ,158 guide pin and .451 od both ends beveled on to match the cutter angle. glued this to the pin on the cutter. Now the case slide on is clamped in collet and a few turns I have a very nice .010 wide X 25* chamfer on the case mouth. It is very even in width and chatter is gone it looks glass smooth. Will finish the 45 today and see if I can pull the hardened pin out and replace it with a soft pin and a tapped 6-32 hole in nd so a machine screw can be used to hold these bushings on place.

Next up is the inside chamfer tools improvement.

lefty o
02-25-2019, 02:06 PM
any of the motorized case prep deals work well for chamfer/deburr operations.

David2011
03-01-2019, 12:31 AM
Love the idea of a pilot on the outside chamfering cutter for large calibers. I agree it's easy to miss and get the cartridge caught on one of the fingers. I have a similar cutter on a Lyman case prep station. It will be a fun, quick and easy lathe project. I'll use a set screw since I rarely outside chamfer .44/.45 cases- mostly to clean up a rough spot. Everything I have that's that big is pistola.

country gent
03-01-2019, 12:37 AM
Ive found I get much more consistent bevels since trying this little test. Chatter is gone , the light bevel is good as to the same width and center.