PDA

View Full Version : Why the hate?

Burnt Fingers
02-24-2019, 12:17 PM
I've noticed on some other forums that there's a real hatred towards PC and Hi-Tek.

I have a feeling that those same people would have been telling us that the newfangled smokeless powder wasn't worth the effort.

Some people say that Hi-Tek takes too long. I wonder if they know they don't have to watch it dry and bake?

Change is constant. I see Hi-Tek and PC as positives in the bullet casting area. Lower cost of entry, less smoke, cleaner dies, and you are able to load up ammo and let it sit around.

I've lubed plenty of bullets. I hope to never have to use conventional lube again. I've pan lubed, tumble lubed, tried 45-45-10. I prefer Hi-Tek and PC. I still do both but more Hi-Tek than PC as my CDO requires that I stand the bullets up on parchment paper to bake the PC bullets.

oteroman
02-24-2019, 12:23 PM
I think hate is a bit much ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dverna
02-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Different needs. If you had a Star and only produced a couple of different bullets, you would likely think differently. BTW, I have never tumble lubed or pan lubed in over 45 years and it is unlikely to ever happened. if that is all you have ever done with traditional lubes, I understand why coated bullets are so much better...and they are!

I do not hate the new ways of lubing. In fact, one of my projects is to find a mold that produces a .358 bullet that does not need to be sized. I will use BLL for that's. but if I have to size anyway, the new methods do not offer me enough to reduce the time to make bullets.

FLINTNFIRE
02-24-2019, 12:33 PM
I have not powder coated yet have everything to do so been testing the oven , bought smokes powder , waiting till new casting bench and time allows , but hate something that fits right in with our chosen hobby ? thats crazy , to me it would be like only loading one caliber , for one gun , and not branching out , seeing what else is there to shoot or load or cast and only using one lube or one weight of bullet , heresy , but then we all have different takes on the same things .

dverna
02-24-2019, 12:57 PM
I have not powder coated yet have everything to do so been testing the oven , bought smokes powder , waiting till new casting bench and time allows , but hate something that fits right in with our chosen hobby ? thats crazy , to me it would be like only loading one caliber , for one gun , and not branching out , seeing what else is there to shoot or load or cast and only using one lube or one weight of bullet , heresy , but then we all have different takes on the same things .

Your post made me chuckle...but is so true...."we all have different takes on the same things"

My project is to have one bullet that will work in both the .38/.357 and the 9mm without sizing. So I am at the extreme opposite of what you enjoy doing. I don't even want to cast two bullets for two calibers. 90% of my pistol shooting is .38 Spl and 9mm.

richhodg66
02-24-2019, 01:26 PM
I just don't see it offering anything to me I don't already have.

sharps4590
02-24-2019, 01:39 PM
I certainly don't hate it but I doubt I'll ever do it. For what I like to do a sizer/luber works just fine and I don't have to get set up to do something else.

As far as branching out...I think I've done quite a bit of that. To consider only cast bullets my loads and rifles run from the 1870's and BP to the 1950's and smokeless and gas checked. A lot of those cartridges haven't been loaded in either Europe or the US in 100 years or more. For the "newer" rifles, post 1900, there's usually a j-word bullet load for them as well as cast. Rifles are single shot, bolt action, drillings, combination guns, double rifles and Schuetzen rifles and calibers from 25 to 50. I won't get into the muzzleloading rifles and shotguns or handguns.

Baltimoreed
02-24-2019, 01:51 PM
I tried PC a few years ago and started having problems with it and just haven’t gotten back to it. Eventually I will but I have a lot of scrap and range lead of unknown hardness and composition, PC will allow me to use it up in my .45 handguns. Free potential bullets, they only cost me time and some effort. I do like the colors. Artsy fartsy ammo.

richhodg66
02-24-2019, 02:19 PM
I tried PC a few years ago and started having problems with it and just haven’t gotten back to it. Eventually I will but I have a lot of scrap and range lead of unknown hardness and composition, PC will allow me to use it up in my .45 handguns. Free potential bullets, they only cost me time and some effort. I do like the colors. Artsy fartsy ammo.

This is the only benefit I think it would offer is that it would allow the use of really soft or unknown alloys, but I haven't really had problems shooting pretty soft stuff with no leading, just have to be sane about velocities and make sure fit is good and you have decent lube.

Froogal
02-24-2019, 02:28 PM
If you like powder coating, then you should powder coat. I've watched a couple of Utube videos on powder coating and it looks like a hassle to me, plus I feel it is not period correct for CAS. Who knows though. I may try it someday. For now, tumble lubing and pan lubing works good for me.

flyingmonkey35
02-24-2019, 03:03 PM
Hate leads to anger, anger leads to the darks side.

The dark side has cookies.

You will always find people who will disagree with you on any subject.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bazoo
02-24-2019, 03:17 PM
I'm close to hating it. Also I'm close to trying it. For me it will be a bandaid on a gun that leads, not a way of life for all my guns. Lead bullets and traditional lube go together. I know it's better than wax/grease lubed bullets but it just ain't to my liking.

I forgot, one other reason I'm thinking of trying it is so I can push the velocity limit with 30-06.

It'll be a new tool in my bag of tricks, but won't replace my use of traditional lube.

rbuck351
02-24-2019, 03:33 PM
Although PC is slower than my star, it will make a boolit larger. I have a few Lee nose rider molds that are too small on the nose rider part and PC can fix this. If it wasn't such a pita to stand up the long skinny boolits I would probably use it more. .224 boolits are a real pain to stand and then put in the oven and then remove and restand a bunch that fell over. I can't say I hate PC because it does help certain boolits but it takes longer to remove a boolit from the powder and set it on something to put in the oven than it does to place a boolit in the star and pull the handle. I do PC a few of my boolits but not ones that don't need it.

flyingmonkey35
02-24-2019, 03:56 PM
Although PC is slower than my star, it will make a boolit larger. I have a few Lee nose rider molds that are too small on the nose rider part and PC can fix this. If it wasn't such a pita to stand up the long skinny boolits I would probably use it more. .224 boolits are a real pain to stand and then put in the oven and then remove and restand a bunch that fell over. I can't say I hate PC because it does help certain boolits but it takes longer to remove a boolit from the powder and set it on something to put in the oven than it does to place a boolit in the star and pull the handle. I do PC a few of my boolits but not ones that don't need it.You can do what I do and just for for a batch method. I PC about 500 of those at a single go.
Shake in PC sift through a colander dump in a metal basket. Bake. Drop in water and the size.

I shoot the in a bolt action with catsneeze loads. Fantastic and fun to shoot

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ausglock
02-24-2019, 03:58 PM
For me, 99.9% of all my bullets get HITEK coated.
But there is still White label Lube in the Lyman 450 for the 45LC Cowboy loads.

JSnover
02-24-2019, 04:02 PM
Change always encounters pushback. Everything that works now was resisted back then by someone, don't let it bug you.

joe leadslinger
02-24-2019, 04:17 PM
If it wasn't for PCing I don't think I would be casting. I tried shooting lubed boolits and that is not for me, got fed up with the mess. Each to his own I guess.
No hate here. Just how I want to do it.

OS OK
02-24-2019, 04:24 PM
PC'ing our casts is easy peezy...the methods have been worked out for years now.
The PC's that work well have been identified, heck you can even get idiot proof PC right here in this forum.

The problem often times is that people have trouble following the simple rules, don't pay attention or just won't put the extra effort in to get a superior coating...
Many times they get something like this...just because they didn't really think temperature is all that important.
hehehehe...this is what happened to one person...don't remember the exact cause of this, either not using a proper thermometer or using a toaster oven instead of a convection oven and trusting it's settings...

https://i.imgur.com/lFKdLi5.jpg

^ these results might make one hate PC'ing?

If standing long rifle casts is a problem there's a solution...a simple $5 mat does the job very nicely...

https://i.imgur.com/gRkvPuV.jpg?1

I like experimenting with the colors...this past year I've been trying to create the 'Old Lead' look...it's been rewarding and a lot of fun too.

https://i.imgur.com/NdBmBp5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3PLz3rp.jpg

Maybe the word 'hate' is a bit too strong, maybe it's right on the money for the person that said so...maybe, who even cares what they think or do?
PC keeps my seat dies clean and you can't say enough about that if you want constant COAL's.

JBinMN
02-24-2019, 04:34 PM
The title made for good "click bait" for this guy. Was wondering who would "hate" a "process" so bad that it would be worth even talking about... Oh well... There's all sorts of folks out there. Should not surprise me...
;)

Anyway, I tried PC once. It did not go well for me & I put it to the wayside & stuck with TL & pan lubing since then.

I just did not have the patience for getting it all worked out at the time, not because of the process so much as I wanted to get some boolits made to get out & go shooting, and I just didn't have the right motivation & patience to set my mind to getting it worked out when the other methods worked for me just fine & I was set up & ready to go with them.

I have PC'd fishing jigs for years, but the process I use for that is dipping each one at a time by holding the barbed hook end & then heating the attached powder thru a torch flame to melt & then hang to dry. Then pop it into an oven when I have the time, but if I am just gonna go fishing, I just use them as is...

Not too far off of what the PC process does, except in bigger batches at a time.

Someday soon, I will try again. Until then though, I will just read about how others "hate" the process & feel the need to whine about it on internet forums. LOL
:kidding:^ Jerking the haters chain! ;) ^

Reminds me of those who come into topics & do "drive by posts" about a topic others are interested in, but the "drive by posters" don't have any interest, but want to tell the ones who do have interest in it, how stupid they are for even thinking about it. Instead of just moving on & finding some topic the "drive bys" Are interested in talking about...

But, like I said earlier in the post... "There's all sorts of folks out there. Should not surprise me..."
:)

Let them hate... Haters gonna be haters....

Bazoo
02-24-2019, 04:35 PM
OS OK, what type of mat is that? How does that work compared to a wire rack made from chicken wire?

edwin41
02-24-2019, 04:49 PM
no hatred here !
for me different things work in different ways.
i really like the HITEK coating , i want to use it for my .32 S&W long HBWC because i want a clean shot for my hammerli pistol.
in time i will try HITEK coating for my 9 mm subsonic loads with a 147 gr boolit , i think 9 mm really benefits from this exellent coating.

then again... my HBWC boolits in .38 special loads get a good sizing and lubing through my lubesizer and loaded with the classic bullseye load.
these are for my vintage S&W mod 14 , and a classic like this needs the classic load , never going to change that !

my husqvarna rifle gets yet another way of reloading .
this rifle only gets shot with a 140 gr boolit... paperpatched , its super for the soft alloys i am using and i really don t want to chance it.

so , in my opinion every method has is own purpose , none is better than the other ... just different.

edwin41
02-24-2019, 04:55 PM
oh... and i really like that old lead look !
the finishing touch for the vintage cartridges , must be a master of coating at work here !

OS OK
02-24-2019, 05:04 PM
OS OK, what type of mat is that? How does that work compared to a wire rack made from chicken wire?

I have never tried chicken wire so I can't really say...this black one above ^ is a silicone ice cube tray ( 1/2" cells ) that a fella over in Kentucky sent me when he saw me struggling to keep my 8mm casts standing upright all the way to the oven.

I got these microwave mats off Amazon...I think? They were too small for my .324" casts and made a mess of their bases...prolly might work fine for <.30 cals.

https://i.imgur.com/uXPIthB.jpg

THere's a million different mats out there, seems everybody makes a different one.

JBinMN
02-24-2019, 05:24 PM
Hmmm Charlie... Those other types might work for me. both .30 cal & .223/5.56...

******, now ya got me thinkin about buying more stuff...
;)

Rcmaveric
02-24-2019, 05:28 PM
No hatred here either. I just feels like equal effort nor matter what I use. PCing is easier, but just as time consuming as lubersizing. So for me it is just another tool in the tool box. I prefer lubing for accuracy work and PCing for bulk ammo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Froogal
02-24-2019, 05:35 PM
Pan lubing and tumble lubing do not require an oven.

Minerat
02-24-2019, 05:54 PM
I do them all, pan, tumble, Lam II and PC and a mix. It depends on how I feel that day. I do every thing from .172 to .50 I'm fairly new to this game so it all fascinates me. Started pan lubing and may have not tried the others if I had tried PC first. But I surly don't hate any of the methods and still do each when the whim strikes me. Though I have to admit the traffic purple do make a statement when loaded in the 454 Casull.

OS OK
02-24-2019, 06:21 PM
Hmmm Charlie... Those other types might work for me. both .30 cal & .223/5.56...

******, now ya got me thinkin about buying more stuff...
;)

hehehehehe...break out that wallet, you got so much cash in it already your sitting lopsided! hehehehe...glad to help JB!

sghart3578
02-24-2019, 06:44 PM
I don't hate the concept of PC'ing cast boolits. I think some of the push back from traditional guys comes when the PC crowd gets going about how much better a procedure that they have and then start spreading misconceptions about traditional lubes, probably based on their own bad experiences.

I also see how the PC procedure can become a hobby unto itself. Different colors, different procedures, more equipment to buy (and who among us doesn't like to invest in tools?)

And for some guys they like the reloading time more than they like the range time.

As for me, I like to focus on the shooting part, not necessarily the reloading part. And I like to keep it simple. I mix Lee Alox 50/50 with mineral spirits. I then give my bullets one very light coat of lube. Something like 1/2 teaspoon per 100 bullets.

They dry very quickly, they aren't tacky, they don't gum up my seating dies and they don't smoke. Accuracy is splendid and as long as the bullet fits I get no leading. This method of lubing is fast, efficient, very inexpensive and requires no additional brainpower from me.

But to each his own.

Steve in N CA

Conditor22
02-24-2019, 07:20 PM
This is my opinion, others may vary.
Lube= smokey, have to wipe /make sure each boolits base is clean, gets dies dirty. Someone said there's no cooking involved in lube, I found it a pain to make lube sticks for my lube-sizer. Lube dries out and cracks/falls out over time, temperature sensitive.

PC no more smoke than J-words doesn't mess up dies, not temperature sensitive, pretty colors (girls like pretty colors! which only matters if you like girls :)), an easy way to mark different loads/charges with different colors. [I have US and European 9MM's that require 2 different sized boolits, the europeans are .002 bigger than the US, If you want the lead look you can go with clear PC.
I kinda like platinum
https://i.imgur.com/gY726QL.jpg
or metalic silver
https://i.imgur.com/XcVAKdl.jpg

I do both PC and HiTek. HiTek is the coating the commercial casters use, it is not a new thing. It was developed in Australia 25 years ago and is a standard for their competitions.

I mainly use HiTek when I'm coating large batches 35 lbs or more. PC I use most of the time.
There is a PC that doesn't want to stick to anything to a PC that sticks to everything. PC goes on between .001 to .005+ depending on the PC.
I've found that HiGloss Polyester (usually TGIC) works the best for me.

Yes, some people are set in there ways, You can look at it like Lube has worked for 100+ years, why change. I say humans walked for most of their existence on earth why ride or drive :) LOL

I concur it's hard to change something that has worked your whole casting career.

**no hate here, folks can use whatever their comfortable with**

RED BEAR
02-24-2019, 07:48 PM
Hey i don't tumble or pan lube also don't powder coat. But if any of the above is your cup of tea then go for it. Anyone who would give you greef over something like this doesn't need to have his opinion taken serious. Different strokes for different folks.

unique
02-24-2019, 07:50 PM
Hmmm, I been lubing with a Lyman 45 for a lot years and was thinking about maybe trying PC to see if it is a useful process and came here to read up on it and then I find this hate discussion going on over here. Seems to me that some of the PC guys are little too emotionally attached to a process and somehow trying to get converts to their sect? Just an outsider's observation...

Winger Ed.
02-24-2019, 08:00 PM
You see that everywhere, and it's normal.

The Plumbers did it when PVC pipe came along, mechanics did it when electronic ignition hit the street,
accountants did it when calculators came along, etc.

My Grandma had a similar reaction when people could get 'store bought' buttermilk instead of making your own.

Yodogsandman
02-24-2019, 08:03 PM
PC has short falls just like lube does. I get vehement hatred when I point out the differences on other cast bullet forums. I use both PC and lube to the best of their abilities but, I don't tell the haters. The haters only have any experience with PC.

tomme boy
02-24-2019, 10:20 PM
I do both. If I want the most accurate load possible I use a lubed bullet. If I want just blasting ammo, I use PC. I just can not find anything that shoots anywhere near as good as a lubed bullet so far. I keep trying but so far not yet.

Bazoo
02-24-2019, 10:28 PM
I'd think for blasting ammo... tumble lubed would be about the easiest and fastest. My only experience so far with PC is some Lee 309-150-FN bullets that were sent to me with a mould. They wouldnt chamber in my Winchester 94. The nose was too fat, but the bullets work fine when traditional or tumble lubed.

One of my complaints about PC is the dang colors. Bullets arent supposed to be rainbow colored. Silver/grey, black and copper is the only acceptable colors for projectiles for my tastes.

country gent
02-25-2019, 12:29 AM
The one place where PC and Hi tec fall short is when shooting BPCR rifles with real black powder, Here you need the lubed bullets not just for leading but to keep powder fouling soft. I cast big soft bullets, pan lube them then shoot them over doses of Black powder compressed. SPG or emmerts improved and fouling stays soft

fredj338
02-25-2019, 05:47 PM
I think many are just old dogs like me, slow to change. I was skeptical but after giving coatings a try, I will not likely go back to lubes. Maybe in a poop HTF scenarios, but as long as I have elec, I'll be baking coatings onto my bullets. Black powder being an exception, I get more than adequate accuracy with coated, but I have yet to Ransom test to confirm. I can shoot no better than 2" offhand @ 25y with my best pistols with any bullet type.
The process is as complicated as you want to make it, just like most things. I find HT easier, but you need to bake twice. PC will handle a bit higher pressures w/o losing accuracy. So just kinda depends on what you need.

Burnt Fingers
02-25-2019, 06:57 PM
I think many are just old dogs like me, slow to change. I was skeptical but after giving coatings a try, I will not likely go back to lubes. Maybe in a poop HTF scenarios, but as long as I have elec, I'll be baking coatings onto my bullets. Black powder being an exception, I get more than adequate accuracy with coated, but I have yet to Ransom test to confirm. I can shoot no better than 2" offhand @ 25y with my best pistols with any bullet type.
The process is as complicated as you want to make it, just like most things. I find HT easier, but you need to bake twice. PC will handle a bit higher pressures w/o losing accuracy. So just kinda depends on what you need.

You're a better shooter than I am. Of course my eyes are getting older fast. 15 yards is about my limit. I can hit a clay pigeon at that range 85% of the time with my Canik and red dot. About 60% of the time with my 1911 and irons.

Hi-Tek and PC are plenty accurate for everything I'm doing with a handgun.

KenT7021
03-03-2019, 08:25 PM
I must have overlooked the hate posts.I don't powder coat and have no interest in doing so.I don't tumble lube either and haven't pan lubed since I bought my first lube sizer.I am simply happy with my lube sizers.Anyone else is free to do what they wish as well.

EDG
03-03-2019, 09:20 PM
There are those who preach that progressives are the only fit loaders to use. Most of those preachers are pistol shooters and their reloading activities are nothing like mine. I do not shoot pistols and have no need for a progressive. I shoot smaller volumes with single shot rifles. What good would PC do for me?

richhodg66
03-03-2019, 09:32 PM
There are those who preach that progressives are the only fit loaders to use. Most of those preachers are pistol shooters and their reloading activities are nothing like mine. I do not shoot pistols and have no need for a progressive. I shoot smaller volumes with single shot rifles. What good would PC do for me?

Pretty much the same boat here, wouldn't take a progressive loader if you gave me one. I do shoot pistols, but not thousands of rounds at a sitting like some guys. I just don't see powder coating offering me anything.

Burnt Fingers
03-04-2019, 01:05 PM
I must have overlooked the hate posts.I don't powder coat and have no interest in doing so.I don't tumble lube either and haven't pan lubed since I bought my first lube sizer.I am simply happy with my lube sizers.Anyone else is free to do what they wish as well.

The hate isn't here. It's on other forums.

I actually had one guy say he tried powder coating with Hi-Tek and it didn't work. I tried to tell him Hi-Tek wasn't a powder coat and he said yes it is. It's a powder. In his mind Hi-Tek is a gimmick because he couldn't be bothered to read the directions.

Other people telling me that Hi-Tek adds too much diameter to the bullet...I have to wonder if they've ever tried it. Or it takes too long, like they have to stand there while it dries and while it bakes.

Petander
03-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Sometimes we who fall in love with coatings can be too enthusiastic,irritating people. I'm guilty.

My main interests for coating are big bores and shotguns. Here where I live, pistol reloading is more expensive than buying factory ammo, even with free bullets. Big bores,big savings. I do make subsonic 9mm and 308 , coated cast.

Gun cleaning time has shortened a lot. Not much to clean,I shoot severeal times a week. Everything is neat,clean and tidy.

I'd say I got back to casting because of coatings,especially Hi Tek which I find easy to repeat exactly the same batch after batch.

I also use guitars with curved frets for proper intonation,it's been hard to swallow for some. :)

Baltimoreed
03-04-2019, 02:55 PM
Another poster made the comment that he used whatever gave him the best load that he could build, either using pc or traditional lubrisizing. I’m in that boat and use pc [to consume my stash of junk lead] for most of my pistol ammo and traditional lube for my rifles and .455 Webleys. Both are means to an end, the end being ammo that goes bang and bullets that hit what I’m aiming at.

Froogal
03-04-2019, 03:18 PM

The biggest reason that I pan lube and tumble lube is because I am too cheap to buy a lube-sizer. Someday, I will have one.

rbuck351
03-06-2019, 01:01 PM
I used to hate the mess of the lube sizers but with the Star that isn't an issue any more. The lube goes in the groove and no where else. They still smoke when fired but I don't shoot indoors so I don't care. Short of tumble lubing, I believe the Star to be the fastest method available. Set a boolit in the sizer die an pull the handle, repeat, repeat.... However, PC is capable of enlarging a boolits dia and hardening the surface for better rifling grip but it does take a while to handle each boolit with tweezers and standing them and getting them in the oven. The small dia long boolits being especially a pita. PC does appear to be working well in my 93 mauser 7x57 with it's fast twist and somewhat loose bore and chamber. I have just started using PC and have yet to try it on some Lee nose rider molds to see if I can pick up enough dia to get the nose big enough to actually touch the bore. All methods seem to have some advantages and some issues.

slide
03-06-2019, 06:52 PM
I use the Bruce Lee method. As most of you know he was one of the greatest martial artists in the world. He looked at all styles and used what would work. That's what I do. If it will work for me I use it. The problem is that everybody wants to be on what I call the right wagon. Respect each other and learn from each other. We are all like minded or we wouldn't be here. Think of others as your brothers! HEY, I made a rhyme,COOL!!!

Gatch
03-11-2019, 10:42 PM
I use the Bruce Lee method. As most of you know he was one of the greatest martial artists in the world. He looked at all styles and used what would work. That's what I do. If it will work for me I use it. The problem is that everybody wants to be on what I call the right wagon. Respect each other and learn from each other. We are all like minded or we wouldn't be here. Think of others as your brothers! HEY, I made a rhyme,COOL!!!

That's almost scientific ! Accept what works and discard what doesn't.

Drew P
06-08-2019, 01:32 AM
I’m puzzled by the number of people who claim not to coat and aren’t interested yet are in this chat room! Do y’all lurk on every forum room here? Lol. I gave up PC, too fussy, but this hitek stuff is sent from above! I don’t see any advantage to messy lube. Lead exposure on my hands at the range is reason enough to coat! The only time I actually touch lead anymore is taking the bare boolits out of the quench water bucket. From there they get dried and coated, and the lead is sealed inside a protective layer. Oh and btw, with hitek that layer is about .0005” thick, very nice when you’d rather not grow your boolits.

PAT303
06-08-2019, 05:19 AM

My MkIII Lee Enfield shoots inside 1.5'' at 100 all day using Hi-Tek, no lube purge flyers, no gummed up dies or rifle, I haven't had much luck with PC but Hi-Tek is brilliant.

6bg6ga
06-08-2019, 06:33 AM
Powder coating is the dark side.

Texas by God
06-08-2019, 08:15 AM
I’m sure that there was resistance to the idea of Lee Liquid Alox when it came out, too. There are still people that say lubrisizers are superior; yet I’m getting frequent 1” groups @100 yds with push thru & LLA so You can’t prove it by me.

Willbird
06-08-2019, 09:17 AM
I’m sure that there was resistance to the idea of Lee Liquid Alox when it came out, too. There are still people that say lubrisizers are superior; yet I’m getting frequent 1” groups @100 yds with push thru & LLA so You can’t prove it by me.

I completely resist Lee liquid earwax. When it first came out I played around with it quite a bit, was not in any way happy with results, so I do not use it.

Bill

white eagle
06-09-2019, 07:48 PM
powder coating is the only way to go for me
tired of the gooey greasy stuff.gums up my dies and don't really work as well as pc has for me
I musta never got the correct size or what have you using traditional lubes so I gave pc a try
will not go back to lube
lot of people hate the new fangled telescopic sight and use iron sights but to each his own

Taterhead
06-09-2019, 11:41 PM
I would have never been here on CB if it were not for some Hi-Tek bullets that I purchased from Leatherhead Bullets a few years ago and loaded into a few different calibers. It made me come to the conclusion that coated cast bullets shoot really well. They are clean and don't have the smoke of lubed cast. That's what won me over to casting. The simplicity of coating and the results on steel and paper speak for themselves. Plus my cost per round is now lower.

6bg6ga
06-10-2019, 06:14 AM
Its un natural. If God had wanted bullets to be coated he would have made an 11th commandment. "Thou shalt have coated Bullets" until then I will still size and lube my own. Its just not right to have red or pink bullets just not right.

Rcmaveric
06-10-2019, 08:34 AM
Its un natural. If God had wanted bullets to be coated he would have made an 11th commandment. "Thou shalt have coated Bullets" until then I will still size and lube my own. Its just not right to have red or pink bullets just not right.If expands my reloading budget by bartering with the wifes wants. So be it. A mans gotta do what a mans gotts do. I would bedazzle her some hollow points if ment an extra pound of powder and case of primers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sundog
06-10-2019, 09:44 AM
Its un natural. If God had wanted bullets to be coated he would have made an 11th commandment. "Thou shalt have coated Bullets" until then I will still size and lube my own. Its just not right to have red or pink bullets just not right.

Look again, it's in the fine print...[smilie=1:

I shot a military bolt match this past Saturday with PC'd RCBS 30-180-SP --- and won 5 of 6 stages!

DerekP Houston
06-10-2019, 11:58 AM
I use all 3 methods, hitek for the calibers it works great at (45, 38spec), powder coat for some finicky stuff (9mm), and plain tumble lube if I'm lazy and just want plinking ammo. Each still has their purposes and fan-bois.

white eagle
06-12-2019, 10:17 AM

that's what they said about the world being round
and using cooper jackets on bullets

Conditor22
06-12-2019, 11:29 AM

It's unnatural. If God had wanted bullets to be lubed he would have made an 11th commandment. "Thou shalt have lubed Bullets" until then I will still size and paper patch my own. It's just not right to have sticky bullets that gunk up your fingers and dies, just not right. :bigsmyl2:

If we didn't accept progress, we'd still be shoving lead balls down the barrel.

Gatch
06-19-2019, 05:12 AM
It's unnatural. If God had wanted bullets to be lubed he would have made an 11th commandment. "Thou shalt have lubed Bullets" until then I will still size and paper patch my own. It's just not right to have sticky bullets that gunk up your fingers and dies, just not right. :bigsmyl2:

If we didn't accept progress, we'd still be shoving lead balls down the barrel.

Or using bow and arrow. Or hucking rocks

6bg6ga
06-19-2019, 05:48 AM
I have a hatred for powder coated bullets. Its just plain silly to spend that much time shaking the snot out of bullets and then putting them on a sheet to cook them with a pair of tweezers one at a time. Too much waste of time when the same amount of time I could have processed 500 or more bullets on the star sizer lubricator.

6bg6ga
06-19-2019, 05:58 AM
Ok, THAT DOES IT!!! Its just plain sacrilege to powder coat bullets. God has a special place in hell for those that powder coat bullets. God said let there be light and there was. God said let there be sized and lubed bullets and companies were born to manufacture sizing/lubing machines. God saw that this was good and smiled down upon the gun industry and said do not deviate from this process.

Forrest r
06-19-2019, 06:18 AM
Ok, THAT DOES IT!!! Its just plain sacrilege to powder coat bullets. God has a special place in hell for those that powder coat bullets. God said let there be light and there was. God said let there be sized and lubed bullets and companies were born to manufacture sizing/lubing machines. God saw that this was good and smiled down upon the gun industry and said do not deviate from this process.

Glad to see you still use the old pagan rituals of lubing and sizing bullets.:kidding:

6bg6ga
06-19-2019, 06:20 AM
Well, I bought equipment to do so and I need to use the equipment to justify the purchase, Besides like I mentioned God likes sized and lubed bullets. When you shoot off a round it reminds God of candle smoke and he likes that.

Shingle
06-19-2019, 06:42 AM
To each his own, but i shoot hy-tec coated lead out of 9mm carbines at higher speeds than jacketed and have never had more than a small spot of lead in a barrel with a flaw. All i shoot is range srap and hardness seems to matter very little, so i fail to see what all the hate is about.

robg
06-20-2019, 07:39 AM
im waiting for some bright spark to work out a system where you shake then let dry no baking involved.just like tumble lubing.