PDA

View Full Version : Removing Loctite ?

hylander
02-23-2019, 10:02 PM
So is there a chemical product that will get Loctite out of screw holes.
I have an XS sight that the screws were loaded with Loctite.
They will not budge, broke the head of one screw driver and now the screw slots are stripped.
These are very tiny windage adjustment screws.
The Loctite is white in color if that matters.
Soaking in Diesel fuel maybe?

Plate plinker
02-23-2019, 10:06 PM
Curious as well, the normal method is to heat the offending screw.

bassnbuck
02-23-2019, 10:18 PM
Try holding a soldering iron on the screw head if the screw slots are still useable. If that fails a Good welder with a tig machine can get them out

lefty o
02-23-2019, 10:26 PM
soak with kroil, and a bit of heat will loosen loctite.

Texas by God
02-23-2019, 10:32 PM
Wd-40 works sometimes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

5Shot
02-23-2019, 10:33 PM
I doubt soaking will do anything...there isn't going to be a path for the solvent to reach down into the threads. Soldering iron is the correct answer. Lots of heat and very little muscle.

hylander
02-23-2019, 11:40 PM
Thanks, will try the soldering iron.

egg250
02-23-2019, 11:46 PM
One more thumbs up for the soldering iron. Tip of the iron on the screw head, heat will travel and soften the loc-tite.

Hossfly
02-23-2019, 11:49 PM
Heat concentrated on the screw head should work.

lefty o
02-23-2019, 11:50 PM
kroil will get in and soften loctite, even the red stuff.

Boolit_Head
02-24-2019, 12:30 AM
If it is white it may not be Locktite but Rockset. Locktite is susceptible to heat and each type should break loose at different temperatures. However I am not aware of any Locktite that is white in color. Rockset however does appear a crystalline white in color. Rockset is not susceptible to heat like Locktite is but it will dissolve in water. I use it on my suppressor due to the heat it reaches. Soak it in warm water and it will get in there and loosen it. It may take a while to soak.

As a side note I would not use Rockset on screws. It's sort of a bear to get loose. The first time I tried disassembling my suppressor after using the Rockset on it I thought I had made a bad mistake. Several more hours soaking in the water finally broke it loose though. If you almost never want it to come loose that is a good use for it. Now I only use it on the end that threads onto the barrel to keep it from coming loose. The other end I don't use it.

hylander
02-24-2019, 02:23 AM
Got them out with heat from the soldering iron and pressure of a screw driver.
Thanks for the input, just need to find new screws now.

Stephen Cohen
02-24-2019, 02:59 AM
If soldering iron does not transfer enough heat you can heat a nail to red hot an hold it on screw with needle pliers. Regards Stephen