PDA

View Full Version : Rossi, are they worth buying

terrytm
02-23-2019, 09:33 PM
Hi:

I was looking at a Rossi at the LGS and it looked petty good.

The owner of the store said they are low end and not to expect much.

What say you?

Thanks,

Terrytm

Der Gebirgsjager
02-23-2019, 09:47 PM
Hi Terry -- welcome to the forum! I own two Rossi levers, a stainless .44 Mag. and a blue .45 Colt. Both are accurate and well made. The .45 was purchased from a forum member here, and he'd been through it and it functions very well. The .44 feeds reluctantly, but works if the lever is operated slowly. I haven't had time to address the issue yet, but I'm sure it will be just fine after I take it apart and remove any burrs and polish parts as needed. The fitting and finish on both are very good. I'm not a cowboy action shooter, but have a long-time friend who is, and he says they work well for that application as far as durability. Perhaps the local dealer has some dummy rounds he'd let you function check the rifle with.
Anyway, considering the overall appearance and price, I'd buy both of mine again.

pietro
02-23-2019, 09:56 PM

Welcome aboard, Terry !

It sounds like your local gun store owner is trying to discourage buyers from purchasing anything other than what he has in stock.

The Rossi Model 92 gives a buyer the best bang for their buck (pun intended) in a pistol caliber lever action rifle.

The only thing "low end" about them is that some stocks were made of South American hardwood, ILO the Black Walnut Americans are used to.

Some may need a little internal smoothing ( see: www.stevesgunz.com ), but the several I've owned have run just fine, out of the box.

They take the same aftermarket sights made for Winchester 94's, so if you want to switch out sights it's E-Z-Peazy (but you will have to usually D/T the receiver for receiver/peep sights).

Silvercreek Farmer
02-23-2019, 11:11 PM
My 44 Mag has a good gouge in the forend where the barrel band was installed. The stock finish is kinda strange, and it ejects brass into the next county (fixable, but I haven't). But overall I'd say it's certainly worth the money. Somehow, the tip off of the safety broke off while dry cycling, but I never used it anyway.

Hootmix
02-23-2019, 11:27 PM
I can't speak about the newer models,, mine is a mid 90's model ,,feeds 44-40 as fast as you can work the lever and other than stoning some rough parts inside she's all stock,, I don't shoot CAS,, just reload and " SHOOT " . If you get one ,, any problem's you run into ,, folks here " been their done that " their glad to help.

coffee's ready , Hootmix.

.45colt
02-23-2019, 11:39 PM
I gave My older Rossi .357 short rifle to My Daughter & Son in law for a defense gun. Son in law loves it and will never part with it. last year I scored one in 44-40 new in the box on Gunbroker at a give away price . both are smooth as butter and shoot really well. would buy again.

iomskp
02-24-2019, 02:43 AM
I used to shoot an older model Rossi in 357 in single action, accurate and reliable, the only reason I changed I could not afford to keep buying 38 brass for every one else, nobody else in the club uses 32/20 only lost one piece of brass in 2 years.

Stephen Cohen
02-24-2019, 03:01 AM
Good rifles good value and strong, happy with my 357 mag. Regards Stephen

rcslotcar
02-24-2019, 04:52 AM
My pump action in .22 mag works perfectly.

jonp
02-24-2019, 07:46 AM
My 45LC works fine for me but I was thinking of taking it apart to stone when I have the time just to fiddle with it a little bit. I like the light weight.

kungfustyle
02-24-2019, 08:08 AM
I have a Rossi 92 44mag and get baseball size groups at 100 yards with mine all day. Great little gun. It will surprise you how much they kick. Mine functions great with no modifications. Only downside are they aren't drilled and tapped for a peep sight.

William Yanda
02-24-2019, 08:13 AM
Does the LGS have the gun priced in accordance to his evaluation?

pworley1
02-24-2019, 08:15 AM
I have 3 and have had no issues with any of them. I have no intentions of getting ride of them. I do not hesitate to take them into the woods or to the range.

jstanfield103
02-24-2019, 08:15 AM
I have had Rossi in the past, and if I ever find a 44 or .357 in octagon I will have one again. Mine was a smooth functioning rifle that I really liked. Only sold it at the time due to money troubles. Now I have Winchester and Marlins. But I would not hesitate to buy Rossi again.

Stephen Cohen
02-24-2019, 08:20 AM
Does the LGS have the gun priced in accordance to his evaluation?

I think you have hit the nail on the head sir. I was once told a $100 Norinco 1911 was no good only colt was the way to go, well I save $900 and got the Norinco and I have the medals to prove he was wrong. I believe the LGS is playing the same game as mine did, I say buy the Rossi. Regards Stephen

phonejack
02-24-2019, 09:56 AM
I didn't have to but, I disassembled mine and smoothed the flat surfaces with different sizes of Arkansas stones. While I was at it I refinished the wood. Last summer I replaced the sights with a Marbles tang and a Lyman globe front. Mine is a stainless 24" octogon in .357. It feeds swc's and hp's flawlessly.

Watcher
02-24-2019, 10:02 AM
I love my little Rossi 92 in .45. The wife and I were at a gun show one day and I was poking along looking stuff over and she was on ahead of me. Came walking up to me and said Honey I got yah something, and handed me that Little Rossi. Like wow, gotta love that woman. The 3 things I don't like and they can be changed. I don' like the buckhorn site, to far away for old eyes. And Rossi made it very long to try and get it closer, so it moves if you bump it. Don't like the stupid safety and the lever is very tight for my hands. Steve's guns has a peep sight he makes that you get rid of the safety, and put the peep sight in that hole, that fixes 2 of the problems. Then I just got to find someone who sells a lever with a bigger opening for my hand. Otherwise this little gun grows on you. I love this little gun. Very happy.

Texas by God
02-24-2019, 10:09 AM
I'd love to have another in 44-40. I've owned one 44-40 and two .357s. They all needed the Steve's guns treatment (video) but they were great afterwards. The 44-40 just seemed "righter" to me. Mine were all pre safety/preBraztech. I'd say get it.

trapper9260
02-24-2019, 10:23 AM
I have a Rossi 92 in 357mag and happy with it and dead on.I shoot mainly the cast I do up and compare that load to my BH because I want the same ammo in both.I do not worry about looks because of to use it for the woods beside target shooting. It works for me. For how the OP stated about the seller that they are trying to push a higher cost gun. But I wonder why they have that gun for sale if they are trying to talk them out of buying it. My gunsmith bought back the same type of gun from someone that he got for them and is the same he got me and got it for his wife and used it for himself during the deer season and got his deer with it.He did say about change the sights on it.

Froogal
02-24-2019, 11:01 AM
I shoot an R92 in .45 Colt. Wife shoots an R92 in .357. No problems with either one and they are as accurate as we are.

sparky45
02-24-2019, 11:04 AM
Read the entire thread and to a poster, everyone is satisfied with Rossi. I have two; a 357 with Oct. barrel and a 44-40 Oct. Each have had their actions honed and some after market Steve's Guns parts and both are fantastic.

Texas by God
02-24-2019, 11:34 AM
My last .357 Rossi would outshoot my pre64 Winchester 30-30 at 100 yards. I put a Dockendorff rear sight on it- I never have liked semi buckhorn sights.

FergusonTO35
02-24-2019, 11:38 AM
I would love to have one in .357 to save wear on my JM 1894.

If1Hitu
02-24-2019, 11:51 AM
I bought a Lever Action Rossi 92 .357 stainless a few months ago.I am very happy with it at the range,i don't hunt.

bob208
02-24-2019, 11:55 AM
I have a old one pre safety in .357. it shoots very good with heavy .357 loads and lite .38 loads. I use mostly .38-44 loads. it does well on groundhogs and deer. when standing in the rack with my real 92's it is a little hard to pick out in a hurry.

rbuck351
02-24-2019, 11:59 AM
My m92 is in 454 Casull and has worked well from day one. I haven't bothered with smoothing it as is was a little stiff but smooth when new. I replaced the safety with a home made peep and it shoots as well as my old eyes can see using iron sights.

crappie-hunter
02-24-2019, 12:27 PM
I have two, a 44mag and a 357mag, and they are not for sale,have taken deer with both. If it's priced right buy it,wish the shop that had it was close to me.

pietro
02-24-2019, 12:33 PM
I love my little Rossi 92 in .45.

I just got to find someone who sells a lever with a bigger opening for my hand.

Rossi made a Big Loop M-92 carbine (Mine were a .357 & a .45 Colt) and their current M-92 Ranch Hand handguns have a big loop - so if you can't obtain a big loop directly from the Rossi parts dept, you might be able to swap with someone who doesn't like their Big Loop (like me - I swapped out both my Big Loop lever to someone who was dying to have them).

Also, www.stevesgunz.com is a Model 1892/92 expert, who may be able to procure a Big Loop for you.

https://rdougwicker.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/p1000015.jpg

Petrol & Powder
02-24-2019, 12:33 PM
WELCOME !

I don't know what Rossi the OP is referring to but I had a Rossi lever action chambered in 357 mag and it was a good rifle.

Internally it looked like the parts had been machined with rocks but after some judicious polishing the action cleaned up nicely. It functioned well and was very accurate. I sold it years ago to fund something else and I have a slight twinge of regret for letting it go.

dverna
02-24-2019, 01:02 PM
I had one in ..45 LC. Not a bad rifle for the price. It is not a CAS rifle if you want to be competitive. It cannot be made to run as fast as a Marlin or 1873.

Great shooter if that is what you are looking for. Not easy to take apart....at least not as easy as the others above.

mazo kid
02-24-2019, 03:20 PM
I have two early pre-safety '92s, 44-40 and 45LC. Both work well. I recently got a '92 stainless steel in 38/357. Seemed stiff out of the box. Never took it all the way down, just stoned the parts that were visible when opening the action. Lubed and worked the action several times. Things smoothed right up. Trigger was also very stiff; worked that several (many!) times, smoothed the trigger spring, shimmed it a tad, and it too is now just right. Also, mine will function as fast as you can work the action, don't know what more you can ask of it.

budman5
02-24-2019, 03:35 PM
Mine is slick as...
Just took about 2 hours to make it function with just one finger.
I have the 44 mag in SS...It's wonderful to carry...

Texas by God
02-24-2019, 04:12 PM
John Wayne, Chuck Conners and Steve McQueen can whoop up on me in heaven- I don't like big loop levers. Of course as a Texan, I don't even know what a mitten is either. I think that was the original purpose......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

firebyprolong
02-24-2019, 05:07 PM
I bought a 44mag a few years ago when they where 400$ ish bucks, and really like it. Pretty rough internally out of the box. I built a safety delete plug and went though it with a stone and cleaned everything up and put a spring kit in it. Took a few hours but very much worth the time, It made a huge difference in how it ran.

Watcher
02-24-2019, 05:51 PM
Rossi made a Big Loop M-92 carbine (Mine were a .357 & a .45 Colt) and their current M-92 Ranch Hand handguns have a big loop - so if you can't obtain a big loop directly from the Rossi parts dept, you might be able to swap with someone who doesn't like their Big Loop (like me - I swapped out both my Big Loop lever to someone who was dying to have them).

Also, www.stevesgunz.com is a Model 1892/92 expert, who may be able to procure a Big Loop for you.

https://rdougwicker.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/p1000015.jpg

Heck no way to big of a loop, just a bit more room is what I want, but thanks

TaylorS
02-24-2019, 06:37 PM
I have 2 the 44-40 is a older model and butter smooth the 45 Colt was nib a few years ago came with a rail mounted on it took that off and kinda put the rear sight on still shoots a little to the left but it’s also smooth with a good trigger no complaints on any of their stuff I’ve shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT Gianni
02-24-2019, 07:00 PM
TaylorS, consider running your lever with the hand on the outside and fingers tucked in the loop.

AnthonyB
02-24-2019, 07:23 PM
I have three Rossi 92s and will buy more. They all benefited from the action mods described above, and two of them wear red dot sights in NOE barrel mounts. Best value for the money in lever guns is you are willing to do a little finish work.
Tony

terrytm
02-24-2019, 09:16 PM
Hi:

Thanks to every one.

I will go and see if it is still there and buy it.

Terrytm

Texas by God
02-24-2019, 10:43 PM
TaylorS, consider running your lever with the hand on the outside and fingers tucked in the loop.That's what I have to do with my CAS amigo's guns with their leather wrapped levers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

northmn
02-25-2019, 08:30 AM
I have a 357 and never bothered to "slick it up" and still like it. Levers tend to slick up anyway just unloading and shooting them. About the only thing I could complain about with mine is that it does have a short stock. In the 357 its no big deal but it might be an issue in 44 mag. There are also some very blunt nosed ammo types that it does not care for but it feeds well with most. I like mine and shoot it a lot.

DEP

badwolf
02-25-2019, 09:26 AM
What's a good price on a stainless one, saw 2 in a lgs for $695?

KCSO
02-25-2019, 10:37 AM
I got my first Rossi in 1969 and carried it in the cruiser for years, wife hunted with it and it got shot a lot, no problems. Since then I have owned or worked on maybe a hundred of these and each with minor tuning has made a good using gun. I am not partial to the modern safety on the newer guns gut that is an easy remedy. From the box they are not a Winchester but for the money you can't go wrong. Currently they are hard to get as Rossi is not shipping them but if you can find one you won't lose money.

TaylorS
02-25-2019, 12:47 PM
TaylorS, consider running your lever with the hand on the outside and fingers tucked in the loop.

It’s the sight that’s not straight with the bore I hammered it in but haven’t really sat down to tune it true to the bore it’s close enough for short shooting but for the 100y+ I need to sit down and really aight it in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Boy
02-25-2019, 01:20 PM
Can anyone match or exceed over 15,000 45 Colt reloads smokeless & black powder down the bore of my 24" Rossi with no malfunctions or broken parts? Granted the wood is not Black Walnut but what other '92 model Winchester is on the market for under $500

JoeJames
02-25-2019, 01:30 PM
I have a Rossi 92 44mag and get baseball size groups at 100 yards with mine all day. Great little gun. It will surprise you how much they kick. Mine functions great with no modifications. Only downside are they aren't drilled and tapped for a peep sight.Agreed. But as far as feeding, like one thing I read; they feed best if you work the lever like you are trying to tear it up. Truly that is the case with mine. I have problems if I slowly work the lever.

mazo kid
02-25-2019, 02:03 PM
What's a good price on a stainless one, saw 2 in a lgs for $695?
While not a bad price, I think that is close to the MSRP. I got my NIB stainless M92 middle of last year for about $550.00 shipped. There are several listed on GunBroker now, plus other places.

Shawlerbrook
02-25-2019, 02:58 PM
I have a 357 levergun on my bucket list and would take a Rossi hands down over a Remington made Marlin.

Froogal
02-25-2019, 06:00 PM
What I have let my 2 Rossi's teach me is that hey run best when oiled generously.

Pilgrim
02-25-2019, 06:46 PM
LOOK THE RIFLE OVER CAREFULLY BEFORE PUTTING YOUR MONEY DOWN !!! I wanted the rifle in .45 Colt and ran across one at gun show being carted up & down the aisles. Bought it, $400 IIRC and took it home. 1st problem was it wouldn't feed properly. Bought the feed rail parts from stevesgunz, put them in, did a bit of fiddling around polishing, etc and now it feeds OK. It is particular 're rim diameter. Mine doesn't like oversized rims. You can get them to feed but don't be gentle working the action. I couldn't get mine sighted in. It was WAY right (2"+ @ 25 yards). Moving the rear and front sights the proper direction didn't help anywhere enough. Looked the barrel over closely and noted it wasn't straight. Not even close to straight. Sent it in to warranty repairs to get the barrel replaced and the rifle came back with the sights at their extreme limits in their dovetails, even loose in their dovetails, and STILL shooting around 1" right at 25 yards. No change in the barrel. Still severely bent. Found a custom rifle builder and barrel maker who agreed to straighten my barrel. ~$100 later I had a straight barrel and a very nice rifle re: accuracy, etc. Bottom line is the rumors that Taurus Customer service is beyond bad are correct. DON'T assume Taurus/Rossi will make your rifle right if it's screwed up. I like mine after all the fixing. It still cost way less than the Winchester 92 or Marlin 1894. Just be careful before you commit to the gun. BTW - the barrel groove diameter in my rifle is about .450 - .451. Pilgrim

GasGuzzler
03-16-2019, 08:08 AM
There is an evolution of the Rossi 92. They're not all created equal. The "real" Amedeo Rossi (pre-Braztech) guns have the front sight on the barrel band and a decent rear sight compared to the newer model's weirdo semi-buckhorn. The old ones DO NOT have a safety right in the way on top of the bolt...no safety at all. The old ones have no plastic parts (magazine follower on newer ones). The older ones do have odd wood BUT NOT the seemingly water base and fairly ugly stain the new ones have. The bluing and wood to metal fit is better on the originals as well. My ca. 1987 .357 feeds from about 1.45" to about 1.63" OAL and is smooth as glass, accurate too. The only downside of the old ones besides the front sight/band combo is Rossi (Braztech/Taurus/whatever) won't work on it or sell parts for it or assist in ANY way...but they hardly do for a new one either.

Castaway
03-17-2019, 06:45 AM
I’ll never buy a Rossi product again. Got a 92 in 45 Colt in spring of 2012. It wouldn’t feed properly. Cartridges came off lifter nose high and wouldn’t chamber. Problem existed with round nose, RNFP, hollow points and semi-wadcutters. Had a smith tinker with it, got it to chamber 50% of the time. Getting ready for hunting season I decided to remove the wood and put a coat of wax on unfinished places. Forearm had been routed out where there was an open gap between magazine tube and barrel. Contacted Rossi and they refused to send a new stock, said it was out of warranty. Tried to explain it was evident the problem wasn’t due to fair wear and tear, or even abuse and the stock had left the factory that way. Again, no help. Got rid of it and bought a Winchester. Much better rifle to shoot and company to deal with

GasGuzzler
03-17-2019, 07:01 AM
^^ That was a Braztech gun. ^^

WinchesterM1
03-17-2019, 08:59 AM
I have 4 Rossi lever guns, all but 1 are 20” blued a 357/38, 44 mag, 454 Casull and a 45 colt. The 454 casull is kinda hit or miss(probably a reason they stopped making them) I have killed a good number of deer with my 44 mag, using the lee 310 over a hearty charge of Win 296, I also have a 45 Colt with a stainless 24” octagon barrel with a brass reciever and butt plate with a hardwood stock it shoots really good

WinchesterM1
03-17-2019, 09:07 AM

FergusonTO35
03-17-2019, 08:07 PM
I would look at the post-Interarms Rossi rifles as I would a Remlin or Winchester 94 Ranger. They can be really good for the money but there is a good chance you will have to finish what the factory neglected to do. If you demand a rifle that is ready to go out of the box I would not recommend any new lever action cheaper than a Henry.

I dont mind tinkering so I am not afraid to take a chance on a cheap rifle. My Mossberg 464, purchased like new but used for $300.00, has required a fair amount of fiddling but is coming along nicely. Just picked up a neglected Winchester 94 Ranger for $200.00 and so the process begins again. I enjoy learning how to gunsmith and making a rifle just how I like it. If you don't, then dont buy a cheap lever action.

Chainsaw.
03-17-2019, 09:47 PM
I had one in 44mag I loved. Pulled a dumb dumb and sold it year back when I was strapped for cash.