PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning mold top smears

kywoodwrkr
12-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Referencing Beagles comments on Phase four-molten smears
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=382&highlight=smear+clean
What is best or prescribed method for cleaning up molds which have been screwed up in this manner.
Where the sprue plate is moved before the base is solid and the molten lead gets smeared over the top of the mold and on the bottom of the sprue plate?
I have a couple 4 cavity molds which need assitance.
Thanks.
DaveP

Bullshop
12-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Referencing Beagles comments on Phase four-molten smears
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=382&highlight=smear+clean
What is best or prescribed method for cleaning up molds which have been screwed up in this manner.
Where the sprue plate is moved before the base is solid and the molten lead gets smeared over the top of the mold and on the bottom of the sprue plate?
I have a couple 4 cavity molds which need assitance.
Thanks.
DaveP
The best way I have found to clean up smears and is quite easy. Bring the mold fully up to casting temp. Have several sharp hard pensils ready. Look for the grain or grinding marks in the metal and use the pencil point to push the lead away with the grain. This will remove any build up.
To remove color if neccessary I use a typwrighter eraser pencil on a cold mold.
To avoid the problem compleatly try Bull Plate lube. Check the thread from swapping and selling.
BIC/BS

David R
12-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Use the BruceB method of casting and YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO DEAL WITH LEAD SMEARS, have more consistant boolit weights, and pour more boolits per hour.

Not to step on your toes Bullshop, but there are more ways to skin a cat.

David

MGySgt
12-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Use the BruceB method of casting and YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO DEAL WITH LEAD SMEARS, have more consistant boolit weights, and pour more boolits per hour.

David

David R - Not to step on your toes - but if you have a high tin content and a large sprue hole even with the BruceB technique you CAN still get lead smears - I know for a fact - I have a brass mold I have to clean from this weekend.

I am ordering some Bull Plate Lube!

Drew

Bullshop
12-05-2005, 09:22 PM

David
yes more ways to skin a cat and warp a mold! Maby perhaps not quite the fastest way eather. And hitting those sprue plates with a club does nothing good for a mold eather.
BIC/BS

kywoodwrkr
12-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks one and all!
Appreciate the feedback.
Now to see if I can follow directions!
Will be a few weeks before I get time but at least I have a plan now.
Thanks again.
DaveP

fecmech
12-06-2005, 11:39 AM
I'll have to try the pencil idea in the future myself. What I have done to date with the spru plate is open it all the way and dip it in the molten lead for a short time. I then wipe it off with an old wash cloth or paper towel and voila no more smear. On the top of my iron blocks if I get a smear which I don't much anymore I've used a new single edge razor blade and scrape the lead off. It comes off like paint on window glass. Good luck Nick

StarMetal
12-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Not bragging but I've known about and used the pencil trick for more years then I care to think about. If I'm not mistakened I think Harris mentioned something about it in the NRA Cast Bullet Book. I'll have to admit that in some cases there are lead smears that are literally soldered to the block. Usually I use a brass brush (toothbrush style) to brush those away while the mould is hot. Then I pencil up the block and the top and bottom of the sprueplate real good with my pencil.

Joe

Bret4207
12-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Plain old 4/0 steel wool works good for me on a cold sprue plate. I polish the thing as much as I can and use a soft carpenters pencil to hit the "sticky" spots.

45 2.1
12-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Not bragging but I've known about and used the pencil trick for more years then I care to think about. If I'm not mistakened I think Harris mentioned something about it in the NRA Cast Bullet Book. I'll have to admit that in some cases there are lead smears that are literally soldered to the block. Usually I use a brass brush (toothbrush style) to brush those away while the mould is hot. Then I pencil up the block and the top and bottom of the sprueplate real good with my pencil.

Joe

You'll find the pencil trick in writing before Harris was born, its a old trick.

Junior1942
12-07-2005, 08:38 AM
I've been using NAPA spray graphite since I read about it somewhere on this forum, I think it was. Spray the bottom of the open sprue plate, and spray some on a rag and wipe it across the top of the blocks. It works way better than a pencil.

redneckdan
12-07-2005, 11:52 AM
I use silver grade C5-A. Works pretty good.

quasi
12-07-2005, 07:44 PM
I use a cloth that is made for removing discoloration and lead buildup from stainless steel handguns, can't remember what it is called. I think Outers makes it.

canuck4570
12-08-2005, 04:28 PM
:bigsmyl2: try lead away patches made by Kleen bore
few rub you will be suprise this on a cold mold of corse....