PDA

View Full Version : What is the best all round 380 ACP??

rmcc
02-23-2019, 12:26 AM
Been thinking of getting a 380 to carry. Not planning on using it for plinking. In winter or any jacket weather, I carry a Para LDA in shoulder holster. Otherwise has been a S&W model 60 iwb under shirt. What are your thoughts?

jmort
02-23-2019, 12:33 AM
I really like the LCP II
Ruger cleaned up the trigger
Bet your life reliable 10 ounce pocket pistol
Been carrying it with the Underwood (Lehigh Defense) Penetrator ammunition.

lefty o
02-23-2019, 12:50 AM
i like browning's 1911-380. small , thin, and light.

35remington
02-23-2019, 01:21 AM
My thoughts are inside the waistband a very small 380 like an LCP is a poor choice. There is little to grab hold of, it wants to sink inside your waistband to such a degree that you have to slap the gun in the butt before drawing it to get enough handle exposed to grab it.

In other words, the small size is a drawback to employment. If you cannot virtually invisibly hide a Shield or Glock 43 or EC9s or similar sized pistol inside the waistband in an untucked T shirt you have a bad holster and need to get one with a concealment wing. Many offer such a feature. I have gone Kydex with my plastic pistols.

For pocket carriers, though, a small 380 is fine. Tight jeans not so much. Since I see no point in a 380 unless it is small an LCP or LCP 2 is more my preference. Mine have been reliable and the LCP 2 trigger is decent. There are relatively few situations it is carried compared to pistol like those mentioned in the second paragraph. And even those are only warm to very warm weather guns.

From at least late September through May it is a compact or full size double stack all the time for me, as when I can comfortably carry a bigger gun I make sure I do.

I know you did not ask for a novel, but at one point I also decided I needed a 380. After getting some I realized I did not need it very often. Whenever I do carry it I mostly realize I want to carry something else, and something a little bigger is way better when it comes to using it and really the concealability issue is not an issue for waistband carry with such a gun.

If you are a waistband carrier and not a pocket guy I would pass on a 380.

T_McD
02-23-2019, 01:24 AM
If your willing to get a .380, I don’t see the point for anything bigger than a pocket pistol.

Bigslug
02-23-2019, 01:29 AM
I like the Glock 42, with the caveat that if you don't want to carry in a holster, the Glock trigger system is not for you.

It's recoil-operated, not blowback, so it's very mild to shoot - unlike a PPK or Sig 230.

It's got more sight radius than the little-bitties like the LCP.

It's not an oversize brick like a Beretta 84

It doesn't have a pretty blue finish that will rust out and pit on you like my sentimental favorite Colt 1908..

Love Life
02-23-2019, 05:24 AM
Colt Mustang Lite.

JBinMN
02-23-2019, 07:34 AM
With the size of my hands, I prefer to carry a .38 sp. or a .357 snubnose for CC, when I am not carrying a full size 9mm or 45ACP Govt..

Every .380 I have held that is "compact" just is not comfortable to me to hold, let alone shoot. I don't like handguns that I cannot get all of my fingers on. I don't like the feeling of the pinkie/small finger hanging out or under the grip. So, I will not buy one to use. Unless, I come across one that has enough of an extended magazine to not present such a uncomfortable grip for me.

So, to be honest, I will likely just stick with what I carry now.

Anyway.... That "comfort" level with the grip is something you may wish to keep in mind as you try to decide on a .380. As well, as stopping power, I might add.

Maybe good for a "backup", but I just can't see myself carrying one myself. I like the bigger calibers more.

YMMV of course, but that is my current opinion.

G'Luck! in your choices!
:)

Lloyd Smale
02-23-2019, 10:01 AM
not a big fan boy of ruger semi autos but have two lcpIIs that are kept loaded with gold dots in the glove box of my pickup and jeep. I can honestly say they've never missed a beat. The even feed 105 lee swcs without so much as a hiccup. Watch around and you can pick them up for around 200 bucks. At that price there the bargain of the century.

Earlwb
02-23-2019, 10:11 AM
I have been quite happy with my S&W Bodyguard. I use a pocket holster and just slip it into a pocket. it makes a great summer concealed carry gun for when you are wearing shorts and a T shirt. The gun itself has been very reliable, no misfeeds. it just works all the time. The laser may not be worth the extra money. Although the laser works Ok, it tends to be a indoor item as the bright daylight sun drowns it out. Also the laser batteries tend to drain down over time. So you need to replace the batteries from time to time. But then maybe the laser will deter someone from doing violence if they see the red spot on them. Thus you may not have to shoot them.

Oh yeah, I read somewhere that Walther may be bringing out the PPK in .380 soon. So that might be a really nice povket gun to get when they get out to the stores to buy.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-23-2019, 10:16 AM
This would be my pick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W4AVpxvGgg

lotech
02-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Walther PPK/S. Accurate, feed reliably, they're made of steel, and have resale and trade value.

tazman
02-23-2019, 10:57 AM
With the size of my hands, I prefer to carry a .38 sp. or a .357 snubnose for CC, when I am not carrying a full size 9mm or 45ACP Govt..

Every .380 I have held that is "compact" just is not comfortable to me to hold, let alone shoot. I don't like handguns that I cannot get all of my fingers on. I don't like the feeling of the pinkie/small finger hanging out or under the grip. So, I will not buy one to use. Unless, I come across one that has enough of an extended magazine to not present such a uncomfortable grip for me.

So, to be honest, I will likely just stick with what I carry now.

Anyway.... That "comfort" level with the grip is something you may wish to keep in mind as you try to decide on a .380. As well, as stopping power, I might add.

Maybe good for a "backup", but I just can't see myself carrying one myself. I like the bigger calibers more.

YMMV of course, but that is my current opinion.

G'Luck! in your choices!
:)

I am in the same boat with the grip issues and small guns.
If you want a small gun, why not get one in a 9mm. They are very nearly the same size and the performance of a 9mm far exceeds that of a 380.

Harter66
02-23-2019, 01:09 PM
A picture worth 1000 words ?

This is the blue ice LCP overlaid on a G42 .
Both 6+1 . The Glock is much more shooting for shooting friendly than the LCP . For the intended use it doesn't matter I guess . I had in my possession for a while a PPK SS 380 that I really liked . It was about half way between the 2 and slightly heavier , being all SS , than the Glock .

The LCP was purchased new for the princely some of $219 otd .
Some $90 less than the G42 the trade off is mag prices .
I've thought about it some and any of these 3 are great choices that come down your hand and how much weight you want to carry .

rmcc
02-23-2019, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys for all your replies. You brought up some points I had not thought of. Think I will stick with my S&W 60.

ReloaderFred
02-23-2019, 01:18 PM
My wife and I both carry the Sig P238. Her's is the dehorned model and mine isn't, but either one will fit in the back pocket of Duluth jeans. They're easy to shoot, accurate and have the same controls as the 1911. Colt Mustang magazines fit, and they're less expensive than Sig magazines. They also come standard with night sights, which is a plus.

Hope this helps.

Fred

lotech
02-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys for all your replies. You brought up some points I had not thought of. Think I will stick with my S&W 60.

Very good decision.

rfd
02-23-2019, 01:58 PM
i had the s&w 60 and it was fine 'cept for the weight ... and the hammer. now i'm after a 642 pro. it's all personal, pick what works and fits best. i prefer a revolver's advantages, too.

budman5
02-23-2019, 04:47 PM
Second for the 42. It's comfortable to shoot for pleasure...

Boogieman
02-23-2019, 07:04 PM
I like a PPK in 380, mine was 100% reliable and accurate. Now that small 9mms are being made My choice would be a Springfield
SDE if I wanted a auto. My PPK became a Ruger SP101 for warm weather use.

wv109323
02-23-2019, 07:45 PM
I have looked at the small 380 just because they can be carried in a front pocket. Just put it in the pocket and go. Of the present models I like the Ruger lcp ll. Also my wife can operate the slide with her small weak hands so it can double as a nightstand gun for her.

cwlongshot
02-23-2019, 09:03 PM
My choice was a Glock 42.

I like it allot, its light accurate and has proven 100% with everything from my handload LEE 95g Lead to ARX polly bullets to 100g Full Jacketed.

I would like to shoot a Taurus Curve or Spectrum and both where looked at along with the LCPII & MP S&W. Glock was best feeling and most fermilular.

My suggestion is to try and shoot everything that you like. Utube is a help if you trust the review”er”.

CW

FergusonTO35
02-23-2019, 09:35 PM
If you want a .380 that is built to big gun standards and can handle any load on the planet for this cartridge with ease, Glock 42 all the way. I love mine and carry it more than anything else. I have fed it 9mm Makarov equivalent loads and it ate 'em right up with fair accuracy.

Close second: Kimber Micro/Sig 238/Colt Mustang. Perfect compromise between size and shootability. Honestly I find my Micro is just as easy to conceal as the LCP it replaced.

The .380 is a very boolit friendly round, the Lee 356-102-2R is my fave for both these guns.

Bmi48219
02-23-2019, 10:43 PM
Surprised no one mentioned the S&W 380 EZ. Not a big 380 fan myself but it is big enough to hold, decent capacity, and easily concealed. After trying it out, I bought on for my daughter. Figured if she didn't like it the other daughter would or, worse case, it works for me.

35remington
02-23-2019, 10:58 PM
Great niche gun for those that need it. Weak of grip, smaller, old folks, women etc.

But for those that do not, many 9mms are the same size or smaller and twice as powerful....which is why it is a niche gun.

Outpost75
02-23-2019, 11:01 PM
Over the years I have been mostly a wheelgun guy, and when I decided to get a semi-auto pocket pistol I consulted retired FBI and DEA firearms instructors who I had known at Quantico, and they advised me that the German criteria made the most sense, that being a pistol which could be carried safely with the chamber loaded, and which could be drawn and fired immediately with trigger stroke only, without requiring any manipulation of an external safety.

Because I was used to DA revolvers, I elected not to have to retrain myself to use something with a Glock-type trigger, but wanted a DA trigger pull for the first shot LIKE A REVOLVER!!!!

I have two SIG P230 pistols in .380 and also one in .32 ACP, because I found a good deal on one, I liked the .32 for other purposes, so having one made sense. It replaced a Walther PP which I sold.

I also have two of the original model DAO Ruger LCPs, which I like a great deal and prefer to the LCPII.

The SIG P230s were popular (1980s-2000) as backup to carry in a pocket sewn inside the body armor back in the day. These days I carry mine in an El Paso Saddlery Pocket Max. Also have Pocket Max holster for the Ruger LCP.

Feel very adequately armed with any two of these and a spare mag for each.

While I still have my Beretta M1934, it gets packed in my travel bag with extra mag as a spare gun and not as a primary, because it needs to be carried with empty chamber, Israeli carry.

No single-action auto pistol is first choice. If not a .38/.357 snub, the P230 is most accurate .380 I have owned, 100% reliable and very concealable.

Cary Gunn
03-14-2019, 06:38 AM
Your fondness for the Ruger LCP surprises me, Outpost. I had one of the early versions of that grouchy little gun, and I found the trigger so awful as to make the pistol virtually unshootable for me.

I next tried the Kahr CW380, a pistol about the same size and weight as the little Ruger, but with a trigger-pull made in heaven. The Kahr is such a sweet and easy shooter that I've had no trouble holding "rabbit-head" sized groups at 12 to 15 yards. With the old Ruger, I would have had trouble hitting a rabbit hutch at that distance.

The Kahr .380 rides invisibly in my hip pocket, tucked safely in a wallet-type holster I made from "poor man's Kydex," thin-walled PVC drainage pipe.

I also sometimes carry a Kahr CM9, in 9/19 caliber, but it's just a little too big to hide in the back pocket of my jeans. It rides and hides fine, though, in a DeSantis holster in the front pocket of slightly "looser" pants.

I know that Ruger, over the years, made two or three attempts to improve the atrocious trigger-pull of their original LCP offering, and I'm guessing you must have one of the later versions with the updated trigger improvements. Of course the new model, the LCPII, has a completely different trigger system.

I haven't tried any of the newer Ruger offerings and -- after falling in love the with Kahrs -- I doubt I ever will.

Despite our differences, though, I suspect we're both pretty well-armed.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Handloader109
03-14-2019, 08:04 AM
I sprung for a kimber micro 9 the other day. Laser grips make it a bit wider than std model, but it goes invisible way easier than my ppq or even a ccp which I had thought was small enough but isnt. 7 round mag give me just enough to hold with pinkie. It is snappy. But accurate. Nice pocket gun.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RED BEAR
03-14-2019, 09:14 AM
I really like the kel tec. It goes bang every time i pull the trigger without fail. It is accurate enough ( it is definitely not going to put them in a single hole). At 8.3 oz you hardly know its there . If you use the extended magazine there is plenty of grip to hold on to. I must admit i have poo pooed on these guns for years , like most i had never had one. Got one at a price i couldn't resist it certainly was an eye opening experience. When i say dependable i admit i don't shoot it like some others i own but it has had in exess of 5000 rounds and not a single malfunction with anything i want to run through it. I own more expensive 380's but not more dependable.

EMC45
03-15-2019, 10:32 AM
I really like the kel tec. It goes bang every time i pull the trigger without fail. It is accurate enough ( it is definitely not going to put them in a single hole). At 8.3 oz you hardly know its there . If you use the extended magazine there is plenty of grip to hold on to. I must admit i have poo pooed on these guns for years , like most i had never had one. Got one at a price i couldn't resist it certainly was an eye opening experience. When i say dependable i admit i don't shoot it like some others i own but it has had in exess of 5000 rounds and not a single malfunction with anything i want to run through it. I own more expensive 380's but not more dependable.

This has been my experience as well.

Shuz
03-15-2019, 10:49 AM

I love the Kel-Tec .380, I have two of them. Lightest .380 I've found, and oh so dependable!

jeepvet
03-15-2019, 06:05 PM
I had one of the first Kel Tec P3AT's and liked it fine except that it was hard to hang onto after you pull the trigger. When my son went to college he took it and I got a Ruger LCP (Little Cute Pistol). I could not tell any difference in the two. But I later found the Bersa Thunder 380. It is quite a bit heavier and larger but still easily concealed in a pouch on my side. I use a pouch from Big Iron (bigironchl.com/) but a sneaky Pete will work too. because of the larger size and bit more weight it is much easier to shoot and has been very reliable. I still carry my Little Cute Pistol when I wear shorts so that I don't have them hanging around my ankles. I have a Big Iron pouch for it too.

Just some thoughts.

gwpercle
03-15-2019, 06:13 PM
1.) Walther PPK

2.) Walther PPK/S

Number 1 is my choice .

Petrol & Powder
03-16-2019, 09:17 AM
In today's world of compact pistols chambered in 9mm Luger, I no longer recommend pistols in .380 Auto. That's not saying the .380 is bad but it is saying that we now have more choices.

Back when the .380 Auto ruled the roost of pocket pistols, I trained with several and instructed others on the use of their pistols.
IMO, the overall best of the bunch was the SIG P230:

It had the best grip (albeit a bit large for the class of pistol)
It had the best sights out of the box
The pistol was fairly snag resistant and it pointed well.
They are very reliable and accurate pistols.

Additionally, the SIG de-cocker made the gun safe to carry but instantly ready to shoot. You couldn't put the pistol into a mode where it wouldn't fire. (assuming there was a live round in the chamber).

The SIG P230 (and later P232) had a heel type magazine release which is actually a plus on that type of pistol. There was little chance of the magazine becoming unseated during carry unless the user intentionally removed the magazine. You don't need a fast magazine change on a gun like that but you REALLY need that one mag to be securely locked in the gun when it comes time to use that pistol.

The runner up is the Walther PPK. The PPK is a little bit easier to conceal than a P230, so if that's a factor the PPK may be an option.

My experience with the Interarms Walthers was you either got a great one or you got a so-so one. I had a couple that shot extremely well and I saw others that were equally as good. I've also seen brand new Walthers (made during the Interarms period) that were not as accurate as some or needed work to reliably function. My theory was that the tooling wear effected the manufacturing and the factory let a few guns out that were not quite up to spec before they replaced worn out tooling. That's just speculation on my part.

Along those lines: I never saw a bad SIG P230 and I personally think the SIG had a better trigger than the Walther.

rfd
03-16-2019, 09:21 AM
i agree with P&P - there are too many excellent 9mm choices these dayze that will render a better and more cost effective pistol that can be loaded for comparative 380auto recoil.

Petrol & Powder
03-16-2019, 09:41 AM
And I also must agree with Outpost75 that no single action auto pistol is a first choice for that class of pistol and intended use.

Lloyd Smale
03-17-2019, 09:24 AM
Ill say this. The lcp 2 is in a different world then the original lcp. I owned two of the old ones. Got the first new one and sold the two old ones and bought two more 2's the next day. It doesn't have a match 1911 trigger but not a single gun mentioned here does. It has a useable trigger (the originals did too as long as your could stick your gun into someones belly) and last round bolt hold open which to me is just as important. Now is it a glock 42? Not a chance. Ive got a 43 and I sure wouldn't trade it for a lcp. But that said you can buy 2 1/2-3 lcps for what I paid for my lcp 2. 200 bucks for a gun that actually runs every time is something that was unheard of even 10 years ago. Heck my lcps run just as well as my 43 and so does the wifes lc9. as a matter of fact the lcps and the lc9 will even run lee 105s and my 43 wont. Im sure not a ruger black gun cheerleader. As a matter of fact ive been on the other side of some pretty heated arguments here on ruger semi auto pistols but other then trigger pulls on the early lcps and lc9s I don't think ive seen anyone find them to not go bang every time the trigger is pulled.
Your fondness for the Ruger LCP surprises me, Outpost. I had one of the early versions of that grouchy little gun, and I found the trigger so awful as to make the pistol virtually unshootable for me.

I next tried the Kahr CW380, a pistol about the same size and weight as the little Ruger, but with a trigger-pull made in heaven. The Kahr is such a sweet and easy shooter that I've had no trouble holding "rabbit-head" sized groups at 12 to 15 yards. With the old Ruger, I would have had trouble hitting a rabbit hutch at that distance.

The Kahr .380 rides invisibly in my hip pocket, tucked safely in a wallet-type holster I made from "poor man's Kydex," thin-walled PVC drainage pipe.

I also sometimes carry a Kahr CM9, in 9/19 caliber, but it's just a little too big to hide in the back pocket of my jeans. It rides and hides fine, though, in a DeSantis holster in the front pocket of slightly "looser" pants.

I know that Ruger, over the years, made two or three attempts to improve the atrocious trigger-pull of their original LCP offering, and I'm guessing you must have one of the later versions with the updated trigger improvements. Of course the new model, the LCPII, has a completely different trigger system.

I haven't tried any of the newer Ruger offerings and -- after falling in love the with Kahrs -- I doubt I ever will.

Despite our differences, though, I suspect we're both pretty well-armed.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

jmort
03-17-2019, 10:07 AM
You are only wrong about one thing.
I Heart LCP IIs and LC9s Pros

jimb16
03-17-2019, 09:07 PM
I've got 2, both Colts. One is the Gov. .380 and the other is a Mustang. While both are single action, both can be manually cocked for second strike capability in an emergency. Both are extremely reliable and very accurate out to 30 or so yards. I've had other .380s, but have settled on the Colts.

Ragnarok
03-17-2019, 09:32 PM
I have experience with a Walther PPK/S, a Kahr P30, and a Glock 42 as far as .380 pistols go. The Walther is cool...but heavy large and has more recoil(enough that my wife hated it because of the kick). My wife has a Kahr P380 and likes it...my beef with the little Kahr is that it's about to small for me and I have a tendency to lock the slide back with ammo still in the mag(my thumb hits the slide stop lever during recoil) plus the mags are a pain to get locked into the gun. I like the Glock 42 because it's enough bigger than the Kahr I don't 'thumb the slide stop during recoil(stop doesn't stick out near as far)...works just like any other Glock and I get along good with Glocks...mags plug in without having to really work at it...as accurate as any other .380 pistol large or small.

There is a video on youtube where three ladies get to trial several .380 pistols and the winners were the G42 and Colt Mustang. Some of the guns were mediocre at best in the hands of the three ladies...it's a video worth watching.

jhammer
03-18-2019, 06:53 PM
I love my Glock 42. It’s become my favorite gun when bumming around the woods with my dog. It’s small, light, easy to shoot and it won’t make my ears (or the dogs) ring if I have to use it without hearing protection.

I’ve been a revolver guy for years, but this little thing has really opened my eyes. It’s not my first plastic auto, but it’s the only one I really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAlofPa.
03-18-2019, 08:02 PM
I like my little Kel-tec pf9 for deep concealment. I load my rounds with the starting data of titegroup. Makes the gun very manageable and fun to shoot. I hated it at first with factory ammo. Out of my 380's i like my Walther pk380 the most. Although my RIA 380 1911 is catching up as i get used to it. I like my bersa thunder alot too. I have a Saturday night special 380 stashed at my desk for a break in. Just a little Jimenez JA380. I have a Hi-point 380 too for range play.

fecmech
03-20-2019, 09:35 PM
Keltec P3AT for me. I personally think it and the Ruger LCP are the only "real" pocket pistols. All the baby 9's and many of the mentioned .380s IMO are holster guns. If it needs a holster than you have to think about the ability to conceal it etc. I'm 5'7" and the KT rides in my front jean pocket behind my wallet.

Drm50
03-20-2019, 10:23 PM
Ruger LCP is hard to beat. Dependable, small & light and reasonably priced. There is no doubt more expensive choices that are a lot nicer guns, but they don't work any better. I hate all plastic pistols but vouch for LCP.

Outpost75
03-20-2019, 11:03 PM
Your fondness for the Ruger LCP surprises me, Outpost. I had one of the early versions of that grouchy little gun, and I found the trigger so awful as to make the pistol virtually unshootable for me... ...I know that Ruger, over the years, made two or three attempts to improve the atrocious trigger-pull of their original LCP offering, and I'm guessing you must have one of the later versions with the updated trigger improvements. Of course the new model, the LCPII, has a completely different trigger system...Despite our differences, though, I suspect we're both pretty well-armed.Happy trails, -- Cary Gunn --

My original model LCPs are not the first year production. As my flight instructor at NAS Whiting Field, Pensacola, FL told me years ago, "never fly the "A" model of anything!" Also, I was in another life an engineer at Ruger, Newport, NH and I know the glitches to be fixed and how to do them. I was an instructor at the police armorers school, although LCP was only a design concept when I left the company...

As an old wheelgun guy, I dislike the Glock trigger.

Baltimoreed
03-20-2019, 11:03 PM
I also have been using a used Colt Mustang for a while for my edc. I did have to do some work to it, replaced recoil springs, nice stag grips and tinkered with the slide lock but it’s 100% now. Use Critical Defense ammo. Previously I carried a scandium J frame.

poppy42
03-20-2019, 11:23 PM
If I were you I would check out a kel-Tex pf9. In my book it’s a great little gun. I’ve put close to 5000 rounds through mine with zero issues And it’s a 9 not a 380 and surprisingly accurate for a small gun. If you’re dead set on a 380 or something smaller than a 9 then check out a p3at. Or maybe a p32. I love my pf9. It’s my normal summer and sometimes winter ( when attire preclude a full size 9) edc. Good luck in your search. I hope I was helpful.

Texas by God
03-20-2019, 11:37 PM
FN model 1910. Ok, I woke up. Ruger LCP with DA not Glockish trigger would suit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ewlyon
03-21-2019, 07:41 PM
Tried the LCP, hated it. Have a BDA which is nice but not an efficient carry gun. My sig p238 on the other hand rides in my pocket everyday and shoots like a dream. Low recoil, actual sights make accurate hits very easy, and has been insanely reliable with a variety of hollowpoints and cheap target ammo. I can easily ring steel with it at 95yds and there are enhancements that allow fitting an extra round in the mags so I can have 8rds of 380 in my pocket gun even with the smallest mag. I recommend it or one of the similar guns from Kimber to everyone who asks about guns of this size.

EMC45
03-21-2019, 09:40 PM
Just tore the P3AT down to pins and springs. Pretty grimy in there. I cleaned it and oiled it all back up and put it all back together.

EMC45
03-23-2019, 02:39 PM
After the rebuild and oiling I ran a box of 102gr. Lee bullets through it without a problem.

7000al
03-29-2019, 12:00 AM
I have 2 LCP gen 2. It fits easily in any front pocket in a Desantis pocket holster. I wish I could find the real estate inside my waist band that you guys seem to! Very reliable and the price is hard to beat. I feel sure i will buy a LCP 2 before long for the much better trigger. It seems to me that the bottom line is that you need a gun that you actually will carry. Small is what i will carry. It is hidden in my front pocket everywhere but work. If the gun is uncomfortable it will be somewhere else when you need it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Lefty Red
04-05-2019, 07:33 AM
The Kel Tec 3AT are bullet proof, I washed one up in the washer twice now! “Wonder what that is bouncing around in the dryer?” Broke it down, dried it out with the hairdryer, and test fired it. Works every time. I DID THIS TWICE! I carried it in my left hand jeans pocket with a clip. Still carry it when I don’t carry the BGs. I will phase it out due to it being TOO SMALL for me. No Hogue Beavertail Grip fits it without modifying a LCP one. Have ruined two trying to modify one. Would be cheaper to just the new LCP with the higher sights. LOL

Kimber Micro 380 TLE, beautiful firearm. I think it feels better in my hand than the SIGs or the 911, which are both excellent pistols too. But it matches my Ultra II TLE and I wear it when the boys get together for a day of showing off and gun shop running. It has night sights and rounded and smooth, which is way I prefer it over the sharp edges on the 911 and 238. FYI, you can get the SIG’s SAS model and even the more expensive CDP from Kimber and it’s the “melted” treatment for a really smooth draw from the pocket. I carry my Micro in a Desantis Nemesis. Even with the 7rd magazine, it’s an easy pocket draw for me.

SW Bodyguard and M&P380 Bodyguard are my daily carry. I put a Hogue Beavertail Grip on them. It adds a little girth, but no weight which I view more important for pocket carry. They are my pick, not perfect, but I can hit the A Zone out to 15 yards.

Glock 42 is what I always suggest to someone. It’s a great pistol, soft shooter, and great accuracy. Most say it shoots as good as a full size Glock, and I have to agree. I can hit a head size target out to 25 yards with it. You can upgrade your sights, it handles the heaviest loads (yeah, I know), and it’s (now!) very reliable. The trigger has finally gotten decent and 03 versions of magazines keeps it feeding flawlessly. I don’t carry one because it’s too big for pocket carry for me, or I should say too heavy. I can carry it in a Desantis Superfly or Nemeses or Vedder Pocket Holster, when wearing cargo pants. I would carry it on the belt, but I need a Hogue Beavertail Grip for it to fit my hands. With the way my hands are going, I might end back up to the G42 in a few years.

I will be the odd man out and say I do not like the LCPII. Even with a Hogue Beavertail Grip (see a pattern here), I just don’t like the way it felt. I will say I have yet to hear of anyone’s having any problems. And a lot of people I know carry it. I think it’s the sights on the BG that I like over the LCPII’s.

I think weight it the most important factor in if a pocket pistol is going to work for me. The LCR is very light and a tad bulky, and I use to carry it a lot. Very comfortable but I could not shoot it accurately. So even by adding a Hogue or Pachmayr slip on grip, or grip tape like Talon or others, it will help you shoot better and more comfortable in your hand if you need it.

Be safe,
Lefty

Sig556r
04-05-2019, 07:38 AM
+1 for the LCP1 for me, always in my left back pocket...

osteodoc08
04-05-2019, 07:41 AM
The Sig P238 I had for a while was an easy to carry and fun to shoot pistol. It went down the road when I figured out I could carry a Shield9 or even my XDS45 with minimal difference.

Uncle Grinch
04-05-2019, 09:57 AM
I went from a Colt Officer 45 to a Ruger LCP2 and after a few weeks, I finally said NO! That thing was too plasticy (if that’s a word). We back to my LGS and came home with a Sig P320 9mm Subcompact. It’s little bigger than I needed for carry, but I’ve got 13 rounds and it’s fairly light for its size.

Now my some picked up a Kahr CW380 and it is really nice. It’s got enough weight and is small and Hickock45 seems to say good things about it. May have to start looking for one of these!

RED BEAR
04-05-2019, 10:23 AM
I see a lot of people are down on the 380 for defence and i don't understand. The 380 has been used for defence for well over 100 years now and has went to war. There is a trend to have to be bigger and bigger and big today is just not big enough tomorrow. If you do your job the 380 will definitely do its job. I feel perfectly comfortable carrying a 32 or 25. Its not what you shoot its were you shoot.

FergusonTO35
04-05-2019, 04:17 PM
I see a lot of people are down on the 380 for defence and i don't understand. The 380 has been used for defence for well over 100 years now and has went to war. There is a trend to have to be bigger and bigger and big today is just not big enough tomorrow. If you do your job the 380 will definitely do its job. I feel perfectly comfortable carrying a 32 or 25. Its not what you shoot its were you shoot.

This 100%. Shot placement is king, penetration is queen. I can shoot my Glock 42 as well as any other handgun I have ever tried, love that pistol!

EMC45
04-05-2019, 06:29 PM

I agree. A couple in the belly button/windpipe/eye sockets and you have a desired affect.

MOA
04-21-2019, 10:09 AM
Got a Browning 10/71 back in 1972 but lost it in a burglary in 75. I never got rid of the second magazine all these years. Came across another one recently an said why not, now I can put that second mag to good use after 44 years. Many have never heard of this model. It is a blow-back operated action, single stack, small and slim well made pistol. I plan on removing the front and rear sights and putting some quality nite sights that will not slow or hamper a cc draw.240191240192

Will practice with my 115gr RCBS cast using 700X. But carry with gold dots.

Texas by God
04-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Got a Browning 10/71 back in 1972 but lost it in a burglary in 75. I never got rid of the second magazine all these years. Came across another one recently an said why not, now I can put that second mag to good use after 44 years. Many have never heard of this model. It is a blow-back operated action, single stack, small and slim well made pistol. I plan on removing the front and rear sights and putting some quality nite sights that will not slow or hamper a cc draw.240191240192

Will practice with my 115gr RCBS cast using 700X. But carry with gold dots.
That one is the final incarnation of the FN 1910 that I mentioned earlier. That is a Target .380 if there ever was one. Very nice!

MOA
04-21-2019, 10:34 AM
That one is the final incarnation of the FN 1910 that I mentioned earlier. That is a Target .380 if there ever was one. Very nice!

Yes. Thus was the first handgun I owned. I was pretty ticked when it was stolen, since I felt sure who did it, but had no proof so could not get a search warrant issued. I think I kept the second mag as a reminder about human nature an even seemly nice people can be crooks. This model fit my hand like a glove, and prevented me being robbed in a Sears parking lot in 1973 in Atlanta.

Murphy
04-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Given your intent for the gun, don't over look the Kahr CW380. Small, accurate and well built for your stated purpose. While a bit more expense wise compared to the P3AT or Ruger LCP's, it's well worth it.

Good luck on your search.

Murphy

Petrol & Powder
04-21-2019, 11:38 AM
So this is an interesting thread.

I still stand by my view that the compact 9mm pistols in today's market have replaced the niche that the 380 pistols occupied about 25 years ago.

I do find it interesting that the posters on this thread break down into two main groups: Those that like the old school steel pistols and those that lean towards the new ultra lightweight polymer framed pistols.

There's no doubt that in today's world one can obtain a small, lightweight pistol chambered in 380 auto and that wasn't an option 30 years ago.

Years ago I went all over the map in search of a CCW and I went down just about every path one could go down (including 380 pistols, albeit before the polymer ones had been invented).

I eventually landed back on the snubnose DA revolver and decided to just settle down and marry that concept. I'm not claiming that's the best option but I do think one needs to stop jumping around like a jack rabbit and settle somewhere. There comes a point where training is far more important than the actual tool one trains with.

I think if I had started that endeavor just a few years later, I would have landed in the polymer framed pistol camp and not the DA snubnose camp. Hard to say but I think the beginning of that quest has a lot of influence on where that journey ends.

onelight
04-21-2019, 12:50 PM
So this is an interesting thread.

I still stand by my view that the compact 9mm pistols in today's market have replaced the niche that the 380 pistols occupied about 25 years ago.

I do find it interesting that the posters on this thread break down into two main groups: Those that like the old school steel pistols and those that lean towards the new ultra lightweight polymer framed pistols.

There's no doubt that in today's world one can obtain a small, lightweight pistol chambered in 380 auto and that wasn't an option 30 years ago.

Years ago I went all over the map in search of a CCW and I went down just about every path one could go down (including 380 pistols, albeit before the polymer ones had been invented).

I eventually landed back on the snubnose DA revolver and decided to just settle down and marry that concept. I'm not claiming that's the best option but I do think one needs to stop jumping around like a jack rabbit and settle somewhere. There comes a point where training is far more important than the actual tool one trains with.

I think if I had started that endeavor just a few years later, I would have landed in the polymer framed pistol camp and not the DA snubnose camp. Hard to say but I think the beginning of that quest has a lot of influence on where that journey ends.
I Think you stopped in a wise place.
In my experience the smallest autos are most likely to malfunction of any guns I have and they are difficult for me to shoot as well , I like them and have several but are my last choice to carry , the five shot revolvers in my experience are much more reliable but still not easy to shoot well.
So I have adapted to 3 1/2 to 4” autos and revolvers. Nice to have choices

M-Tecs
04-21-2019, 01:01 PM
Good read

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/why-smith-wesson-mp-bodyguard-380-tough-beat-53387

onelight
04-21-2019, 01:29 PM
Lasers and reflex improve my shooting no doubt I get to shoot both a great deal , for me it’s a personal choice I don’t want to depend on any thing that runs on batteries for my carry guns . If my eyes get bad enough I may have to but not there yet. But it’s nice to know it’s an option.

MOA
04-21-2019, 01:32 PM
True as far as the tools change with technology. I'm old school by virtue of my age and era. In 1971 there were not many choices of quality small reliable defense capable handguns that were not based on revolver design. Most of the small automatics were of dimutive caliber and ammunition produced by manufacturers was not suited for much more than targets at the range. All that has changed since Glock introduced the first polymer composite dominant material handgun of commercial success. That was the fork in the road for all applications of designed use. I still use a glock 26 for cc at times, but I would not feel under gunned with a 7 or 8 round capacity thin light weight auto loaded with glaser or gold dots either. If you end up needing more than 8 rounds you need to be wearing a good pair of sneakers.

fecmech
04-21-2019, 01:55 PM
The author wrote the Bodyguard .380 was the lightest evidently can't read specs. The Keltec P3AT is 8 oz. and the Ruger LCP is about 9 oz. The Bodyguard at 12 oz. is not the lightest .380.

gnostic
04-21-2019, 05:01 PM
The PPK shoots where I'm looking and hasn't FTF or eject with a hot HP handload once in 30 years. The trigger is heavy but crisp and I like feeling the loaded chamber indicator with my thumb nail in the dark.You'll love the way this pistol comes out of your pocket and points....

Greg S
04-21-2019, 05:16 PM
380 I consider a pocket gun for times when you need to go gray. My pick has been the Colt Mustang, blued steel frame and a stainless light. Yes, x 2.

gwpercle
04-21-2019, 05:20 PM
Walther PPK
Hard to go wrong with a Walther... they are sweet !

FergusonTO35
04-22-2019, 09:05 AM
I examined a Bodyguard .380 at the fun store the other day. Nice little gun, seems very well made for the price. Unfortunately, the trigger is a no-go for me, even though I shoot a double action revolver pretty good. When the hammer is at rest, the trigger seems to require about 40 pounds of force to get moving. Once that is done, it's not bad. The break is all the way in the back. That by itself is not bad, except I have big fingers and it is conceivable that I would not be able to get it all the way back with less than perfect trigger finger position.

RED BEAR
04-22-2019, 02:57 PM
I used to absolutely hate plastic guns untill i bought a kel tec and fell in love my favorite is the p32 only 6 oz i know only 2 oz lighter than 380. I have steel 380's but i will put the little kel tec up against any steel gun for the intended purpose close range self-defense. I also used to think revolvers were fool proof. Bought two charter arms one in 41 mag and one in 32hr ( for wife). Imagine my surprise when at the range and pulled the trigger and nothing happened pulled again nothing on third pull it went off but one or two rounds per cylinder refused to fire and not same place in cylinder eather. Sent the 32 back company repaired it and sent it back. Went to range and on fourth cylinder the transfer bar broke in half. Sent it back and ordered wife a sw 642 that was actually cheaper than the charter arms and it workes perfectly. Now that i got the 32 back it seems to work correctly but on first time back barrel was replaced now point of impact is about 2 ft left at 25 yrds. The 41 mag went back for ftf got it back and seems to be fixed and aim is only about 1 or 2 inches left at 25 yrds no problem grouping on edge of bulls eye. I just post this so people don't think revolvers are fool proof.

mjwcaster
04-22-2019, 04:40 PM
I tell my students to stick with 9mm unless they just have to have the tiniest gun possible.
More power and significantly cheaper ammo with greater availability.
That said I have carried a 380 pocket gun in a sticky holster since concealed carry came to Illinois.
I am lazy and it is just so easy to drop the holstered gun in a pocket of anything I am wearing, especially shorts in summer.
The gun you have with you beats the one left in the night stand.

I am a big guy and can comfortably carry a full size double stack 45 if I dress for it and have on many occasions when I felt it necessary.
But the pocket gun is so much easier and I don’t even notice it while crawling around working on cars, it is thinner than my wallet.

I have 2 LCPs
They are horrible little guns that are perfect for deep concealment.
I love/hate mine. They can be fairly accurate pistols but are hard and uncomfortable to shoot.
My targets are normally clay pigeons at ~20 yards and I can generally break 1 or 2 every magazine (6-7 rounds)
When I am in practice, it takes me a lot of effort to get that good with them.

1 gen 2 custom, probably over 5k rounds no problems

1 LCP II. Slide flew off after 5 rounds one day, around the 1200 round count.
Got it back from Ruger, they replaced the barrel. I shot a few hundred rounds through it and it now sits in the safe.
I don’t know if I will ever trust it. If it had failed when new stuff happens, but after 1200 rounds?
How do you test it for reliability?
It definitely passed my 500 requirement before carrying.
And due to circumstances I am sure it was assembled properly with the takedown pin in place.
It had been shot on at least 2 occasions and inspected daily since the last time it was taken apart a few weeks prior.

I was aware of the take down pin backing out issue before I ever bought my first LCP so it is part of my daily inspection routine, before pocketing the gun
remove from holster,
check for loaded chamber,
check full magazine,
insure in battery and
inspect take down pin.

Every time I pocket the gun so sometimes multiple times per day.

They fill a niche, but are not my first recommendation.
Carry a larger gun if at all possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35
04-23-2019, 10:05 AM
These days, I think that heavy for caliber/high sectional density is the way to go for all low pressure cartridges.

Drm50
04-23-2019, 10:23 AM
My bro has 10/71 Browning with the adj sights. I've had many 380s and the Browning is most accurate I've ever shot. Probably because of sights and not a factor as a CCW gun. The other classics like PP, Beretta, ect would be as accurate if they had better sights. I have found even with the new generation 380s I do better point shooting them than using sights.