PDA

View Full Version : .58 Cal T/C Barrel ?

Buzzard II
02-22-2019, 04:44 PM
Is anyone else out there wanting a GM .58 drop in T/C barrel for a Renegade? I sent TOTW a short letter asking them to build such a barrel. The return letter stated the breach plug is not currently in production so no barrels. OK, so start building a 1 inch breach plug and .58 cal. drop in GM barrel. That's the way I see it, anyone else? Thanks!
Bob

swamp
02-22-2019, 04:59 PM
I think a 58 barrel for the Renegade is a good idea.
swamp

Edward
02-22-2019, 05:27 PM
By a TC Hawken/Renegade barrel cheap (50 cal) send it To Bob Hoyt and there you go 58cal with whatever twist you want (fast reasonable) and go up to .62 /I did /Ed

LAGS
02-22-2019, 10:03 PM
I have a .56 cal TC Smooth Bore Renagade that I am thinking about having Rifled to .58 by Hoyt or even to .62 if the .56 wont work for .58

Boogieman
02-22-2019, 10:10 PM
How much does He charge to rebore a TC barrel?

waarp8nt
02-22-2019, 10:16 PM
While traveling through Tennessee last summer, my wife and I stopped by Dixie Gunworks. I picked up a GM 58 caliber T/C replacement barrel in the scratch and dent isle. It was new unfired condition, nearly complete except it did not have sights on it. $200 out the door. Let's just day I was happy!!!

The breech plugs are currently difficult to come by. The previous supplier cast them, but is overdue in supplying them to places like GM, Pecatonica, TOW and Oregon Barrels. I previous called around attempting to have a barrel built, but got lucky at Dixie Gunworks so I stopped calling around. If your serious about wanting one, Rice barrels are machining breech plugs. The plugs are a little more costly as they are machined and not cast like the previous supplier. You could always have Rice build you a barrel. Edwards Idea is good too, I spoke with Rayl in regards to having a T/C barrel converted. He prefers to start with a 50 cal barrel.

Buzzard II
02-23-2019, 09:24 PM
While traveling through Tennessee last summer, my wife and I stopped by Dixie Gunworks. I picked up a GM 58 caliber T/C replacement barrel in the scratch and dent isle. It was new unfired condition, nearly complete except it did not have sights on it. $200 out the door. Let's just day I was happy!!!

The breech plugs are currently difficult to come by. The previous supplier cast them, but is overdue in supplying them to places like GM, Pecatonica, TOW and Oregon Barrels. I previous called around attempting to have a barrel built, but got lucky at Dixie Gunworks so I stopped calling around. If your serious about wanting one, Rice barrels are machining breech plugs. The plugs are a little more costly as they are machined and not cast like the previous supplier. You could always have Rice build you a barrel. Edwards Idea is good too, I spoke with Rayl in regards to having a T/C barrel converted. He prefers to start with a 50 cal barrel.

Good info, especially about the Rice barrel. Will look into that. Thanks.
Bob

Good Cheer
02-24-2019, 06:11 AM
.58 is kind of special for muzzleloading, there being a gazillion .58 caliber molds to play with.
Choose your rifling carefully. It's easy to have .58 barrels work very well with most everything (short round boolits and longer ones too!) and easier still to have them specialized into one thing only.

Buzzard II
02-24-2019, 11:21 AM
.58 is kind of special for muzzleloading, there being a gazillion .58 caliber molds to play with.
Choose your rifling carefully. It's easy to have .58 barrels work very well with most everything (short round boolits and longer ones too!) and easier still to have them specialized into one thing only.

Re-boring a T/C barrel to a round ball twist in .58 caliber is looking better and better.

Good Cheer
02-24-2019, 04:33 PM
Yo Buzzard,
The Renegade makes a nice flinter when enough metal is removed.
http://i.imgur.com/mQ5WlRz.mp4 (https://imgur.com/mQ5WlRz)

Buzzard II
02-25-2019, 09:52 AM
I found a nice .50 Renegade cap lock barrel. I'll be sending it to Bob Hoyt to open it up to .58 with a round ball twist. Thanks guys.
Bob

OverMax
02-26-2019, 12:15 PM
I don't know for sure but GM may still have 58 cal blanks that are rifled.
As far as a breech plug? There's always some FFL holder stripping down excellent condition T/C's for their parts to auction on EBay.
Than again I see little benefit in boring out decent T/c barrels to 58 cal so to satisfy a fleeting whim.
FYI: I definitely know a 54 cal w/factory twists will out shoot across the board "rings around a 58 no matter its twist."

Proud owner of:
T/c Renegade 54_ dedicated Maxi shooter_closet queen
" Hawken 54 _Fox Ridge custom shop_ Factory R-ball barrel so equipped.
" White Mtn carbine 54_ closet queen
" Thompson Big Bore 58_ closet queen
" Hawken 45_ My preferred woods totter. Two barrel option: G-M Stainless 1-28 or its Original Factory Barrel.
" Hawken 50 Flint_ 30 plus yr. closet queen.

Edward
02-26-2019, 12:25 PM
As far as a breech plug? There's always some FFL holder stripping down excellent condition T/C's for their parts to auction on EBay.
Than again I see little benefit in boring out decent T/c barrels to 58 cal so to satisfy a fleeting whim.
FYI: I definitely know a 54 cal w/factory twists will out shoot across the board "rings around a 58 no matter its twist."

Proud owner of:
" Hawken 45_ My preferred woods totter. Two barrel option: G-M Stainless 1-28 or its Original Factory Barrel.

Guess you haven"t shot many custom rebores (BOB HOYT comes to mind) in the exact bore/twist/crown and groove specified by buyer. IF I could not out shoot any of my TC barrels (for the mass consumers) I probably would not be sending Bob so many factory barrels . Or maybe shooting factory I wasn"t trying hard enough ,nope they just did not measure up to my specs
YMMV/Ed :bigsmyl2:

Buzzard II
02-26-2019, 10:59 PM

Proud owner of:

I started this post to get some info. The only info I got from you is that you're a legend in your own mind. Please keep your thoughts and writings to yourself.

DW475
02-26-2019, 11:15 PM
Personally, I would like to find a .58 cal drop in barrel for my Renegade or Hawken. I've only seen one T/C .58 big bore in the last month listed on another site but the starting price was $700.

Buzzard II
02-26-2019, 11:25 PM
Personally, I would like to find a .58 cal drop in barrel for my Renegade or Hawken. I've only seen one T/C .58 big bore in the last month listed on another site but the starting price was $700.

Exactly why I've decided to go for a barrel mod from Bob Hoyt. The barrel bore will be in a new condition vs. a used highly priced original. I will get a fresh bore in the choice of twist and twist design for my application. Thanks!

dk17hmr
02-27-2019, 12:24 AM
How much $$$ is a rebore?

Buzzard II
02-27-2019, 08:18 AM
I'll let you know how much Bob is now charging after I call him.

OverMax
03-01-2019, 03:08 AM
Say Edward Back at yaw feller: YMMV :bigsmyl2:
Nope have no experience shooting a Hoyt re-bore. I only write about my experiences.
My T/C factory 58 cal shooting P/B and a Renegade with & shooting the same.
54 cal plainly showed better 100 yrd groupings with 90 gr of Gorex and no doubt shot a further distance having some resemblance of a long range grouping. On the other hand my 58 beyond a 100. ~ "I should have hung a bed sheet out there! Where'ed ya go ball?
That is one primary reason why my Big Bore sit's in the safe year after year and I highly doubt it will be toted by me ever again.

Oh less I forget. say Robert : Sure thing send that T/c barrel to Hoyt.

waarp8nt
03-01-2019, 08:31 PM
FYI to all folks considering reusing a factory T/C breech plug on a Green Mountain barrel. Many of the factory T/C barrels use 11/16 x 20 tpi breech plugs, where as GM uses 3/4 x 16 tpi breech plugs.

1Hawkeye
03-01-2019, 08:52 PM
Buzz I would also go the bobby hoyt route back a while ago I had a dixie tenn mtn rifle that bobby put one of his .40 cal barrels in and wow was that thing a tack hammer. I also had one of green mountains drop in .58 cal replacement barrels it was not so good it seems that gm put a few barrels out there that weren't drilled properly through the ignition passage way and would hang fire and guess which one I had when it did discharge properly it was accurate but most of the time it was like a bad flinter even when bone dry & spotlessly clean. I had an idea it would be fun to use it with minnie balls but it just wasn't to be.

03-01-2019, 10:28 PM
Buzzard. --
Hoyt's done a few barrels for me but it's been so long ago I can't remember the prices. I do remember it didn't sting. Mostly I got .54's from .50's, but one Renegade became a .60 roundballer. I'd do it again a heart beat. Getting what you want has a quality all it's own, and far surpasses what others might think.

Edward
03-01-2019, 10:46 PM
My rifled 62 RB shooter (used to be a 50) cost maybe $125 -30 3 weeks ago with quik turn around time /highly recommended
and I hope to convert more as I find those forgotten factory barrels hidden in closets /Ed

03-01-2019, 11:11 PM
Hoyt lines barrels, too. If I run across a suitable T/C barrel for the right price, I'd like to go the other direction, swamp one out and get a small caliber just for fun.

LAGS
03-01-2019, 11:45 PM
would it be possible for one of you to PM me the contact info on Bob Hoyt.
I can not find it right now because most of my stuff is packed for moving to my new house.

Edward
03-02-2019, 06:32 AM
would it be possible for one of you to PM me the contact info on Bob Hoyt.
I can not find it right now because most of my stuff is packed for moving to my new house.

Bob Hoyt 2379 MT Hope Rd Fairfield PA 17320-9407 Phone 717-642-6696 I f you call 7-8:00 AM is when I do ,he"s a busy man /Ed

crappie-hunter
03-02-2019, 07:01 AM

The last one I had done 2yrs ago was $100,but I was a walk in customer with Green money on the hip. that was a investarms barrel from 45cal to 50cal. Most likely will be more now.

Buzzard II
03-02-2019, 12:07 PM
Bob Hoyt 2379 MT Hope Rd Fairfield PA 17320-9407 Phone 717-642-6696 I f you call 7-8:00 AM is when I do ,he"s a busy man /Ed

Edward, Thanks for the best time frame to call Bob, as well as all the other info.
Bob

Rojelio
03-02-2019, 12:45 PM
Got him to rebore a TC barrel last year. $125.00 plus return shipping. Ended up right at $150.00.

BigAl52
03-02-2019, 01:00 PM
Ive done this twice with Bob and he has done them for 125.00 plus return postage. He does a great job. Another place that has good barrels and will build you a brand new one is the Gun Works in Oregon. Susie and Joe are good to deal with. His Oregon barrels are good barrels. Yes there more than doing one with Bob but if you want a new one Joe will do it.

dk17hmr
03-02-2019, 01:16 PM
$125?...I need to find a suitable rifle and a couple barrels to convert. I have a H&R huntsman in 58 caliber that is a great round ball shooter and has account for a handful of deer across the country by myself and friends. I'd like to have a 58 for shooting heavy slugs

Buzzard II
03-03-2019, 08:56 AM
FYI to all folks considering reusing a factory T/C breech plug on a Green Mountain barrel. Many of the factory T/C barrels use 11/16 x 20 tpi breech plugs, where as GM uses 3/4 x 16 tpi breech plugs.

Thanks! Great info.
Bob