PDA

View Full Version : JB Weld + buckshot ??

finstr
02-22-2019, 03:36 PM
I've used my very limited google-fu skills(unsuccessfully) to find something that resembles a wax/lead type slug but substituting JB Weld in the place of the wax. I've watched Taoflaedermous's videos of different jbweld slug types and shapes but have never seen anyone take the original JB Weld and pour it into a load of buckshot and let it harden up. Or better yet take the buckshot load and place it in a cylinder and pour the JB in to harden around the balls then load it back into the shell.
Anyone here try this?

Winger Ed.
02-22-2019, 03:43 PM
I've never done that, but JB Weld can do a lot of things.
I knew a guy once that thought you could make a boat trailer out of it.

country gent
02-22-2019, 03:47 PM
I think with the consistency of JB Weld you might be better with a mould or form. mix buckshot and JB weld together and then pour in the mould. My reasoning being the JB weld may not flow or may air lock leaving voids and air pockets. By mixing measured amounts of shot and glue you would get a more even fill and consistency. One issue is the JB will be harder than wax and maybe even lead and not compress the same thru chokes or tighter bores

finstr
02-22-2019, 03:56 PM
Agreed with the mold idea but I was thinking shooting these thru a rifled barrel . My thinking was a cylinder shaped lead/glue slug that could fracture on impact with a large deer but still penetrate bone etc past where normal buckshot becomes useless.

Texas by God
02-22-2019, 04:04 PM
JB weld doesn't compress. I'd advise against it- if you're using a rifled barrel just use slugs. My opinion doesn't mean much coming from a rifle state; but I've used JB weld a lot.

RED BEAR
02-22-2019, 04:10 PM
This one went straight over my head. Not sure what you are trying to achieve.

finstr
02-22-2019, 04:19 PM

So using the JB Weld as a void filler and the wad as a mold I mixed it up and put 1oz of #4 buckshot in the cup. Then took a cut hull band to stop the cup from over expanding. Letting it dry to see what comes out.

finstr
02-22-2019, 04:27 PM
This one went straight over my head. Not sure what you are trying to achieve.

Well we cast all different kinds of slugs ourselves from molds purchased from Lee to custom cast molds. Ive seen many different types of things shot out of a shotgun here and on other sites. Just wondered if anyone other than myself has attempted this before. I've seen it done with wax and birdshot but not with buckshot and JB Weld.
If this looks do-able when it hardens I will make a bunch and test them for accuracy and performance giving us yet another option in our toolbox.
Why? Because it's fun and I can.

Hogtamer
02-22-2019, 04:30 PM
No offense finstr, but that sounds like a thoroughly bad idea. Lead is a lot cheaper and actually works as intended.

Y-man
02-22-2019, 04:40 PM
I agree that this may be a bit dangerous. And this is coming from someone who has tried almost everything that can be shot out of a shotgun.

I have done something similar - but used hot-glue, melted in a ladle, , shot mixed in it, and poured into a shotcup mould. Hot Glue does compress, so I did not get much worries.

HOWEVER (!) I did get a LOT of fouling of my bore, and you would definitely get even more with JB Weld.

Finally: would JB Weld not make each shot MORE expensive?

Not worth it. [I think I remember even Jeff - Taofledermaus - discarded the idea too...]

finstr
02-22-2019, 04:55 PM
I will measure the OD of the slug when it hardens and see what I have. If the diameter is too large to fit down the rifled bore with the shot cup petals attached then I'll reassess the situation. Could even make these in a 20ga shot cup then load them into the 12 with some wrap on them to act as a sabot.

stubshaft
02-22-2019, 05:01 PM
JB Weld is pretty strong stuff. I don't know how frangible it would be.

bikerbeans
02-22-2019, 05:03 PM
I would use a remote fire method on the first few rounds. A slo mo video would be helpful if you have to look for action parts from your shotgun.

Oh, don't pay me no mind, i'm the guy who shots xbow bolts from a 410.;-)

BB

finstr
02-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Lol Ive done that before too.
I have casted my own sabots and made aluminum jackets for them before too

Here it is beside a non compressible partition gold slug.

Only problem was it wasn’t very accurate.

FullTang
02-22-2019, 05:46 PM
I've done this with great success using epoxy and also with plain, cheap wax in one of these wads:
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/images/CLBCm.png
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Cushioned-LBC-12ga-wad-unslit-250_bag/productinfo/0729012/
if you use an un-slit wad, the material doesn't need to be very strong to withstand the spin, and wax is way cheaper than JB Weld!236582

RED BEAR
02-22-2019, 06:44 PM
You could go with poor mans buck shot cut around the hull until its almost completely around place in chamber and fire the hull and load stay together until impact. Never actually done it myself but saw it done a lot.

finstr
02-22-2019, 06:47 PM
So his is what I ended up with. It’s a 1oz slug with a .680” dia

It’s .722” with the shotcup petals attached and slides into the rifled barrel without too much force at all. I’m going to load this into a trap shell and see what the results are. Stay tuned.

jdfoxinc
02-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Sliceing part way through a hull causes higher pressures because the hull is larger in diameter than the bore.

Hossfly
02-22-2019, 07:39 PM
Haven’t done the JB weld trick but was successful with stringing #1 buck shot to monofilament line tied in a circle, leaving 2 out, can get 16 back in 2-3/4’’ 12 ga. Will carry all in a wad to target out to about 115 steps. Devastatingly good patern.

gwpercle
02-22-2019, 08:13 PM
No offense finstr, but that sounds like a thoroughly bad idea. Lead is a lot cheaper and actually works as intended.
LIKE !

Redneck slug...be sure and get a video , I want to see what happens to that barrel.
I can tell you melted wax didn't improve any patterens but wax and cured JB Weld are two different things.
Gary

Stephen Cohen
02-23-2019, 02:16 AM
If you just wanted a solid slug that broke up when it hits the target would the cut shell method work, you know cut nearly all way round just above the brass base and fire it. I am not sure of the safety of using Jb weld but glaister safety slugs were made similar were they not. All said and done you could cast some solids in much less time I think. Maybe something like this for pistol shot loads to stop blown patterns would be useful maybe. If you try please use a long string in case. Regards Stephen

longbow
02-23-2019, 12:17 PM
I'm not seeing any danger here for a 0.680" projectile in shotcup shot from cylinder bore with a recipe for equal weight payload but I'm not seeing any benefit either.

If successful in creating a frangible "slug" it will be a simple cylinder so will tumble in flight and accuracy will be poor... very poor. So long range use is out.

At close range it may give similar effect as wax slugs or cut shell slugs but I am not sure of any benefit there and with buckshot why bother? I'd never shoot a cut shell "slug" and question any "benefit" of wax slugs since again they are only going to be useful at close range due to inaccuracy.

The OP has an idea he wants to try and as long as he does it safely that's fine but I'm not seeing any benefit.

Longbow

Texas by God
02-23-2019, 01:38 PM
You guys are 😜 I love it. I loaded solder fletchettes in my 12 ga once. It would be cruel to shoot something with them but it tore up a watermelon. I think the jb'd buckshot will be unbalanced but give her a rip and see what's what. You might try an unrifled cylinder bore for a test first. Good luck!

woody1
02-23-2019, 04:44 PM
Sliceing part way through a hull causes higher pressures because the hull is larger in diameter than the bore.

Regarding "cut shells", back in the old days, prob'ly before most of you's days, the NRA tested the cut shell theory. They found that pressure actually goes down pretty significantly as does velocity. Naturally with reduced pressure you'd have lower velocity. Don't take my word for it, look it up in the NRA Illustrated RELOADING HANDBOOK which was published about 1960 or so. My book was copied by Wilgen and should be available for looking or download on castpics.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-78367.html

jonp
02-23-2019, 04:50 PM

So using the JB Weld as a void filler and the wad as a mold I mixed it up and put 1oz of #4 buckshot in the cup. Then took a cut hull band to stop the cup from over expanding. Letting it dry to see what comes out.

Jeez I love gun guys with time on their hands..now I'm onto a new project. Thanks for this

dverna
02-23-2019, 06:26 PM
My pea brain is not understanding why you want to do this. If I need a slug I use a slug. If I need buckshot I use buck shot.

Are you trying to hold the buckshot togther until it gets downrange a ways?

JB weld is not cheap either. Maybe something like Pectin would work. You can adjust the viscosity and if it does not work. you can make jam. LOL

longbow
02-23-2019, 07:50 PM
Right you are woody1.

I'd guess the reason for low pressure is the gas leakage from the breech described in the article.

However, safe of not, I am not seeing any benefit to cut shells, wax slugs or the like. A cut shell is not a slug and will not behave like a slug even if it flew like a Brenneke. At impact it will spill it's shot and not provide penetration like a solid slug. If filled with buckshot AND providing slug like accuracy to say 50 yards it might be a be a decent round to use against bad guys but I wouldn't depend on it for hunting because terminal performance is likely to be variable and questionable.

So, since I really don't have any long range self defense need these things have no interest to me. I'm with Don on this.

However, the OP has an interest or application for his idea which is fine. Play but play safe!

Longbow

pashiner
02-24-2019, 08:23 AM
Just a word of caution...keep those shells round when you fill them. If they end up oval in cross section, they'll break up in the barrel when they hit the forcing cone. Find a chunk of pipe the shell fits tightly into, and insert the shell while the jb weld cures. I think you'll have more success that way.
So long as you're not doing anything unsafe, and you have a disposable barrel, shotguns are a hoot to blast unusual things out of. Wax slugs are great for short-range multiple target drills, absolutely vaporizing garden pests, and generally blasting holes in stuff. There is literally no better way to make air holes in a burn barrel. That said, I would still stick to a real lead slug for hunting. In my opinion, if I have to kill medium game at ranges under 100 yds, you can't beat a cast lead 12 gauge slug. Or round ball for that matter.

Texas by God
02-24-2019, 09:50 AM
My pea brain is not understanding why you want to do this. If I need a slug I use a slug. If I need buckshot I use buck shot.

Are you trying to hold the buckshot togther until it gets downrange a ways?

JB weld is not cheap either. Maybe something like Pectin would work. You can adjust the viscosity and if it does not work. you can make jam. LOL
Shoot em in the biscuits with lead jam!

finstr
02-24-2019, 10:30 AM
I've loaded a few shells up and was planning on shooting them today (sunday) but the weather is so crummy I'll have to postpone testing until the wind and freezing rain dies down.

02-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Sounds over engineered to me. JB is unforgiving and very well may damage the barrel. You seem intent on this experiment, so make sure nobody is near it when fired. Please post a video, if possible. In an era gone by, we used to cast dental plaster with bird shot as a breaching round. It wasn't particularly good for the shotgun, but we didn't care as they were departmental shotguns. Better to tear up a shotgun than to have an officer stand with a battering ram in front of dangerous entry problem. As far as a deer hunting round, well, by definition, it's folly. If you want to just because you want to, I'm all for it. A mass of cemented balls will certainly have an asymmetric center of gravity and probably fly like a half filled water balloon. Good luck.

RED BEAR
02-24-2019, 11:07 AM
As far as cutting around hull raising pressure plastic compresses pretty easy i doubt it raises it all that much. Especially with cheap target shells which is what most use as thats the point to get a slug at a very cheap price.

W.R.Buchanan
02-24-2019, 05:27 PM
I've loaded a few shells up and was planning on shooting them today (sunday) but the weather is so crummy I'll have to postpone testing until the wind and freezing rain dies down.

Wuss! :kidding:

Randy

longbow
02-24-2019, 10:42 PM
Hah! The poor weather has been my excuse too but mostly because I have to haul everything about 100 meters uphill (a steep hill!) through snow to get to the range.

I finally got there today though. About time!

Not sure I'd be out there in wind and freezing rain either! We had a nice day today for a change.

Winter is nearing the end... in Southeastern B.C. anyway. Your winter may be somewhat longer depending on where in Ontario you are.

Your time will come!

Longbow

finstr
02-27-2019, 04:29 PM
Well after injuring myself while removing the 3' snow drift in front of my pickup I'm laid up for the short term. When the disc retracts back into my spine I should be good to go. Lol. And of course it's snowing again today....

CA Dude
02-28-2019, 11:34 PM
This reminds me of what my uncle told me they did during the depression. He said they would take a squirrel (birdshot) shell pry it open and pour syrup into it. They would glue to star crimp closed and put it on the windowsill. He said the sun would heat up the syrup and it drip would through the shot gluing the shot into a slug. He said after a couple of days they would take the shell off the sill and put it in a cool place. He said when you are dirt poor you will do whatever it takes to put food on the table. Another uncle talked about load shells using copper wire that had been cut into small pieces to be used as shot. Not sure I would do an of these things, but I haven't ever been that hungry.

longbow
03-01-2019, 09:19 PM
I'd have to think that syrup and shot would be much like wax slugs which may hold together until impact but they can't possibly fly well being cylinders so no chance of accuracy beyond 25 yards or so and at impact it isn't a slug so penetration would be poor. You'd be better off pouring out the shot, melting and casting a slug or buckshot. I get the "They were poor." bit but a simple mould can be make and would be better than "glued together bird shot. Even a solid cylindrical slug would be better than glued shot. Accuracy wouldn't be any better but at least it would penetrate so at bowhunting ranges it should be quite effective.

I used to use a cut off CO2 cylinder as a crude mould when I was a kid. Open the shotgun shell, dump out the shot, melt over a blow torch or whatever, pour into the cut off CO2 cylinder, let cool then drop into your hull and refold. They weren't very accurate at anything past 25 yards but they certainly penetrated what they hit and would definitely drop a deer at "bowhunting" range.

Casting swan shot isn't that difficult either and it would (did) make good buckshot at moderate ranges. Just drip lead into water and you get swan shot.

Heavy copper wire cut in short cylinders should make decent shot but copper is pricey enough it is probably worth more to sell if you have any large amount. If used out of necessity it is soft and heavy so decent replacement for shot and won't hurt the bore. However, if you have factory rounds you are reloading with copper why not use the shot they came with? If reloading then there is always a source of lead ~ wheelweight, old car batterys, lead drain pipe, cable sheathing, fishing weights.

I'll stay away from cut shells, wax slugs and the like. There are better ways.

Longbow

Bazoo
03-02-2019, 03:54 AM
I've done cut shells before. Instead of cutting all the way around with one cut, I make two cuts each half way around. Makes the shell strong enough to cycle through a pump gun. At 75 yards I can hit my 2/3 IPSC target with a cut shell, but birdshot from a 18cylinder won't touch it.

It's a neat trick to know if you're ever pinned down behind cover with nothing but a shotgun and birdshot and a knife and need to reach out enough to make them duck so you can run for the truck. Ha

Loudenboomer
03-02-2019, 10:27 AM
Cut shell. Haven't tried that one. I would have guessed the crimp would have opened up when the hull hit the end of the chamber. Interesting. No need for a hollow point in that slug!
As a kid I tried pouring wax into a load of #2 shot. All I could get was full pattern results.

longbow
03-02-2019, 11:54 AM
Hopefully it never happens but Bazoo has one legitimate use for cut shells... "It's a neat trick to know if you're ever pinned down behind cover with nothing but a shotgun and birdshot and a knife and need to reach out enough to make them duck so you can run for the truck. Ha"

In that case, I'd try cut shells if I had nothing better! Putting the hurt on bad guys is something they could be good for.

W.R.Buchanan
03-02-2019, 02:16 PM
Good reason to ALWAYS carry a few slug loads with you. If you've got the gun with you, having 2 or 3 more shells on your person wouldn't be asking too much. If you need to defend yourself from hostile animals or man you won't have time to run to the truck and rearm yourself.

I always carry a pistol on me any time I am at my Range, and especially when I go down range to check targets. I never leave my Primary Weapon laying on the bench with ammo sitting right next to it, and if there are people I don't know there, I take my rifle with me when I check targets.

My range is located pretty far away from civilization, deep in the Los Padres Nation Forrest 13 miles north of Ojai. There is no Cell service so if something goes wrong you're on your own until somebody else shows up. During the week that could be a while. Point being you never know when or if somebody is going to "go off," even if they appear to be friendly. If you know the others there, then maybe no problem but if you don't know them,,, Discretion is the better part of Valor. Better to be safe than sorry and all that.

On a slightly different note: We just had 4 DOJ Agents here in CA go to a guys house and confiscate some weapons he had tried to register. They decided they were illegal and came in and confiscated them. This guy was absolutely no threat and that is why they chose him. Had they gone into a barrio in Oakland, LA or Fresno they most likely would have been killed, and they knew it. So they picked this soft target to make sure word got around that they were confiscating guns.

Nobody is registering guns in CA any more, like all Liberals they screw up everything they touch and by doing this they insured that nobody will try to register anything ever again. It is obvious that it is pointless to try to obey unconstitutional laws. They don't care so why should you.

Here's the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Lyeeq17fY&t=776s

My .02

Randy

Texas by God
03-02-2019, 06:03 PM
The buttstock cuff holds 5 shells on the farm gun. Front 2 are 7-1/2s, then one high brass 4, a 00B, and then a slug. Squirrels to pigs. The house 870 is full of #4Buck with slugs in the cuff.

03-02-2019, 08:28 PM
The left has successfully confused the concepts of "malum in se" and "malum prohibitum". (Bad, in and of itself. vs. Bad because it's prohibited"). In other words, bad because you shot somebody vs bad because you crossed some jurisdictional line and your permit is not valid here. To the left and cheseball law enforcement a gun stat is a gun stat with no distinction. Real law enforcement sees the difference, but is becoming more and more rare.

gpidaho
03-02-2019, 09:44 PM
I'm so blessed to live in a state where gun ownership is considered a virtue not a vice. Gp

woody1
03-03-2019, 03:26 PM
I'm a little confused. :?: I thot we were talkin' about making slugs out of shot or some suck like. Is this thread drift? :???:

03-03-2019, 04:03 PM
Sorry. I was just responding to "a different note."

Y-man
03-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Well after injuring myself while removing the 3' snow drift in front of my pickup I'm laid up for the short term. When the disc retracts back into my spine I should be good to go. Lol. And of course it's snowing again today....

So sorry to hear, I hope you are getting better?

W.R.Buchanan
03-04-2019, 04:27 AM
I tend to drift alot. You should talk to me in person, I'm just as bad or worse. Sometimes I make sense.

Randy