PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate press ??

SvenLindquist
02-21-2019, 04:58 PM
This why people buy Audis and Benzs !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKkOVjayYvo

dverna
02-21-2019, 05:07 PM
I do not have a lot of internet capacity so only watched a bit of it. Once I saw it was a single stage, I lost all interest.

I do not need anything better than either my RC or Co-Ax for loading accurate rifle rounds. Something that will run faster and/or better than my 1050's would be interesting.

SvenLindquist
02-21-2019, 05:28 PM
You shuda watched it all. The performance (as measured) was beyond anything made over here. (cept maybe Wilson)

tazman
02-21-2019, 05:34 PM
If it won't begin producing ammunition to proper specs automatically by voice commands, then it isn't the ultimate press.

country gent
02-21-2019, 05:45 PM
Looking at it in the pictures it would be an easier press to make by a home machinist. Bolt the base plate slide and top plate together on short shafts and the die opening ram hole bushing and center plate can be bored on location and size. The alignment is a plus and ball bushing are meant to run in a interference fit of .001-.002 on the shafts the 3 shaft design also allows for better alignment. A set of wipers or seals on the bushing might be nice to keep crud out of the bushings. But all considered its an interesting piece of equipment.

EDG
02-21-2019, 06:16 PM
Audis, Benz and BMWs lol
I know a bank teller that says most of the owners of those cars have about $15 in their checking accounts.

He can measure anything he wants but the target is the only measure that counts.
It is too bad the Japanese do not have firearms because they would probably exceed the Germans easily due to their statistical process control history. The Germans tend to go down rat holes and make things needlessly expensive for zero practical benefit.

jimkim
02-21-2019, 06:44 PM
Looks like the Germans built the press I was thinking of building, using Lee Classic Turret parts. Mine would be easier to access from the front.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

dragon813gt
02-21-2019, 07:00 PM
Bench rest shooters user arbor presses and straight line dies for a reason. A press that uses standard dies is pretty much the same as the next one. And we all know that isn’t the ultimate press. The Rock Crusher is the ultimate press: https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/RC000

Livin_cincy
02-21-2019, 07:08 PM
Looks like the Germans built the press I was thinking of building, using Lee Classic Turret parts. Mine would be easier to access from the front.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

If you purchased the top part of the new Lee Breech Lock Pro press you can convert a Lee Turret to a three legged single stage that uses breech locks on the dies.

kayala
02-21-2019, 07:13 PM
Watched on FF for a while and didn't get what makes it worth 3xCoAx or 6xRC.

1hole
02-21-2019, 09:48 PM
... that isn’t the ultimate press. The Rock Crusher is the ultimate press: https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/RC000

Nice piece of gear but it depends on how "ultimate" is defined. I would suggest Redding's UltraMag is the current strongest/rigid and it has the most leverage of any common press.

country gent
02-21-2019, 10:44 PM
One thing that came to mind after watching the video and thinking a little about it. With the shafts and ball bushings for alignment this would be a very easy press to rebuild if you wore it out. If it uses ball bushing on the ram then its completely rebuildable thru parts changes.

dverna
02-22-2019, 12:35 AM
One thing that came to mind after watching the video and thinking a little about it. With the shafts and ball bushings for alignment this would be a very easy press to rebuild if you wore it out. If it uses ball bushing on the ram then its completely rebuildable thru parts changes.

My Co-Ax is about 45 years old. Doubt I will ever wear it out. My 50 year old RC still works too. But maybe I do not use them enough to wear them out.

NoZombies
02-22-2019, 12:38 AM
They're nice presses, and the one I handled was very smooth. I didn't buy one when given the chance though.

EDG
02-22-2019, 12:47 AM
I once used a 6 ton capacity Amada CNC press brake. It much nicer than any reloading tool.

Rcmaveric
02-22-2019, 02:10 AM
Looks like a CoAx or Mec or even the Frankford Arsenal press. That thing cost 750 Euros thats avout 850 bucks though. Not including shipping and importation. Looks smooth operating. I would buy a Co-Ax

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rbuck351
02-22-2019, 02:45 AM
Can you prime on this thing?

M-Tecs
02-22-2019, 02:56 AM
This is closer to my ultimate reloading machine http://www.camdexloader.com/2100Pistol.aspx

Rcmaveric
02-22-2019, 03:32 AM
This is closer to my ultimate reloading machine http://www.camdexloader.com/2100Pistol.aspxThe fact it doesnt show the price on the website means I cant afford it. [emoji1787][emoji1787]

airone46
02-22-2019, 09:00 AM
https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/RC000 .....

sorry but a $ 2,000 press is used to tighten the blast of shots on the target :Fuoco:: Guntootsmiley:, or to widen the purse of those who sell it?: ???:

PowPow
02-22-2019, 09:56 AM
Price plus VAT 714.30 € + plus packaging and shipping. $810 + shipping.
Price including VAT. 850,00 € + plus packaging and shipping. $963 + shipping.

I don't think we have to pay VAT, so at $810 + shipping, that's ultimate money.

Rcmaveric
02-22-2019, 01:46 PM
What are they using to build these? Uniobtainum and using hand tools to make drill it all? Little steep for a bas plate, two plate on guide rods.

Conditor22
02-22-2019, 02:28 PM
https://turban-shop.de/shop/

Heavy Präzipress 120 850.00 € = $964.37 USD + shipping

troyboy
02-22-2019, 03:34 PM
Takes time to make a press like that. Not a mass produced cast and stamped assembly. It one appreciates fine tools this looks like it. Craftsmanship and quality cost no matter what discipline.

RED BEAR
02-22-2019, 05:03 PM
I will say it is the simplest piece of german engineering i think i have ever seen. They usually find a new piece of engineering to fix any little problem then ten more to fix the fix.

SvenLindquist
02-22-2019, 07:04 PM
Takes time to make a press like that. Not a mass produced cast and stamped assembly. It one appreciates fine tools this looks like it. Craftsmanship and quality cost no matter what discipline.

Pleased to see that ONE member is not a critic that has never seen one. If you spend some time on the fellows videos he clearly knows about equipment. Because you drive a Jeep --- don't knock a G-Wagon ---- especially if you have never seen one, not to mention driven one.

country gent
02-22-2019, 07:17 PM
I did some looking today at linear ball bushing on line they seem to run in cost from $65.00 - $150.00 each depending on accuracy level required seals and alignment needs. There are at least 3 if not 5 of these on this press. The 3 running the shell holder plate and 1-2 on the ram. That's $200.00 low end cheapest bearings to $750.00 for 5 of the high end bearings. this is just the bearings no hardened shafting no ground and polished handles or parts no machining or inserts. This doesn't take into account the accuracy of the machining needed here or time. In reality the price for the quality accuracy and workmanship isn't out of line. Its just out of my price range. Even if the base center and top plates are castings the bearings, machining time and case hardened ground shafts are very expensive.

dragon813gt
02-22-2019, 07:19 PM
I’m not knocking the quality. I have a thing for German automobiles and firearms so I have no issue spending money for quality. But there’s a point of diminishing returns. What is this press going to do that a Lee Classic Cast, Rock Chucker of Co-Ax won’t do? If someone wants to buy a well engineered and built press then go for it. But don’t expect it to do anything that a much cheaper press won’t do. And there’s a huge difference in price. If it was $400-$500 I would probably buy it because I like nice tools. But I can’t justify progressive money for a single stage.

EDG
02-22-2019, 07:27 PM
Not true. I have seen that press on other sites including Accurate Shooter and even there no one bought one. Having worked in manufacturing and engineering for 50 years I do not need to use a gold plated boat anchor to know how it works compared to a non-plated boat anchor. The fact the guy even drools over the press is evidence of his lack of objectivity.

Pleased to see that ONE member is not a critic that has never seen one. If you spend some time on the fellows videos he clearly knows about equipment. Because you drive a Jeep --- don't knock a G-Wagon ---- especially if you have never seen one, not to mention driven one.

nicholst55
02-22-2019, 07:48 PM
Intended for the 'gear *****' with more money than sense, IMHO.

megasupermagnum
02-22-2019, 07:52 PM
I'm not familiar with Forester dies, but why did he back the seating die off like that? I set mine about 1/4 turn in from touching. Set like I do, bullet runout is completely a function of the die, the press doesn't even matter.

I load on a Rock Chucker that I bought from someone who had already put in decades of loading on it. I doubt I will get another single stage anytime soon. If I were to buy a brand new, I wouldn't consider anything but the Lee classic cast. It's every bit as robust, and even larger than the Rock chucker, at a much lower price. The only place it makes sense to spend more is when you are talking about a progressive press.

That's metallic anyway, single stage shotgun presses are a whole other game.

02-22-2019, 08:57 PM
I do not need anything better than either my RC or Co-Ax for loading accurate rifle rounds. Something that will run faster and/or better than my 1050's would be interesting.

That's almost the same exact thought I had when I watched it. My Rock Chucker has done a great job for me since '71 for speed I have my RL-1050's. :2_high5:

rbuck351
02-23-2019, 03:08 AM
Very nice looking press but two questions. Will it load more accurate ammo than what the bench rest folks are using and can you prime on it?

SvenLindquist
02-23-2019, 07:10 AM
It will not load any better ammo than Wilson but is faster. No one loading precision ammo primes in the press but if you wanted to, you could use the RCBS system that mounts in the die station, is straight line and has excellent "feel".

Seems as if none of the critics actually read the runout data. My Redding equipment cannot match what he did and somehow I doubt a Lee would either.

I can't afford it or the G-Wagon but I would not be a critic because I can't afford one. What's top quality is top quality and sour grapes carping won't change that.

Buy the best you can afford but don't knock the guy who can buy better stuff. That's Cortez talking.

jonp
02-23-2019, 09:03 AM
Not true. I have seen that press on other sites including Accurate Shooter and even there no one bought one. Having worked in manufacturing and engineering for 50 years I do not need to use a gold plated boat anchor to know how it works compared to a non-plated boat anchor. The fact the guy even drools over the press is evidence of his lack of objectivity.

If you watch his other video's he drools over every press he unboxes and tries out. He does have a great channel and I subscribe as the video quality is excellent and he does a great overview of all of the gear he tests out.

pertnear
02-23-2019, 09:48 AM
I still have my first RCBS press of 45+ years. Others in this thread have mentioned also how their press has lasted ump-teen years & is still working perfect. For a dyed-in-the-wool handloader doing a press upgrade, a $1,000 investment is not reasonable. It's a lifetime tool. With all the bearings & parts my only worry is how hard would it be to get future repairs if something DID happen. We all know how ridiculously good the warranties are from RCBS, Redding, Lyman, etc. A press from Germany, I don't know?

Why was this posted? Now, I kinda want one. [smilie=b:

Catshooter
02-25-2019, 01:53 AM
Nice equipment.

To me, the ultimate press is my RCBS Ammomaster. In progressive form it can load from .32 ACP to the .460 Weatherby/ 600 Nitro. In single station form it can load the .22 Ladybug (!) to the .50 BMG.

Mine is set up right now to progressively load .30-06.

I love it.

Cat

rbuck351
02-25-2019, 02:45 AM
Ultimate accuracy is not the only game in town. For the competition hand gun shooter this "ultimate" press would be almost useless. Also not much use for a trap shooter or three gun or cowboy action or a number of other shooters that don't need ultimate accuracy but need a lot of ammo that is accurate enough for what they are doing. For some the ultimate press could be a simple Lee press. If that is all they can afford, a $900 press is worthless to them. To me the Dillon 550b is the ultimate because a 650 or 1050 are above my pay grade and are therefore worthless to me.

Rcmaveric
02-25-2019, 03:18 AM
I am pretty sure anything is better than my Lee Hand press, but it still makes wonderfully accurate ammo. Since i cant afford anything better i am not so easily fooled by pretty sales pitches. Maybe in 20 more years when the kids are done with college. I also am not so easily fool by the miss leading terms such as such as close tollerances because I understand the mechanics of self centering and floating which is how a lot of pur presses work. Evennthe higher ends. Nothing is perfect there will always be tolerances.

W.R.Buchanan
03-01-2019, 07:42 PM
I wish everybody who commented on this press that Gavin reported on, would recommend that he include the BPM Hand Press in his 17 press shoot out.

He did a review on my tool last year and even F/L sized .308 machine gun brass with one stroke. Many people had negative comments simply because they didn't understand what the tool is used for or how nice it is made. Plenty of *****s out there and the internet is no place for whimps. But it takes 3 strokes to size machine gun brass on my Rockchucker, so they just didn't understand!

Gavin is a good guy and he is progressing nicely in his Reloading Education and doing good work spreading the word about Reloading and Reloading Equipment. He is also becoming quite the machinist which kind of goes hand in hand with what he is doing with his website.

I saw this Super Press at the SHOT Show last year and it is certainly nicely done. If you have a use for it and can afford it then it is worth having. If you like the feel of nice things in your hands then this one is certainly at the top of the heap.

People who don't understand what it takes to make Quality Equipment often complain about the price. But Quality Equipment costs more money to make simply because of the amount of direct human intervention needed to produce the finished product and the cost of producing all the parts associated with the finished product which invariably require much better materials and more thought to finish.

The difference in the end is called "Tactile Gratification." That is the joy you get from handling stuff that feels good in your hands.

As a Machinist I look at different machines as having it or not. Bridgeport Mills have a better feel than Chinese made machine tools that look exactly the same. Hardinge Lathes have a better feel than the exact same machine produced in Taiwan. Some guns just feel better in your hands than other guns, and everyone here should understand that.

Those guns usually cost more than cheaper guns that don't feel as good,,, but lets face it,,, they aren't for everybody, so there's a place for both in the market place. Some people will understand this,,, others will watch as the concept flies strait over their heads.

These's a saying, "There's an *** for Every Seat."

It fits here.

Randy

SvenLindquist
03-01-2019, 09:33 PM
When any of the critics buy and test one, they may have credibility.
Absent that, it's like me dumping on a CHIRON SPORT .

NoZombies
03-01-2019, 11:06 PM
Over the years, I've owned a few Rolex watches. I've also owned a few Timex watches. I've never had a Rolex that kept better time than a Timex. But a classic Rolex does a lot more to get my heart going than a modern Timex. Which watch is better?

As I said, I handled the press in question, and it's a very nice press, but I didn't buy it for the same reason I don't buy Rolex watches anymore; As much as I appreciate a thing of beauty, if it doesn't solve a problem or make my life easier, I can't justify the expenditure.

ReloaderFred
03-02-2019, 02:46 AM
I have the Corbin CSP-1 press, and it has a lot of the features indicated as preferred for other top of the line presses. http://www.bulletswage.com/csp-1.htm

If you really wanted to go a step further, there is the Corbin CSP-2 Mega-Mite Press. http://www.bulletswage.com/pr-csp2.htm

They're domestically produced and parts and accessories are readily available.

Hope this helps.

Fred