View Full Version : What RCBS Press is this?

Twmaster
02-18-2019, 06:21 PM
A buddy of mine has this older RCBS press. I made a primer catcher for it but would like to identify the press.

The rear upright is marked as follows: - RC -

The paint is not the original color. It has the 'bike handle' style lever top.

Thank you.

onelight
02-18-2019, 06:47 PM
I may not remember correctly but I think the RC = rock chucker , one of the rock chucker variations.

Twmaster
02-18-2019, 06:48 PM
I guess I should have been more clear. Yes, we know it's a Rock Chucker. Which version? Thanks so far. :mrgreen:

onelight
02-18-2019, 07:04 PM
I guess I should have been more clear. Yes, we know it's a Rock Chucker. Which version? Thanks so far. :mrgreen:
I think some of the rcbs presses have a date stamp under the die 7/8 x 14 die adapter screw in dodad
, I can’t remember what it’s called.

Winger Ed.
02-18-2019, 07:08 PM
That's got to be a Rockchucker.
It looks exactly like one I had years ago.
There's also a 'junior' model, but it looks lighter, and not as 'stout', for lack of a better word, than yours.

red67
02-18-2019, 09:32 PM
It's the Rock Chucker #1.

The Rock Chucker #2 was marked RC-2, and had a ball handle instead of the bicycle handle.

Walks
02-18-2019, 09:53 PM
It looks better then RockChucker I bought in 1975.

Mytmousemalibu
02-18-2019, 10:05 PM
I love those old presses, thats a clean one.

Anyone know where to get a proper "bike handle" grip?
I have a wonderful original condition Lyman that just lacks the grip. It might need the primer tube assembly too but im not that concerned with that part.

Taterhead
02-19-2019, 12:39 AM
Rock Chucker 1.As stated above, the date of mg will likely be found by removing the threaded bushing. Should be stamped on the top of the frame.

Markopolo
02-19-2019, 01:00 AM
I think some of the rcbs presses have a date stamp under the die 7/8 x 14 die adapter screw in dodad
, I can’t remember what it’s called.
It’s called a bushing... lol

762 shooter
02-19-2019, 08:09 AM
The date as described above. The lower linkage is an indicator also. Earlier RC 1's used a bolt and nut to secure the handle linkage. Later used pin and clips. Earlier RC's had a "crinkle" finish with a lighter green color. Later had "hammer tone" finish and darker green.

My 1969 RC has crinkle and bolt/nut. I think the RC's came out in 1966 after they stopped the "A" model machined steel presses.

onelight
02-19-2019, 08:47 AM
It’s called a bushing... lol

Thanks you saved me from a senior moment. :groner:

Twmaster
02-19-2019, 11:10 AM
Thank you all for the info. My buddy will also be pleased to know this info too.

gwpercle
02-21-2019, 03:44 PM
How many rocks would a rockchuck chuck if a rockchuck could chuck rocks ?

You don't have to be clinically insane to post here but it helps... not much going on at the asylum today.
Why is the press called a rockchuck ?

Divedigger
02-21-2019, 03:49 PM
Because thats what people that got into reloading were shooting ?

Winger Ed.
02-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Why is the press called a rockchuck ?

Dog gone it. I used to know that, now I'll have to look it up.

The 'chuck' part has to do with woodchucks. Its some critter that lives up there in the
unexplored regions of North America that down here, we refer to as 'Not Texas'.

L Erie Caster
02-21-2019, 06:22 PM
A Rockchuck is an animal similar to a woodchuck that is found in the Rocky Mountains. It was the favorite target of the founder of RCBS. That is what I understand anyway.

skeettx
02-21-2019, 06:42 PM
What is the year of manufacture stamped near the 7/8x14 bushing?

762 shooter
02-21-2019, 07:06 PM
Rock chuck bullet swage.
RCBS

Blindshooter
02-21-2019, 07:45 PM
Mine is marked like that, light green crinkle finish with the pins and clips instead of bolts. Got it in the 70's used. I replaced the bicycle grip handle with the longer ball handle from a ammo master. Love that press and have full intentions of passing it on to a nephew after I bite the dust.

1hole
02-21-2019, 09:38 PM
The original Rock Chucker press was just the "RC", that being all Fred Huntington had in mind at the time. The second generation was dubbed RC II. Successive numbered generations followed and it seems likely others will continue until the Rapture comes.

d4xycrq
02-21-2019, 09:53 PM
I buy Rock Chuckers whenever I see a deal. Cheapest paid was $20 for one NIB at a flea market. Somewhere in my travels I came across a crinkle finish one with the bicycle handle grip. They were much lighter green than the later ones.

retread
02-21-2019, 10:09 PM
I love those old presses, thats a clean one.

Anyone know where to get a proper "bike handle" grip?
I have a wonderful original condition Lyman that just lacks the grip. It might need the primer tube assembly too but im not that concerned with that part.

I found them on Ebay. Mostly black ones were the right size and shape. I rebuilt and old CH magnum "H" press and was looking for red but settled for black. Looks good. You might find it in green as I was not looking for anything but red or black. Good luck.

Jay

fast ronnie
02-22-2019, 12:56 AM
I just converted two of my Rock Chuckers to the Rock Chucker Two ball handles. They are a lot easier on the hand. Got my first one more than thirty years ago, now have three.

Mytmousemalibu
02-24-2019, 02:00 PM
I found them on Ebay. Mostly black ones were the right size and shape. I rebuilt and old CH magnum "H" press and was looking for red but settled for black. Looks good. You might find it in green as I was not looking for anything but red or black. Good luck.

Jay

Thank you for the tip!

David2011
02-25-2019, 03:12 PM
Mine has the crinkle finish, pins in the lower linkage and a smooth vinyl cover rather than the bicycle handle. I think it’s original but can’t be certain. I’m the second owner and the friend from whom I got it passed on over 10 years ago.

gwpercle
02-25-2019, 03:39 PM
Is Punxsutawney Phill
a.) A Rock Chuck
b.) A Wood Chuck
c.) Ground Hog
d.) Marmot

True or False ?
The Rock Chuck is a common name for the Yellow Bellied Marmot ( M.flaviventris )

dragon813gt
02-25-2019, 08:10 PM
He’s a ground hog because he’s in Pennsylvania. They aren’t called anything else here. Well I guess they are called lots of other things but it’s usually preceded by a few curse words.

gwpercle
02-26-2019, 05:18 PM
He’s a ground hog because he’s in Pennsylvania. They aren’t called anything else here. Well I guess they are called lots of other things but it’s usually preceded by a few curse words.

Correct ...Phil is a ground hog.

RCBS could have been YBMBS... Yellow Bellied Marmot Bullet Swag !
the Rock Chuck is a Yellow Bellied Marmot...he's a Marmot , neither a Chuck nor a Hog !
Marmots are large ground dwelling Squirrels ! Whoa...who knew that .
Did we learn something new today ?
Tomorrow we shall discuss the 15 different species of the genus Marmota !

MOA
02-26-2019, 05:58 PM
Not all RCII's came with a ball handle. The early one's still had a smooth straight grip. I need to get either a ball for this handle along with getting it threaded or Pay RCBS 49 bucks and shipping for a new ball handle or spend 60 for a roller from inline fabrication. If I buy one I think I will spend the extra ten bucks and get one from inline.

https://i.postimg.cc/XJcThDPs/2019-02-26-15-51-19-Screenshot-2019-02-04-12-25-38-Postimage-o.png (https://postimages.org/)

375supermag
02-27-2019, 12:03 PM
Hi ..
Actually, back in the day the old guys called them "whistle pigs".
My grandfather, father and uncles all called them that. They were from Fulton County west of McConnellsburg...so it may have been a regional term.

dragon813gt
02-27-2019, 06:09 PM
Hi ..
Actually, back in the day the old guys called them "whistle pigs".
My grandfather, father and uncles all called them that. They were from Fulton County west of McConnellsburg...so it may have been a regional term.

Some people call them that but it’s very very rare and they’re usually very very old. They’re called ground hogs in the hunting digest which is the recognized name. I hate the things as they cause a lot of damage. The horse farms in southern Chester county really hate them. They can lose millions if a thoroughbred breaks one of its legs because of a ground hog hole.

Lloyd Smale
02-28-2019, 11:14 AM
200 years from now your great great great grandkid might be on here asking the same. Might not look so shiny by them but im guessing it still will size anything.

3006guns
03-01-2019, 05:55 PM
My ex got off with my original 1971 vintage Rock Chucker during the divorce. Bought a replacement off Ebay that needed a lot of help, but despite having over a dozen other presses.....including a Dillon 550........the RC is my "go to" press. They live forever.

David2011
03-03-2019, 04:07 PM
Not all RCII's came with a ball handle. The early one's still had a smooth straight grip. I need to get either a ball for this handle along with getting it threaded or Pay RCBS 49 bucks and shipping for a new ball handle or spend 60 for a roller from inline fabrication. If I buy one I think I will spend the extra ten bucks and get one from inline.

https://i.postimg.cc/XJcThDPs/2019-02-26-15-51-19-Screenshot-2019-02-04-12-25-38-Postimage-o.png (https://postimages.org/)

That's the same handle as mine including the smooth cover. Yours looks like it has the newer green/silver paint. Mine has wrinkle paint. Could the handle be from an older press? Not that any of that is important; I'm just curious. I polished my handle in the lathe and left it bright. It has stayed bright in New Mexico but when it goes to Gulf Coastal Texas it will probably rust in a week. Guess I'll have to keep it waxed and maybe touch up the polish job occasionally.

I put roller handles on both of my Dillons. They're well worth the additional money. I load .22-250, 6.5x55, .44 Mag and .45 Colt on the TC; all in volumes of 20 to 100 rounds at a time and find the smooth handle comfortable for those rounds. There's not a lot of resizing force required for any of those cartridges, though.

fguffey
03-03-2019, 04:26 PM
I have had 5, I converted one to cam over, two are still attached to Piggy Back 11 attachments, the other two I have used to keep the other presses 'looking good'.

I felt something going wrong with the handle and then suddenly and without warning the ram fell out the bottom of the press. I know better than to call RCBS and tell them 'my wife did it' so I told them 'suddenly and without warning. I did tell them my wife found the parts 'just laying on the floor' under the press.

RCBS said they would send me a new one; I had to ask "A new what?" because I was not interested in a new press. That is when they said they would send me a new ram with the instillation kit.

It would be nice if Herter was still in business and had the kind of service RCBS has.

F. Guffey

red67
03-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Is no one using the Auto Prime feature of the Rock Chucker? Most of the pictures don't show it mounted.

It's a simple setup that works well.

RIHP
03-03-2019, 10:02 PM
237286Un

This just showed up yesterday. Old and never used in the box. No date on the top, the bushing goes over the paint.

Pressman
03-03-2019, 10:08 PM
RIHP, the casting number on the right side will give some indication of age. You will have to remove the bushing to find the year stamp.

Ken

RIHP
03-03-2019, 11:44 PM

These came with the old RC. They were used, I have never seen a RCBS powder measure with a clear tube, metal top, silver drum and aluminum drop tube.

fast ronnie
03-04-2019, 01:33 AM
My ex got off with my original 1971 vintage Rock Chucker during the divorce. Bought a replacement off Ebay that needed a lot of help, but despite having over a dozen other presses.....including a Dillon 550........the RC is my "go to" press. They live forever.

First time I ever heard of losing a loading press in a divorce, but I have heard of a custody battle over a dog.

fast ronnie
03-04-2019, 01:50 AM
As for identification, it seems the early ones had the light green wrinkle finish, a bicycle type grip, and cast lever arms painted with the same light green wrinkle finish. The RC 2' had a darker color hammer tone paint, a ball handle. and steel linkage arms that were black oxide finish. There were also variations on the early ones with the linkage pins. It seem there were a couple of variations with the pins, some having press fit pins, and some having a c-clip to hold them.
I am also led to believe some had a bolt and nut, though I have not seen that myself.

The casting, itself, does not seem to have changed except for the RC logo has turned to RC-11.