PDA

View Full Version : What are they

GOPHER SLAYER
02-18-2019, 04:11 PM
I would like to know if anyone here might tell me what these two items are? The first is the lever. It is light but it is magnetic so I assume it is made of steel. The magnet stuck to it measures 1x3/4. The second picture is of two items made of rubber. The holes in them are counter sunk like scope mounts.

Winger Ed.
02-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Wow. Never seen anything like it.
Can ya give a hint about where it came from, where ya got it, or could I buy a vowel?

abunaitoo
02-18-2019, 05:12 PM
The bottom looks like parts from my lathe.
They hold the compound to the bed.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-18-2019, 05:25 PM
I got these two items in a yard sale. They were in a box of misc stuff. The women who had the sale said her husband had a large gun collection and spent his days casting and sizing. The son had grabbed all of the guns. I asked why he didn't take any ammo or components she said, "oh he never goes hunting or target shooting". He new what was valuable. All of the man's reloading gear had been bought by friends, even they didn't take the gas checks or cast bullets. She is stuck with thousands of 44 cal devastator hollow bullets. She said her husband delighted in shooting water melons and see them turn into a mist. He used a 44 mag which she said was a S&W. I did buy two molds and all the gas checks. I do have two 44 cal pistols and a 44mag Marlin carbine but I don't shoot them much.

Winger Ed.
02-18-2019, 05:33 PM
Sounds like he was one of us.
Those things might have been in a box of stuff that 'came to him' like we become a home for unusual items.

Moleman-
02-18-2019, 05:58 PM
I'd start looking at falling block pistols, and perhaps even falling block pistol kits as that lever doesn't look well finished like perhaps it was part of a "kit".

GOPHER SLAYER
02-18-2019, 06:03 PM
Yes Winger, he was definitely one of us. In the box of stuff were several muzzle loading items such as caps, short starter, spouts for powder flask and a nipple wrench. For all I know the wife may have dropped these items in the box after, all the man has been dead for six years. There were seven boxes of Hornaday bullets coated with molylube. As I recall they were 243. I never got into the moly fad.

redhawk0
02-18-2019, 06:07 PM
The rubber pieces may be for making a non-mar bench vise jaws....but its just a guess.

redhawk

rking22
02-18-2019, 06:26 PM
Lever for a breech seater maybe??? Casement window latch lever ???? Could the rubber items be vice jaw liners, perhaps?

GOPHER SLAYER
02-18-2019, 09:57 PM
I think you guys have nailed it. Vice jaw protectors. I will check tomorrow. If they are, I will put them to good use. Thanks

Moleman-
02-18-2019, 10:25 PM
http://www.moaguns.com/Images/GMORRIS8TW.jpg looks awfully close to the same lever.

Winger Ed.
02-18-2019, 10:56 PM
http://www.moaguns.com/Images/GMORRIS8TW.jpg looks awfully close to the same lever.

Good job!! No way it could be anything else....

Tom W.
02-18-2019, 11:10 PM
You beat me to it. But then again I didn't know what the name of the handgun was........

It's tough remembering stuff when you get old, but on the bright side a lot of things look new to you. Just Sunday Lori and I were going to Auburn for dinner and I questioned her as to where the road went. She looked at me quizzically and reminded me that we have been on that road hundreds of times.....
Just one of my frequent brain farts, I reckon......

rking22
02-19-2019, 12:12 AM
Yep, but kinda nice to be able to buy your own Christmas presents.....and still be supprised :hijack:

Markopolo
02-19-2019, 01:04 AM
Them 2 plastic pieces screw into a bench vice.. keep ya from denting wood... but they don’t work... ask me how I know

WheelgunConvert
02-19-2019, 01:23 AM
I was thinking it could be a claw machine arm, but Moleman seems to have nailed it. Soup for you!

lightman
02-19-2019, 10:33 AM
I guess we all are going to leave some unknown stuff behind someday. My Sons and my shooting buddies know what most of my stuff is and I have gotten better at record keeping. Labels on lead ingots, load data on ammo, ect. But we all have odd tools, parts, ect stored away someplace!

Since Christmas I have been aggressively trying to organize my brass stash. I have deprimed, tumbled and sorted most of my bottleneck cases and have resized, tumbled and sorted my straight wall cases. I have labeled the coffee cans with caliber, headstamp and the status, i.e. sized, deprimed ect.

I have told my friends and family to plan a week of vacation when I die so they can drink all of my beer and shoot all of my ammo! Not at the same time, of course!

Smoke4320
02-19-2019, 11:38 AM
I would concur that #2 are non mar vice jaws

GOPHER SLAYER
02-19-2019, 02:58 PM
Thanks Moleman and other friends on this site for giving me the answers. I have never seen a handgun like the one pictured. I will certainly never own one. We are all free to buy and shoot what we like but to me a handgun should not require a steady rest and a scope but that is just me. If you have the urge by all means go for it. Should anyone need the lever just let me know. It will only cost you the price of mailing. Marco Polo, I would like to hear about your bad experience with the soft jaws. It could save the some trouble.

gwpercle
02-19-2019, 03:26 PM

BINGO....we have a winner !

abunaitoo
02-19-2019, 05:23 PM
Sorry. didn't read the post correct.
The two on the bottom are rubber.
Can't be for the lathe part I was thinking of.
Jaws for a vise would be my guess also.

country gent
02-19-2019, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure on the rubber pieces being vise jaws since the bolt heads would still mar. I'm thinking a machine wiper or mount feet of some sort. On the levers I'm guessing window or sliding door latches