PDA

View Full Version : Improved Quality at Lee Precision?

Boerrancher
10-13-2008, 07:48 PM
As I have talked about on another thread I got a new Lee mould the other day, a 452-255-RF. When I examined it I was impressed at how well polished the two cavities were, unlike my other Lee moulds. I scrubbed the mould with Dawn and hot water, dried it with a paper towel, and then added a bit of Lyman black molly lube to the guide bars, alignment pins and sprue plate hinge. By the time my mould was ready so was my alloy. I filled the mould and dumped the sprues and the boolits in the sprue box, and started casting. I casted up 100 boolits real quick and had 100 perfect boolits. To top it off the boolits fell out of the mould when I opened it, no tapping on the handle hinge pin needed. These boolits do not look like they have been cast, no parting seam, no machine marks. Lee finally made one that required no Leeminting.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

DLCTEX
10-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Great! I hope this is an indication of most production now. DALE

Heavy lead
10-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Joe,
I just got that same mould a couple of weeks ago. I had the same happy experience is you, it drops boolits at 454, Lubrisized to 452 lubed with bac, shoots great with 8.4 grains of unique and no leading at all. Very happy with quality of the mould.

dwtim
10-13-2008, 08:58 PM
I've had a whole string of excellent Lee molds. Except the last one, which has me scratching my head. It looked great the day I got it, and when I went to cast with it, one half of one cavity had corroded and pitted. Figure that one out! This has never happened to my steel molds. Only the weird problems happen to me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I cast with it just the same, and although I haven't had a chance to try out a big batch of bullets, so far they do not seem to be adversely effected.

UPDATE: The mold was not defective. Chlorinated spray cleaner + carbon coating on Aluminum = etched metal. Goodbye, noxious chemicals, hello warm, soapy water.

Heavy lead
10-13-2008, 09:19 PM
I've had a couple bad ones, the worst was the 475-400 Lee. This boolit dropped about 395 from 20/1 and was huge. It dropped 481, well the grease grooves are so small on these moulds that the grease grooves (actually groovelets) were non existant, just gone. If there were something I could change about Lee's moulds in general is some real grease grooves. I'm not into LLA. But I'll tell you I sure like the 6 banger 452255.

dragonrider
10-13-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm hoping for improved speed also.[smilie=1:

Buckshot
10-14-2008, 02:08 AM
...............All the recent GB's seem to be coming in in really decent shape and very close, if not spot on for dimensions.

..................Buckshot

copdills
10-14-2008, 06:39 AM
this is good news to hear , Thanks