PDA

View Full Version : Herters Model 48/49 Lube sizer press

nvreloader
02-18-2019, 01:07 PM
Guys

I have a Herters lube sizer press Model 49,
with the following info cast into the frame on the left side = KE154D1 -2,
there is a Number 7 cast into the handle frame.

It has a .750" die hole, with a length that holds the size die at 1.400",
and at the bottom of this press, there is a threaded hole that is 7/8 -14 tpi,
for holding the depth adjustment rod..

There is .375" hole for the nose punch.

What I can't figure out is,
How is the sizing die held into the press,
the only SWAG I can come with is the sizing die, has a threaded die base to hold it into the press?

There is NO set screw or anything like that anywhere to hold the size die.

I did a search for this press, but found no photo's to confirm the ID.

Can anyone provide a photo or info on this press,
which is a Beast as compared to my Lyman 45 or Star press, it must weigh about 10#'s.

It would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,
Don

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-18-2019, 01:14 PM
Herter's Lubesizers:
Over the years, Herter's used three die styles that I know of, depending on who built them for Herters.
Some use a die similar to Lyman/RCBS and while they are different, are interchangeable.
There are some that use Saeco dies
and some that use a die similar to Saeco, but have different threads on the bottom, let's call it a proprietary Die.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-18-2019, 01:20 PM
While searching, I found these images of the one that uses the proprietary Die, but it's mentioned how to make a Saeco die work...but I'll bet it will cause a leaking issue to do so.
see post #10
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?2616-Herters-Waseca-Lube-Sizer&p=820210&viewfull=1#post820210

nvreloader
02-18-2019, 03:04 PM
JonB

Thank you,
Those photo's are a carbon copy of what I have.

So the size dies are/have a threaded nut to hold everything in the press, which is no problem on my end,
as I plan on turning dies to fit it, for my pellet sizer, (like the email I sent you for the Lyman I just finished up).

Do you have any SWAG as to the thread size those OEM dies used?
But, I don't think it would make a big difference as I can thread to whatever size I need.

This press is a beast as compared to the Lyman press. LOL,
And I won't have to worry about breaking/bending anything.
I have to figure out how to fix the slop/play in the Lyman pivot handle, on my press, as it is bad.

I don't know what type/brand of lube used, it was like black tar, and it was full,
took almost a hr to clean everything out/up, Yuk! using the heat gun to get it soft enough to get out.

Thank you,
Don

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-18-2019, 03:54 PM
I have no idea on thread size.

nvreloader
02-18-2019, 07:18 PM
Jonb

Thank you

Don

richhodg66
02-18-2019, 08:19 PM
I have two of these from my dad's stuff I haven't done anything with yet. Are they any better or worse than the equivalent Lymans? How hard are the sizer dies to find?

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Herter's Lubesizers:
Over the years, Herter's used three die styles that I know of, depending on who built them for Herters.
Some use a die similar to Lyman/RCBS and while they are different, are interchangeable.
There are some that use Saeco dies
and some that use a die similar to Saeco, but have different threads on the bottom, let's call it a proprietary Die.

I have two of these from my dad's stuff I haven't done anything with yet. Are they any better or worse than the equivalent Lymans? How hard are the sizer dies to find?

I believe all the different Herters lubesizers share the same design of the Saeco/Cramer as shown in the photo ...not really equivalent to any Lyman.
The Herters proprietary dies are near impossible to find. I hope you have the Herters models that take Lyman dies or Saeco dies.

nvreloader
02-19-2019, 12:16 PM
I checked my Herters and found that Lyman size dies fall completely thru the die sizing hole.
It measures a perfect .750" in diameter.

So, is this sizer the proprietary from Herters?

I don't have access to any Seaco/Cramer, to try them

Tia,
Don

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-19-2019, 01:09 PM
I checked my Herters and found that Lyman size dies fall completely thru the die sizing hole.
It measures a perfect .750" in diameter.

So, is this sizer the proprietary from Herters?

I don't have access to any Seaco/Cramer, to try them

Tia,
Don

Lyman/RCBS dies are .700"
Saeco dies are .687"

I don't know what the Herters proprietary dies are, but I bet that is what you are measuring.

nvreloader
02-19-2019, 03:48 PM
JonB

Thank you,
The info you provided, just about nails it down,
I have a Herters sizer that requires a .750" size die.

Tia,
Don

nvreloader
02-28-2019, 11:30 AM
Guys

Just an update on this Herters # 49 lube sizer,
finally got all the "yuk" clean out of it, and got it lubed at the pivot points,
I can't find any size dies for it yet, but still looking.

I did make a sizing die for in 22 cal, it's .750" diameter size die,
and takes a 5/8" x 18 tpi bottom threaded nut, on the bottom to hold the the die into the press.

This press is a beast for size and does a perfect job on sizing,
after I converted it over to the more common size dies that are available.

It is a better sizer than the Lyman I have, I am looking for a couple of others,
to convert over etc.

Thanks Guys.

Tia,
Don