PDA

View Full Version : New Wad punch tool...pretty cool

Markopolo
02-17-2019, 07:54 PM
Here is a pretty cool wad punching tool a guy up in Canada is producing.. looks like an oversized Gas Check Maker... punches all sorts of materiel...

https://youtu.be/FyDQRUyzo3Y

Just thought some of you BP folks might like this... and and roll crimper types could also find this useful.. I like the idea of having a full bore version, which he does make...

Marko

gpidaho
02-17-2019, 08:25 PM
Looks good. I'll buy one. Gp

William Yanda
02-17-2019, 10:48 PM
Is the guy making them to sell? How do I get in touch with him?

Idz
02-18-2019, 12:01 AM
I made a similar tool for punching felt wads for bp revolvers several years ago. The only difference was my punch was cut off square without the counterbore and knife edge. The knife edge probably isn't needed as the material is sheared and not cut.

bikerbeans
02-18-2019, 12:04 AM
Looks good. I'll buy one. Gp

gp,

Don't you buy one of every reloading gadget?:-D

BB

6pt-sika
02-18-2019, 12:39 AM
I’d be intrested in one for the 12 as well as another for the 10 and a third for the 16 .

DW475
02-18-2019, 03:35 AM
I like it!

rancher1913
02-18-2019, 06:43 AM
been looking to find how to purchase it and came up with an email

greg@tacticaladvantage.ca

havent tried it yet, was waiting until this afternoon.

Petander
02-18-2019, 08:40 AM
This might make sense.

I just bought a 250 pcs bag of 20 gauge felt wads for 43 euros plus shipping. A 250 box of factory trap ammo costs about 50 euros... so adding a felt to my "economy slugs" pretty much doubles the cost per round.

Markopolo
02-18-2019, 08:49 AM
Ok guys... here is where you get em....https://tatvcanada.com/

Let me know how you like em...,

Marko

William Yanda
02-18-2019, 10:07 AM
Ok guys... here is where you get em....https://tatvcanada.com/

Let me know how you like em...,

Marko

$90/95 each plus shipping seems steep until you look at the cost of commercial wads. 1/2 inch capacity for both the full size and overshot dies, apparently the difference is the diameter. I can see these in my RCBS press cranking out a box of wads in minimal time.

longbow
02-18-2019, 11:38 AM
I am liking that!

gpidaho
02-18-2019, 12:02 PM
gp,

Don't you buy one of every reloading gadget?:-D

BB BB: I do love my reloading gadgets! If I took in to account just how many wads I could buy for the price of getting set up with these in three gauges. Well, I'm not sure I have enough years left to make it work out. It does look like a very nice tool. If I come by some easy money (Hasn't happened yet. LOL) I 'll start with the 12ga. combo set. Gp

Reverend Al
02-18-2019, 02:43 PM
$90/95 each plus shipping seems steep until you look at the cost of commercial wads. 1/2 inch capacity for both the full size and overshot dies, apparently the difference is the diameter. I can see these in my RCBS press cranking out a box of wads in minimal time.

That is likely in Canadian dollars though, so with the Canadian / US exchange right now it will be a lot less for you folks "down South" ...

TNsailorman
02-18-2019, 04:04 PM
He has a little box that will convert Canadian dollars to US dollars for us "un-edumacated" types. james

Shawlerbrook
02-18-2019, 04:38 PM
$71.49 in US greenbacks.

Petander
02-18-2019, 05:06 PM
I can already see all these 1x10 meter cork, felt and paper rolls hanging around the house.

MOA
02-18-2019, 05:36 PM
It just got put on my list. Nice looking Paradox slug mold with 3 pins and the 12 ga wad punches all for 285.00 too.

MOA
02-18-2019, 05:39 PM
I can already see all these 1x10 meter cork, felt and paper rolls hanging around the house.

:happy dance::happy dance::happy dance:

megasupermagnum
02-18-2019, 09:00 PM
It makes perfect sense if you use a lot of cardboard, foam, or other free material. I'm not seeing cork for cheap enough to justify cutting your own, maybe if you manage to grab scraps from a carpenter?

6pt-sika
02-18-2019, 09:18 PM
Seems to me the “full size” 12 gauge oughtta be just about large enough for inside my 10 gauge hulls and it also seems to me the full size 20 gauge should be close enough for inside 16 gauge hulls .

slim1836
02-18-2019, 09:27 PM
I see some future venders coming soon.

Slim

Markopolo
02-18-2019, 09:28 PM
Felt is what I was thinking.. better then cork for lots of stuff.
I also like to punch stuff out of these semi firm foam disks.

But a die set like that gives ya lots of options.. all kinds of choices.. just need to decide which die to get first.. the full bore set would be my first choice.. ought to fit real nice into stuff like all brass shotshells.. all kinds of cool stuff. I really want one...

Marko

longbow
02-18-2019, 09:47 PM
If you want commercial wad diameters:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/pdfs/catalog/page_406.pdf
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/item.aspx/170/5
https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/making-wad-fillers-and-overshot-discs/

For full bore 12 ga. I've just used a 3/4" gasket punch. Haven't checked actual diameter but theoretically they are 0.010" over commercial card wad size. However, the work so I'm not too concerned.

I just made a punch at 0.672" (nominal 16 ga. wad size)for the Brenneke'ized Lee slugs. It is just like a typical gasket punch. Works fine for me.

Longbow

Markopolo
02-18-2019, 10:11 PM
LB, that is what I use now.. the steel punch’s from Harbor freight.. but boy that gets old.. I love the idea of having positive pressure like on a press.. so much more control I would think.

longbow
02-18-2019, 11:18 PM
No argument there but I'd need 2 ~ one for full bore 12 ga. and one for wad slugs (16 ga.). I'm afraid that $200.00 US for wad punches is off my to do list until I see some steady work again and even at that I have a rifled barrel to buy for my Mossberg Slugster and a few other odds and ends like washer and dryer need replacing, new to me truck (not new you understand), replacement trailer for our old beat up 1978 18 1/2' trailer and there's more! So wad punches, while those are really nice, are not on the menu for a bit unfortunately. Now, I might look at making something like that. More likely I'd go with a punch mounted in a drill press as next best thing. We'll see. I made a gas check maker that is pretty similar design but obviously punches smaller disks. I have the slitting saws and can do simple milling on my lathe. Hmmmm... yet another project I can start and not finish for several years!

Hey, if memory serves you bought one of those ACE 740 gr. slug moulds didn't you? If so how did it shoot for you? I always like to hear about other people's slug shooting and different types of slugs.

Longbow

Markopolo
02-19-2019, 12:19 AM
Yup... I got one.. at the time I still lived in serious Brown Bear country and was guiding salmon fisherman along spawning streams and rivers on the copper river delta. Yikes, I tell ya.. huge bears need big lead I figure. They are just spooky up close... that is where I took this pic...
What you don’t see in that pic just to the right off frame is the bears G-friend. She was relaxing after a long roll in the hay with that pumped up Giant.. that was the only reason I took that pic. They were pretty preoccupied.. he point being, no matter what you are carrying for bear protection can seem dang small depending on what your looking at. That slug is around 2oz. No matter what there is a recoil. I had visions of that being a great slug for the huge bears. Truth be known though, big giant slugs like that just slow things down in my opinion. You pull the trigger on 2oz packed with around 33gr os blue dot, it takes a bit longer to get things lined up again. While the size of the slug is awesome, not many shots on a large brownbear frontal assault are instant kills. Especially when you are rattled by the sheer size, claws, teeth, and hideous roaring of a mature brownie... enough to just plain rattle some folks. Not all shots are on perfect on target, so I thing you need to be ready to shoot until you are out of ammo or the bear stops moving. A famous bear guide I know always told me that when guiding for mature brownies, once the client takes the first shot, he shoots until the bear is down and stopped moving.. recovery is imperative. That big *** slug takes a moment longer to recover from.. at least for me. Rather shoot something I can continuously shoot on target.

I have sense moved to this island a few years ago, no brownies on Prince of Wales island.. big record blacks, but no brownies.. yes blackie kills too, but brownies just seem to know they can eat anything in the woods, but blackies are different in my experience. Blackies know they have to fight ya to kill ya.. there is no contest for a brownie, and most know it.

So I cast a bunch of them slugs.. played with them in brass shells with blue dot, herco, BP, and even tried that paradox load of unique.. in the end, it wasn’t what I needed, ate up a lot of lead per shot, and a lot of powder in a place where that stuff is pretty dear to me... I dontt shoot it. I have some loaded, and some extras, but when I saw that one sell a week ago and get bought by Leon, I thought about selling mine too.. maybe trading it for something in 303... we shall see.

Marko

W.R.Buchanan
02-19-2019, 04:47 AM
Dats a Bigass Bear! Sounds like and Auto Loader with about 8 Brenneke's might be in order.

Randy

MOA
02-19-2019, 05:55 AM
Sounds like one needs a nice 50 Alaskan on a AR platform.

Petander
02-19-2019, 07:30 AM
Now that's a one huge bear. Ours don't get that big. Considering how fast they are,if you need a third shot you're too late.

I found some felt rolls, 20cmx10 m,4mm thick for 13 euros. That makes at least 5000 wads.

Markopolo
02-19-2019, 11:55 AM
I like those hard backed felt sheets... they are a bit spendier but it’s what I like...

Petander
02-19-2019, 01:56 PM
I like those hard backed felt sheets... they are a bit spendier but it’s what I like...

Haven't found any like that,googling around here where I live.

But I like the whole DIY- idea a lot,it just feels good being self-contained. And I have friends who could use these,too. These look quality tools.

W.R.Buchanan
02-19-2019, 03:42 PM
I got one of the punches coming, we'll see how it works out. It looks nicely made and if I can use it in my Hand Press so much the better.

I got the smaller 12 ga one (not full bore) It cuts at .650 which is perfect for building wad columns so I can make wads that fit inside the shot cups and use as over shot cards.

I got sick of buying the wrong card wads.. I can make my own as needed and try different materials without buying bags of the wrong ones.

I really want to be able to cut up all the Coke Bottle Caps my wife saves to enter their stupid contest with Zero Odds of winning. She's literally got bags of them and they would look good on LB's Lee slugs as they are a pretty Red color.

Should be here soon as they use 3 day shipping.

Randy

Marko: The thing to do with your big slug mould is cast up about 50 of them and then sell it. Chances are you'd never shoot up 50 of them but you'd have the slugs to load as you saw fit and could sell the mould to buy something you can use more.

Markopolo
02-19-2019, 08:21 PM
I offered to trade it to Longbow for a certain 303 mold he has... haven’t heard from him yet though... I did cast a bunch and loaded a bunch of those slugs... it just sits there looking at me..

W.R.Buchanan
02-19-2019, 08:49 PM
it just sits there looking at me..

I have a Cat that does that. Randy

longbow
02-19-2019, 09:15 PM
I didn't get in on that group buy because I didn't think that slug was a good candidate for smoothbore. Also, I think the meplat is too much of a good thing much like the Lyman sabot slug. My opinion only.

What .303 mould do I have that you want? I don't recall discussing that trade but I have an old shriveled brain these days. No matter, none are for sale! I love my moulds! Even the cantankerous Lyman Foster mould and my Lyman 429421 that casts undersize (in WW anyway). The only mould I have parted with in about 40 years is my Lyman Maxi Ball mould and I gave that to a friend in North Carolina because he had a gun with 1:48" twist where mine is 1:66" so too slow for the 370 gr. boolit.

My favourite shotgun slug design is still the Dixie Tusker:

At 600 grs. it is a substantial slug but not so heavy as to be too hard on lead or the shoulder unless pushed hard. I recently sent the drawing to Tom at Accurate molds and he has added it to his catalogue:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=73-740TN-D.png

I was hoping he would state it was the Dixie design... almost anyway, he can't make the large groove so modified it to suit his tooling and he doesn't do HB pins. I figured it was keeping a bit of James around. I really like the slug and even though accuracy wasn't very good from my smoothbore (it is for rifled gun) they did fly nose on to 75 yards punching nice round holes. They were sized to 0.725" though and being shot from my 0.733" smoothbore so sloppy fit. Should be an excellent slug in rifled gun.

As for stopping power, Greg Sappington went to an extreme and had a mould made for 1000 gr. slug that he launched at 1100 FPS IIRC. He said at moderate velocity recoil wasn't bad but penetration was spectacular. Not sure at what velocity but he said it was tested at the Linebaugh seminar and it out penetrated everything there including big bore heavy duty rifles.

Here is a response on the testing from Todd Corder: https://www.shootersforum.com/shotguns-shotgunning-shotshell-reloading/47645-sappington-880-grain-1043-grain-slugs-tested.html:

https://www.shootersforum.com/shotguns-shotgunning-shotshell-reloading/47645-sappington-880-grain-1043-grain-slugs-tested.html

Also, another link to Shotgunworld with Greg's load data for your reference should you want to load heavy lead!

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=132539&start=15

But I digress (and ramble) yet again. Sorry! However, on topic is the fact that the recipe has card and cork wads that you could punch with one of these nice tools! Also on topic is that the Tusker requires built up wad columns that can be punched using one of these nice tools!

Longbow

RED BEAR
02-19-2019, 09:35 PM
Now thats a pretty slick punch. Sure beats the heck out of hammering them out one at a time.

RMc
02-20-2019, 02:39 AM
I didn't get in on that group buy because I didn't think that slug was a good candidate for smoothbore. Also, I think the meplat is too much of a good thing much like the Lyman sabot slug. My opinion only.

What .303 mould do I have that you want? I don't recall discussing that trade but I have an old shriveled brain these days. No matter, none are for sale! I love my moulds! Even the cantankerous Lyman Foster mould and my Lyman 429421 that casts undersize (in WW anyway). The only mould I have parted with in about 40 years is my Lyman Maxi Ball mould and I gave that to a friend in North Carolina because he had a gun with 1:48" twist where mine is 1:66" so too slow for the 370 gr. boolit.

My favourite shotgun slug design is still the Dixie Tusker:

At 600 grs. it is a substantial slug but not so heavy as to be too hard on lead or the shoulder unless pushed hard. I recently sent the drawing to Tom at Accurate molds and he has added it to his catalogue:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=73-740TN-D.png

I was hoping he would state it was the Dixie design... almost anyway, he can't make the large groove so modified it to suit his tooling and he doesn't do HB pins. I figured it was keeping a bit of James around. I really like the slug and even though accuracy wasn't very good from my smoothbore (it is for rifled gun) they did fly nose on to 75 yards punching nice round holes. They were sized to 0.725" though and being shot from my 0.733" smoothbore so sloppy fit. Should be an excellent slug in rifled gun.

As for stopping power, Greg Sappington went to an extreme and had a mould made for 1000 gr. slug that he launched at 1100 FPS IIRC. He said at moderate velocity recoil wasn't bad but penetration was spectacular. Not sure at what velocity but he said it was tested at the Linebaugh seminar and it out penetrated everything there including big bore heavy duty rifles.

Here is a response on the testing from Todd Corder: https://www.shootersforum.com/shotguns-shotgunning-shotshell-reloading/47645-sappington-880-grain-1043-grain-slugs-tested.html:

https://www.shootersforum.com/shotguns-shotgunning-shotshell-reloading/47645-sappington-880-grain-1043-grain-slugs-tested.html

Also, another link to Shotgunworld with Greg's load data for your reference should you want to load heavy lead!

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=132539&start=15

But I digress (and ramble) yet again. Sorry! However, on topic is the fact that the recipe has card and cork wads that you could punch with one of these nice tools! Also on topic is that the Tusker requires built up wad columns that can be punched using one of these nice tools!

Longbow

Your links will not work.

Markopolo
02-20-2019, 03:47 AM
Sure they do???? I didn’t have any trouble with the links... I did read where the recoil was enough to split the skin over his collarbone??? Yikes...

John Boy
02-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Downside of the press cutter ... your material has to cut in strips. Otherwise it just punches the edge of the material. IMO, a dead blow hammer and hand punch works equally as well

Markopolo
02-20-2019, 11:08 AM
I was thinking, Go down one side, then cut the side off, leaving another edge, kinda like I do when cutting gas checks. I just make the punches close together.

fralic76
02-23-2019, 09:31 PM
Been thinking about ordering but cost is around $100 CDN.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

W.R.Buchanan
02-24-2019, 04:48 PM
But you can make wads for the rest of your life!

Mine should be here soon. Expedited shipping from Canada is not all that, and mine shipped last Wednesday. Supposed to have been 3 days for $22 CDN

Total in USD was $83.

Luckily I am working on refinishing the gun right now so it is not all that bad that it isn't here yet.

Randy

Petander
02-24-2019, 06:46 PM
Here where I live,very few people load for shotguns. So even the wads are imported.

When you add $10 shipping to this it makes 52 euros, almost 60 USD for 250 felt wads. I fired about 150 slugs last week for testing purposes only... and tungsten loads need filler wads everywhere... so money-wise this punch thing is a no-brainer for me. When one felt wad costs the same as powder...

longbow
02-24-2019, 11:01 PM
Randy:

With your machining skills can I ask why you didn't make one yourself?

I'm kinda thinking of that. I like the tool but for my use I'd like the punch to include a center "needle" to make a dead center hole for screws. That mod could likely be done for the tool you are buying too though without an "anvil" the needle might not penetrate.

Having shot my Brenneke'ized Lee slugs today and having poor 50 meter groups I am thinking the slightly irregular edges from using a gasket punch may be contributing to uneven air flow/drag. A better wad punch certainly wouldn't hurt.

Longbow

W.R.Buchanan
02-25-2019, 04:25 AM
I couldn't make one this nice for the $83 it cost me. If the needle was sharp it would go thru before the wad was punched out and wouldn't really need an Anvil as the material would be stiff enough to resist deflection.

I thought about making one, but I have a firm rule not to reinvent the wheel.

Besides I am knee deep in work right now which actually pays.

Mine should be here soon.

Randy

Petander
03-05-2019, 06:35 PM
I just spent half an hour,trying to order.

No matter what I do, can not choose any country on that page. No address,no order. Couldn't check shipping charges either for the same reason.

longbow
03-05-2019, 10:11 PM
Hmmmm.... I was just punching wads with my very manual gasket punch and am now rethinking these very mice wad punches.

My next go at Brenneke'ized slugs is felt wads screwed onto bore diameter slugs to eliminate the wad issue. My TC slugs cast at 0.729"/0.730" so are perfect for the Slugster. They are a bit small in my fat bored single shot. As an HB slug they shot not bad but nothing to write home about but that was from a 0.733" bore so they are a bit of a rattle fit.

One of these wad punches would make it so much easier to punch out a whack of wads even if I had to center punch through for screw later.

They're pricey but nice! And when I say pricey I don't mean to say over priced... I am just cheap! I am sure they are good value for the money.

Longbow