PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Handles for H&G 4-cav Mould

georgerkahn
02-17-2019, 07:20 PM
Title says it all :) -- I'm in want of a set of handles for a four cavity Hensley & Gibbs mould. I have a RCBS handle set which would work if it was just a tad thinner -- but, I'd druther get one which was made for the mould than spend waaaay too much time with a file, grinder, or convert my Unimat to mill (works, but a pia).

If you have one -- cash is the commodity for trade.

Thanks very much!
geo

sagamore-one
02-17-2019, 07:44 PM
Hey George,
Just a reminder that H&G utilized different thicknesses of 4 cavity mould handle metal.... some thick, some thin. You need to mike (measure) to determine which you need for your particular set of blocks. I have an extra set that mike .310 thick.
Not trying to stir controversy..... Just trying to save you some aggravation.

georgerkahn
02-17-2019, 09:37 PM
Thank you sagamore-one! To be OCD, I took a picture of the mould with a set of calipers inserted, and I get a reading of ~0.2700", + or - 0.0010". Most sadly yours may be too thick for me. However, I'm hoping -- thanks again to you -- someone may have one which will work on my mould!
geo 236242

jsizemore
02-18-2019, 01:22 AM
This might help;

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/casting/newvsoldhandles.htm

jsizemore
02-18-2019, 01:38 AM
I just remembered that I had to get a set of the .25" handles for a set of mold blocks. Those handles were produced for an extended period. I had to fit the handles to the mold. I had to file some clearance where the handles and the end of the mold are closest to the hinge bolt. It wasn't a bunch but they sure made those "skinny" handles a chore to cut with a file. I used another mold as a guide for the necessary clearance.

I just had to have the plain and bevel base version of a boolit to compare. They shoot about the same by the way.

georgerkahn
02-21-2019, 08:09 AM
Kind of a Thursday morning bump on this -- in hopes (please?) someone may look in their stores, and come across a surplus set of handles...
Thank you, and BEST!
geo

40-82 hiker
02-21-2019, 10:06 AM
Georgerkahn,

I used a right-angle grinder to thin a set of handles for my 4-cavity H&G#50. It only took a few minutes. Go easy and careful, and test often.

I don't have an extra set of handles to make you one, or I'd be at it this AM. I can't remember which brand of handles I used, as it's been 5 or 6 years, and they are in my workshop. I'll take a gander after I'm up and about.

I'd go ahead and have at it with your RCBS handles if in all other respects they would work (sic, the bolt hole is appropriate for the mold - I don't have any RCBS handles to pass judgement).

Please PM me if I can help.

Bob