PDA

View Full Version : Suppressed Pistols with Cast Boolits

TXCOONDOG
02-17-2019, 11:05 AM
Considering buying a 45 Auto with a threaded barrel and running it suppressed.

Leaning towards an M&P mainly because I shoot them well but will consider others.

1. Any boolit mold recommendations?
2. Look for suppressor recommendations preferably something that I take a part and clean.
3. Will I need to run a heavier recoil spring ?

Feel free to post any leasons learned, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Catshooter
02-18-2019, 02:45 AM
I don't see which boolit making any differences. Lead will deposit itself into the insides of the unit. A lot of suppressors these days are made of aluminum and/or titanium. Both of which a bit of a trial to clean. Stainless steel can use "The Dip" (half vinegar/half hydrogen peroxide) which dissolves lead nicely but can't be used with al or ti. It literally eats leading off of stainless, but then forms lead acetate (?) which is poisonous and so you need to handle it appropriately.

I would absolutely only buy a suppressor that I can disassemble. If there wasn't a $200 tax a nearly a years wait that'd be different.

I'm definitely a cast boolit guy, but I have decided to use Berrys' in my cans just for ease of cleaning. Or be prepared to clean.

Cat

rancher1913
02-18-2019, 06:47 AM
cast boolits and suppressors dont play well together, it can be done but is a lot of work and a pita.

Loudenboomer
02-18-2019, 08:54 AM
Cat
As long as proper plated bullet loading technique is used do you find suppressor stays free from copper and lead?

umwminer
02-18-2019, 10:22 AM
Plated shouldnt make your can any “heavier”.
With cast , at least in my experience , lead isnt the real problem , lube is .

lefty o
02-18-2019, 11:28 AM
shooting lead thru a compensator is bad enough, i dont even want to think about the mess in a supressor.

SvenLindquist
02-18-2019, 11:32 AM
I've shot 1000s in my 45ACP Kimber suppressed w/GEMTECH.

FMJ, PC, plated, lubed, they all work fine.

I clean every 500 or so using the GEMTECH video as "how to".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mkRbHOWjGI

NoZombies
02-18-2019, 11:37 AM
I've run a LOT of lead bullets through suppressors. Get a can you can clean. Shoot 200-300 rounds, clean. repeat. Lifetime of fun, and not having to use hearing protection.

reddog81
02-18-2019, 02:39 PM
I've run hundreds of powder coated bullets maybe even 1,000+ through my 9mm AAC Illusion. I've also shot some lead .22 lr's through it without issue.

I have no interest at all running lead lubed bullets through any suppresor. I wouldn't be too worried about the lead deposits but the lube would get baked into every single nook and cranny. A suppressor that can be taken apart and cleaned is great, but if every part of the suppressor is glued and baked together have fun getting it apart.

dragon813gt
02-18-2019, 02:51 PM
shooting lead thru a compensator is bad enough, i dont even want to think about the mess in a supressor.

Then don’t ever shoot a 22lr though a silencer. As long as it’s serviceable it’s not an issue. And if it’s a sealed can there’s always “the dip”. I’m in no way saying anyone should use that method since the byproduct is highly toxic. But it will clean a sealed silencer.

All of mine can be taken apart for cleaning. I would not think of owning any other type of you’re going to shoot cast through one.

Catshooter
02-19-2019, 01:52 AM
Yes I do loudenboomer. Plated keeps the can lead free.

Cat