PDA

View Full Version : Enfield

Taylor
02-16-2019, 07:30 AM
Saw one in a gun shop yesterday. Two places on the stock were wrapped in copper wire. My first thought....it's broke. They said it was for when a grenade launcher was used. Any thoughts?

john.k
02-16-2019, 07:51 AM
True .it what was known as an EY rifle.........and the copper wire is to stop fragments flying if it bursts firing grenades.Each one of the Ford tracked carriers had one EY rifle ,and one Bren or Lewis gun.

Shawlerbrook
02-16-2019, 09:23 AM
If original very collectible.
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/73/507/enfield-no-1-mk-iii-rifle-303-british

bob208
02-16-2019, 10:16 AM
grenade rifle.

gwpercle
02-16-2019, 11:33 AM
How much are they asking for it ?

Texas by God
02-16-2019, 01:57 PM
I remember when they cost less than other Lee enfields because no one wanted those ugly things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Taylor
02-16-2019, 05:05 PM
I didn't pat attention to the price as a young soldier was putting it on lay-a-way. Was a new thing to me.

leebuilder
02-16-2019, 05:46 PM
I remember they were 45.00, and we didn't even look twice at them. I am only aware of them coming from India, I would check the headspace and crown. We had competitions years ago with the mills bomb launchers and potatos, the grenade launcher ammo was WW1 dated you would go thru 50 or so to get 6 good ones.
Correct me if I am wrong but they used a rod integral with the launcher, the rod was on the bore about 20 plus inches, I assume that's why the stock was reinforced.
Be well

john.k
02-16-2019, 07:46 PM
I think part of the idea of supplying dedicated EY rifles ,was that the troops wouldnt wreck good rifles by using their own issue guns to shoot grenades.......The EY guns were made from worn out,pitted bore guns in WW2,but after the war,sometimes new guns were wire wound for the purpose and used for training.......At one time it was common to "unwind " the EY guns so they could be sold,not that they were worth much,cause they are still marked EY.

gnoahhh
02-17-2019, 01:02 PM
20-30 years ago we avoided those EY guns like the plague. A local shop had one on the rack at a giveaway price that languished for years. He ended up giving it to me and I promptly cannibalized it for the couple of good parts it had on it. Now they're getting "collecible"? Smack my head in wonder.

Hardcast416taylor
02-17-2019, 01:37 PM
I believe it was at least 30 years back that a neighbors kid got one of these and really `chopped sportering` it! Don`t recall him ever bragging on its accuracy with factory ammo.Robert

leadhead
02-17-2019, 09:53 PM
I remember getting them at springfield sporters for $60 and they threw
in the grenade cup for free. My buddy bought one and took all the wire
wrap off it.... It turned out nice and it shoot great with cast bullets.
He gave it to his son, and I got the grenade cup for $1.00 ... still have it.
Denny

3006guns
02-20-2019, 09:57 AM
My old mentor back in the eighties picked up an Enfield with the grenade wrapping.........downright ugly to my eyes. I asked him why he bought it and he replied "Look closer......" I still didn't see anything special, until he pointed out that the date on the wrist piece was 1905 (if I remember correctly), the "ER" stamping (Edward Rexus), the rear sight knobs were ivory and it had a magazine cutoff still in the rifle. It was a No.1 Mk.1........a bit rare, even back then.

When he passed away that rifle was not to be found in his effects......gone.