PDA

View Full Version : Resharpen trimmers

Wally
10-13-2008, 11:00 AM
I have used a Forster & Lee trimmers for years. After so many trimmings both no longer cut all that well, so I have delevoped a pretty good system to reshapen them. The cutter edges have an angled edge..with many trimmings the edge of the cutter gets dull. I insert a screw or a nail in the center hole of the cutter to use as a guide. I then take a fine silicon carbide (SC) sharpening stone and hold it at a 10° angle, pointing dowward from the edge of the cutter "blade". I use 5~10 strokes and move onto the next one (there are four)..the "secert" is to hold the same angle and to use the same no. of strokes on each. One can also use a whetstone to polish after so many cuttings..by doing so you don't have to use SC stone. It is amazing how much nicer and clean they cut after sharpening them!

Buckshot
10-14-2008, 03:14 AM
..............Wally, that's an excellent tip. Thanks for passing it along! Usually 3-4 passes will take care of it too. Making another half dozen passes to make it 'Mo-Betta' will probably make it more worser :-)

..............Buckshot

bcp477
10-14-2008, 08:11 PM
I have been sharpening my Lee Precision trimmers for years...I simply use a large, flat, circular, fine grade stone in my Dremel.....and grind all four of the cutters at the same time. I don't hold the stone at an angle - I just use the flat face (or side) of the stone. A couple of seconds of contact with the stone is all that is required. Then, I de-burr the edges (very carefully) with a small, fine, flat file. Works every time.