PDA

View Full Version : Bustible Bullseyes

Bent Ramrod
02-13-2019, 10:39 PM
Or should they be called "Boolseyes?"

This was a praiseworthy effort by the NRA, way back when, to reduce the number of broken windows, shot-up cans and bottles, and smashed powerline insulators by substituting an inexpensive and fairly innocuous breakable target in its place. It was hoped that reducing the mess left by the slobs would be one less reason for the average voter to dislike guns and demand more restrictions.

This box seems to be fairly complete, with instructions, price list and a pamphlet with a plug for the NRA. The Bustible Bullseye appears to be made of the same stuff clay pigeons are made of, with the NRA logo embossed on the front. It was about the size of a poker chip, and had a hole so it could be hung on a nail and a wire to push into a cardboard backing, if that setup was desired. I recall the name, vaguely, but don't know the time period and never saw any before this box showed up. Another Gun Show souvenir that came cheap, so I "had to have" it.

235963 235964

country gent
02-14-2019, 11:53 AM
We used to use the neco candy wafers for targets growing up nice size and when hit solid was a nice little dust cloud. A lot of targets in one of those tubes or wafers LOL. If we were showing off asprin tablets were used. LOL

TNsailorman
02-14-2019, 12:12 PM
yep! I have used Neco Wafers since the 60's. They are getting harder to find now. Very cheap targets and they are bio-degradable too. A rain or two and they are gone. I have a 2x4 about 2 feet long that I have routed slots in to set the wafers into. Works like a charm. james

Kenstone
02-14-2019, 01:58 PM
We used to use the neco candy wafers for targets growing up nice size and when hit solid was a nice little dust cloud. A lot of targets in one of those tubes or wafers LOL. If we were showing off asprin tablets were used. LOL

Yes, and cheap generic Ritz Crackers work well too, pinched in a row of clothes pins(some will remember these) nailed/screwed to a board.
And birds get to eat them after you're gone.
Anything that keeps a new(young) shooter's interest works for me.

A DIY self resetting target:
Love this one but don't know who makes it:
;-)

country gent
02-14-2019, 03:35 PM
We had several 1X2 with a slot milled in it and a cover . I believe it held 10 or 15 of the neco wafers in it the bottom wafer was visible. When you broke it the next dropped down into view. Worked good and saved trips down range. Aspirins we set in blind holes in a black painted 1X2 It didn't last near as long though. Seeing that puff of dust when hit was rewarding, and taught you follow thru if you wanted to see it.

dbosman
02-14-2019, 07:26 PM
For outdoors, ice balls "cast" in balloons. I make them about three inches using the cheapest balloons I can find. Take them to the range in a pre-cooled ice chest. Peal the balloon off when you place them so you have no plastic to clean up.

Silvercreek Farmer
02-14-2019, 10:59 PM
For outdoors, ice balls "cast" in balloons. I make them about three inches using the cheapest balloons I can find. Take them to the range in a pre-cooled ice chest. Peal the balloon off when you place them so you have no plastic to clean up.

Makes me think a bottle shaped Popsicle mold would be fun!

A few years back, we pulled 2 inch thick slabs of ice off of a stock tank after a cold spell. Let the kids shoot at it with their BB guns. If your were careful, you could chip it down to nothing a bit at at a time by hitting the edges. Hit it towards the center too many times and it would shatter. Great fun and no cleanup!

Walks
02-14-2019, 11:24 PM
TNsailorman,

My DAD did the same for us, growing up back in the '60's, except ours was 6ft long and had a 45 degree steel strip epoxied to the front. had a stand for it too. The Old Man was a Regular Wizard with a ShopSmith.

Winger Ed.
02-14-2019, 11:32 PM
We had a big bag of 'Army Men' for our BB gun sniper training.

Our BB guns weren't powerful enough to kill them.
But being wounded, we had shoot them over and over.

I can't remember who, but somebody made plastic clay pigeons that came apart when ya hit them,
and they'd snap back together.

beagle
02-15-2019, 10:31 PM
I'll second the Neco Wafers. Used them many times. One time in the Army, I had a Benjamin .177 and we were in this huge vehicle maintenance bay between projects for several months. I brought the pellet rifle in and we'd glue salt tablets to a piece of cardboard with a slanted plywood backup. We spent many hours busting salt tablets with that little gun. Ideal targets and they were cheap./beagle

yep! I have used Neco Wafers since the 60's. They are getting harder to find now. Very cheap targets and they are bio-degradable too. A rain or two and they are gone. I have a 2x4 about 2 feet long that I have routed slots in to set the wafers into. Works like a charm. james