PDA

View Full Version : Is the type of Lube critical when using the Stat Lubsizer?

Jimlakeside
10-13-2008, 09:05 AM
I throughly cleaned the used Star Lubesizer I purchased off ebay, bought the "special" die removal tool, cleaned the die and plugged all of the holes except the top row. I am using the White Label lube, BC (50/50 bees wax and Carnauba Red). Lube get everywhere, accumulates on the nose of the boolit.

Any suggestions what I can do to cut down on the excess lube? I don't think I have too much pressure on the lube, because sometimes I have to rerun the boolit through the sizer to get the lube groove filled-out.

Thanks,

Jim

billyb
10-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Jim i use a star. Do the lube holes line up with the lube grove? With mine i leve the middle row of holes open. I used rooster labs zambini lube at first, very hard needs heat, worked good, but i now use lars carnuba red. I had the same problem with both lubes. I backed off the pressure, adjusted the bullet punch and adjusted the heat down until i got better results. I was getting quite a bit of lube on the nose of the boolets. I just fiddled with the thing until i got better results. Bill

Jimlakeside
10-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Do the lube holes line up with the lube grove?

I think I know what you mean here and I am pretty sure they do.

I am happy to hear that you use Carnauba Red, because this is what I really like. I will try leaving the middle rows vacant and try that.

Thanks

mtgrs737
10-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Bullet not lined up with the lube holes, too much spring pressure on the lube reseviour so that the lube is moving through the holes when not blocked by a bullet, if you are using a heater it may be too hot causing the lube to squirt though the holes when no bullet is there to stop it. Try backing off the spring screw, cooling the unit down if using a heater. You will find a happy medium with trial and error. I have found that the air cylinder up grade takes care of the over pressure condition in the lube reseviour and a adjustable heater keeps the lube the correct consistancy to make the star luber work like the champ it is.

BD
10-13-2008, 12:06 PM
There are two things which affect the lube supply on the Star. One is the pressure on the resevoir, the other is the pump. The pressure on the resevoir only wants to be enough to keep the lube supplied to the pump, otherwise it will push lube through the pump and out the holes in the die any time they are not blocked by the bullet. The pump is actuated by the handle at the end of it's stroke, and the amount pumped can be adjusted by turning in or out on the bolt the handle bottoms against. the balance is more something that you get used to, rather than something that can be quantified empirically. It all depends on the bullet design, lube hardness and temperature.
BD

cajun shooter
10-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Jim, I'm using the BAC lube in my Star without a problem. Do you have a set of instructions? It sounds as if your bullet is not lined up with the lubegrove and that you need to adjust the punch. The BAC works great and requires no heat or any air to work in your Star. Take Care

Echo
10-14-2008, 12:54 PM
You can splot shot into some of the holes in the sizing die to close them off, keping unwanted lube off the boolit - Star recommends this procedure. Then adjusting the nose punch can make the lube go where you want it, and NOT go where you don't want it.

Down South
10-14-2008, 03:03 PM
I’ve also found that if the boolit is .001” or so smaller than the sizing die then lube will creep around the driving bands causing the same problem.

crabo
10-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Check and see if the lube gets on the nose right after you add tension. If so, you are adding too much pressure. I add tension when the handle is down, not up. It works as a stop.

Once you get it where you want it, measure and write down you punch height so you can return to it quickly.

AzShooter
10-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Get a punch for each die like I did from Lathesmith. Then get extra nuts and set them up. When you change dies change the punch with the new nut and everything will be

If you are getting lube on the nose of the bullet it's because the bullet in the die is too low and lube is coming out behind the base and going on the nose of the next bullet. Took me a while to figure that out.

I only have one die that I use the first hole on top of the die. To use that my punch can only be .49 inches long so it had to be specially made or the nut would not be fitting on the screwed shank.

Hope this helps.

Shotgun Luckey
10-19-2008, 11:31 PM
I think I know what you mean here and I am pretty sure they do.

to properly line up the lube groove with the lube holes in the die:

1 remove the die from the machine and clean off the lube so you can see the lube holes

2 with your caliper, measure from the top of the die to the center of the open lube hole you are using. write that number down.

3 measure from the base of your bullet (assuming you are lubing nose first) to the center of the lube grove. write this number down

4 subtract the number you found in step 3 from the number you got in step #2. write this number down

5 install the die and punch in the machine and size 1 boolit, leaving it in the die. measure from the top of the die to the top of the boolit. (you can use the "end" of you caliper to measure this...that is why there is that small piece that sticks out of the end of the caliper when you open the jaws)

6 you need to adjust the punch so that the distance from the top of the die to the base of your boolit is the distance you calculated in step #4

7 once you have the puch set, lock it in place with the jam nut and double check your adjustment.

Magma has a little different way of achieving the same thing at:

http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_sizer_bullet_punch_settings.pdf

but this is the way I learned...Hope it helps..

Jimlakeside
10-20-2008, 09:01 AM
If you are getting lube on the nose of the bullet it's because the bullet in the die is too low and lube is coming out behind the base and going on the nose of the next bullet. Took me a while to figure that out.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. AxShooter may have identified my problem. When the boolit comes out it has a glob of lube just on one side. I bet it is because the die is too low allowing lube to creep out between boolits. I will also contact Lathesmith for a punch.

By the way I am using the MakeMineA10MM group buy mold. Love the boolit.

Thanks again for the help.

Shotgun Luckey
10-20-2008, 11:54 AM
some good information on adjusting and using the Star

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34272

ddeaton
10-27-2008, 08:48 PM
so what is the best lube and where to get it. I am going to purchase a magma sizer and just getting started

AzShooter
10-27-2008, 08:56 PM
http://www.lsstuff.com/

I'm using the 2500 lube and love it. Really works great in my Star. You can order and tell them you have a Star and they will send you lube without the hole in the middle so you get more for the same price.

ddeaton
10-27-2008, 09:05 PM
what is the best formula for 45 acp? Does the beeswax 50/50 work in the sizer.

AzShooter
10-27-2008, 10:13 PM
50/50 works fine