PDA

View Full Version : New 9mm pistol

Ickisrulz
02-13-2019, 12:35 PM
Per dragon813gt's favorable comments, I went ahead and put together an AR 9mm with a Stern Defense upper and adapter. I went with a Beretta 92 adapter as I have no Glocks. This things runs very well. I put 150 rounds through it and had no problems at all. I am pleased.

BigAlofPa.
02-13-2019, 12:46 PM
NICE! I like it.

dragon813gt
02-13-2019, 01:45 PM
Are you running a standard buffer? Mine ran fine w/ one but I swapped it out for a heavy for longevity. Their parts are one of the few brands where I have nothing negative to say. I usually find fault in everything. But there’s nothing to complain about when the mag adapter can be removed in five seconds and the upper works w/ standard lower parts.

I have off next Monday and assuming the water holds out I will be taking mine to the range. It’s a lot of fun but it does eat through some ammo. I have some 33rd mags now so the ammo will disappear even quicker [emoji2]

Ickisrulz
02-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Are you running a standard buffer? Mine ran fine w/ one but I swapped it out for a heavy for longevity. Their parts are one of the few brands where I have nothing negative to say. I usually find fault in everything. But there’s nothing to complain about when the mag adapter can be removed in five seconds and the upper works w/ standard lower parts.

I have off next Monday and assuming the water holds out I will be taking mine to the range. It’s a lot of fun but it does eat through some ammo. I have some 33rd mags now so the ammo will disappear even quicker [emoji2]

To avoid any potential issues, I used an H3 buffer which is recommended by Stern. I am amazed how far this setup kicks the brass.

dragon813gt
02-13-2019, 04:20 PM
To avoid any potential issues, I used an H3 buffer which is recommended by Stern. I am amazed how far this setup kicks the brass.

I haven’t seen how far it throws them. I have a brass catcher that I attach to the top rail. Now I have to take it off just to see.

pretzelxx
02-14-2019, 02:47 AM
No need a tax stamp when it has a pistol brace. That buttstock is not a stock but a forearm brace per the ATF. which they also added that it can indeed be shouldered.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Tackleberry41
02-14-2019, 08:56 AM
Even a heavy buffer isn't really enough in the 9mm, why it throws the brass so far. Mine still cycles with an 11ounce buffer in it.

asmith80
02-14-2019, 09:58 AM
A pistol brace has velcro straps on it with the intention of strapping it to your forearm for stability. There are also a few without straps that you're supposed to brace against your forearm for the same reason. That's basically it. They can be adjustable just like a regular AR15 stock, and I think the ATF said definitively that it's ok to shoulder them like a stock, so why you'd bother with all the SBR hassle is beyond me

I've also got one of the Stern Defense upper kits and I really like it. I went with the 16" barrel just for kicks. The only issue I've had is the cheapo Korean 50 round drum I got is a really tight fit in the mag well. I need to sand on it some more to get it to go in without banging on it. Other than that, it takes every Glock mag I own, even the Magpul ones

dragon813gt
02-14-2019, 02:33 PM
This is a KAK Shockwave Blade pistol brace. It’s not fun to shoulder. When you step up to the SB Tactical braces they are more comfortable. But you pay a premium for it.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1740/27548151567_357690b890_b.jpg

As w/ anything the ATF can change their position at anytime. They can’t change the NFA on a whim. So there’s a little more security in a SBR staying legal than a pistol brace. And no matter what, do not modify a brace in anyway shape or form. Don’t even stick a piece of scotch tape on it. The ATF could consider that piece a modification which now means you committed a felony.

asmith80
02-14-2019, 02:40 PM
As w/ anything the ATF can change their position at anytime. They can’t change the NFA on a whim. So there’s a little more security in a SBR staying legal than a pistol brace. And no matter what, do not modify a brace in anyway shape or form. Don’t even stick a piece of scotch tape on it. The ATF could consider that piece a modification which now means you committed a felony.

That's a good point. If it comes with a velcro strap, it's supposed to have a velcro strap on it when firing it, no matter if you shoulder it or not.

I've got one of these on a 300 blk pistol and it's adjustable like a regular stock, and pretty comfortable to shoulder. It wasn't as expensive as paying for the SBR stamp, but it wasn't super cheap either
https://i.ibb.co/q9hyT7P/A3-Closed-Left-5661-EDITFLAT-ghosted60-Nov-Rev-web.jpg (https://ibb.co/L6BkVY2)

Ickisrulz
02-14-2019, 04:03 PM
I paid $129.99 (minus 5% coupon) for the SBA3 from Optics Planet with free shipping. It came with a receiver extension. I didn't think that was too expensive.

dragon813gt
02-14-2019, 05:40 PM
KAK Shockwave Blades are $40 and a MOE CTR Buttstock is $35. There’s a premium on the SBA brace. If I didn’t have a SBR I would consider buying one. But I’m not willing to pay that much for an AR buttstock. I know a lot of people are happy w/ theirs and that’s all that matters.

Ickisrulz
02-14-2019, 06:49 PM
One advantage of the SBA3 is that it uses a standard receiver extension. This is good for people with registered SBRs who would like to travel with it. Just slip on a brace and you can go places you might not be able to if there are prohibitions on SBRs. Of course, I read that the gun would have to have been constructed as a pistol first. People do this while waiting for tax stamps to be approved.

I've never used a Shockwave brace, but they look uncomfortable; even if a good buy.

Idaho45guy
02-15-2019, 05:22 AM
Great thread and nice looking "pistol"!

Been trying to buy the Extar EP9 that is the current rage, but you only have a minute or so once they show in stock on their website. Price on those is $419 plus $20 shipping, plus FFL transfer fee of $15 at my dealer.

Started looking at other options and the newest version that PSA sells is getting good reviews and is slightly larger and about $100 more.

They also sell the complete lowers, lower kits, and uppers.

Looked at the AR pistols, and with the desired barrel length of 8", the 5.56 loses a lot of energy and gains a lot of muzzle blast. It makes the firearm also quite a bit larger and sort of defeats my purpose of having a very compact weapon with a lot of capacity and the smaller the better.

So, not sure which way to go in order to build one or buy a complete one and keep it under the $600 budget limit.

Handloader109
02-15-2019, 01:34 PM
Interesting and UGLY pistol btw. (extar) I've shot a CMMG banshee with 4" and shockwave brace. Darn I don't like the brace. I'd be tempted to remove and just wrap the tube like my 300BO.
Can't shoulder with hearing muffs anyway. Oh, the cheapest banshee is about $1200. way more expensive

Ickisrulz
03-13-2019, 03:11 PM
I changed my buffer from an H3 Carbine to a solid extended length 9mm buffer (4 inches/8.5 ounces). I didn't want any broken parts and the extra length is supposed to help prevent that. Now my brass ejects much closer and the gun still runs perfectly.