PDA

View Full Version : Views on best priming system?

AnthonyB
02-12-2019, 01:24 AM
I have been using the RCBS hand primer for many years and think I have finally worn it out. Primed some 44 Specials today and couldn’t get the primers seated deeply enough to keep cases from dragging when the cylinder rotated. I seated them more fully using the 550 but don’t want to go that route for all primers. What tools do you guys recommend?
Tony

Fishoot
02-12-2019, 01:39 AM
I have been using the RCBS hand primer for many years and think I have finally worn it out. Primed some 44 Specials today and couldn’t get the primers seated deeply enough to keep cases from dragging when the cylinder rotated. I seated them more fully using the 550 but don’t want to go that route for all primers. What tools do you guys recommend?
Tony

Call or email RCBS. They will send you a new one. Best customer service I know of.

toallmy
02-12-2019, 07:25 AM
I once made a mistake trying to put large rifle primers in 44 brass with a lee hand held primer .

winelover
02-12-2019, 07:40 AM
RCBS bench mounted priming system.............

Winelover

GhostHawk
02-12-2019, 08:08 AM
I now have 2 RCBS Universal hand primers. So one is setup for large, other for small. No more changing, fussing, losing parts.

I have yet to find a tool better made, that does a better job for a better price.

I do tend to do smaller batch's of ammo. So I really appreciate the universal shell holder. Does everything but my .410 brass hulls. .32sw long to .444marlin and no time needed to switch in between. As long as it takes the same primer I can switch and go. Zero time lost, no hunting for shell holders.

I could not be happier with the product myself.

I don't buy RCBS always, but for some tools it is worth it IMO. This is one of them. My scale is the other. YMMV

15meter
02-12-2019, 09:18 AM

Winelover

Vote 2 for the RCBS bench primer.

But it does need a follower on top of the primers. I use the primer follower from one of Dillon's.

Just a little disconcerting with the rod whipping back and forth, especially with a full tube of primers.

ioon44
02-12-2019, 09:29 AM
I use the RCBS bench primer for rifle and all pistol ammo is done on the 550.

cwlongshot
02-12-2019, 09:59 AM
I have a BUNCH!!

Right now I am liking the new bench mounted LEE... I know I know, If you know me and read my thoughts on LEE, its the last you would expect to read form me. But I have said Im no hypocrite and give credit where due. This has its faults and aint perfect, but its size and workings are fitting my needs now.

I have a RCBS auto APS priming bench mounted and hand held and they are good, but larger and heavier.

I have a Hornady hand held and its junk as is the LEE hand held.

I have a couple different RCBS that are good. I wore out the jaws on one RCBS and they replaced them no questions and they work fine again.

I have a couple old bench mounted RCBS and LYMan that still work fine as does the press mounted RAM prime from LEE and RCBS.

CW

HangFireW8
02-12-2019, 10:07 AM
I haven't done a big comparison on what's best.

The Lee Classic Cast system is vastly superior to my RC II. It doesn't hang up the press and try to drag the shell holder off if you let go of it. Heck you don't have to hold it at all. It just pivots in and out, is never in the way and always does the right thing. If it bothers me I can remove it easily, just remove shell holder, pull it out and put back the shell holder. No pins or screws.

The Hornady ProJector is known to have a hard to adjust primer feed. I got mine adjusted and keep it clean and leave it alone. It works perfectly, except it refuses to feed the last primer in the tube. So I load one extra.

In his book Richard Lee opined that the RCBS primer strip system was superior, but if they refused to license it to him it would die a proprietary death. Maybe he was right.

AnthonyB
02-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the responses, and I'll try to follow all of the excellent advice. I knew RCBS would fix the old one, and I am looking at the universal hand tool for small lots of brass. But, my wife just told me she would get me the bench mounted system as a Valentine's Day present!
Tony

cwlongshot
02-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the responses, and I'll try to follow all of the excellent advice. I knew RCBS would fix the old one, and I am looking at the universal hand tool for small lots of brass. But, my wife just told me she would get me the bench mounted system as a Valentine's Day present!
Tony
This is the LEE I am liking now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5CSkxpomJk

This is a MUCH costlier second choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5CSkxpomJk

This is the one I have used for more then 20 years no troubles..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE_q9K_3brw

Rich/WIS
02-12-2019, 11:23 AM
One I like best and have used exclusively for the past 20+ years is the old Lee Auto Prime II. Uses standard shell holders and the primer tray hold 100 primers. Only issue is it doesn't want to feed when down to a dozen or so primers. Solution was to use a plastic cable tie cut shorter with a square face that fits the slot and give it a bump as I pass a primed case to the tray and pick up the next case. Hand held are out of the question due to arthritis and the bench mounted are no better than the ram-prime types unless they have a primer feed. My Lee is mounted on the little Lee C press and that is dedicated to priming. Like the ease of use and with the little press can feel the primer bottom out. The tool is fussy as to primers used as Lee recommends only certain brands and types as safe but CCI is good in all sizes and types which all I use anyway.

engineer401
02-12-2019, 05:02 PM
I have the Frankfort Arsenal one. It has been reliable with not a single issue. I once had the RCBS bench mounted one and regret getting rid of it.

ascast
02-12-2019, 05:07 PM
RCBS bench mounted for any and all ,unless pistol stuff in the Lee 1000 or Star

gmsharps
02-12-2019, 05:46 PM
The RCBS bench mounted for me. Been using mine for decades.

gmsharps

KenT7021
02-12-2019, 06:20 PM
I prefer the RCBS bench mounted primer as well.I have thought about making followers for the primer tube.It's only needed near the end of a loaded tube though.

mac60
02-12-2019, 06:25 PM
I have 5 Lee handheld tools, the Frankford arsenal handheld tool, the Lyman e-zee prime handheld tool and the RCBS handheld tool as well as bench mounted tools by RCBS, Forster and Lee. I find myself reaching for the Lee bench mounted tool the most.

AnthonyB
02-12-2019, 06:26 PM
I called RCBS this morning and they have replacement parts for mine on the way, to include an upgrade to both the small and large primer rods. I also ordered the bench mounted system from Amazon. Told the RCBS guy my hand primer was just worn out from over thirty years of use. He just laughed and sents parts at no charge.
Tony

L Erie Caster
02-12-2019, 06:32 PM
I use the RCBS APS system both bench and press mounted. Works great.

M-Tecs
02-12-2019, 06:46 PM
RCBS bench primer. Been using one since the late 70's.

Baltimoreed
02-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Prime on the press on my 2 Dillon 550s and 2 Lyman T2s and use 2 old lee auto primes for rifle rounds, one set up for large rifle and one for small rifle. But I don’t reload much rifle.

RED BEAR
02-12-2019, 10:02 PM
Another vote for old lee auto prime. If it ain't broke don't fix it

lead-1
02-12-2019, 11:44 PM
I use the LEE hand primer tool when I'm loading single stage but before that I loaded a lot of rounds with my LEE Auto Prime ll which was the first priming tool I had.
I also have the RCBS hand primer tool, I haven't used it since I put the set screw in it for priming Berdan cases, that way I don't have to change the setting, I just grab the LEE.

JimB..
02-13-2019, 12:12 AM
Vote 6 or 7 for the RCBS bench mounted system.

jmorris
02-13-2019, 12:16 AM
I went past it this morning but now you have a number of answers you were looking for.

This comment made me wonder.

I seated them more fully using the 550 but don’t want to go that route for all primers.

If it works, is faster than other methods and you already have it, why do you not want to utilize it?

sigep1764
02-13-2019, 12:52 AM
For 223, 9mm, and 380, I prime on the 550. For 38 special and 270 I use an RCBS hand primer because I load those on a single stage Lyman. As jmorris asked, why not prime on the 550? It is absolutely the fastest and most accurate of the two systems I use.

AnthonyB
02-13-2019, 12:52 AM
Jmorris, most of my loading is done 50 rounds at a time with a lot of caliber changes and swapping out the Dillon shell plates takes a little time. Not a lot of time, but more than just adding the right shell holder and priming rod. Another thing is that the Dillon feels like work compared to the more relaxed single stage loading. That said, I would agree with anyone who thought my problem was a nice one to have!

hermans
02-13-2019, 04:42 AM
Vote 6 or 7 for the RCBS bench mounted system.

Another vote from me!

jmorris
02-13-2019, 10:20 AM
Jmorris, most of my loading is done 50 rounds at a time with a lot of caliber changes and swapping out the Dillon shell plates takes a little time. Not a lot of time, but more than just adding the right shell holder and priming rod. Another thing is that the Dillon feels like work compared to the more relaxed single stage loading. That said, I would agree with anyone who thought my problem was a nice one to have!

Ah, I understand now. Hard to use the 550 priming system when you are loading with a different press. ;)

I have a couple of the older Lee hand priming tools and an RCBS hand primer.

I’ll get a Forster bench tool and/or an RCBS bench tool when I come across the right deal. Would like to see how the APS one works, as I have gallons of the strips but I also have tube fillers. Not really a need as like you I do fairly small batches if I’m not using a progressive.

375supermag
02-13-2019, 11:11 AM
Hi...
I have been using the bench mounted APS system from RCBS for many years.
I am on about my 10th or 12th set of strips and I can't remember how many sets of large and small plastic bushing inserts.
They just eventually wear out...but it takes many thousands of rounds to wear them out.

I am now priming .45ACP and .357Mag brass on my Hornady LnL presses. That system works very well on my two LnLs... I have one set up for small primer and one for large primers.
Still considering getting a Dillon 550 or 650 to see how I like it.
The way things are going with the Hornady LnLs, I may transition all my handgun reloading over to them eventually unless I get a Dillon.
Probably still load most rifle cartridges on my RockChucker, though. Only exception would be .223 for the ARs.

kmw1954
02-13-2019, 11:36 AM
. What tools do you guys recommend?
Tony

In all honesty, I use the one built into the press which included the one on the Lee Pro1000.

BigAlofPa.
02-13-2019, 11:56 AM
I prime on the press.

fast ronnie
02-13-2019, 01:02 PM
Going back to the first post, I was having issues loading .44 mag on my DillonSDB2. Called Dillon and they sent me a new insert for the large primers and it fixed the problem.

When loading on the Rock Chucker, I use an RCBS bench mount automatic primer, not the APS. I have an APS and it has been spoken for by a friend. After he uses it for a while, I probably will be missing a friend.

I used to have a Lee hand primer. Someone borrowed it and did me a favor by not returning it. Don't remember who, but they really did me a favor. Haven't primed on the Rock Chucker for many years. The bench mount was one of the best purchases I've made.

Rockzilla
02-13-2019, 06:52 PM
Old Lee Autoprimes here also, one Large primer, one Small primer, still use them
to this day, picked up a few on "Fleabay" (Ebay) as backups, no issues in 1,000's
of rounds, only problem is the trays turned color, other than that good, also have
the RCBS universal primer but it doesn't see much use. Choose what works for you.

-Rock

Walks
02-13-2019, 07:14 PM
RCBS Hand Priming Tool, both the old "single stage" and the one with the primer tray. I also have the ancient bench mounted STD Priming Tool, which is "single stage" and the Bench Priming Tool that uses the same primer feed tubes as all other RCBS Primer Tube feed systems.

I wore out 2 Lee hand primers, kept them properly lubed too.

43yrs reloading on my own. Starting my reloading experience in my Family's garage at 3yrs old. RCBS all the way.
My DAD used a LACHMILLER single stage priming tool, bench mounted. Which morphed into the RCBS tool when they bought out OHAUS/LACHMILLER.

And I started priming cases at 4yrs old with a Lyman 310 tong tool.

flyingmonkey35
02-13-2019, 09:22 PM
I use a hammer and just lightly tap the primer in place.

Well that's what it feels like priming on a load master.

Lee bench prime. Is the nice fast and easy to load tray

murf205
02-13-2019, 09:37 PM
Another vote from me!

And one from me, for the RCBS bench tool

Preacher Jim
02-13-2019, 10:16 PM
Rcbs hand primer for all rifle brass, my stars, prime on press auto fed. 44 's my CH has a great primer system on press.

osteodoc08
02-13-2019, 10:17 PM

Winelover

For hand priming, this has always been my favorite, however, I typically use my rcbs hand primer as I can prime cases while catching up on news or tv shows.

winelover
02-14-2019, 07:21 AM
I also have both of the RCBS hand primers............OP asked for the best system. I use the hand primers for small batches. The one with the universal shellholder occasionally balks. I picked up that one because it was a PITA, constantly having to switch over from small to large primers or visa versa. Now I keep one, set up for small primers and the other for large.

Shawlerbrook
02-14-2019, 07:46 AM
Another RCBS bench primer fan but definitely send you worn handprimer to RCBS for a new backup.

robg
02-14-2019, 06:07 PM
Used the Lee round tray tool since 82 have one for small one for large and got another as a spare .tried a friends bench Lee might get one .

15meter
02-14-2019, 06:18 PM
I put the follower in when I start, if I don't, I'll figure out that I forgot to put it in when it spits out the last primer or 3 because of not enough weight on the stack.

Dang Geezer memory.

I prefer the RCBS bench mounted primer as well.I have thought about making followers for the primer tube.It's only needed near the end of a loaded tube though.

OS OK
02-14-2019, 06:37 PM

Winelover

Vote 2 for the RCBS bench primer.

But it does need a follower on top of the primers. I use the primer follower from one of Dillon's.

Just a little disconcerting with the rod whipping back and forth, especially with a full tube of primers.

I use the RCBS bench primer for rifle and all pistol ammo is done on the 550.

RCBS bench mounted for any and all ,unless pistol stuff in the Lee 1000 or Star

gmsharps

RCBS bench primer. Been using one since the late 70's.

RCBS Bench Mount and never look back until someone asks about the best priming system again...then you tell them, RCBS bench mounted.

swamp
02-14-2019, 07:29 PM
Another fan of the Lee Auto-Prime II. My favorite. Only thing wrong is it is not available anymore. Buy them when I see them for sale. Every time I talk to Lee I mention that they should bring it back.

swamp

Budzilla 19
02-14-2019, 07:44 PM
RCBS hand held, a new one, with the green plastic trays, and still have my old Lee hand held ones with the round trays. RL 550 B for big runs of pistol, SDB’s for more pistol calibers,single stage the hunting rounds.

Conditor22
02-14-2019, 08:10 PM
I have several RCBS hand primers, but --- time is not being kind so I'm watching for a bench mounted one.

I'm not saying they haven't been well used, both have rubber bands keeping the primer tray in tight :)

onelight
02-15-2019, 12:01 PM

gmsharps

Same for me , I prefer to prime on the press but when I don’t I use the RCBS.
If I bought now I would try the lee bench mount easier to fill and have heard good reports on it.

hpdrifter
02-16-2019, 11:27 AM
I love my Lee Loadmaster primer system. Keeps me honest.:D

rbuck351
02-16-2019, 12:11 PM
Lyman AA press and hand set the primers. It never fails.

Zingger
02-17-2019, 08:40 AM
After using the press-mounted priming unit, then determining that the handheld was the way to go. Once I purchased and used the RCBS bench priming system it is what I recommend to any fellow reloader or friend.

Three44s
02-17-2019, 10:51 AM
RCBS handheld is my primary tool. I have two of the ones that use standard shell holders and have trays. One for large and the other set up for small.

Once upon a time I used the early Lee handheld until it broke.

I then bought the Forester Coax tool, too fussy!

Then came the RCBS handheld.

I augment the hand held with the RCBS bench tool that is a “single stage” copy of the Lachmyer tool. RCBS called it their Standard tool. It is the one with a cam and also uses standard shell holders.

I have also inherited a Lee handheld like I started with way back when. It sits and draws dust.

Out of curiosity I picked up a Lee Ram Prime and it works as well.

Three44s

Gillie Dog
02-17-2019, 12:26 PM
Another fan of the Lee Auto-Prime II. My favorite. Only thing wrong is it is not available anymore. Buy them when I see them for sale.

swamp

My favorite also. I use RCBS plastic bushings in bottom of shell holders, fit like was made for them, and the thing is 100%. I do not remember a mis-placed primer since started using the bushings for the last 10 years or so. Prime all rifle brass on it and do all pistol on progressive. (except maybe a handful for test loads) The primer chutes are still available, Pro 1000s are the same.

Had/have every Lee hand held, new Lee bench one, RCBS hand held and bench mount. They all work and had best success with Lee hand and bench types other than the Auto Prime II which is flawless, simple and easy.

GD

dragon813gt
02-17-2019, 02:20 PM
I hate priming off press. I find it a big waste of time. I realize everyone loads differently. I don’t sit down at the TV and prime cases like a lot seem to do. Cases are either primed on a 550B or w/ a Lee Safety Prime. The safety prime is my favorite because you dump the primers into the tray, shake a little bit and you’re ready to prime. I have pre-primed cases in the past and ran them on the press and used the safety prime.

I have a bunch of hand held primers. RCBS, hate it. Lee Auto Prime XR square tray, hate it. Lee Ergo Prime square tray, hate it. Old Lee hand primer, forget the name, round tray. I actually like that one. I have a bunch of spare trays and need to modify them and turn them into Dillon primer tube fillers. The one that works the best is an original Lee hand primer w/ screw in shell holders. Consistent seating depth and little effort. Handling every primer is the downside.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4343/36231041490_cda22c6f5a_b.jpg

I’ve had the Lee bench primer in my cart since they first came out. One day I will order one. I don’t like the folding trays they’re putting on everything. The round trays were the best. It’s why I bought a bunch of hand primers and safety primes. Figure it’s better to have spares on hand.

AnthonyB
02-17-2019, 08:10 PM
Thanks to all for all the interesting responses and for the host of information contained in them. RCBS has the repair parts on the way for my hand primer, along with some updated primer rods. I wasn't real sure on the differences in the rods when talking to the tech on the phone but will report back when I have them in hand. I also received the bench mounted RCBS tool and have used it to prime 100 9mm cases so far. There will be a learning curve as there is with any new tool, but I think I will like it very much. I can see why so many of you guys like the tool.
Tony

OS OK
02-17-2019, 10:02 PM
Just keep the hole and priming punch clean...lube it with dry graphite and if at some point it flips a primer from the punch collar the punch and hole need cleaning and relubing. Watch that the punch is screwed together tight...the punch itself screws into the bottom rod holding the collar and spring in place.

happy priming

Gillie Dog
02-17-2019, 10:45 PM
I don’t like the folding trays they’re putting on everything. The round trays were the best. It’s why I bought a bunch of hand primers and safety primes. Figure it’s better to have spares on hand.

The round trays work on every one of the "new" primers which are supposed to use folding trays I have tried. Work fine.

GD

Big Wes
02-21-2019, 07:54 AM
Most of my priming is done on The Dillon's, a small amount is done on the RCBS bench primer. Very well constructed and works flawlessly.Well worth the price of admission.

Blindshooter
02-21-2019, 08:05 PM
Like others I've used the hand held ones with the older round tray Lee my favorite. They're all busted now, used the trays to make tube fillers. Arthritis led me to a RCBS bench prime that works fine. All pistol stuff is done on progressives now mostly a D1050. I found a Ponsness/Warren Metalmatic II last year and got it cleaned up, it has the older priming system and it works like a champ with the old Lyman brass tubes. I use it for small lots of rifle loads and have found it very handy.
Sorry for sliding off topic a bit.