PDA

View Full Version : looking for load info for DEWC

cakolp2
10-12-2008, 09:40 PM
I have some unique and red dot and would like to know how much to put behind a 148 gr dewc iin 38 special. and also can I use them in a 357 mag pistol. will they go into the forcing cone alright being flat nosed.
Also can I load them in 357 brass. can I get any better velocity by loading in 357 brass. How much of the above powders would you put behind them in 357 case?

thanks
Carl Kolpin

Le Loup Solitaire
10-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Hi, There are 2 ways to load DEWC bullets; with a slight roll crimp in the front groove or with no crimp and the flat face flush with the case mouth. That is what I have been doing as my Smith M52 doesn't like any lead exposed. It works fine as such and I have even put a slight roll crimp on that arrangement. I have never used Unique, but it will work. With red Dot I have used 2.8-3.0 grains in the 38 special with good results. There is an old saying among target shooters that goes, "357's make the best 38's ". Probably comes from the idea that because the 357 case is longer then there is less bullet jump. Whether or not you subscribe to that depends on what you find in trying it out and the results that you get. DEWC's can be seated flush with the case mouths in the .357's too; you can use slightly slower powders like Unique or 700X and use the extra room in the .357 cases to see if the change in air space/loading density increases the accuracy. Remember though that using DEWC"S/flat faced WC's is all about reducing the recoil and cutting sharp holes (easier to score) in the target. Other than that the shape of these kinds of bullets is the worst possible in terms of aerodynamics. They are very sensitive to crosswind and will skid on the wind with the slightest provokation....and their range is pretty much limited, generally to 50 yds. But with properly adjusted powder charges they can be extremely accurate. You have to be ready and patient in experimenting and finding what your gun likes. I have never loaded them hot either in 38's or .357's so I don't know what the results of that would be. I'm sure that some folks have the answer to that and will advise you accordingly. Good shooting. LLS

Buckshot
10-13-2008, 01:38 AM
...............Hey cakolp2, welcome to the board! If you're wanting to load those for target work, I'd start with 2.5grs of Red Dot in the 38 Special. For the 357 Magnum start with 2.7 or 2.8grs. If the accuracy isn't what you're looking for (if you know what the pistol is capable of) then go up 0.2grs at a time. My K38 likes 3.0grs and a Ruger BH 357 likes 3.3grs.

Rather then loading WC's fully in the case and crimping over the top, I like to crimp in the top lube groove or the crimp groove, if there IS one. If possible I like to get the nose up into the throat of the cylinder. In your 357 I'd use 357 brass. You could try 38 Special brass, and who knows, it might shoot like a lazer?

But if you do a lot of shooting with the shorter brass it can make cleaning your revolver more difficult. Or at least more time consuming due to the fouling left behind from the shorter case. If you want to horse up the load, I'd then go to the Unique. Remember that seating depth, will affect case volumn, and hense pressure.

The 38 WC can be a very effective defensive round for soft skinned anti-social types. Not too long back the officers of the NYC PD were armed with 38 Specials using 160gr WC ammo.

...................Buckshot

FN in MT
10-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Elaborate Please on the NYPD 160 gr wadcutter rds. ALL I've ever heard them carry were the 158gr RN "widowmakers" or the 158 SWC's before they went to 9mm's.

Who made them??

FN in MT

runfiverun
10-13-2008, 06:17 PM
they also used a 200 gr hollow point or sometimes the hollow based wadcutter loaded upside down.
these were called the "flying ashtray" load.

Buckshot
10-14-2008, 02:20 AM
Elaborate Please on the NYPD 160 gr wadcutter rds. ALL I've ever heard them carry were the 158gr RN "widowmakers" or the 158 SWC's before they went to 9mm's.

Who made them??

FN in MT

................This is something I read in an article talking about handguns and loads having to do with law enforcement. It's been quite sometime since I read it, but it stuck with me due to it's apparent rarity. The main objective was (besides a large flat nose being disruptive) that it generally did not penetrate walls and such. Or the person you were shooting at :-)

I believe Bret4207 has a bit more detail.

................Buckshot