PDA

View Full Version : LEE powder dippers

Oily
02-10-2019, 02:44 AM
I have searched the archives and can't find a definitive answer on whether the older red and black dippers are the same volumes or different enough to buy a set of the black. I have the new yellow and the older red. By the way the older red dippers have different dippers on opposite sides of each dipper on the two smallest ones. The #20 and the #39 have this feature which throw different volumes but aren't listed on the chart. Anybody have the red and black to make a comparison and let me know if they are the same? Thanks Oily

JBinMN
02-10-2019, 03:53 AM
The older topic below has some info you may be able to use, as well as two members that may have the sets.
nitro-express , last online on 2/8/2019, and,

gunwonk , last online at 2/3/2019

& you might ask them for more info about the differences, but there is a chart provided by nitro-express in the topic (linked below) that shows the differences between the old & new dippers, as well as the formula for converting their volumes.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=120974&d=1415120648&thumb=1

The formula is ((old dipper #)/0.061024/1000)

And if you compare the cc, indeed you discover that the volume of the old dippers falls between the volumes of the new ones.

Here is a chart posted up by gunwonk that shows where the old dippers are compared to the new dippers, which looks to be handy as well:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124392&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1418517506

Reading the whole topic, if you have not, may help give you some other ideas as well.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?258428-LEE-Dippers-Old-(Balck-or-Red)-powder-dippers-vs-New-(Yellow)-powder-dippers

G'Luck!
:)

Oily
02-10-2019, 04:56 AM
Thanks JB, but I have seen all of this. But I have not seen anybody say that the red and black dippers are the same. I have searched the web to the best of my meager abilities and can only find the black dippers for sale. I just want to know if they are different from the red set. I have alot of dippers that I have made into adjustable with a variety of screws and self tapping screws and am trying to make up a list of how to simply make adjustable dippers for us cheapies. I want to make a list of each one to show what each one will throw. I have narrowed it down to 6 measures so far and now I have to correlate with the most popular powders used today. This will take awhile but I think it will be benificial to the the members here who like to use the dipper method to load Your friend Oily

JBinMN
02-10-2019, 05:16 AM
I understand. Just trying to help.

In that topic I listed above, in post#19, (link to that post below)
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?258428-LEE-Dippers-Old-(Balck-or-Red)-powder-dippers-vs-New-(Yellow)-powder-dippers&p=4088239&viewfull=1#post4088239

psweigle says he has 3 of the sets and the red & black are the same.

I love my dippers. I use them for many of my hand loaders. I have all 3 of the sets. The red and black are the same. I find I can make a tailored charge pretty consistently. Great for taking on the road. The

Psweigle would be another to contact and verify that they are the same, if ya like. (Last online here today, 2/10/2019)

G'Luck Oily! & like I said, "just trying to help.".

psweigle
02-10-2019, 05:38 AM
Yes, they are the same. Hope this helps.

JBinMN
02-10-2019, 05:44 AM
Yes, they are the same. Hope this helps.

Thanks! That should be what Oily was looking for.

BTW, Oily, here is a handy .pdf file with the Lee Yellow dippers for powders that you might find very handy, if you did not have it already.:

https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/DIPPERS.pdf

Or, for anyone else who uses the Lee Yellow dipper set. Handier than the slide rule type dipper chart Lee sends out with the dipper set, IMO. It makes comparisons easier, for me, anyway.
;)

psweigle
02-10-2019, 06:05 AM
Not a problem, glad to contribute when I can. I've certainly received enough help over the years.

AntiqueSledMan
02-10-2019, 08:31 AM
Hello Oily,

The old Red or Black dippers are "cubic inches",
The new Yellow dippers are "cubic centimeters".
We're switching to the metric system.
JBinMN listed a conversion chart in the first reply.
My Red set has the same mentioned two cavities on the .020 & .039,
I believe this was just to make it easier to handle the small volume.
I would used the tapered end as the measure, not the bottom cavity.

Hope this helps, AntiqueSledMan.

Bazoo
02-10-2019, 01:13 PM
I use a yellow set, but if I ever run across a black or red set I'll pick them up so I have a better variety. I don't use them all the time, but for 30-30 the 2.2 throws 32.5 grains of w748 and it's right where I want to be. It's supposed to throw 33.6 if I remember correctly. I checked it against 3031 but I didn't open a new can of 748 to check. It threw a little light on the 3031. Dunno if it's just my technique or if it's my dipper. I'm consistent though with it and I have no complaints as to the accuracy of my 30-30 loads.

There is an online chart of the cc dippers with all the powders that I found and printed off. Found it here I believe, then I highlighted the powders I use and underscore the dippers I use. Makes for quick reference. I also take note of the dipper I use in my notes, but I assume everyone does.

JBinMN
02-10-2019, 01:26 PM
There is an online chart of the cc dippers with all the powders that I found and printed off. Found it here I believe, then I highlighted the powders I use and underscore the dippers I use. Makes for quick reference. I also take note of the dipper I use in my notes, but I assume everyone does.

Click on the link in post#6. You might be surprised. Or, not...
;)

44magLeo
02-10-2019, 06:10 PM
That Chart in post #6, I think it's the same as the one in the back of Lee's reloading manual.
Leo

Bazoo
02-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Yep, that's the one I use. I have another one I found somewhere and printed also that isn't as comprehensive. I had one of lees slide cards before and that was not nearly as easy.

Tom W.
02-10-2019, 08:30 PM
I bookmarked that info... Thanks!

slim1836
02-10-2019, 09:40 PM
I bookmarked that info... Thanks!

As well as I. Thanks JB

Slim

JBinMN
02-10-2019, 10:45 PM
:drinks:

Always glad to be of assistance, when I can.
;)

Oily
02-11-2019, 04:26 AM
Thank you all. Really like the links you posted that will make comparing alot easier. I am trying to compile a list for different dippers and screws that the heads will fit the ID and what volumes they can be adjusted to for common powders. At my present rate it should be finished by 2030 LOL