PDA

View Full Version : Russian thistle greens?

DLCTEX
10-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Scrounger commented that the only thing growing at his current place is Russian thistles. It reminded me of my gramdfather telling me that if picked young they made pretty good greens. Anyone heard of this or tryed it? If not I may try them next spring. I know cattle like them in the young stage. He said that those were the reasons for their being imported to the U.S. I have eaten Lamb'squarters and poke weed for greens. DALE

chunkum
10-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Euel Gibbons instructed to cut the thorns and boil them in two waters. I haven't tried them but would be interested in how you evaluate them. Always thought they were Scottish Thistle.
c.

Scrounger
10-12-2008, 07:09 PM
For those of you who don't know, what we're talking about here is more commonly known as tumbleweeds...

chunkum
10-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Just watched the History Channel story "Black Blizzard" about the dust storms out west in the 30's and it mentioned that things got so lean that folks did cook up tumbleweeds sometimes. Didn't say how. The Scottish thistle referred to above is an entirely different plant but also reputed to be edible.
c.

NoDakJak
11-05-2008, 06:52 AM
One of my survival books states that the Scottish Thistle belongs to the same family as artichokes. It says to bake or boil the root, then peel off the outer portion and eat the core. I think that I will try it. Should be good with salt, pepper and melted butter. Neil