PDA

View Full Version : Seating gas checks

405WIN
10-12-2008, 06:08 PM
I have a new bullet mold. RCBS .348-200-GC. Useing Hornady .348 gas checks I find I cannot seat them by hand. They refuse to go on the bullet unless I seat them in the SAECO lubri sizer. They tilt as they are sized makeing a poor bullet in the process.
Are there any tricks I could use to seat these stubborn gas checks on the bullet strait.???

44man
10-12-2008, 07:48 PM
I had to make a tool to fit my press to seat the checks first. I got tired of beating the boolits on a plate.

VTDW
10-12-2008, 08:00 PM
I have to flare all my GC's or they will tilt badly and give me lots of bad GC boolits. I found an extra set of chisels and use the end that I normally hammer on and it just takes a light tap. I still have to install them on my Lyman 4500 like I always did but no more rejects at all.

Dave

870TC
10-12-2008, 08:36 PM
I flare the check with a homemade brass rod, that I grind to a shallow taper. Lay the check on the bench and give a slight tap with a 4 ounce hammer.

cabezaverde
10-12-2008, 08:55 PM
I have used a steel ball out of an old computer mouse.

Put it on the check opening and give it a tap.

looseprojectile
10-12-2008, 10:14 PM
checked and sized three hundred .432 Ranch Dog 265s. Used a Lee push through sizer. With those if you try to seat the checks base up it results in crooked checks. Size them nose up and give a tap or three with the ram you get beautiful really square bases. I run them through the sizer dry, no lube.
You might consider getting a Lee push through die in the size you need. LLA might work well in the .348 also. I make my own tools for these. You might have a friend that can do this or talk to old salt Buckshot.
I have always wanted to shoot 250 grain boolits in my model 71 but it always seems I have more on my plate than I can handle, already.

Life is good

405WIN
10-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the advice on flaring the gas check cup. I rummaged through my misc. die parts and found a Hornady spindle holder that has a slight flare and taper to it. If I set the gc cup on my bench and give it a light tap or two it flares it out enough to easily seat the gc on the bullet base. Next I will see what happens when I run them through the size die. I think it will work well.

dromia
10-13-2008, 02:01 AM
I gently bevel the base of the boolit in a Lee chamfer tool when checks don't seat well. They usually click on great after that.

Will
10-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Place a flat piece of steel on top of your sizing die in your lub-sizer and press the check on.

Boerrancher
10-13-2008, 12:23 PM
My Solution:

1. Measure the shank of the boolit.
2. Measure my bore by slugging it.
3. Call a friend of mine with the dimensions.
4. Wait for 2 weeks.
5. When the tool arrives start making my own gas checks for the boolit.

I don't have any issues with my gas checks not seating properly, because each check is custom tailored for each boolit and rifle. I have 3 different 30 cal rifles that I shoot the same boolit in, and each rifle uses a different gas check. I hope this helps some.

Best Wishes form the Boer Ranch,

Joe

felix
10-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Joe, I agree, and I prefer dies that match perfectly to the chamber of the gun as well. It might be more cost effective to size the various shanks to a common diameter, rather than having to size the checks. ... felix

looseprojectile
10-13-2008, 02:29 PM
How is it not acceptable to seat them in the Saeco sizer luber? That works for me.
Of course I have the Lyman 45. Never had the experience of a Saeco. I have wondered how some of the sizer contraptions that are push through work when seating checks as opposed to one with an adjustable stop. Splain please.

Life is good

Boerrancher
10-13-2008, 06:00 PM
I have wondered how some of the sizer contraptions that are push through work when seating checks as opposed to one with an adjustable stop. Splain please.

The Lee push through sizers are tapered at the mouth of the sizer. When the nose passes the taper and starts to get sized there is a good amount of pressure put on the gas check and base of the boolit. The taper in the sizing die slowly rolls the sides of the gas check in as it enters the sizing portion of the die.

With some of my gas checks that fit on plain based boolits I have to run those through the push through sizer backwards. In my Lyman 450 I seat them like any other gas check.

Now you Know how they work.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

runfiverun
10-13-2008, 06:07 PM
see joes first paragraph above for how the star works also.
i just set the boolit in the sizer and the g/c on it push the handle and size, seat the g/c and lube all at once.