PDA

View Full Version : Lee slug and crimping

stumpjumper
02-08-2019, 07:41 AM
Anyone have any idea why my crimper is crimping like it is

Hogtamer
02-08-2019, 07:50 AM
Wad column seems a fraction high. A proper fold crimp requires about 7/16" from top of hull to top of payload.

longbow
02-08-2019, 05:04 PM
What Hogtamer said and are you using any wad compression? Some wads will take a bit of a set when compressed or maybe it is more that softer legs will stay compressed and not push back against the crimp hard enough to bulge it.

Is that a recipe from a reloading manual? If so and you used all the specified components then crimp should be good.

Longbow

jeepvet
02-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Are you more concerned about the corrugations in the edge of the crimp, the slight bulge in the center of the crimp or both?

Moonie
02-08-2019, 06:07 PM
wad column is a little too high.

stumpjumper
02-08-2019, 06:34 PM
They were new hulls. And I had them close to 7/16 inch from the top of the hull. What I was looking at was the corrugation around the top I tried adjusting the crimp starter and that didnt work out so well for me

gpidaho
02-08-2019, 06:50 PM
What Hogtamer said and are you using any wad compression? Some wads will take a bit of a set when compressed or maybe it is more that softer legs will stay compressed and not push back against the crimp hard enough to bulge it.

Is that a recipe from a reloading manual? If so and you used all the specified components then crimp should be good.

Longbow
It depends on what manual your taking the data from.
In my experience not all loads listed in manuals fit with the components listed. Some, I believe, never went any farther than the computer screen and pressure data. It's not the usual thing, but I've found more than one load that doesn't come close to fitting with the components listed. Gp