PDA

View Full Version : Why a turret press?

roysha
02-07-2019, 12:11 PM
In another thread there was a discussion comparing the Lyman to the Redding turret press. That reminded me of a question I have had for a long time. Not wanting to hijack that thread I started this one.
I'm not sure how to ask it to make myself clear but hopefully you folks will understand. What is the purpose of having a turret press? What, if any, advantage or perceived advantage is there in their use? Or, perhaps another way to ask is, how does one use a turret press compared to a single station press? I understand the concept of multi-station presses such as the CH 333 which one would use somewhat like a shotshell press, but I can't figure any way that a turret press would be advantageous over a comparable quality single station press.
Just curious.

BigAlofPa.
02-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Production is greatly increased.

Omega
02-07-2019, 12:23 PM
My main reason for using a turret press, the Lee Classic Turret Press, is because I can set my dies and change calibers with a simple change of the turret. I still use it as a single stage because of how I process my brass and reload, but it is convenient to me to have the ability to resize my brass without having to mess with the dies as often. If you use the same bullet, even the seating die can be left as is, but will have to be adjusted if you change out.

OS OK
02-07-2019, 12:26 PM
You can start and finish a case to a completed round without removing the case from the shell holder. It's convenient, especially when doing load workups. Once you get the hang of it you can work fairly fast too. There's a lot of angles to consider over a single stage. You can leave your dies set up and swap turrets.
I have several presses but I enjoy working on the turret.

mdi
02-07-2019, 12:30 PM
Basically, a turret press is a single stage press with movable dies mainly on a round plate (turret). Instead of unscrewing a die from the press and installing another one, the turret is indexed and the die for the next step is in place...

trapper9260
02-07-2019, 12:30 PM
You are able to set all the dies the way you want them and just reload with out have to change dies.It make it alot faster to reload when you have the data that works for the gun you load.I do have a single stage and use that to resize and deprime my brass.

BigAlofPa.
02-07-2019, 12:32 PM
My son is just starting to reload. He likes using my single stage press's. I like the turret. I do use one of my single stage ones as a dedicated decapping press.

dragon813gt
02-07-2019, 01:21 PM
I find a turret that doesn’t automatically advance, or perform multiple functions at once, to be pointless. This is just IMO and I know lots of people don’t agree w/ it. Ones that don’t auto advance basically store setup dies until you want to use them. And you will see increased speeds over a single stage. But they’re slower than one that auto advances or a Dillon 550 where multiple functions are being performed at once.

In the case of the OP’s question one advantage is you can have dies setup for multiple cartridges on one turret. So dies wouldn’t need to be changed out if you wanted to switch. I have turrets setup for a LCT which is literally a ten second change at most. And it auto advances.

Everyone has their preferences. And everyone has different needs. It’s one of the reasons there are so many different press designs. I bought a Pacific Super Mag for the novelty of it. And as slight investment.

wasa
02-07-2019, 01:23 PM
I started out with a single stage, and moved to a turret press (Lee) 2 years ago and wish I had done so years earlier. As others say, it is much faster, and for me, with a single stage, once I added powder I had to finish off those 50 or 100 rounds. With a turret, you get a finished cartridge each time so if you want to load 17, 33, or 42 rounds you can easily do it.

The turret really shines for straight walled pistol cartridges (I use it for 38 spc, 357 mag, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt), as well as collet neck sizing rifle (303 British, 243 Win). No case lubrication required on those, so my process is size, prime, powder, bullet, and crimp (I check/trim the rifle brass before this process).

For my lever action (300 Sav) and semi rifles (7.62x54R), I use the single stage to full length resize, then I trim. Then, into the turret for prime, powder, bullet, and crimp.

Before, I felt I had to reload in 50, 100, or 150 round batches (I have 50 round trays). Now, I can reload for 15 min, 30 min, or whatever and stop when I want after any completed round.

roysha
02-07-2019, 01:34 PM
You can start and finish a case to a completed round without removing the case from the shell holder. It's convenient, especially when doing load workups. Once you get the hang of it you can work fairly fast too. There's a lot of angles to consider over a single stage. You can leave your dies set up and swap turrets.
I have several presses but I enjoy working on the turret.

So you have the powder measure and all the dies mounted in the turret and twist the turret for each stroke of the lever?
Swapping the turrets makes a great deal of sense, since this is what I do with my DL-366 shotshell loader.
Also I can see a bit of an advantage when working up test loads in not having to change dies, although the HOR L-N-L makes even that quite quick, but when running a couple hundred cases of a specific, known load, I don't see much gain.
All my rifle loading is done on an old Schissel H-press, although I do have a CH CHampion and an RCBS RockChucker for things that are difficult to do in the H-type press, and my handgun loading is with HOR Projectors, each of which is dedicated to a specific handgun and load. I have 7 of them and 3 more waiting for a new centerfire handgun. Yes, these are the old Projectors which I prefer to the newer L-N-L progressive.
As I said before, I really don't care one way or another, just curious

Kenstone
02-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Differences of turret over single stage...

one piece flow
handle the case only once per finished round
not moving cases in/out of loading blocks
no load blocks
powder drop thru the flaring die
powder measure on press not hand operated on the bench
rotating dies fun to watch (kidding, attempt at humor):-|
:mrgreen:

Loudy13
02-07-2019, 02:26 PM
All my rifle calibers set up and stay that way..pop off the turret and replace with another one. I have 6 full turrets can you tell I hate resetting dies :)

Gaseous Maximus
02-07-2019, 03:02 PM
As others have said, I also have started using a turret, (Lee), for the convenience of die set up.

Poygan
02-07-2019, 03:12 PM
I use the Lee with the four hole turrets. I use the first two dies to full length size and then flair the case. I hand prime everything so I remove the case after the first two steps are completed. After priming, I charge each case with powder and then seat the bullet to the desired depth with the third die and then use the fourth die to crimp the case. I rarely use my Rock Chucker anymore.

mdi
02-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Regardless on which type of press I use (single stage, turret, Co-Ax) I check/double check every adjustment and there are many times whey need a little "tweeking". I never drop a turret in a press or die in a Cop-Ax without checking/measuring. It certainly would be foolish not to check...

When using my turret, I don't use it "semi-progressive", I find it more pleasing and better to batch load. I very often process a case(s) up to the point of charging and bag up a hundred or so. When I find a load I want to try, or just need some ammo, all I have to do is charge, seat, crimp...

Livin_cincy
02-07-2019, 03:22 PM
Using a Turret Press for Die Storage defeats the intended purpose.
The intention is to make a completed round each time you load the shell holder.
So you do not remove the case & use load blocks between each die operation.

A self indexing Lee Turret press is excellent for producing volumes of handgun cartridges. You can watch YouTube's of one doing 4-5 rounds per minute with a case ejector. This press has the same leverage system Lee's 50 BMG press. So pulling the press lever arm is not work and no more pulls than a single stage press.

Yes, the turret and die move on the Lee design... Just like on a Forester Co-Ax so don't worry about it. We now have three (3) single stage presses on the market that have floating die and or shell holders. So it is not a poor design or a flaw.

The New Lyman Brass Smith and the Redding T-7 have manual indexing. Many Lee Users prefer to manually index their turret press. So this is not a flaw in design... It is a preference.

A Dillon 550 is a variant of a turret. It is brilliant. Dillon has people in both camps of the 550 vs 650 preference. The 650 when fully accessorized will leave a 550 press 650 or more rounds per hour behind. Both are great for their intended purpose.

mdi
02-07-2019, 03:33 PM
Using a Turret Press for Die Storage defeats the intended purpose.
The intention is to make a completed round each time you load the shell holder.
So you do not remove the case & use load blocks between each die operation.
I disagree. This is true of a progressive press but not necessarily a turret press. I have used a Lee turret for over 25 years and never used it "semi-progressive". I know 3 or maybe 4 others that don't use their turret semi-progressive. A turret really shines when batch loading and who knows the mind of the first turret press designer? If one really timed a load when using a turret as a semi-progressive vs batch loading I would think (pretty sure) that a semi-progressive reloader spends way more time in front of their press then one who batch loads...

alamogunr
02-07-2019, 03:59 PM
I have been looking at the Redding T-7 for awhile now. Just waiting until a good deal comes along. I can't say for sure how I will use it since I have no experience with a turret. I suspect that once I have it set up I will use it as mdi has explained. I anticipate that I will acquire at least one additional turret.

I have a Dillon 550B and only load handgun rounds on it. I have gone so far as to try to use only small primer .45 ACP brass so I don't have to change the primer set up. I don't intend to try to load large revolver(.45 Colt, .475 Linebaugh, etc) on a progressive press.

Someday I'll have to go thru the agony of changing primer sizes to use up my stash of large primer .45ACP. When that happens, I'll load a ton for my sons and tell them if they lose the brass not to worry about it.

kungfustyle
02-07-2019, 04:06 PM
It's great to prime, flare, charge, seat and crimp and put the loaded round into the ammo box. Do 5, 10, 20, 50. You can go and take a break and come back an be right back up to speed. And if you make a mistake you don't finish with a few rounds short, all the steps are right there ready to go.

dragon813gt
02-07-2019, 05:15 PM
If one really timed a load when using a turret as a semi-progressive vs batch loading I would think (pretty sure) that a semi-progressive reloader spends way more time in front of their press then one who batch loads...

You’d have to actually time it. Loading a case from start to finish in one pass will be faster. Simply for the fact that you’re inserting and removing the case holder one time. W/ batch loading this number increased to two and possibly more depending on the process. The less you have to handle the case the faster you can load a case.

Batch may loading may mean less time in front of a press per session. But that doesn’t mean total time is reduced. Someone loading 100 in one pass may be there for an hour. Where a batch loader may process 100 cases in thirty minutes. He will then spend another half an hour finishing the loading in a separate session.

Neither way of doing it is wrong. But single pass reloading from start to finish is going to be quicker. It’s why the larger progressives have more stations.

kevin c
02-07-2019, 05:32 PM
The basic reason for me is volume. I put 2 to 4 thousand pistol rounds through the same gun per month for action pistol, where Bullseye level of accuracy is not needed as much as reliable function.

I leave the dies in the tool head, which holds the settings to produce the round specifications I want. If I change calibers, the settings for the new cartridge are already there in the new tool head that I swap into the press.

Even with the basic Dillon auto indexing progressive that I use (SDB), I can regularly produce over 500 rounds an hour of practice ammo and 400 rounds an hour of match ammo. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't produce that much with a single stage or a manual turret, and I'm not willing to sacrifice the volume for what is for me a small and unneeded increase in ammo accuracy. Now I might consider a Dillon 550, which is not auto indexing, but just so I can load rifle (.223 in volume) and perhaps a single stage for accuracy rifle.

Edited because, like a newb, I didn't read the whole thread and was adding to drift and tried to make my post a bit closer to the OP's question.

robg
02-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Might have to get one .I don't think I'll be much quicker though .I tend to size cases one day ,trim another ,flare and hand prime ,then load em on separate days ,like to have my cases primed /flared ready to load when the mood takes me .

HangFireW8
02-07-2019, 05:33 PM
So you have the powder measure and all the dies mounted in the turret and twist the turret for each stroke of the lever?
Swapping the turrets makes a great deal of sense, since this is what I do with my DL-366 shotshell loader.
Also I can see a bit of an advantage when working up test loads in not having to change dies, although the HOR L-N-L makes even that quite quick, but when running a couple hundred cases of a specific, known load, I don't see much gain.
All my rifle loading is done on an old Schissel H-press, although I do have a CH CHampion and an RCBS RockChucker for things that are difficult to do in the H-type press, and my handgun loading is with HOR Projectors, each of which is dedicated to a specific handgun and load. I have 7 of them and 3 more waiting for a new centerfire handgun. Yes, these are the old Projectors which I prefer to the newer L-N-L progressive.

So you have 10 ProJectors. Now I don't feel so bad about keeping my old one, instead of trading up.

As discussed, Turrets can be used batch style or for individual loading. Lees kind of blur the line with Progressives.

Another option is a row of single stage presses. I have 4 SS presses and do things assembly-line style, one at a time. Usually. If I have a few pieces of brass that need primer pocket swaging or some other process, I'll do them batch on one press and still have my crucial bullet seating and sizing dies untouched and left alone, still adjusted.

tazman
02-07-2019, 05:39 PM
If one really timed a load when using a turret as a semi-progressive vs batch loading I would think (pretty sure) that a semi-progressive reloader spends way more time in front of their press then one who batch loads...

I did time the difference. I did 100 rounds of 38 special using the turret as a single stage. It took 1 hour. I did this over three days and it always took an hour.
I began using the press as semi-progressive and did 100 rounds in 40 minutes. Again, I did this over three days and it was consistent.
When I run the Lee Classic Cast turret as a single stage press, it takes an hour to do 100 rounds. When I use it as a semi-progressive, I get 150 rounds per hour.
Needless to say, I run it as semi-progressive as much as I can. I only run it as a single stage when doing rifle cases larger than 223.

This still is not as fast as a Dillon but I don't need that much capacity.

baileyboy
02-07-2019, 05:56 PM
All my rifle calibers set up and stay that way..pop off the turret and replace with another one. I have 6 full turrets can you tell I hate resetting dies :)

100% correct, I have 3 Reddings and 7 turrets. Setting up a die correctly involves more than just screwing it in. Once done right, I'm done.

Rcmaveric
02-07-2019, 11:24 PM
I couldnt keep up with how much i was shooting with a single stage. My turret press has made a huge difference of how much i can reload. Even without having all the extras it is a dramatic increase.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OS OK
02-08-2019, 09:41 AM

Yes I do...When I deliver a powder charge to a case I leave the throw in the 'delivered' position and the next throw I reach up and 'take' a new charge and this way powder does not settle in the metering hole causing varing charges. Vibration from the shuffling of the turret does settle the powder in the hopper but that is a good thing.

https://i.imgur.com/kFoUrBn.jpg?2

A friend in Texas made that adapter for the top of the Lee powder through the expander die and I can use any of my powder dispensers I want depending on the powder and charge, the dispenser is easy to remove without disturbing other dies adjacent to it.

https://i.imgur.com/52oWgvk.jpg

You can add a light to the turret by using one of these ball cap brim 'clip-on' lights...

https://i.imgur.com/uTbVIkX.jpg

It will hold in place with some sticky back velcro tabs...

https://i.imgur.com/dsDJO28.jpg

Now you can see the powder charge in the seating station right as you go to set the cast in the case...

https://i.imgur.com/2H1lGNE.jpg

Baltimoreed
02-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Two schools of thought going on here. Move the tool to the work or the work to the tool. Drill press vs hand drill. Both can work but... The advantage of a turret press imo is the ability to start with an mty fired case and end with a finished round but more importantly, you can make 20 minutes worth of ammo or an hours worth, however much time that you want or have available to invest for that session. You still might have a ammo can of mty brass to go but you’ll have a ammo can of finished loads with nothing in between to keep up with. I’ve got 2 Dillon 550s [pistol and 300BO] and 2 lyman T2s [for pistol calibers] but there are 2 single stage presses too [for rifle calibers]. Another thing that I’ve done is mount a Dillon 550 measure on both my T2s to speed things up even more, just work the ram and charge your case. Work smarter not harder.

lotech
02-08-2019, 10:34 AM
I've used many presses in the last fifty+ years that include single stage, turret, and progressives. They all have their place as everyone's "needs" are different. I still use a '60s Texan turret for all handgun cartridge handloading. They're somewhat faster than a single stage, but still allow the operator to visually observe every step of the process with a close inspection. For load experimentation, something I assume many handloaders still do in search of the best load, a turret press is very adaptable. This can also be done with a progressive machine, but not with the same flexibility and ease.

A turret press is versatile.

MostlyLeverGuns
02-08-2019, 11:01 AM
The convenience of die set-up is why I have used the LEE turrets since they came out. I now have a the Lee Cast 4-hole turret and swapped the the turret head on a new Lee four-hole cast turret for the three-hole to use all the 3-die turrets I have set-up. I use the turrets much like the 'newer' breech-lock die holders. It is easy to back-up or load a small number of cartridges without spinning dies. Die adjustment also seems to repeat better than using the lock-rings with set-screws. The Redding T-7 and other similar turrets have never appealed due to loading more than one or two calibers. I have seldom used the turret press in the manner of turning the turret for all operations on a single cartridge.

daloper
02-08-2019, 12:50 PM
I use my turrent for decapping and sizing. When I've shot enough to reload, I run them in the walnut to clean them up for sizing. then I will decap and size. Then back in the corn to finish polishing and clean the sizing lube off. After that I get out the auto index and load them up so that I am ready to shoot some more. I have my turrent filled with all my sizing dies that I load for. Can't buy another cal of gun because I don't have any more room in the turrent unless I take out the universal decapper or pick up another turrent press.

JBinMN
02-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Because it speeds up production from using a single stage(I have 3,+ hand press),
& I currently am unable to afford, nor shoot enough to warrant getting a progressive.

So, the turrets(I have 3) do what I need as far as production, and were affordable.

That is the answer to, "Why a turret press?", for me.
:)

EDG
02-08-2019, 03:05 PM
A turret press may speed reloading handgun ammo using a carbide sizer a little. You still have to jack the handle for each and every stroke of each round.
For reloading larger bottleneck rifle rounds, especially those that headspace on the shoulder I think the turret press may not be of much advantage. You need to lube the case and the inside of the neck and then insure you do not contaminate the powder with the lube. Rather than mess with that I just run my bottle necked cases in large batches. But then I NEVER load a batch from A to Z in one session.

If I want to go faster than a single stage the Dillon 550 or another basic progressive is the next step not a turret press. At that point metallic reloading starts to be more like loading shot shells - boring...

Walks
02-08-2019, 03:32 PM
My DAD bought a Lyman SPAR-T turret press when they came out in the 1960's. Used for Handgun until he died in 1988. He keep .357mag & .45Colt in the turret most of the time, could reload a box of 50 shells in about 40 minutes, that included cleaning primer pockets & priming with a Lyman 310 priming chamber.

MT Chambers
02-08-2019, 04:52 PM
The Co-ax gets you faster die changes with out buying any turrets, and is better built.

str8wal
02-08-2019, 06:55 PM
My main reason for using a turret press, the Lee Classic Turret Press, is because I can set my dies and change calibers with a simple change of the turret. I still use it as a single stage because of how I process my brass and reload, but it is convenient to me to have the ability to resize my brass without having to mess with the dies as often. If you use the same bullet, even the seating die can be left as is, but will have to be adjusted if you change out.

As if you read my mind ;-)

GT1
02-09-2019, 06:09 PM
Batch loading on a turret, interesting concept. Silly as can be, though. Why even bother?

A turret press will speed up manufacturing a single cartridge by threefold, because you are not handling the case, you are rotating in each step(die/station) from start to finish. That is why I can turn out 150 rounds on my lee classic turret over single stage loading 50 rounds, in the same amount of time, with the same margin of safety.

Economy of motion is the term, as anyone with a clock can see, it is obvious.

Three44s
02-09-2019, 06:10 PM
Why a turret press?

Because I got tired of changing dies in and out and back in. I am not the most organized sort and in the process of running through a certain cartridge I would find another batch of brass that I would have to run this die out and that back in just to bring them up to speed.

So with that and the LCT on sale at that time for $74 I bought it. I still am a died in the wool single stager (a Redding Boss compound is center stage) but I have no plans on letting my turret go. Have a Hornady LNL progressive as “liberal insurance” as well.

I do not use my LCT with the auto advance either because I am generally single staging with the periodic clicking back to catch up some cases on a prior step.

Three44s

MyFlatline
02-09-2019, 06:25 PM

Speed is not always everything. I keep the auto advance on my Lee turret off mostly, as I am constantly working on new loads . When I want to crank out "go bang " ammo, hook it back up and it will spit them out. I prefer it to the LNL Hornady, it is now a dedicated depriming press.

alamogunr
02-09-2019, 08:11 PM

Interesting die storage. Can you elaborate?

MyFlatline
02-09-2019, 08:31 PM
3" PVC pipe cut about 3"'s long, allows the turret to sit perfectly inside and the dies don't bottom out. As long as I don't change bullets, I can quick change in a matter of seconds. Also written on the pipe is the shell holder number, so I don't have to look it up.

Hope that helps.

Jim

alamogunr
02-09-2019, 08:53 PM
Thanks! Right now I'm considering the T-7 so I don't think that method would work in exactly the same way. Good idea to keep in mind.

MyFlatline
02-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Thanks! Right now I'm considering the T-7 so I don't think that method would work in exactly the same way. Good idea to keep in mind.
Can't speak for or against any turret presses. I will state this. When I started to get into loading, everyone bashed Lee. Yes there are better products and most of mine now sit unused, as Lee is my everyday go to. No , I don't have a Dillon and doubt I ever will, but the Lee turret is a fine press for the money.

Boogieman
02-09-2019, 09:29 PM
I use a Lee classic turret for all handgun loading. I deprime on a single stage , using a 45/70 die then clean if needed. priming is done with a Lee auto prime, off press. Then they are sized, charged, bullets seated, crimped using the auto index. I use a 4 die set. Priming off press allows a better feel, for me. The up and movement of the Lee auto disc seems to help keep the powder charges uniform . Just remember to remove the depriming pin from the sizing die

p

HangFireW8
02-10-2019, 01:28 AM
The Co-ax gets you faster die changes with out buying any turrets, and is better built.

Die changes one entire set for another, OK, I can see that. But loading a single cartridge though all the stages, you won't be faster on a CoAx swapping out dies compared to simply indexing the turret to the next die position.

I use my CoAx as the bullet seating part of my bottleneck single stage assembly line, but it's also my goto for decapping out of sequence because of the quick die change feature. I keep the universal decapping die right by the CoAx.

alamogunr
02-10-2019, 11:36 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger on a T-7 today. Brownell's had it on sale plus 10% off and free shipping. An extra turret was also on sale, so I got one. If I was willing to wait up to 6 months or more, I might have found it cheaper but I doubt I could have saved over another $10-$20.

Now I can start discovering how best to use it. I've got this thread bookmarked so I can refer to it as I work my way thru various methods. Don't stop discussing turret presses. I'm sure there is a lot more to discuss about them and I'm ready to try them(or will be when the press arrives).

alamogunr
02-12-2019, 11:55 AM
I was about to respond to an emailed notification of a post on this thread that notified that Midway had the T-7 on sale for $299. I had another email from Brownell's that the T-7 was still on sale and $30 off which is a better deal. Somehow the other email was deleted. I have that happen occasionally and wonder what happened. Maybe the poster found the Brownell's sale and deleted his post.

alamogunr
02-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Well! The T-7 was delivered yesterday. It was supposed to be delivered last Thursday or Friday but in checking the tracking, it said that a delay was requested. Called Brownell's about it and they checked FedEx and said that there was minor damage to the box and it had to be re-taped.

When the package was delivered and I opened it, the extra turret was missing. It was obvious the box was retaped including a big tear in the bottom. Plenty big enough for the turret to get out.

Got an email from Brownell's that said essentially, that they were shipping the replacement turret and charging my credit card pending reimbursement from FedEx. I guess my only worry now is that FedEx will reject the loss claim and I might be charged for the replacement turret.

Aside from all that, the press is an amazing piece of equipment. Can't wait to mount it and get started using it. As I said in an earlier post, I'll try the methods mentioned here and decide which fits me best.

Bazoo
02-20-2019, 12:15 AM
I've really enjoyed this thread. I've never used a turret press, but I'm interested in them. That Redding t7 sure looks nice. Thanks all for this discussion.

red67
02-20-2019, 02:39 AM
My opinion is the Lee Classic Cast turret can't be beat for the price range it sells in. Is a Dillon Square Deal faster, higher quality press and warranty? Absolutely, but at Triple the price.

The sweet spot for the Lee turret presses is producing average volumes of a variety of calibers. If you are planning to enter pistol competitions or just do high volume practicing, then a turret isn't going to keep up.

dragon813gt
02-20-2019, 07:50 AM
My opinion is the Lee Classic Cast turret can't be beat for the price range it sells in. Is a Dillon Square Deal faster, higher quality press and warranty? Absolutely, but at Triple the price.

You can not compare the LCT to the SDB as it’s an apples to orange comparison. The SDB is a full progressive while the LCT isn’t. The LCT occupies an area all by itself. Now if you want to compare the SDB to a 650 then it’s more accurate. But the station numbers don’t make it an exact comparison either.

6bg6ga
02-20-2019, 08:28 AM
So far I've read 40+ post most say either yes they like a turret or basically a turret is a ***. I have a Lyman -T-Mag simply because I haven't done rifle calibers on my Dillon 650 press as of yet. Do I use the turret function? No, 99% of the time I do one operation at a time. I FL-resize and install a primer for say 50-100 cases. I then throw a powder charge on a powder measure with 50 rounds in a wooden block receiving the charge and then back to the Lyman to install the bullet. I guess I could rig up a powder measure on the turret to throw the charge into the case and then install the bullet but I find the movement of the turret causes a difference in the powder drop consistency.

Like I mentioned above I FL-resize rifle cases on the Lyman simply because it has decent leverage and its pretty heavy duty and will take the abuse. I use my home made sizing mixture of heat and lanolin and after rifle cases are sized they get cleaned again and checked for length prior to loading.

The ONLY time I use the turret is in reloading the 380. I employ a 9mm taper crimp die in addition to the bullet seating/crimp die to get enough tension but not too much and I will rotate the turret on each round. To me the turret is more of a convenience of having the dies in the turret ready to go to the next stage with a simple turn.

6bg6ga
02-20-2019, 08:34 AM
If by SDB your talking Dillon Square Deal no its not more accurate. I've owned both.

cwlongshot
02-20-2019, 08:34 AM
Yes I do...When I deliver a powder charge to a case I leave the throw in the 'delivered' position and the next throw I reach up and 'take' a new charge and this way powder does not settle in the metering hole causing varing charges. Vibration from the shuffling of the turret does settle the powder in the hopper but that is a good thing.

https://i.imgur.com/kFoUrBn.jpg?2

A friend in Texas made that adapter for the top of the Lee powder through the expander die and I can use any of my powder dispensers I want depending on the powder and charge, the dispenser is easy to remove without disturbing other dies adjacent to it.

https://i.imgur.com/52oWgvk.jpg

Now you can see the powder charge in the seating station right as you go to set the cast in the case...

https://i.imgur.com/2H1lGNE.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/sporting%20pics/My%20loading%20room/D8FA873F-30C3-4A3D-8C93-7A7E31DE87D0_zpsjpgjtqsi.jpeg

I have been looking myself.

I need something to attach my lil dandy to the top plate like you have! I cannot find anything...

CW

cwlongshot
02-20-2019, 09:08 AM
I ran across this...

Looks like your drawing OS OK!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTiCH1vAUlk

Just found and ordered this... Hope it works for what I want.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Multi-Expand-Powder-Charge/dp/B005KW6I54

CW

OS OK
02-20-2019, 09:27 AM
cwlongshot...

There's this adapter here https://www.midwayusa.com/product/748976/lyman-multi-expander-and-powder-charge-die by Lyman.

And there's this https://www.amazon.com/Pistol-Adapter-RCBS-Lyman-Measures/dp/B0041OJAJS adapts the measure to a Lee powder through expander die.

If your using the Lee products theres this riser you might need for a Lee measure https://www.midwayusa.com/product/114080/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure-riser

***Regarding your last post...That's the fella that made my adapter...that's my adapter he's making right there. Small world heh?

mjwcaster
02-20-2019, 10:16 AM

I have a Dillon 550B ...

Someday I'll have to go thru the agony of changing primer sizes to use up my stash of large primer .45ACP. When that happens, I'll load a ton for my sons and tell them if they lose the brass not to worry about it.

People make swapping primers sizes on a 550 sound much worse than it is, especially with a little practice.
Takes only a few minutes.

Some hints-
Don’t over tighten the 2 bolts holding the primer feed. And don’t tighten them up all the way until you lower the ram and align the primer feed.
Make sure the primer tube is empty before removing.
Test the feed system with just a few primers, not a full sleeve. I use 10.
Don’t screw the primer tube retaining cap on too tight, just barely snug it up.
Don’t forget the primer feed spring, remove it before loosening the primer feed bolts and replace it before final tightening.
If any of the parts are getting worn, call Dillon and get replacements. My biggest issues in years were from worn parts.

With the parts sitting ready in front of you on the bench it is an easy 5 minute job.
When it goes right.
I will admit the first few time took longer, I have had issues with the plastic tips, primers falling on the floor or not feeding. But that is where I got my list of tips from, feel free to learn from my mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwlongshot
02-20-2019, 12:14 PM
cwlongshot...

There's this adapter here https://www.midwayusa.com/product/748976/lyman-multi-expander-and-powder-charge-die by Lyman.

And there's this https://www.amazon.com/Pistol-Adapter-RCBS-Lyman-Measures/dp/B0041OJAJS adapts the measure to a Lee powder through expander die.

If your using the Lee products theres this riser you might need for a Lee measure https://www.midwayusa.com/product/114080/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure-riser

***Regarding your last post...That's the fella that made my adapter...that's my adapter he's making right there. Small world heh? Surely is!!

Thanks very much!

CW

kmw1954
02-20-2019, 12:32 PM
You can not compare the LCT to the SDB as it’s an apples to orange comparison. The SDB is a full progressive while the LCT isn’t. The LCT occupies an area all by itself. Now if you want to compare the SDB to a 650 then it’s more accurate. But the station numbers don’t make it an exact comparison either.

There are two presses that cannot be compared to anything else because there isn't anything else in the same design, the Lee Auto advancing turret presses and the Dillon 550. No one else makes anything even close. If one wants to compare the SDB with something then compare it to the Lee Pro 1000 as that is about as close as you will get.

cwlongshot
02-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Well! The T-7 was delivered yesterday. It was supposed to be delivered last Thursday or Friday but in checking the tracking, it said that a delay was requested. Called Brownell's about it and they checked FedEx and said that there was minor damage to the box and it had to be re-taped.

When the package was delivered and I opened it, the extra turret was missing. It was obvious the box was retaped including a big tear in the bottom. Plenty big enough for the turret to get out.

Got an email from Brownell's that said essentially, that they were shipping the replacement turret and charging my credit card pending reimbursement from FedEx. I guess my only worry now is that FedEx will reject the loss claim and I might be charged for the replacement turret.

Aside from all that, the press is an amazing piece of equipment. Can't wait to mount it and get started using it. As I said in an earlier post, I'll try the methods mentioned here and decide which fits me best.

I have pretty much known I would have a T-7. I have wanted one for some time, only thing has been cost preventing it. Everytime I have the funds something comes up more important... Some time before Christmas I learned of the Lyman *.. I then noticed it was 1/2 the cost and I haven't seen a lyman press that was not a good product. not to mention I live 10 miles form the factory.

Last month I took my gift cards and I bought the Lyman over the T-mag after reading many reviews stating that it was pretty much a wash for quality only real complaints where priming system and I have always preferred off press priming.

I haven't used it much maybe 50 rounds loaded so far but Its working just as I expected. case deflection last night on 30/06 cases was .002-.003, probably more then my Ultra Mag Redding this press replaced, but to be truthful I never measured the Redding...

I have owned a T-Mag and didn't like its deflection. This one doesn't bother me.

CW

1hole
02-20-2019, 04:34 PM
What's often missing in loading equipment reccomendations is, "How will it be used?" The range of opinions here only show that many of us need very different tools to suit our purposes. I try to make suggestions based on what the questioner's needs, not mine.

I started in '65 with a Lyman turret and used it until I started doing a good bit of case reforming in '93 and added a heavy single stage. I thought a turret press would obviously be faster, right? Wrong.

As a safety system I have always batch processed my ammo and a smooth (fast) reloading rhythm was soon developed. I found I could smoothly swap cases almost as fast as I could manually rotate (and accurately index) the turret, and doing so destroyed my rhythm, sooo???

Thus, after a lot of years using both turret and single stage presses, I can see NO advantage to buying turret presses that don't auto-rotate (like Lee's Classic Cast turret).

bjklme
02-23-2019, 02:59 PM
There is a human factor benefit of the turret press with respect to repetitive motion. For many years I used a single stage press doing one operation on a batch of cases in wood blocks, and I used the RCBS hand priming tool. I reached the point where the numerous and repetitive small motion of picking a case out of a block, putting it into a shell holder, then putting it back into a block became painful to my hands and wrists. For me, single stage loading of a 200-300 round batch of 45 ACP became dreadful even if some stages were done on separate days. The turret press greatly reduces the number of times one has to manipulate a case, and re-orders hand movements to going through all operations on one case. The variety of movements reduced my hand and wrist fatigue. This also organizes the work so that rounds are completed one-at-a-time. If you only have half the time then you produced half the number of completed rounds, and you could still head off to the range. Any of the turret presses are good choices to provide these benefits.

I decided on the Dillion BL550, their basic loader stripped down without the primer tubes. It is a turret press with two turrets, one moving and one fixed. I added a Lee Auto-Drum powder measure, because I use Lee dies on the Dillon. I did not want to do the repetitive small motion of loading the primer tubes, so I place a counted number of primers in a tray and pick them out by hand to prime on the BL550. This priming motion is broken up by the variety of hand movements before it is repeated, and I have no difficulties doing this. I usually load one round at a time, and my production rate is ~4x faster than using the Rock Chucker. If need be I can further increase production rate by running 4 cases at once. This worked so well for me that I now have two BL550s, one for large primers and one for small primers. I still use the Rock Chucker for load discovery with bottle neck rifle cartridges, because the number of rounds per batch is small and I like the control of single stage loading.

Many compare among the turret presses to manually indexed to auto-indexed progressive presses, with points well-made. A significant underlying factor is "how big is a batch?". I enjoy the mere step from a single stage press to any turret press in terms of greatly reduced hand/wrist fatigue, completion of one round at a time, and increased production rate.

alamogunr
02-23-2019, 04:41 PM
Well! I've got the T-7 mounted. Haven't loaded anything yet but I do have one minor gripe. The threading of the turret die holes is as rough as any I've ever seen including pipe threads. I won't say that it will affect performance of the press because I just don't know. I do know it grates on my nerves when I screw a die into the turret and hear and feel the threads grating.

I did one thing that helped a little bit. I used some lapping compound on a 7/8-14 bolt and tried to smooth things up a bit. It did help some but I stopped rather than try to make it extra smooth. As I said above, I don't know if performance would be affected but I do know that I don't feel that I'm forcing mismatched threads together.

fn1889m
02-24-2019, 09:04 PM
It’s just nice to have options. I used an RCBS RC previously. But added the Lyman T-Mag 2 (on a closeout sale). I have my priming, crimping, and case forming dies in the turret press. The seating die is in the RC. I have no idea which method of loading is faster. But all the dies are on the table at the same time. Nice

OS OK
02-24-2019, 09:38 PM
Well! I've got the T-7 mounted. Haven't loaded anything yet but I do have one minor gripe. The threading of the turret die holes is as rough as any I've ever seen including pipe threads. I won't say that it will affect performance of the press because I just don't know. I do know it grates on my nerves when I screw a die into the turret and hear and feel the threads grating.

I did one thing that helped a little bit. I used some lapping compound on a 7/8-14 bolt and tried to smooth things up a bit. It did help some but I stopped rather than try to make it extra smooth. As I said above, I don't know if performance would be affected but I do know that I don't feel that I'm forcing mismatched threads together.

I wouldn't stand for that quality from that manufacturer and at that price...they prolly won't stand for it either. Send some quality pictures with an e-mail and I would think they'd have a new turret coming ASAP.

It's worth your time...otherwise you are going to get even more disgusted as time goes by.

KenT7021
02-25-2019, 12:01 AM
I have eight reloading presses.Four of them are turret presses.I like the turret presses.I have never considered speed in reloading.I reload for economy and for precision.I also reload because a number of cartridges I reload are not available otherwise.To me turret presses are handy.

onelight
02-25-2019, 10:08 AM
What's often missing in loading equipment reccomendations is, "How will it be used?" The range of opinions here only show that many of us need very different tools to suit our purposes. I try to make suggestions based on what the questioner's needs, not mine.
Great point.
We have great selections of equipment to choose from to fit how we like load and shoot and almost all of it works great in a particular nich.