PDA

View Full Version : Stephens singleshot M 120

tew45
02-07-2019, 12:07 AM
I have a 1 inch tube scope mounted on this rifle with the tip off scope mount system. The scope tends to tip off whenever it wants to. So! I am looking for standard Weaver type bases that will fit a barrel measuring roughly .800 inch. Or even a Picatinny strip that will mount. Does anyone know if they are available?

arcticap
02-07-2019, 03:35 AM
edit - My search results were for the wrong model.

Drm50
02-07-2019, 10:40 AM
Simple fix is get a set of steel rings. The Alumilum rings don't get a good bite on grooves. Weaver also sells a
adapter for grooved recievers to go to standard rings. I'm not fimilar with this model but if you post picture of
action I could tell you better. This is common on rifles with cast metal recievers and tip offs of alumilum.

arcticap
02-07-2019, 01:39 PM
If a gun smith is going to do the drill & tap, then he can find the right mounts for the job.

You can always ask him to get your pre-approval for the mount or bases before buying them for installation.

Even if he doesn't end up doing the drill & tap, he can still recommend the right mounts.

Here's what looks like the original type of mount for for your rifle:--->>> https://bid.sslfirearms.com/lots/1029440

From what I've read, the groove is not a standard size.
If you measure the size of the groove, it's possible that a tighter more secure mount or rings can be found.

It's hard to see how this person's scope is mounted:--->>> http://www.armslist.com/posts/8801628/kansas-city-kansas-rifles-for-sale-trade--savage-arms-model-120

tew45
02-07-2019, 05:33 PM
I can drill and tap the rifle myself I just wanted a set of weaver type bases that I did not have to do a lot of machine work since my shop has been shut down for the winter.

Drm50
02-07-2019, 07:44 PM
Weaver doesn't list them by radius but they do have one piece bases in that range. I think the one for a Savage
87 22 rifle would be close. Most of them are for more than one model. Also you might check Brownells they have
blank bases for custom jobs. I bought one for a custom 22 that has a Rem 513 barrel.

pietro
02-08-2019, 11:01 AM

I would respectfully suggest that you investigate why the tip-off rings are coming off/out of the receiver grooves atop your Stevens rifle, before doing anything else.

Specifically, look at the mount/clamp's engagement with the receiver grooving - many times a receiver radius will stop a mount cross-screw from going low enough to allow the clamp jaws to fully engage the grooving.

If that ends up being the case, switch out the existing tip-off mount/rings for a set of 1" rings that fit the grooving, and have no cross-screw that interferes with the receiver top.

Several quality scope ring makers offer just such rings:

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-22-tip-off-ringmount-for-3-8-grooved-receiver-1-sure-grip-black.html

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/scope-rings/signature-rimfire-airgun-rings-prod26138.aspx?avs%7cStyle_1=xzzx22+Rimfire+Rings% 7cQuick-Release+Rings

If the receiver top interferes with those rings, their solid/non-crossbolt bottoms can usually be relieved enough to drop the rings into a better grasp of the grooving.

And, if all else fails:https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-2-piece-rifleman-detachable-see-thru-rings-22-rimfire-3-8-grooves-matte.html

tew45
02-08-2019, 11:18 AM
I did a lot of gunsmith work pre 1968 and always had problems with scope mount bases for some custom barrels. I usually had to make my own. Now my machinery is cold and my body is old and a little lazy. especially when it is 22 degrees in the shop. Brownell's probably can help. I still need my favorite skunk rifle with a scope to aid my bad eyes. Thank all of you for your help. It has been very helpful!

tew45
02-08-2019, 11:29 AM
I need to correct a mistake. The rifle is a Savage, Stevens, Springfield model 120 as stamped on the barrel so it probably will be listed as a Springfield Model 120. It is old but very accurate with a scope mounted.

arcticap
02-08-2019, 01:35 PM
The rings with the strongest grip for grooved receivers that I have ever used are steel Millet Angle Loc .22 rings.

They have been discontinued, but there must still be many sets available in places.

The angle-loc feature allows them to adjust to better fit and grip more groove sizes.

I did locate a new set of low 1 inch Millet Angle Loc .22 rings, but I don't really know if they will fit your gun's groove & scope size or not.
Perhaps eBay or another vendor has them in medium height.
They used to cost about $20 per set for quality steel .22 tip off rings.
They grip solid as a rock on the .22 grooves that they fit.

tew45
02-10-2019, 02:53 PM
I just had my fill or tip off mounts and I don't mind drilling and tapping the rifle. I did find a weaver base that is so close that one drop of epoxy will fill any void and stabilize the base. I went to my large box of gun related goodies and found a #16. The Weaver #16 seems to fill the bill perfectly. So I will use the #16 if I can find anyone in the area that stocks them.
Thank you again for your help!