PDA

View Full Version : Bull Plate?

Mike W1
02-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Would like to try some and did a bit of searching on here. Gather the vendor was Bullshop but didn't find that.

Is this stuff available any more and where?

Springfield
02-05-2019, 05:34 PM
I love the stuff. Traded some lead for some years ago when he was in Alaska, still have some left. Don't know if he is still in business or not.

toallmy
02-05-2019, 06:56 PM
You can find it on gun broker.com .
Search -Bull shops bullplate sprue plate lube .

Skipper
02-05-2019, 08:52 PM
https://bullshop.weebly.com

Mike W1
02-06-2019, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys. Will try and get hold of them tomorrow.

BrassMagnet
02-07-2019, 01:26 PM
NOE offers it as an extra with every mould.

dragon813gt
02-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Save yourself the trouble and use a full synthetic two stroke oil. It’s works the same and is a lot cheaper. I’ve used NOE’s version, the oil that Miha sends w/ his molds and different brands of full synthetic two stroke oil. They all work the same.

swheeler
02-07-2019, 02:53 PM
An ounce will last a lifetime if you don't spill it. I now use Amsoil Saber 2 stroke oil, works just the same.

georgerkahn
02-07-2019, 04:15 PM
A note I'm a bit hesitant to add, but it is germane. Those (me included) who elect to you synthetic 2-stroke oil need to know that it comes in "two flavors". One is for mixing with petrol for use in outboard motors and similar, generally having a "W" in its i.d -- e.g., TCW-3. The one which works for mould spru-plate usage is for AIR-cooled 2-cycle application -- e.g., chain saws and similar. A few years back, my bro in law had not much happiness using the 2-cycle oil, until he told me the brand/type -- from a major outboard manufacturer. He then purchased some for air-cooled, and... problem solved.
geo

HangFireW8
02-07-2019, 05:24 PM
Thanks George, good to know! All I had was air-cooled, and it's been working fine for me, once my original bullplate was used up/spilled out. Guess I lucked out there!

Moonie
02-07-2019, 08:40 PM
you want low ash full synthetic 2 stroke oil

Hardcast416taylor
02-08-2019, 04:40 AM
In the `old days` when you bought a mold from NOE a bottle of bull plate came with it.Robert

Lloyd Smale
02-08-2019, 07:32 AM
not bullshop but if you like ill go buy a quart of 2 stroke synthectic oil and break to down into 2 oz bottles and sell them each for the price of the quart if you want. Im not saying that's what he did but I will say theres not spit difference in performance using ANY 2 stroke syn. oil at your parts dealer.

10x
02-08-2019, 10:24 AM
not bullshop but if you like ill go buy a quart of 2 stroke synthectic oil and break to down into 2 oz bottles and sell them each for the price of the quart if you want. Im not saying that's what he did but I will say theres not spit difference in performance using ANY 2 stroke syn. oil at your parts dealer.

Nailed it

LongRangeAir
03-06-2019, 07:41 AM
I've been using Stihl synthetic 2 stroke chainsaw/ fuel mixing lube for a few years now. Works very well!

Seems I always have a lot around the shop. LOL

lightman
03-06-2019, 11:08 AM
I use the A/C compressor oil stuff but the synthetic 2 stroke oil works fine. A 2oz bottle is a lifetime supply for most of us.

gwpercle
03-06-2019, 02:51 PM
Look for JASO FD , ISO-L-EGD , API-TC spec. numbers , these are for 2 stroke , hand held equipment like chain saws , weed eaters and leaf blowers .

Not knowing what to buy I bought a small bottle of chain saw oil and one for outboard motors , both were synthetic . For mould lube the chainsaw oil works great ....the other not so much.
No one told me there was a right and wrong one...they just said "Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil"...they aren't all the same .
Gary

Conditor22
03-06-2019, 03:42 PM
This will be the last bottle you'll buy
https://i.imgur.com/M5r6ZLu.png

also works great in all my 2 cycle engines.

Nobade
03-06-2019, 04:23 PM
If you can find it, Ipone scooter oil comes in strawberry scented. It's very good synthetic oil and smells great. Runs good in my dirt bikes too.

Kraschenbirn
03-06-2019, 04:28 PM
I bought an 8 oz. bottle of Briggs & Stratton 'Easy Mix 2-Cycle Oil' about a year ago. Works great applied to sprue plates, mold handle hinges, and mold mounting screws. Pretty good for oiling wood chisels after sharpening, too. Still have about 7 1/2 oz. left.

Bill

Springfield
03-06-2019, 06:16 PM
I have used a good deal of the Pennzoil 2-stroke oil for outboards and I can't tell it from the Bullplate I traded for years ago. Seems the same as the oil I get with my Mihec moulds. I have used the semi-synthetic also and it worked fine with my aluminum LEE moulds. May have to try the Stihl oil and see if I can tell the difference. Why would oil for air cooled be any different then oil for water cooled outboards? More heat resistance? Not sure it makes a difference with moulds, pretty sure the engines get a lot hotter than 700 deg.

rbuck351
03-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Cyl head temps on aircooled engines normally run under 400 deg with 375 being about the usual upper limit wanted. Most oils start giving up at about that temp. Also head temps much higher than 375 will start to detonate the fuel mixture which will burn the top of the piston. Why synthetic 2 stroke oil works so well is beyond me. Probably the residue left after some parts of the oil vaporize. I haven't checked the temp of a mold that is at casting temp but I would think it would be around 400.

Jniedbalski
03-10-2019, 12:49 PM
The two stroke oil works great. Also oil I got at autozone for car ac compressors also works just as good and it comes in a pint or ouart. I bought the pint and still have over 80% of it after 4 years of casting

Jniedbalski
03-10-2019, 12:59 PM
The outboard engines are water cooled.so they run a lot cooler. The chain saw oil is differnt because it has to work at a lot higher temp. Racing brigs 5 horse motors in go carts often run head temps at 375 to 400 degrees. The ones running achool usally cover the air shroud to get the head temp up. Some say that the 400 degrees head temp run better and is at the ragged edge. If you have a head temp at 400 the exhaust temp is around 1100 to 1200 degrees. Aluminum melts at 1300 sompthing degrees. That’s why they change oil after one or two races