PDA

View Full Version : Reduce Velocity Jacketed Loads

StarMetal
12-04-2005, 09:50 PM
I bring this up because Bob Forker, a notable reloader, did an article on it in the most recent Guns & Ammo. He did a bunch of standard rounds and the powder charges ranges fomr 19 grs up to 35 grs. What caught my attention is the adovacted a small piece of Dacron to keep the powder against the primer end of the case. His exaxt words were "a plug of Dacron wool atop the powder to keep it in position. You don't have to fill the whole case". Huh??? What???? We missing something here??? Are we all wrong about ringing chambers with improper fitted Dacron wads?

Joe

SharpsShooter
12-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Wow, all these years it must have been something else ringing chambers and blowing up guns. Perhaps he assumes that "modern steel" will prevent the above problems. Wonder if he is in the market for some "good" real estate?

Fireball 57
12-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Amazing! A dab of Dacron will do it? Hummm. Did anyone, read Mr. Rick Jamison's Precision Reloading Article; State of the Art Bullets, in Shooting Times Magazine? His 0.2 inch CAST boolit load without the cat's bedstuffing, might be worth a try in my old warhorse 03. Haven't sent any jacket bullets through her bore, probably won't either. Thanks :coffee:

StarMetal
12-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Yeah I read that. I doubt that dacron would have made a difference, that is it probably would have shot the same size group, then what would you have said?

Joe