PDA

View Full Version : Kel-Tec KS7 shotgun

am44mag
02-03-2019, 01:15 AM
Sorry if there was a better section to put this in. I did not see a dedicated shotgun section, so I had to just pick the closest thing.

This thing premiered at SHOT show, and actually looks like a well thought out and designed gun. It's a pump action, bullpup shotgun with a capacity of 6+1 (3" shells). It has an 18.5" barrel, is 26.1" long overall, and weighs in at 5.9 pounds. The MSRP on it is $495, so the street price will probably level out at around $400-$450 after the initial surge of buyers (seems to be a trend with Kel-Tec products). That to me is an extremely reasonable price for something like this. A lot of Mossberg and Remington's offerings fall around that price point too so it's competitive.

I really like the idea of a light, bullpup shotgun. This thing would be easy to take with you on hikes through the woods, and would be far more maneuverable than a typical shotgun in a home defense situation. I'm in the market for a home defense shotty, and this one will probably be the one I get.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/shotguns/ks7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTqkI2jOPQ&t=420s

https://www.keltecweapons.com/media/catalog/category/shotguns/ks7/ks7-right.png

Lloyd Smale
02-03-2019, 06:49 AM
for 400 bucks id be interested. Ive been contemplating one of those little pistol grip guns but this one would be a bit more practical in the field.

RU shooter
02-03-2019, 07:39 AM
I'm not usually not one for the space aged look but I do like the compactness of this one .

am44mag
02-03-2019, 08:30 AM
I'm not usually not one for the space aged look but I do like the compactness of this one .

That's pretty much my feeling on it. It's not a beautiful gun by any means, but it's extremely utilitarian. I believe they said in the video that you could replace the carry handle with a tradition rail. A micro red dot or just a set of back up irons would make this thing even more compact.

RU shooter
02-03-2019, 08:48 AM
Yeah that would make it somewhat slimmer .

slownsteady22
02-03-2019, 04:29 PM
I know that it kind of defeats the purpose but I would purchase one with a 20 inch barrel.

country gent
02-03-2019, 05:22 PM
I like the compactness even a full sized 18" "riot gun" is hard for me to maneuver and carry in a wheel chair. remember 1 hand is need for the controls on the chair. This light short one might be just the ticket for a chair gun for me. I'm going to have to look into it more.

am44mag
02-03-2019, 09:30 PM
I know that it kind of defears the purpose but I would purchase one with a 20 inch barrel but thats me.

Kel-Tec said that they would be releasing "sporting length barrel models" later in the year. I haven't heard specifically what they meant by that, but a 20" model is probably not unrealistic. I can't really see them slapping a 26" barrel on that thing. If they did, a smith could probably cut it to any length you wanted pretty easily.

slownsteady22
02-03-2019, 09:49 PM
I will be on the look out for that. Heck 20 22 or even 24 would be acceptable

country gent
02-03-2019, 09:56 PM
I think a set of screw in choke tubes fitted to it would make it more tunable to given applications. 6 tubes cylinder, improved cylinder, modified, improved modified, full and extra full and maybe even a rifled tube for slugs as an option extra. This would allow tuning to range and shot size.

bpatterson84
02-03-2019, 10:20 PM
KSG-12 did nothing for me, mostly due to a wonkey feeding system that was not smooth. If this one, being aligned, is better, I'll pick one up. It seems like they ergonomically got too many things right here.

am44mag
02-03-2019, 11:18 PM
KSG-12 did nothing for me, mostly due to a wonkey feeding system that was not smooth. If this one, being aligned, is better, I'll pick one up. It seems like they ergonomically got too many things right here.

Everyone who's reviewed it is saying it's a lot smoother to operate.

Earlwb
02-03-2019, 11:20 PM
It does look quite promising. it would be really neat if it works with the Aquilla Mini_Shells too.

am44mag
02-03-2019, 11:20 PM
I think a set of screw in choke tubes fitted to it would make it more tunable to given applications. 6 tubes cylinder, improved cylinder, modified, improved modified, full and extra full and maybe even a rifled tube for slugs as an option extra. This would allow tuning to range and shot size.

That would be awesome. It would make it so much more versatile.

bpatterson84
02-04-2019, 02:57 AM
Everyone who's reviewed it is saying it's a lot smoother to operate.

Well that's great news! It looks like a real nice light platform that will travel great in a vehicle.

Lloyd Smale
02-04-2019, 07:39 AM
one thing id be curious about is point of aim. That sight plain is way high off the bore axis. it would drastically change point of aim at varying distances. Wouldn't effect it much for a house gun or a self defense gun at practical ranges but for survival hunting or just hunting period it my be a challenge.

am44mag
02-04-2019, 12:48 PM
one thing id be curious about is point of aim. That sight plain is way high off the bore axis. it would drastically change point of aim at varying distances. Wouldn't effect it much for a house gun or a self defense gun at practical ranges but for survival hunting or just hunting period it my be a challenge.

I'm just going out on a limb and guessing at their intentions, but the base model we're seeing is likely intended solely for defensive shooting, or possibly combat oriented competition shooting such as 3-gun if you wanted a pump gun for that. The sporting models they said they're going to release later in the year could be set up with different sights. If I was their gun designer, that's the direction I'd go in. That's one of those things we're just going to have to wait and see on.