PDA

View Full Version : Can you pick just 1 rifle and handgun?

jim4065
10-11-2008, 09:39 PM
My son thinks that Hussein will win and I'm going to have to give up most of the guns. Sitting here getting gloomy - drinking cheap beer and wondering ......Which rifle and handgun would I keep to the bitter end? Aside from burying a few, which handgun and rifle that you own would be the last to go?

For me I guess the 642 and the 32 Special '94. Damn hard choices - - - - :(

snowtigger
10-11-2008, 09:57 PM
What guns? I don't have any guns. Got rid of them evil things years ago..

jjamna
10-11-2008, 10:02 PM
I am with snowtigger. Got rid of all mine bout 17 years ago when my daughter was born. Didn't want her getting ahold of one (He He)

fishhawk
10-11-2008, 10:19 PM
last ones i had i sold at the gun show... think it was the second table to the right as you walked in the door or was it the 4th table....

gds
10-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Tragic boating accident all I have left is a marlin .22 and an old Iver johnson 38 S&W.
It still hurts to think about it.
[smilie=1:

jim4065
10-11-2008, 10:27 PM
............still hurts to think about it.
[smilie=1:

I'll bet it does. :drinks:

Jon K
10-11-2008, 10:33 PM
The Democratic creedo.......DENY...........DENY..............DENY .........I think I can learn it real well.

Jon

Catshooter
10-11-2008, 10:41 PM
In my lifetime I have been reduced twice to just one (due to finances). Once a 1911A1 and the other a .44 Bulldog.

These days I think I'd go with a 2.5 inch Smith 686 and a CZ 527 bolt in 7.62x39. *sigh*

Cat

Muddy Creek Sam
10-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Hell, I sold all my guns when the DC City council and Mayor Daily told us how they killed people. Didn't want them escaping from the safe and killing me in my sleep. Damn Nasty thing. I got them before they got me. :kidding:

Sam[smilie=1:

krag35
10-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Sig P220 and M1 Garand

Bob Krack
10-11-2008, 11:04 PM
My son thinks that Hussein will win and I'm going to have to give up most of the guns. Sitting here getting gloomy - drinking cheap beer and wondering ......Which rifle and handgun would I keep to the bitter end? Aside from burying a few, which handgun and rifle that you own would be the last to go?
For me I guess the 642 and the 32 Special '94. Damn hard choices - - - -:(
I guess like O.J. said "If I did-----"

I would have a .44 mag revolver and a 12 gauge --ooops - ya said rifle, .308 M14 or even better yet - how about a WWII era Browning Automatic Rifle in .30-06?

But like O.J. said - I don't and I didn't and I would not have.:rolleyes:

Vic

dominicfortune00
10-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Guns, what guns?

Shotgun Luckey
10-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I just have replicas with a Orange plug in the end so I can pretend.

trickyasafox
10-11-2008, 11:32 PM
AR-15 just for spite. if I can get new uppers I can make it a heck of a hunting rifle.

if they limit me to 1 rifle and 1 handgun, I'm picking the meanest, nastiest, 'scariest' (not my definition) ones I can.

the most bastardized that the American Media has ever covered. Maybe an AK pistol? who knows- but it'd be something that the other camp has wanted banned before- thats for sure.

yondering
10-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Yep, I traded all my guns to a guy for that 4-wheeler in my garage... or was it my jeep?

Seriously, in response to the original post, I could handle just one long gun and one handgun, but I sure wouldn't be happy about it. It would be tough to settle on just one of each, but I'm pretty sure I'd settle on my 1911 and my pump 12 gauge, with a large variety of ammo for the 12 gauge. One of my good bolt rifles, 30-06, etc, would be a very close second place to the 12 gauge.

mike in co
10-12-2008, 12:24 AM
i dont think i could do just one of each...
one small pistol...like a makarov, one full size either a 44 mag or a cz97 45acp.

one close in rifle..an ar like the 17.5 " or an ak, and one long range.....anything from my milsurplus collection would do....30'06. 8mm, 7.62x54. 308, 6.5x55.....well i do have an ar10 with a scope......

mike in...uhh i forgot where......oh yes there is a gun show this weekend and i sold them all ahead of time to finance the brass i bought this week......

bruce drake
10-12-2008, 12:27 AM
I personally destroyed them all. I burnt the stocks and melted the receivers. See that slag pile over there in the corner. Yep, I'm a good party member. See my little red book on the shelf there....Heil Obama!

Nope - Never give them up. The ammo would be in a safe, discrete location along with the rifles. I figure I could outfit at least two squads of minutemen for a decent start of a revolution if it was required. Jeesh, I need to get the movie "Red Dawn" off the shelf when I get back from Iraq and review the study material.

Bruce

Bullshop Junior
10-12-2008, 12:34 AM
I go with a ruger mark 2 22 auto, or a ruger black hawk 357 for pistol, and a 30/06 in a real nice light accuate bolt action with a scope. or a 45/70 in a marlin.
Match the 357 with the 30/06, and the 22 with the 45/70.
BIC/Daniel

shotman
10-12-2008, 12:37 AM
thanks bruce dont bring those sand fleas back will already have one rick

Bullshop Junior
10-12-2008, 12:42 AM
AR-15 just for spite. if I can get new uppers I can make it a heck of a hunting rifle.

I'm picking the meanest, nastiest, 'scariest' (not my definition) ones I can.
thats for sure.
You can also use Bullshop hand swaged for descuction too. I see what you mean by "Meanest Nastiest 'Scariest'".
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
:Fire:
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

Bret4207
10-12-2008, 07:15 AM
I personally destroyed them all. I burnt the stocks and melted the receivers. See that slag pile over there in the corner. Yep, I'm a good party member. See my little red book on the shelf there....Heil Obama!

Nope - Never give them up. The ammo would be in a safe, discrete location along with the rifles. I figure I could outfit at least two squads of minutemen for a decent start of a revolution if it was required. Jeesh, I need to get the movie "Red Dawn" off the shelf when I get back from Iraq and review the study material.

Bruce

Didn't the good guys lose in Red Dawn? I ain't much for losing.:twisted:

Lloyd Smale
10-12-2008, 07:24 AM
not till every round of ammo in the house is used up keeping them from my door!

Jim
10-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Gun!? Heavens, no! The most dangerous thing we have around here is a Ball bat that I keep by my bed.

missionary5155
10-12-2008, 09:02 AM
As much as I like an M1 Garand... I would have to trade it for an M1A... availability of ammo. Handgun.. again I LIKE 41 mag... but ammo availability.. takes me to the 357 frame revolver... 38 special is worldwide and some 357 can be found and reloaded using 38 special.

sundog
10-12-2008, 09:20 AM
I can pick one of each - Ruger 9mm auto and a scoped .223 bolt gun Rem 700 or Savage. I can load for both and get surplus for both. Preferably a stash of other than ball ammo for each.

Are these really what I want? No. They are picked because I (and other family members) can possibly use them longer. With no ammo they are pretty much worthless. Each on their own offer some serious limitations. Certainly not ideal. Another thing, if you have to move, you can carry more ammo.

I really would like to have a 12 gauge pump to go along with this though - with a bunch of slugs, buck, and bird shot.

sundog
10-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Just had another thought if this is NOT a doomsday scenario and ammo is not a problem. I would pick a good quality 1911A1 and either a scoped Rem 700 or Savage bolt gun in .308. Kinda still want my 12 ga shotgun though.

mauser1959
10-12-2008, 09:38 AM
The way that I figure it , if the SHTF thing happens , A lot of my guns are gonna get buried in the Kiamichi Mnts of OK , and it would take a so much work to find them that you might as well call it impossible. As for the rest of the question, pick the guns that you have the most ammo for and are able to reload for. I for one doubt that we have a SHTF scenario for a few years , but if it does , I will have a hell of a time moving ammo. But as a lot of the canadians did when they got their gun registration , they went and had major boating accidents and the guns could not be found due to swift and deep water.

jim4065
10-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Wonder if the Australians did the same thing? Lots of empty space there, and GPS will take you right back. Kinda strange the way this thing progresses - UK, Australia, Canada....... Sure looks like a Karl Marx "March of History" type of thing.

Chilling. Not really worried about a breakdown of society - seems like the gun-grabbers will come around first. Lloyd has the right of it, but how many have the courage?

When I posed the question it was re: legislative gun grabs. "End of the World" would change my mind on the rifle to the AK Hunter, but only because of ammo. :coffee:

DLCTEX
10-12-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm keeping all of mine, what are you going to do about it?

rufracer
10-12-2008, 10:42 AM
*** people!!!. Are we really gonna let a law like that pass when we are the majority!!!? I say HELL NO!!! Why give them the option to come to your house to take your guns when you can go to theirs!
This is our resposability, not just our right.

but... if I must, i would have to say a barrett 82a1 and a kel-tec plr-16. if your gonna go, go all out.

NSP64
10-12-2008, 11:09 AM
A ruger MKII pistol and 10-22 rifle only have to carry 1 ammo. My 5000 rounds of CCI sub-sonic will do nicely. Let's here from some of the LEO members if they would enforce such a law.

kir_kenix
10-12-2008, 11:18 AM
If I was reduced to only one of each, then things have gone terribly, terribly wrong. I would probably choose a high quality 1911 with misc small parts to repair it, and an ar-15.

Realistically, a high cap 9mm with effective expanding ammo would be perfecty adaquate, do in part to ammo availabilty. Luckily, with all the casting equipment we all have (not to mention the equipped machine shops some have!), we could keep ourselves running for a loooong time, and hopefully earn some of our rights back.

Bullshop Junior
10-12-2008, 11:42 AM
How bout a contender? One gun. rifle, pistol and all the calibers you want. you can have 10-20-30+ barrels and its still considered one gun.
what what he would think or that??????
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

NSP64
10-12-2008, 11:43 AM
earn some of our rights back.

Rights are not earned

Bullshop
10-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Yes Sir if we can only have one then something went wrong. If something goes that wrong we will likely have issues with ammo and components too.
If that the case I will keep a rifle pistal combo in the same chambering. My choice would be my Ruger old model single six and Cooper mod 37 in 22 ccm.
Reasons, 1-cases seem indestructable, -2 about 1000 shots per lb powder -3 shoots boolits as well as bullets with full power loads,-4 full power loads will drop any game instantly with a well placed shot within a reasonable range, 100 yards,-5 cost per round about .05,-6 extream accuracy.
Nope it wont be a good choice to do battle with our gubment but what would?
Was shooting the rifle yesterday with some 55gn Corbin bullets swaged from 22 rf cases.
It shot sub moa at 100 with 7.4gn lil-gun at 2080 fps. Any fans of the 22wrm for comparison will only get just under 1600 fps with the 50gn load. The 22 wrm will get over 2000 fps but only with the very light bullets in the 30 gn range. So you see the cooper will better a cartridge with a very usefull power range at a far better price for ammo. Yes Sir if we have to consider shots per lb. powder and lead the Cooper give a lot from very little. I would have no trouble keeping my family supplied with game with it.
If anyone here either remembers first hand or has discussed the last depression with someone that lived it you can confirm how popular the 22 hornet was then for the same reasons.
BIC/BS

jim4065
10-12-2008, 01:04 PM

They won - there was a monument dedicated to the guerrilla "freedom fighters". Communists never have anything good to say about their adversaries.

NSP64
10-12-2008, 01:37 PM
22ccm????????
guess I'll Google it

Heavy lead
10-12-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't like this conversation.....But, my head tells me a 223 bolt gun, my CZ with iron sights and a scope, and a Ruger Blackhawk convertable 357/9mm, that would get me through armogeddon as well as anything I suppose. I wouldn't mind having a good bow around too. Silent and deadly, both on game and whatever else you might need dead.:roll:

Freightman
10-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Me to Dale! my family came to Texas in 1834 and the Mexicans couldn't get us out, proved that a San Jacinto, the Comanche couldn't so I recon Obama can not. I choose liberty not slavery vote FREEDOM not your pocketbook.

Old Ironsights
10-12-2008, 05:50 PM

The individuals lost. But the Russian/Cuban commander expressed his opinion that, seeing HOW they lost defined exactly how HE would eventually lose.

The Unwinnable Occupation & all that.

-----------------------

I'm with Bullshop - and set up in just that way. .357 Rifle & Pistol.

Everything else is both "mo-better" in specific circumstances but extraneous in the long run.

mike in co
10-12-2008, 08:18 PM
How bout a contender? One gun. rifle, pistol and all the calibers you want. you can have 10-20-30+ barrels and its still considered one gun.
what what he would think or that??????
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

'cause its too slow in real life situtations...may work for a single head of game but not for multiple adversaries.

floodgate
10-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Heavy Lead:

The .22 CCM (Cooper Center-Fire magnum) Bullshop is so (rightly!) fond of is really just the old .22-10-46 Maynard - via the 5.56 MM Velo-Dog - brought up to date: a straight rimmed case 1-3/16" long and 0.250" diameter, but using the modern .224" bullet diameter rather than the older 0.226"-0.228". The CCM itself was loaded HOT, but as Bullshop has pointed out, it works fine everywhere from .22 LR (or less) performance up to full throttle; think of a center-fire, reloadable .22 Magnum, but with even more performance potential. There was also a .17 CCM, made by necking down the cases. Fiocchi used to make the brass, but their quality control varied from bad to non-existent, so the cases are now a custom proposition; I have turned them out of 5/16" brass bar stock, to take a SP or SR primer; mine are for a relined "parts" Stevens No. 44, so I will stick to Maynard-level loads and BP.

Floodgate

PatMarlin
10-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Yes Sir if we can only have one then something went wrong. If something goes that wrong we will likely have issues with ammo and components too.
If that the case I will keep a rifle pistal combo in the same chambering. My choice would be my Ruger old model single six and Cooper mod 37 in 22 ccm.BIC/BS

What about birds Daniel?

I've pondered this question with hunting in mind and here I would need a shotgun of some type.

My Remington 870 12ga (for shot and slugs) and Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt would handle any man, beast, and hunting needs I would imagine. Not exactly powder friendly but darn effective.

sundog
10-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Freightman, nobama is more than likely very unaware of Texas history.... Another fight in the offing I fear.

jimkim
10-13-2008, 02:49 AM
Tell me of this "Gun" thing of which you speak.

EDK
10-13-2008, 03:19 AM
I like my assorted 44 RUGER Single Actions and MARLIN lever guns, BUT my choice would be a S&W revolver in either 22 or 357 and a MARLIN lever gun to mix or match...or possibly a good 45 ACP auto with a fitted 22 long rifle conversion unit and one of the above lever guns...more chances for some ammo with two or three choices. AND didn't someone come up with some kind of cylinder conversion so you could use 9mm in the 357 S&W?

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I live in Missouri and don't really care for the way things are going in Illinois. The party that "talks about representing the working class Americans...and doesn't" has Cook county (Chicago) Illinois as a poster child for their goals. Political corruption at various levels is a given and the "party who abandoned the middle class" doesn't have a good reply to the comment that they invented "vote early and vote often!" My only hope is that the polls are wrong...that the questions posed to voters were phrased in such a way that not answering "yes" for Obama would be an admission of racism, etc....and when the curtain is pulled in the voting booth, he gets a resounding "NO!" on his plans for "change"...for the worse!

The wife is going to visit her sister this week, 30 some miles past GRAFS' in Mexico MO. My 401K is in the toilet, but I'll still have her get me at least two 8 pound kegs of pistol powder. I'm good on 22 long rifle and primers and lead.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Boerrancher
10-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Hummm, One Handgun and one Rifle.... I like EDK live in good ole MO, and don't ever intend to be limited to just one of each, but it also depended on the situation. If I was going to have to use it to work, hunt, and defend the Farm, emphasis on work and hunt, then it would be my either my 44-40 rifle and pistol, or my 45LC rifle and pistol. One cartridge for both the rifle and the pistol. The rifle is good on coyotes out to 150 yards, and human sized targets out to about 200 yds. The single action pistol makes fast work of targets inside of 75 yds.

If the emphasis is on defend, It would be my M14 Springfield, and either my 1911 45acp, or my stainless Ruger GP100. The 308 win is one of the most readily available rounds in the world so brass and ammo would not be that hard to come by, and my M14 when you do all the right things is good out to 600+ yds. It would be a hard choice between my 1911 and GP100. Ammo for both is plentiful and easy to find. It is a hard choice between size and velocity. I would probably grab what ever I had the most ammo loaded for, that is how I would make my choice.

I am going to have to go to Columbia next week. I may just swing by Grafs' and pick up another 10 thousand Large Pistol and 8 lbs of Unique. I really don't have the money to spend but I would rather buy now then wait and not be able to after the first of the year. I think it is going to get real bad soon, and Neither of the two jokers running for president is going to keep it from happening. It will just be worse than really bad if a certain joker gets elected.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Bullshop Junior
10-15-2008, 07:07 PM
What about birds Daniel?

I've pondered this question with hunting in mind and here I would need a shotgun of some type.

My Remington 870 12ga (for shot and slugs) and Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt would handle any man, beast, and hunting needs I would imagine. Not exactly powder friendly but darn effective.
Pat up here the only bird worth shooting is a grouse and you can shoot them with a rifle easyly.
BIC/Daniel

PatMarlin
10-15-2008, 10:42 PM
You and your Dad are pretty tough no doubt. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 22 cal with those critters up there.

uncle joe
10-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Tell me of this "Gun" thing of which you speak.

I'm with jimkim
I thought this was a cast bullets forum, ain't nobody said we were to own GUNS
how politically incorrect do you think we are?

oops guess I better change my avitar huh?

Bullshop Junior
10-16-2008, 03:25 PM
I said 45/70 pat. im not the man that dad is.
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

CSH
10-16-2008, 04:08 PM
My only hope is that the polls are wrong...that the questions posed to voters were phrased in such a way that not answering "yes" for Obama would be an admission of racism, etc....and when the curtain is pulled in the voting booth, he gets a resounding "NO!" on his plans for "change"...for the worse!

I'm afraid the polls are pretty accurate. I see guys in this area who drive 4x4 trucks and have Obama/Biden stickers on the back. Never thought I would see that in north Alabama. This reminds me of 1992 when Clinton was elected. The economy wasn't actually all that bad, but the media did all they could to bolster that perception. Today the economy probably is bad, and regardless of who's to blame, public perception is that the GOP is primarily responsible (at least for the Wall Street meltdown). Unless Obama is caught redhanded in a major scandal within the next couple of weeks, he will be the next president. Hopefully the majority will shift in one house of Congress and we'll have gridlock for the next couple of years, which wouldn't be a bad thing. Of course, McCain is at best the lesser of 2 evils as far as gun owners are concerned, so even if he does manage to win I would expect to see some new gun legislation by next spring.

Heavy lead
10-16-2008, 04:13 PM
CHS, I think you are unfortunately right on. We'd better hope that the Dems Senate majority don't get to 60. The fillabuster and a couple of Rep. Senators that don't need sleep and drink coffee can keep us free for 4 years, they've done it before, oh, the beauty of the constitution. It's rough when the dems use it on us, but in reality the boys in the federelist papers really got that one right.

largom
10-16-2008, 04:36 PM
If I had to pick just one of each I would have to pick my Valmet O/U
12 Ga. over 30-06 and my Ruger SA 44 Mag. I have enough components
I could load for each for several years.
In regards to Obama, don't forget the next president will probably
select at least 2 supreme court judges and that could be the end of our
2 nd amendant.
Larry

nighthunter
10-16-2008, 04:55 PM
HMMMMMMM .... The ammunition would have to be reloadable. That rules out the rimfires. They could cut off the supply of the ammo right quick. For a rifle I would have to pick my 03-A3 in 30-06. It is dependable and accurate with cast and jacketed bullets. I have a good supply of brass, primers, powder and gas checks and the necessary WW for this caliber. For the handgun choice I would choose a 357 Mag. Again I have the components and the 357 Mag. is accurate and easy to reload for.
These are my choices. Don't get me wrong ...... I once had a great love for a lot of other calibers and designs of many brands. But like others here I sold my collection at the gun show 2 years ago to pay for my son's braces and his college education.
Dam .... my back hurts from digging that hole in the backyard today and then haveing to shovel all the dirt back in to fill it up. Someone seems to have stolen all my 8 inch PVC pipe and end caps recently. Maybe I should report this to the BO Police.

They ain't gettin mine while I am alive.

Nighthunter

CSH
10-16-2008, 05:22 PM
I've been wrong plenty of times and my wife will confirm that, but I don't believe our beloved Congresspeople would risk the backlash of a confiscation type bill for firearms. I doubt any of them have forgotten what happened in the 1994 elections that sent home a significant number of incumbents because of their vote for Clinton's crime bill. I see something along the lines of a GCA 68 plan that would grandfather existing firearms but prohibit the importation or domestic manufacture of new ones (and parts), along with a tax on primers (to close the reloader "loop hole") that would make ammunition purchases not quite prohibitive, but definitely a luxury (the tax would of course go toward educational purposes - anything for the kids). That would appease many hunters and other casual gun owners who don't buy a lot of ammo and are apathetic about non hunting applications for guns, which unfortunately would encompass most of the gun owners in this country.

mike in co
10-16-2008, 07:23 PM
i bought 20k of small rifle primers and 7200 22 cal bullets today.......not sure what i will do with them , now that i have sold all my guns.....
ohh my next buy is for pistol....

Gussy
10-16-2008, 08:03 PM
NO.........

But if I had to, 10 ga double flint muzzle loader. If it came down to it, I could make powder and shoot rocks.
Gus

Leadforbrains
10-16-2008, 08:15 PM
This is a good question that has come up many times before. Most every gun enthusiast has more than one type of firearm just for the sheer enjoyment of it. Being narrowed down to to one rifle and pistol for me would seem inconceivable. I guess it would basically boil down to your location, and what caliber selection would best serve one in putting meat on the table, and portability of those firearms and ammunition. Most gun folks I know have a ready stockpile of ammuniton and or reloading components at home to supply their shooting or hunting needs. What would you take if you had to leave your comfort zone and leave everything behind? I have some handguns and my choice out of what I have available would be a six inch Smith&Wesson 686. Good for anything from deer to rattlesnakes. Now that choice might be different for someone living in a rural part of Alaska. I have more than one rifle, so the same thing here also. It depends on where you are located at and if you are going to have to use it for feeding your family. I would probably go with a .22 rimfire of some sort or a shotgun for small game. A Shotgun would be a good multi purpose firearm because you could use it for hunting small or medium size game. It would also make a good choice self defense. That reminds me that I need to pick up another case of 7 1/2s. I already got plenty of buckshot and slugs.

.45Cole
10-16-2008, 08:18 PM
2015: "and after our ban on the evil guns that destroyed wall streeet, those evil doers in the NW corner of this peace loving country now have turned to shooting stones using advanced weaponry. I propose to ban all rocks so that our streets will be safer, and our kids will no longer have to live in fear for their lives."

felix
10-16-2008, 08:44 PM
A passport and REAL money for bribes along the way. ... felix

Heavy lead
10-16-2008, 09:24 PM
I've already posted an answer, but on reflection it would be hard to beat an 870 with a shot barrel and a rifled slug barrel, or even a smooth slug barrel with some Brenneke's, and a 10 shot extension. I have a similiar setup that's a 11-87, but in reality the 870 would be a better choice.

GabbyM
10-16-2008, 10:57 PM
If they take my gun it will be when I'm away from home.
Then they will know why they are afraid of the dark.

Even Obama isn't that stupid. A thing like confiscation would start a Civil War in this country.
All one needs to fight is a good mind and hickory stick with a three pound rock lashed to the end.
Their won't be an organized army to face as it will be in disarray with desertions. (a) The ones whom stayed to fight with the Communist have families back home. Those families will be put to the sword.

After 20 million or so dead and it's all burned out our enemies from around the world unite to attack us. Then things get ugly. Just when you thought things were bad!

Anyone whom thinks it can't happen needs to read a history book. Civilizations rise then fall. They rise for the same reasons then fall for the same reasons. Over and Over.

BO and Ayers worked together to place their Communist doctrine into Illinois schools.
Our young generation is extremely propagandized. My daughters turned out with clear heads.
I got my oldest in quite a bit of trouble at school a few times. Like when she was assigned to write a paper on how the civil war was fought to end slavery in the US. Notice my brothers I'm in the Land of Lincoln. I put her on tract to write a paper on the battle of Fort Sumter. Free trade and all that. Which places the North responsible for tariffs. Her Communist teacher gave her an F. Claimed the paper was “off subject”. By the time I found out about it her mother had already gone to the Principle to take issue with the grade. The grade was changed from the Fail to an A or B. This before mentioned was the most popular teacher in the school. Had his name in the papers at least once per month. Usually for some propaganda project he was running which most citizens found so wonderfully enlightening. All this happened during the time frame of BO and Ayers during their hey day in Illinois. Gone further left since then.

Most of you may know people like this. You need to keep mental notes of where they live.

BTW Slaves in this country freed themselves. Lincoln gets credit for presenting to them the opportunity to defect then join the Union Army. But that was a couple of years into the war. Those men fought and died in disproportionate number. When they returned home they were soldiers not slaves. The Confederacy was not fighting to preserve slavery.

Here in Illinois people like B.O. teach that Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves. The idea that men could stand up to the powers in charge to just say no scares the hell out of them. So they try to snuff that history from the American Experience.

As long as we are willing to die by the hundreds of thousands, or millions if need be. Our children will be free.
Their will come a time when that is needed. Unfortunately it's always that way throughout history.

Me I don't much care if I die in a fight or live to be older. Every good job I ever had is out sourced to Asia. My bilateral hernia makes hard work impossible. Don't have health insurance or money to pay the 13K$ for surgery to fix it. BO tries to play on my pain with his promises. :violin: With any luck those people with my job will educate their children as free thinkers. If you believe in that I've got a stock tip for you. Ppphh

We all are a force for freedom. A force to be feared. If one of us dies at the hand of an oppressor while we slumber in our bed. Survivors no longer live in peace so will slumber no more. Until our oppressors are vanquished from our presence.

You all don't expect to live forever do you?

If you want to read some well written talk of violence and murder just go to our enemies web sites.
They do it real well. They are so slick most read it and don't even realize they are trying to destroy everything we know and love about America. I'm just a clod whom screams out in the night.

I won't start a fight but I'll damned sure finish one. Have the police record to prove it too.

GabbyM
10-16-2008, 11:18 PM
I almost forgot.

A turn bolt Long Range rifle with scope. I'm a back shooter.

Full sized hand gun for anything under fifty yards.

May pass on the hand gun for more rifle ammo then a knife for up close. I'm not young so need to move light. Pocket pistols are handy but a grenade is more versitile in a pinch.

A bicycle to deploy your kit with is by far more stealthy than a car. Way better than humping it on foot.

GabbyM
10-16-2008, 11:30 PM
You have one rounds in your hand. What DO you do when surrounded by two thousand enemy.

Answer:

Kill them all

That is not a Saturday night joke. It's what our enemies should expect. Since that's what they'll get.

AS long as I have a vote I'll live in peace with my neighbor.

Navahojoe
10-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Ruger MKII, for pistol, SKS for rifle.

regards from North Alabama
NavahoJoe

Pepe Ray
10-17-2008, 11:12 AM
The last I heard, Obama still has NOT produced his original birth certificate.

I'll wager that he gets away w/it because gutless officials won't follow through
with their duties.
Pepe Ray

corvette8n
10-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Don't New Zealanders oil their lawns to keep their guns from rusting.

JesterGrin_1
10-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Some of you people scare me lol. But then again I am in South TEXAS. I really do not feel we will loose our rights to arms. And for the majority of gun owners all the gov would have to do is limit ammo. Think about it really how many people do you know that shoot guns on the average reload? I know that in my close and extended family I am the only one that does reload and they think I am nuts lol. I feel it is a very small number. I have read of one state that does mark the ammo that is being sold. Sorry I forget the particulars on this. And I have read on this thread where some have purchased what 20,000 primers. How in the world can you use that many primers not to mention you would need the powder for all of them and BOOLITS lol. Now if you are stock piling all of this up for not just yourself but your friends as well if need be that is great if you make sure they shoot the same round as you lol.

But to this end I have just started reloading about 1 year ago and thought I would reload for what I use most and will likely settle on if I have to.

To this end I would really thank the people here as reloading has been fun and a learning experience not to mention better shooting as well. I feel this forum and its good members is a valuable resource for veterans and newbie's alike.

S&W 686/Ruger Security Six and the Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag is one good combo. Lighter rounds to carry easy to reload and more boolits and powder per the pound.

S&W 629-4/ S&W 629 Classic and a Marlin 1894SS in .44 Mag they shoot well and will knock things down lol. Easy to reload for but you do use more lead and powder per bang.

And last of all the THUMP gun lol. Marlin 1895 GS in 45-70

Wish I did reload for shotguns but one can not have it all.

Yes I will have a hard time to pick a combo lol. :)

Old Ironsights
10-17-2008, 01:53 PM
When I was shooting IPSC 20K primers for my .45 would last less than a year.

At my current rate of use, I will go through 20K small pistol primers in less than 8 years.
I shoot around 2000-3000 .357s a year.

Between .45-70 & .357 8lbs of 2400 runs out to an average of 3K loads for me.

So keeping 20K-50K primers & 16-24lbs of powder is not at all hoarding/SHTF stockpiling in my mind...

jlb300
10-17-2008, 01:57 PM
BTW every other component less primers ,is readily accesable. We can make powder cast our own bullets reload and make various brass sizes. The primers are the key. Why is it too far fetched to think that some liberal would make that component a problem to obtain?

JesterGrin_1
10-17-2008, 01:59 PM
I was not knocking the fact that people purchase some things in high volume. Sorry if it did look that way.

For me since I do not shoot in comp of any kind I only use rounds for working up loads and to make sure my arms shoot where they should for hunting or any other personal need that may arise. :)

So I keep the needed things to load about 2000 rounds of the listed rounds I load for.

jim4065
10-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Got to admit that I buy more than I can use, but I'm wanting to recoup my squandered wealth by selling the excess at outrageously inflated prices when the supply dries up - capitalism at work!

Seriously - how does $10 a cartridge sound? Primers a buck apiece? Boolits for a penney a grain - with FREE lube! (Don't want to appear greedy.)

:bigsmyl2:

Bullshop Junior
10-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Somthing I doent understand, is why do you think you can overpower the goverment? telling me that a contender is not fast enough, and saying that you will shoot all of the 2000 men. I doent care if you have a quad 50, you cant overpower the goverment. If it comes down to one rifle and one pistol, you want somthing that is accurate, and somthing that will cover all type of game, for survival. NOT a SKS/AK47 and a 1911. A 30/06 is ideal, becouse you have a wide range of bullets and boolits. you can kill and thing alive with it, and if it is accurate you can shoot somthing at long range if you need to. the somthing like a 357 pistol. you got a wide range of game you can shoot with a 357 when you can also shoot 38 SPLs in it. or like a said a 45/70 for big game, and a ruger mark II 22 for small game. If you keep your SKS, when you need meat you will wish you had somthing else.
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

Bullshop
10-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Like Jr. is saying if your talking survival you have to clarify what your trying to servive.
Are you talking armed rebellion against a gov. gone awry or are you talking post wallmart America?
I think he has the right idea in that one type firearm will overlap both uses. That would be a long range precision rifle. An individual can not for long support a volume of fire as in a close range fire fight with auto loading weapons.
On the other hand a good man with a good rifle can keep at bay from a distance a large force of men. That was proven by Carlose Hathcock.
Its really easy to envision yourself as a Johny Rambo but if you factor in all the details and punch the compute key who will really come out on top.
The only way an individual or small group can opose a much greater force is to use gorilla tactics. Read about Castners Cut throats and how a small group of men reaked havok on the Japanese ocupation of Alaska.
Hit, run, and covserve supplies. It takes a tole on enemy not only in lost personal and supply but also in moral.
If it were ever to come to anything like this we will have to be sharp both in shooting and whit. A bumbling fool will be easy to kill or disarm, like the old lady in the news after katrina that showed her gun and was tackled and disarmed.
Wow I didnt mean to ramble on this or even give glimps of my thoughts on a post constitutional USA, but there it is and I am not feeling as foolish as I thought I may.
God help us!
Blessings
BIC/BS

Old Ironsights
10-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Well, to address Jr... the VC & Mujahdeen seem to have done OK...

But really it's post-wallmart & riots/looters from the collapsing Urban Ratholes that will be of most concern initially...

Bullshop
10-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Well, to address Jr... the VC & Mujahdeen seem to have done OK...

But really it's post-wallmart & riots/looters from the collapsing Urban Ratholes that will be of most concern initially...
True, but we are not likely to be an organised force as they were.

BIC/BS

Jim
10-18-2008, 01:32 PM
I've been through this thread now and have given it some thought. If it's government authorized confiscation that will come to my door, I'll be one of the many that will die defending our rights. I DO know what's gonna happen to the first guy through the door, though.

If it's survival that I have to face, I can keep my wife and I alive very well without any firearms at all. I seriously doubt if we'll be eatin' any steak, but we'll live through it.

If it's looters that I'll be threatened with, my response will be what Dick Chaney said after they hit the towers.

"MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOULS, 'CAUSE WE WON'T."

Old Ironsights
10-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Organization is all about picking your fights and building operations groups over time to achieve tactical victories. Depending on the goal, that can be done with one operative alone or many in concert.

Resistence is almost always disorganized - both at first, and by necessity. Too much organization means easier rounding-up. Cellular OGs with unstructured heirarchies work best.

PatMarlin
10-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Got to admit that I buy more than I can use, but I'm wanting to recoup my squandered wealth by selling the excess at outrageously inflated prices when the supply dries up - capitalism at work!

Seriously - how does $10 a cartridge sound? Primers a buck apiece? Boolits for a penney a grain - with FREE lube! (Don't want to appear greedy.)

:bigsmyl2:

LOL.. :mrgreen:

PatMarlin
10-18-2008, 02:39 PM
The last I heard, Obama still has NOT produced his original birth certificate.

I'll wager that he gets away w/it because gutless officials won't follow through
with their duties.
Pepe Ray

And that should be the basis for impeachment if he gets in office damitt!.. :evil:

Jim
10-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Here's something to think about: If he gets in and then gets out by whatever circumstances, who's gonna be the POTUS then? We're gonna be out of the pan and in the fire.

Bullshop
10-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Jim your right about them looters. Living where I do I dont think we need to worry about that. The folks in the population centers have my simpathy though.
One thing for sure though as anytime there is an ocupying force they control or at least try to the cities. The rural land is not so easily controled. Like in Bible times they could lay siege on a city and starve it into submission. Its hard to starve a guy that can live in the woods.
Right now we are sitting pretty good. We have a three year wood supply put up, we put 2000lb of potatoes in the root seller, put up about 50 cases of caned meat and veggies, and have stocked about 2000 lbs of rice,beans,corn,wheat, barley and wheat flour. Hope to head out to get more caribou next week. Sound radical? We will see!
Blessings
BIC/BS

waksupi
10-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Those who haven't read it, read Sun Tzu's, "The Art of War".

It is available free online.

Old Ironsights
10-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Doesn't matter whether BO wins or loses, I'm likely screwed.

Here's a link that is rather bone chilling. It's Obama's cousin that tried to over throw Kenya which used to be a peaceful country. He didn't win the election so his followers rioted something awful. http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/5411 The bad thing is, Obama went over and campaigned for him.

This voter fraud is as criminal as it gets. This is of course Democrats trying to fix the election and act as if it's perfectly ok. Can you imagine if the Republicans tried anything like this. the news would be all over it. What's funny is, the main stream Obamamaniamedia knows everything there is to know about Joe the plumber in 24 hrs and has been digging up dirt on him for asking a simple question but they haven't asked one thing about Ayres, Resko, Al-Monsour, Farrakhan, etc. The list is too long to go into!

Voter fraud, terrorists ties, bogus school records? --- these donkeys have used our Constitution for toilet paper.
Even James Carville had prognostigated Riots if Obama loses... runs in the "family" I guess.

Living as near Chicago/Gary as I do, in a town with a 2 Prisons and an Execution Table, you have no idea how "hot" I'm going to be rolling on Nov. 5, 6 and possibly longer.

If the DNC/ACORN/Daley Outfit, Obama et.al somehow fail to rig the election enough to secure a DemSoc win it's going to get bloody real fast... And I'm BETWEEN Chicago & Detroit.

I wish I had never gotten rid of my body armor.

PatMarlin
10-18-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm covetous Daniel.... :mrgreen: You're way stocked more than us, but you do have more mouths to feed than just me and my wife, and my wife eats like a bird.. :mrgreen:

THat's great. This spring I'm diggin out a big root cellar and build it with concrete and cinder block. I'm debating on adding a second floor cause it would point right to my range target and make a nice gun room. Open the window and shoot.

Didn't Clinton say not to hoard?.. :mrgreen:

Jim
10-18-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm not real worried about looters. First, Jones and Gretchen, our dogs, will pick up the motion and go off. Ever heard a pair of 50 BMGs goin' off at the same time? If the fools continue to try to gain entry, Gretchen's gonna rip out chunks that would overflow a big hamburger bun. She lives to kill. Actually, I'm kinda hopin' they'll hear the dogs and change their minds 'cause if they come through the front door, there won't be enough left to justify a body bag.

Heavy lead
10-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Now's the time to get the feeder pigs. They can eat the looters. Just like on Deadwood-Al Swearangin style.

Bullshop
10-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Pat, my grand parents were Itialian imagrents and raised a family through the other depression. They hoarded food until they died in thier late 80's.
I think it wise at this time to follow thier lead.
Locally here we have a number of Russian families that had lived in Siberia. They got here about the same time we did about 15 years ago. They are buying local barley by the ton and storing it in anything they can find to keep it dry. I respect thier opinion!
Exciting and interesting times we are living in! My but this thread has taken on a different tone!
Blessings
BIC/BS

Old Ironsights
10-18-2008, 09:27 PM
The wife & I have probably 3 months worth of good eating or 6 months of rations... not including the freezer... AND we can carry it if we need to.

Start with the "Mormon 4" (whole wheat, powdered milk, salt & honey) and build from there.

50lbs of rice goes a LONG way...

I'm afraid only one of our cats would be anywhere useful as a "watch cat"... and only then if I'm home. He's pretty protective of me specifically, but nothing generally.

Navahojoe
10-18-2008, 10:23 PM
The thread was one rifle, one handgun, you have my choices, the Ruger MK II, and the SKS. I showed this thread to my wife and her choices are different.:mrgreen:
Her choice is the Buckmark .22 and the 870 Wing Master, 12 gauge. Ammo for both can be found everywhere, from Wally Mart, Acer Hardware, the country grocery,, you name it.
Now, since I don't have to make"that" choice, I am going to throw in my Ruger .45 Colt, along with the .45 Auto cylinder. Again, .45 auto ammo is easily obtained same places. Not so easily as .40 cal or 9 MM, but easy enough.

I'm thinking in terms of riots and civil disobedience. Adapt and improvise, evade, and survive, will be the order of the day.

The 12 ga. is a man or beast stopper with 00 buck, and the SKS will off some rounds in a hurry. The SKS and 12 Ga. will be dropped when they run out of ammo, replaced with whatever is found or taken. The MKII and Buckmark will be with us until I die or they can no longer, however unlikely, be supplied with ammo. :Fire:

The Whitetail Deer is the largest animal around this neck of the woods. The lowly rim fire .22 has been weapon of choice for poachers since the inception of this round. Need I say more? The Aquila Super Colbri is quiet and deadly to 25 yrds. I can not shoot the eye out of a squirrel at 25 yards, maybe, but, after putting one of those colbri rounds thru it's brisket, I can make it slow down so I can hit it in the head with a stick.:twisted: And as mentioned earlier, shooting from behind, or from ambush, could you think of anything, quieter, or deadlier, other than a crossbow? And we are talking about pistols, rifles, remember?
Our butts, Our choices.
regards from North Alabama
NavahoJoe

rhead
10-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Didn't Clinton say not to hoard?..

One more good reason to do it. Did he ever tell us the truth about anything?

Ammo avalibility may be confined to what is in your store room. At least look for the price to go through the roof.

Down South
10-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Me too Dale. I may have to burry many at undisclosed locations along with ammo if it did come down to it.

I'd keep more than a couple though. The 642 and .44 Mag would stay. Maybe one of my S&W 40's. I'd keep one of my 12 gauge shotguns. I haven't made my mind up on what rifle but I'd keep one 22 rim fire and one big rifle.
I do keep a good stock of reloading components that would keep me or my family going for years.

Oh wait, darn I forgot. I sold all of my guns and ammo to some guy at a gun show a year or so ago.

You know I've been thinking (dangerous thing for me). I would be willing to bet if Obama does go in and it does look like he will. There may be another scare where folks start buying up all of the reloading components, ammo and such that they can. Availability of these components will be scarce and prices high. Soooooo, if any of you folks are getting low on something, now may be a good time to buy.

JesterGrin_1
10-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Serious ? here folks. And please be honest. I know hard for some lol. I know reloading components are expensive now but does everyone here honestly think we will really need to worry about the availability of reloading components in the near future such as powder and primers?

PatMarlin
10-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Serious ? here folks. And please be honest. I know hard for some lol. I know reloading components are expensive now but does everyone here honestly think we will really need to worry about the availability of reloading components in the near future such as powder and primers?

I for one think if OBama gets in- it's a real possibilty because I just read a letter from a IL LEO who has come up against Obama's constant assault on gun owners and the industry as a whole.

I'll get a copy of it and post it. It is recent and shocking, on ILPD stationary. Looks like the real deal to me.

Naphtali
10-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Were the situation to become as gloomy as you foresee, perhaps groups of citizens will turn about the court system as have many environmental groups and municipal governments. The idea is to stall implementation of undesirable legislation/regulation with law suits and injunctions until subsequent election(s) alter the political division.
Having your firearms but needing to hide/bury them because its slammer time if you're caught using them is no way to live. Were we as rough and tumble as we think we are when we look in the mirror, we would continue to use them as we have -- civil disobedience. A government that incarcerates thousands of its most [otherwise] law-abiding citizens for the same violation will either collapse or relent. As Gandhi said: First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
To respond to the actual query, I would keep two stainless steel guns that chambered 45-70 basis cases -- Marlin M1895 and either Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh or Super Redhawk 480 Ruger. This allows me to shoot pistol brass in the rifle in a pinch. Stainless steel would require less diligent maintenance and the combination is nearly ideal for the area where I hunt.