PDA

View Full Version : FFL Licenses & Options Explained

texasmac
01-31-2019, 05:20 PM
I realize that the majority of you guys are not FFL holders. But I thought I’d provide a handy reference for those of you that may have questions now and then. I have a Type 1 FFL (by far the most common) and have been somewhat confused about the other types and options prior to putting the following chart together.

Wayne

https://i.imgur.com/0Lxk2Xu.jpg

JBinMN
01-31-2019, 08:09 PM
Thank You! for taking the time & sharing that chart!
:)

I appreciate it.

TNsailorman
01-31-2019, 10:53 PM
Yes, Thanks for putting that together for us. It should be a "Sticky". [smilie=s:

4t5
02-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Thanks for this. It is a great reference.

Hossfly
02-01-2019, 11:16 AM
Thanks, I always wondered about all those numbers as to what they meant, now I know and have printed for my wall. So if any inquiring minds want to know there it is.

texasmac
02-01-2019, 12:30 PM
Guys,

You are very welcome.

Wayne

john.k
02-05-2019, 05:54 PM
Can anyone explain what a SOT/Special occupational taxpayer /licence is and why it costs so much?

JBinMN
02-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Can anyone explain what a SOT/Special occupational taxpayer /licence is and why it costs so much?

Special Tax Registration and Return National Firearms Act (NFA) (ATF Form 5630.7)

Federal Firearms Licensee’s (FFLs) who engage in Importing, Manufacturing or Dealing in NFA firearms are required to file this form and pay the special occupational tax.

Source:https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/special-tax-registration-and-return-national-firearms-act-nfa-atf-form-56307

More info: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/when-must-firearms-special-occupational-taxes-be-paid-and-how-much-are-taxes

IMO, costly because it deals with NFA firearms, & is probably the main reason it is so expensive, but it also covers a lot of different specialties like Importing, Mnfr, etc., of NFA firearms, (<machine guns/automatic firearms,etc.) and the US Gooberment likes to charge a lot for such things.
;)

If you go to the ATF site like I just did to get those basic links, it is likely your questions will be better answered, although perhaps someone here deals with having one, & may be answer here also. { Fish4Bugs, a member here, I think is someone who may have one possibly. He seems to come to mind as a possible holder of one of these. IDK :???: )

I just try to point folks in the direction & wait to see if they actually want to know & go there to find out what they seek. The rest is up to you I reckon.
;)

john.k
02-05-2019, 07:56 PM
OK,thanks ...I get it...only for full auto stuff............I was thinking it applied to any gunsmith /manufacturer/importer.

JBinMN
02-05-2019, 09:35 PM
OK,thanks ...I get it...only for full auto stuff............I was thinking it applied to any gunsmith /manufacturer/importer.

YW!
:drinks:

Smoke4320
02-06-2019, 02:16 PM
I am an SOT Class 3 dealer and yes its required for selling full auto weapons and suppressors .. I sell a good many suppressors . Once you hunt/shoot with one you will understand why ..